Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

The word he uses doesn't make it any less true.

Pretty sure it was a reference to Amanda's (GDC's Amanda) fondness for smacking arses.

• Like 3

Pretty sure if was a reference to Amanda's (GDC's Amanda) fondness for smacking arses.

I wouldn't know that

Green Day fans often mistake faux epic or obnoxious solo instrumentation for high quality instrumentation. For example, Stuck With Me, Stuart & The Ave. and half the songs on Insomniac piss all over Mike's bass work on Dirty Rotten Bastards, yet fans eat that shit up because "ZOMG HE PLAYED FAST". Same goes for Tré. Everyone knows the solo from JOS (and it's good, but not mindblowing), but absolutely no one rates songs like Reject or Haushinka that put more highly rated drummers to shame.

Or maybe it's a good thing that Green Day have the quality to cater to both types of fan. Even if the musically illiterate ones are annoying as fuck.

Considering that the majority of people have no technical knowledge of music other than "that sounds cool," I'd say that's a good thing.

Well the song as a whole has meaning, about this "wild" girl and his intoxication with her, and those lyrics help to describe that. "She gave up on Jesus for living on Venus", she went from a more conventional lifestyle to a less conventional one, and "I'm drinking the Kool-Aid, I jumped on the grenade", he's totally into her/enchanted by her and jumped into this crazy lifestyle with her. The phrases themselves are kind of silly and fun but they do make sense.

And still suck ass. Even with your lovely interpretation, the lyrics are still gonna suck.

• Like 1

It´s so funny to me that after such a long time the Trilogy still is a subject to discuss. Seems, everything has been said and discussed several times in different forums since its publishing and arguments repeat themselves in new words and expressions again and again like a merry-go-round. So the Trilogy definitely is something to remember and provides for entertainment. But I can only say this because I don´t know anything about good or bad music. So it´s just a fool´s statement. And my favourite album at the moment is 21st CB. I must be a German Idiot.

• Like 2

I often wonder if Green Day lyrics are actually so thought-out or just a pile of random shit that accidentaly makes a bit of sense. It's really a huge issue for me now.

• Like 1

And still suck ass. Even with your lovely interpretation, the lyrics are still gonna suck.

Yeah whether lyrics are good or you like them is personal opinion/taste, not disputing it. Just saying what I think they mean and that I like them.

• Like 2

I thought about reading all the pages that I've missed out on thoroughly but then I realized there would be too much shit to disagree with. :lol:

Does anybody else wish "Coming Clean" was longer?

I do! :D

If you take the singles out and maybe one or two songs Dookie sucks so much. Insomniac and Kerplunk are so much better. So is American Idiot and maybe even the Foxboro album.

If you think the trilogy is a good effort then you have really low standards for green day's music. And that's not an opinion its a fact.

Billie's songwriting was terrible in trilogy and in 21stCB he had some really good lines but on most songs it didn't made any sense.

You can lead the horse to the water but you can't make it drink.
aka, if you're not willing to analyze and understand the lyrics, it's just easier to write it off as bullshit.
aka, ignorance and apathy - I don't know and I don't care.

I'm pretty sure everything that Billie Joe writes does hold a hidden meaning. And the play of words is not accidental. I can guarantee that as a fellow songwriter.

Why do so many people like "Wild One" and say it's one the best in the trilogy?
Come on, just look at this:
"She gave up on Jesus for living on Venus"
"I'm drinking the Kool-Aid, I jumped on the grenade"

Lyrics are a HUGE problem with Dos. Not just Dos where it's the most prevalent, but the entire damn trilogy. Maybe a LITTLE less on Tré, but even Tré has lyric problems.

No, there is actually a HUGE problem with many people's lack of interpretation and will to read between the lines to understand the lyrics. I know for sure that somewhere in this forum there was a thread dedicated to analyzing the lyrics, and I specifically remember people talking about the Kool-Aid fraud, and how many people who joined some kind of sect got poisoned.
Can't link you know, but if you're actually curious enough to try and understand the actual meaning.
Edit: I think this is the post.http://www.greendaycommunity.org/topic/94124-lyrics-that-still-make-no-sense-to-you/page-2#entry5356910

I often wonder if Green Day lyrics are actually so thought-out or just a pile of random shit that accidentaly makes a bit of sense. It's really a huge issue for me now.

Pretty sure it's incredibly well thought out. :P

Yeah whether lyrics are good or you like them is personal opinion/taste, not disputing it. Just saying what I think they mean and that I like them.

Which really makes me think you hit your head at some point listening to Dos

You can lead the horse to the water but you can't make it drink.

aka, if you're not willing to analyze and understand the lyrics, it's just easier to write it off as bullshit.

aka, ignorance and apathy - I don't know and I don't care.

I don't give two shits about hidden meanings if something sounds stupid like almost all his writing in trilogy and especially Dos it's bullshit.

Also even Billie said that a song like Nuclear Family is just words he wrote it doesn't really mean anything. So you're wrong.

• Like 2

Green Day fans often mistake faux epic or obnoxious solo instrumentation for high quality instrumentation. For example, Stuck With Me, Stuart & The Ave. and half the songs on Insomniac piss all over Mike's bass work on Dirty Rotten Bastards, yet fans eat that shit up because "ZOMG HE PLAYED FAST". Same goes for Tré. Everyone knows the solo from JOS (and it's good, but not mindblowing), but absolutely no one rates songs like Reject or Haushinka that put more highly rated drummers to shame.

Or maybe it's a good thing that Green Day have the quality to cater to both types of fan. Even if the musically illiterate ones are annoying as fuck.

Yeah this could apply to a lot of the guitar solos :P. But I think Green Day's original appeal was that they were your average dudes cranking out music that anyone could pick up and play along with. At least that's why Dookie was so influential.

• Like 1

I don't give two shits about hidden meanings if something sounds stupid like almost all his writing in trilogy and especially Dos it's bullshit.

Also even Billie said that a song like Nuclear Family is just words he wrote it doesn't really mean anything. So you're wrong.

Link me to that please?

Your prejudice that something sounding stupid to you is definitely nonsense is funny and sad at the same time. :lol:

• Like 1

AI and Insomniac are pure gold. And I think 21CB has some of the best lyrics I've ever heard (See signature). Then there are good lyrics scattered through the rest of their catalog, some Billie could have accidentally backed in to but there is just too much evidence of him being a great lyricist

I came in here ready to rabidly disagree with you, but then this is the post that i read...which I agree with. I'm sure I will have other opportunities to ridicule your opinions :P

I agree, there are some songs which are pure bullshit by lyrics, but Billie heavily uses metaphors in a whole bunch of their songs. So, most of lyrics we all call bullshit, are actually metaphoric-overloaded songs.

Link me to that please?

Your prejudice that something sounding stupid to you is definitely nonsense is funny and sad at the same time. :lol:

Nah i can't find it! I know someone will find it for you I'm sure he said it!

So you consider Makeout Party, Nightlife, Fuck Time, Stop When The Red Lights Flash and Lady Cobra as good written songs? Just answer me that. And don't give me no "they're fun songs" bullshit cause they have written fan songs in the past and they were great. I think Billie as a writer is too good for his fans to not bash him about songs like these.

I agree, there are some songs which are pure bullshit by lyrics, but Billie heavily uses metaphors in a whole bunch of their songs. So, most of lyrics we all call bullshit, are actually metaphoric-overloaded songs.

example: that 15 page debate a while back on the malachite line in 2000 LYA

• Like 1

AI and Insomniac are pure gold. And I think 21CB has some of the best lyrics I've ever heard (See signature). Then there are good lyrics scattered through the rest of their catalog, some Billie could have accidentally backed in to but there is just too much evidence of him being a great lyricist

I don't think Billie backed into anything. I think he wrote exactly what he wanted. Whether the lyrics were successful is another story. I agree that there is too much evidence that he is a great lyricist.

• Like 1

Nah i can't find it! I know someone will find it for you I'm sure he said it!

So you consider Makeout Party, Nightlife, Fuck Time, Stop When The Red Lights Flash and Lady Cobra as good written songs? Just answer me that. And don't give me no "they're fun songs" bullshit cause they have written fan songs in the past and they were great. I think Billie as a writer is too good for his fans to not bash him about songs like these.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Makeout Party, but I do like all of the other ones and think that they are good songs. I think the writing style is vastly different than much of what he has done in the past, but that was the intent. So, I find them to be very well written songs for what the intended purpose was. I have not hidden behind the fact that the Trilogy (minus like 2 or 3 songs) is my favorite Green Day work to listen to.

Wow, talk about tl;dr

That's exactly why I didn't do every song.

Oh, and I could do like 5 paragraphs for Uno, but I'll just do this:

Every song has an extremely similar formula to each other. This is fine on the first 2 tracks, they get a pass, but after a while it just gets old and it felt like a chore to listen to. I also felt like it was just a pop album made to appeal to the masses. "Oh Love" from what I remember doesn't seem to follow this formula, but don't quote me on that.

Oh, one last thing about Dos:

I would say "Stray Heart" is one of the best songs on the album, and it really is. But it has a problem Green Day tends to do a lot.

After you watch the first 10 seconds of this you'll know what I mean.

• Like 1

Which really makes me think you hit your head at some point listening to Dos

As long as you're not saying the lyrics of Dos make no sense/have no meaning I have no argument with you :lol:, I like them and you don't and that's just our individual tastes.

• Like 1

• lizziebix featured this topic