Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

6 hours ago, tresexy101 said:

Another unpopular GD opinion could be writing a shite load of songs while on pills and alcohol and actually thinking they sound good (Billie, you read me)?

Can't blame him for that one. Everything sounds much better when you're high. Except for Queen. I can't stand their music on parties. 

20 hours ago, Scattered Wreck said:

How someone perceives anything is subjective.  I perceive it as being forced and fake and you do not.  Neither one of us is wrong.

No, actually you are wrong though. Yes everyone perceives things differently, but we use information to develop factual realities. I could perceive something, but when presented with evidence that I saw it the wrong way, you'd think a rational mind would change. They made Insomniac out of intimate anger and bitterness, and for you to ignore over a decade of interviews and evidence just shows that you are not willing to believe the world is different from how you perceive it. That's why people keep harping on you for this: you're literally ignoring fact because of how you feel.

Well, here I go again: Can't understand why so many people seems to hate youngblood lyrics. Ok, it's not a deep song, it's not complex, but hell, isn't it supposed to be a young love song? I guess is a song that trys to play with/capture the spirit of an adolescent in love and kind overwhelmed by that feeling, in a good way. It's like "WOW FUCK, CAN'T BELIVE I FOUND A GIRL SO AWESOME". I don't know, it's simple, and some may say silly, but isn't young love like that?

2 hours ago, Tea Cool said:

I hated Homecoming, Warning is my favorite album and the trilogy was actually pretty good.

I like homecoming. But agree with you about the trilogy and also love warning (maybe it's not my favorite, but give me warning over AI, 21CB or RevRad any day).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tea Cool said:

I hated Homecoming, Warning is my favorite album and the trilogy was actually pretty good.

Warning is my favourite, but Homecoming is a masterpiece. Don't care for the Trilogy enough to debate it either way :lol:

5 hours ago, henrybr said:

Well, here I go again: Can't understand why so many people seems to hate youngblood lyrics. Ok, it's not a deep song, it's not complex, but hell, isn't it supposed to be a young love song? I guess is a song that trys to play with/capture the spirit of an adolescent in love and kind overwhelmed by that feeling, in a good way. It's like "WOW FUCK, CAN'T BELIVE I FOUND A GIRL SO AWESOME". I don't know, it's simple, and some may say silly, but isn't young love like that?

I like homecoming. But agree with you about the trilogy and also love warning (maybe it's not my favorite, but give me warning over AI, 21CB or RevRad any day).

The spirit of adolescent, young love doesn't exactly feel allright coming from a 44-year-old. 

21 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

The spirit of adolescent, young love doesn't exactly feel allright coming from a 44-year-old. 

It depends on how young do you feel inside :D Actually, I agree with you, but I still prefer Youngblood lyrics over 1000 hours which is too much for me though, cuz I'm not really a romantic person in general

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ellen Caulfield said:

It depends on how young do you feel inside :D Actually, I agree with you, but I still prefer Youngblood lyrics over 1000 hours which is too much for me though, cuz I'm not really a romantic person in general

Not saying he's too old for love songs, just that the youthfulness doesn't feel the same as it does on Kerplunk or 1,039. I'm not into romantic songs either and I do think 1,000Hours is terribly mushy but it's still much more forgiveable when a teenager writes a song like that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ellen Caulfield said:

I don't think he's too old for this type of songs either but as @Wretched & Divine said I consider this song as looking at your past feelings and make a new song out of it. I mean your memories can take you back. Don't know if you like Sweet 16, but I see those two songs being from the same perspective of looking back. Don't know which one I like better because neither of them are much interesting for me. But to be honest I don't have a "big" problem with lyrics on Youngblood, the only thing that I don't like about this song is a quite boring chorus lyrically and musically actually too, you know.. :D And I think that line like getting drunk and falling into hedges is quite honest and amusing at the same time, like making a fool of yourself and don't feel ashamed for it, being looser but being able to fall in love at least. It's quite fun song to listen to but nothing ground breaking, but many things aren't, that's fine. I'm still able to enjoy this song pretty much which is the most important thing for me right now :D 

I'm not too keen on either but prefer Youngblood. It's a fun song in fact. Not impressive but I don't hate it. 

• Like 1

I think the problem with Youngblood is that people, myself included, judged the song by its title before hearing it. I was expecting it to be awesome based on the title... but unfortunately it isn't. It isn't a bad song, it just isn't what I hoped it would be.

11 hours ago, henrybr said:

The problem is that it's far more simple and silly than any of the young love songs he wrote when he actually was young, it's trying far too hard and it's just painfully cheap and contrived.

• Like 3

I'm sure this has probably been said before but I was really hoping for a angsty, simple punk rock album in the vein of Insomniac or Nimrod this go around. While songs like Youngblood and Bouncing of a Wall seem to pull inspiration from that era it doesn't feel the same. I think a huge part of that is Billie Joe seems a lot softer to me than he did in the early 90s. I'm a bit exhausted over the dressed up feel of their recent albums (excluding the trilogy obviously) and would love something more stripped down and basic.

• Like 2

I'm kind of bummed they've ruled out playing any Trilogy songs for the foreseeable future, even though I completely understand their reasoning for it. There are a handful of songs on those records I adore, and it makes me sad not knowing if I'll ever get to hear Brutal Love or Carpe Diem live.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RougeRogue said:

No one seems to be seeing this song as two people still able to find their youth within a 20+ year relationship. It's not about finding young love coming from a 44 year old at all. If you want that, take a look at a number of trilogy songs. This song is about looking at the person you're with, that you've been with for ages and you see the wrinkles and lines and you've been through a lot...but you still see the youth, the spunk, the fire that brought you together in the first place. When I hear Youngblood, I hear Billie looking at Adrienne and thinking "Yep, she's still the girl I fell in love with."

I agree with your interpretation but seeing it this way just doesn't make the lyrics any less corny. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Whatsername_123 said:

I think the problem with Youngblood is that people, myself included, judged the song by its title before hearing it. I was expecting it to be awesome based on the title... but unfortunately it isn't. It isn't a bad song, it just isn't what I hoped it would be.

I honestly thought the song was going to be about a gang/someone in a gang or something similar to that based on the title

1 minute ago, iScottie said:

It triggers me that Billie Joe can't remember "introverted" in Armatage Shanks.

What do you mean?

9 minutes ago, Libertine Angel said:

What do you mean?

Watching all of the recent performances of "Armatage Shanks" and it almost always sounds like Billie Joe is mumbling something other than "introverted" during the "introverted deviot" part.

Just now, iScottie said:

Watching all of the recent performances of "Armatage Shanks" and it almost always sounds like Billie Joe is mumbling something other than "introverted" during the "introverted deviot" part.

To be fair that line's pretty mumbled already :P

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, iScottie said:

Speaking of, is deviot even a word? :P 

• lizziebix featured this topic