Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

:sick: I haven't even listened to all the songs on the trilogy, to be honest. Maybe I should before I judge the whole thing, but I previewed many tracks and couldn't even listen all the way through because I was so disappointed (mainly with the poor lyrics). We all know they are obviously capable of so much more.

Nuclear Family

Stay the Night

Kill the DJ

Let Yourself Go

Lazy Bones

Lady Cobra

Nightlife

Brutal Love

Missing You

Are basically the only ones worth dealing with :P

" Hey! I like your BMW / I like your BM-excellent tits / With a tattoo of a pig sniffing glue " and " Anyhow, anywhere / Kiss me there, oh kiss me there Scream and shout, truth or dare / Kiss me there, oh kiss me there ".

That's the words to Troublemaker? I can only understand the BMW part and not the rest. Eeek that's horrible! A lot of times I can't understand the lyrics so I look them up on a website.

^ no way :wacko: 80% of that list holds the most boring songs from their whole catalogue

And I consider them the best of the Trilogy. I think that says a lot about the Trilogy :lol:
  • Like 1

I don't think I've ever liked ANY green day song the first 5 times listening to it :lol: but they all grow on me eventually

It took me three years to like Basket Case, if that's any consolation.

• Like 2

Uno is a good album but it has some bad songs. Replace Loss Of Control, Troublemaker and Angel Blue with some songs like Missing You, 8th Avenue Serenade and X-Kid and you have a great album.

After all Uno and Tre are very similar in style (except ballads).

Replace Loss of Control and I'll cut off your hand :lol:
  • Like 3

Dos was the best of the trilogy and Nightlife was awesome.

Nightlife had to be the best of the trilogy.

So there's still hope that someday you'll come to your senses and start to like Longview

It's been over 10 years, no there isn't.

:mellow:

Besides lazy bones :D

So there's still hope that someday you'll come to your senses and start to like Longview

Longview is just so amazing, I have probably listened to it 1500 times by now.

That's the words to Troublemaker? I can only understand the BMW part and not the rest. Eeek that's horrible! A lot of times I can't understand the lyrics so I look them up on a website.

The "BM-excellent tits" is supposed to be a wordplay... You know a man sees a woman and looks at her fancy car and says "I like your BMW" and then looks at her tits and says "I like your BM-excellent tits" instead of "BMW".

OK that's horrible. Ι don't understand why I even explain the meaning of that line. :lol:

Replace Loss of Control and I'll cut off your hand :lol:

Ok I will not replace it, but Troublemaker must go away.

• Like 1

So tell me, what was it like living without ears for three years :P
  • Like 3

Basket Case has to be one of the best song's ever wrote, but I love all of green day's music and that has to be the most popular song besides longview.

Basket Case has to be one of the best song's ever wrote, but I love all of green day's music and that has to be the most popular song besides longview.

Basket Case is their most popular song besides Longview? *cough cough* don't mind me I'm just choking on a big piece of *cough cough* Boulevard of Broken Dreams.

Basket Case is their most popular song besides Longview? *cough cough* don't mind me I'm just choking on a big piece of *cough cough* Boulevard of Broken Dreams.

Basket Case is easily top three

And is played more on radio than Longview as far as Dookie material goes

Ok?

Please tell me I'm not the only one who doesn't buy this "the trilogy has a planned theme/story" bull shit. The trilogy certainly is not a concept album by any means, and I think a half-assed comment from Billie (go figure) has been misconstrued to mean a lot more than he intended.

If anything,I'd argue that grouping the songs together by theme was an afterthought after they decided they had "too many" songs, as the documentary suggests. But I really don't think the songwriting indicates any sort of real story or plot line.

The only evidence I can even think of is the mentioning of the "red lights" on each album, and that's just poorly done anyway (not to mention, the phrase doesn't even make much sense).

I think Billie just tried to throw on the concept of pre-party, party, regret after the fact. Honestly, most Green Day songs sort of fit into that mold. Getting amped up, messing shit up, and then contemplating it. Pretty common Green Day themes.

Also, I mentioned the "red lights" bullshit in my blog post "Trilogy Dissection Part DOS: Lady Cobro Ono" and how it makes no sense at all.

How does the mention of red lights make no sense? They represent stopping and going and sex/danger, a lot of the songs are about deciding whether to "stop or go", whether to give into the temptation of sex/drugs/partying and other potentially dangerous things. Can't really see what there is to criticize there, just as there's nothing to criticize about the references to fire in 21st CB for example. Just part of the theme of the album.

Pretty sure Billie hasn't described Uno Dos and Tre as concept albums either, just said there's a loose theme. Which there is.

• Like 3

Guys, I think you'll find I've explained the red lights thing:

You're supposed to 'stop when the red lights (traffic lights) flash' (not that traffic lights flash) coz it's the law, but by saying DON'T stop when the red lights flash, he's telling you to go all crazy and be reckless, in line with the theme of dos.

And yes, I did just pull that out of my arse!

Billie clearly wants us to run red lights. Or use prostitutes.

Pretty sure Billie hasn't described Uno Dos and Tre as concept albums either, just said there's a loose theme. Which there is.

How is there even a loose theme? How are any of the songs on Uno connected to the idea of preparing for a party save Nuclear Family and Oh Love?

• Like 1

How is there even a loose theme? How are any of the songs on Uno connected to the idea of preparing for a party save Nuclear Family and Oh Love?

BECAUSE BILLIE SAID SO STOOPID

Or something.

Didn't he say that Uno was supposed to be a throwback to their earlier style, Dos was supposed to be the party theme and I forgot what Tre was supposed to be, maybe a new style, something like that.

Even if that was the case, the songs don't fit the theme. Kill the DJ should be on Dos, Oh Love should probably be on Tre, Stray Heart should be on Uno, etc. I know they said there were loose themes, but it does seem like a second hand, feeble attempt to fit a theme concept.

I still contend that there are alot of good songs on the Trilogy, but there are also alot of shitty ones as well. They would have been better off if someone grew some balls and told Billie half the songs suck.

• lizziebix featured this topic