Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

Brutal Love is amazing. Whole trilogy is great and extremely well written. I don't think it deserves the lack of love it receives but to each his own. I am glad they aren't doing anything live as long as they keep the good deep cuts in there. Listened to Dos today, fucking great listen, these albums won't be remembered or loved like AI or anything before it but it's some damn good quality material between the three albums, IMO Tre being the best. No room for these songs in the set now though and why did they credit Jason as Quatro and all over the albums and then for RevRad it's kinda like, bah, he isn't all that important. Would be alright to have a surprise track from any of the three albums in the set each night, if it were random and well chosen.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, St. Jonny said:

Brutal Love is amazing. Whole trilogy is great and extremely well written. I don't think it deserves the lack of love it receives but to each his own. I am glad they aren't doing anything live as long as they keep the good deep cuts in there. Listened to Dos today, fucking great listen, these albums won't be remembered or loved like AI or anything before it but it's some damn good quality material between the three albums, IMO Tre being the best. No room for these songs in the set now though and why did they credit Jason as Quatro and all over the albums and then for RevRad it's kinda like, bah, he isn't all that important. Would be alright to have a surprise track from any of the three albums in the set each night, if it were random and well chosen.

Jason played on Uno Dos Tre along with the other members so he got credited for it, he didn't play on RevRad so he didn't. I think it's as simple as that really, obviously didn't suit them/him for him to play on the album this time for whatever reasons (having cancer and working on his own band possibly among them) but he's still in the band as live guitarist. Totally agree about the trilogy!

• Like 1

There are a few good songs on the Trilogy, just not enough to make them good albums. ;) My favourites are Brutal Love, Lazy Bones, The Forgotten, Angel Blue and of course Fuck Time. Thinking about it, those are probably also the only for songs on there that I really, really like.

11 minutes ago, JOE THE X-KID said:

I like revrad a lot, more than the trilogy but the trilogy took more risks and its a fun listen 

I think it's the reverse for me. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MMwhatsername said:

Brutal Love is a masterpiece. First time I actually cried at a GD show in 2013 at Rock am Ring when they played it. For me, it's the perfect closer, because I love to see the whole band on stage for the last song. It's not that I don't like Good Riddance, but Brutal Love is so full of energy and emotion and way better in my opinion. It makes me sad that it's never been a single, it would be an awesome radio anthem. I really wish they will put it back on the setlist one day.

I loved Brutal Love followed by Good Riddance at Brixton in 2013, couldn't get a more perfect ending! Can't complain too much about it being gone since I've already got to see it but it would be great if they brought it back.

• Like 4

Oh Love is my least favourite music video basically ever =/ It's uncomfortable to watch and in many ways disappointing. I just watched it for the second or third time ever, and... yeah, still no.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Wretched & Divine said:

Oh Love is my least favourite music video basically ever =/ It's uncomfortable to watch and in many ways disappointing. I just watched it for the second or third time ever, and... yeah, still no.

I watched it twice. It's just boring. Billie looks good in it but not even that is enough. 

I don't know how unpopular it is: I like Bang Bang the video. I saw it on TV this evening and thought it fits the song very well. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Wretched & Divine said:

I remember being so very pissed off when I first saw that video (kinda still annoyed by it, but I'm willing to forgive and forget that one). Green Day had never put out a serious video about partying with half-naked chicks before. The women in a video like Holiday weren't meant to be taken seriously, but these women were. That distinction, and the idea that Green Day had become that band, really bothered me. That video went against everything I always thought them to be, and put me off of the Trilogy right away.

Things got worse before they got better, but now we've got a good thing going on. :happy:

• Like 2

They definitely made that video a little better for the guys! Not too much happens, just the guys jammin' out with some beers while the ladies hang around and watch. For a guy, this is clearly more entertaining than for a female fan who I can see would have no use for the video. But Billie does look damn good rite? 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, St. Jonny said:

They definitely made that video a little better for the guys! Not too much happens, just the guys jammin' out with some beers while the ladies hang around and watch. For a guy, this is clearly more entertaining than for a female fan who I can see would have no use for the video. But Billie does look damn good rite? 

29 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

I watched it twice. It's just boring. Billie looks good in it but not even that is enough. 

I don't know how unpopular it is: I like Bang Bang the video. I saw it on TV this evening and thought it fits the song very well. 

When I say disappointing, I mean more in the sense that I never imagined they'd stoop to the level of such blatant objectification as they did with that video. Green Day had always felt safe, where as a woman I could have faith these were some good men who might have a little more respect on the whole for women. Billie looks good, but that's not nearly enough to save it for me. Dark times.

2 minutes ago, stories and songs said:

I remember being so very pissed off when I first saw that video (kinda still annoyed by it, but I'm willing to forgive and forget that one). Green Day had never put out a serious video about partying with half-naked chicks before. The women in a video like Holiday weren't meant to be taken seriously, but these women were. That distinction, and the idea that Green Day had become that band, really bothered me. That video went against everything I always thought them to be, and put me off of the Trilogy right away.

Things got worse before they got better, but now we've got a good thing going on. :happy:

You've perfectly put my thoughts into words. I never would have expected a video like that from them, so it was a pretty rough way to realise maybe these guys weren't the people I had always believed them to be :( It started them off completely on the wrong foot and then the Trilogy just all went downhill from there. I understand Billie was ill, but I do question why the other guys went along with it. Something I think is better not to think about, because I do believe they're all good people. Still :dry:

Just now, St. Jonny said:

You're basing this on the assumption that all of us are straight. I'm not, but that's irrelevant to what a sharp downward turn they took in my eyes with that video, and that was what set the tone for the Trilogy from the off :ermm:

• Like 2

My distaste for the Oh Love video was punctuated by interviews where they described the trilogy as being all about sexual tension and shooting from the crotch and I was like, "What the hell is this? This isn't you." I peaced out for a while after that. 

It is hard to describe just how happy I am that whole period is behind us. It kinda just sucked all around. The Trilogy has some great songs but it just wasn't worth everything that it brought with it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Wretched & Divine said:

When I say disappointing, I mean more in the sense that I never imagined they'd stoop to the level of such blatant objectification as they did with that video. Green Day had always felt safe, where as a woman I could have faith these were some good men who might have a little more respect on the whole for women. Billie looks good, but that's not nearly enough to save it for me. Dark times.

You've perfectly put my thoughts into words. I never would have expected a video like that from them, so it was a pretty rough way to realise maybe these guys weren't the people I had always believed them to be :( It started them off completely on the wrong foot and then the Trilogy just all went downhill from there. I understand Billie was ill, but I do question why the other guys went along with it. Something I think is better not to think about, because I do believe they're all good people. Still :dry:

You're basing this on the assumption that all of us are straight. I'm not, but that's irrelevant to what a sharp downward turn they took in my eyes with that video, and that was what set the tone for the Trilogy from the off :ermm:

I see what you mean, I found it disappointing in that aspect as well. I can't say it ruined my beliefs about them but it did annoy me - few things are worse than guys staring at half naked chicks with beers in their hands. Ok, each time I watched it my faith in men died a little. :sick:

I wouldn't blame Billie or the band for the video - the director and other people who created it definitely have more responsibility.

And yeah, I can't really see the appeal of it when the women portrayed as objects for men's pleasure. That's a huge turn off for me.

3 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

I see what you mean, I found it disappointing in that aspect as well. I can't say it ruined my beliefs about them but it did annoy me - few things are worse than guys staring at half naked chicks with beers in their hands. Ok, each time I watched it my faith in men died a little. :sick:

I wouldn't blame Billie or the band for the video - the director and other people who created it definitely have more responsibility.

And yeah, I can't really see the appeal of it when the women portrayed as objects for men's pleasure. That's a huge turn off for me.

So you're saying the band had no say so in the oh love video? You do know it doesn't work that way right?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AmyxLongview said:

Oh Love video is disgusting and their worst music video. 

Said it 100 times - worst thing they are done - but I love the song:)

6 hours ago, stories and songs said:

Brutal Love is probably my favorite song of theirs, and possibly my favorite song, period. There's something so visceral about it. Brilliantly written and so emotionally performed. 

When BJ pulls his shirt to the side & says flesh in Brutal Love is probably one of my favourite things to watch - fangirl moment:ga:

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, stories and songs said:

My distaste for the Oh Love video was punctuated by interviews where they described the trilogy as being all about sexual tension and shooting from the crotch and I was like, "What the hell is this? This isn't you." I peaced out for a while after that. 

It is hard to describe just how happy I am that whole period is behind us. It kinda just sucked all around. The Trilogy has some great songs but it just wasn't worth everything that it brought with it.

I think I've managed to block out a lot of what surrounded the Trilogy, mercifully, as I have no idea what you're talking about and intend to promptly forget about it :lol: My excitement didn't even last long enough to make it to the release of Dos, thinking about it. I jumped off the train and stayed off before that. I entirely agree the Trilogy doesn't really seem worth everything that was dragged along behind it, but also if it was what they needed to go through in order to come out of it stronger and more united as both people and a band, then I can live with it. Plus it did give us Brutal Love :wub:

30 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

It didn't exactly ruin my view of them, but it sure tainted it for a long time =/ Not so much Billie because I know he wasn't well, but he's only one guy in what was a band of four at the time :ermm: And to be honest I don't think any creative decisions are made without the band's final approval, so ultimately it does rest on them whether the original concept was theirs or not.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Wretched & Divine said:

I think I've managed to block out a lot of what surrounded the Trilogy, mercifully, as I have no idea what you're talking about and intend to promptly forget about it :lol: My excitement didn't even last long enough to make it to the release of Dos, thinking about it. I jumped off the train and stayed off before that. I entirely agree the Trilogy doesn't really seem worth everything that was dragged along behind it, but also if it was what they needed to go through in order to come out of it stronger and more united as both people and a band, then I can live with it. Plus it did give us Brutal Love :wub:

Congrats on blocking those bits out, I'm happy for you. :lol: I agree, though—everything that has happened has gotten us here, which is a point I feel pretty grateful for. I wish that stuff didn't need to happen, but it did happen, so now what's left is to be so super happy and proud of what the result is. 

@Hermione Billie probably should've been shirtless to make it more equal, then. :P 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Meh I think the Oh Love video was just badly executed. It was supposed to be more like they were characters, rockstars and models hanging out together and fancying each other and being outrageous, all about feeling lust to represent the song. But it's not pulled off well at all and just looks like the band as themselves posing with models awkwardly. I think if it had been done more over the top/directed and acted better so it was obvious they were playing characters it could've worked. Wasn't offended by the idea of it, rockstars lusting after models because they're models and models lusting after rockstars because they're rockstars seems a fairly even thing. Also on the plus side Billie is hot in it :P 

Everything I read about the video is that it was supposed to mock the "rockstar" lifestyle, so I think you are right in your assessment

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stories and songs said:

@Hermione Billie probably should've been shirtless to make it more equal, then. :P 

He should. Like I said badly executed though :P 

• Like 1

• lizziebix featured this topic