Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

I honestly wish that Misery was never recorded. I support the fact that they wanted another unique song, one that they have never done anything else like it but it just didn't work that time. In my opinion, if that song wasn't included in the album, Warning would be perfection.

But it's one of the best songs they've ever done :cry:

Can you ban that person please that post is permaban worthy

• Like 1

I honestly wish that Misery was never recorded. I support the fact that they wanted another unique song, one that they have never done anything else like it but it just didn't work that time. In my opinion, if that song wasn't included in the album, Warning would be perfection.

its funny because you're wrong
  • Like 1

But it's one of the best songs they've ever done :cry:

Nah 99 Revolutions is the best Green Day song ever

• Like 3

Well that is an unpopular opinion .....[

quote name="DookieLukie" post="5745466" timestamp="1413852925"]Nah 99 Revolutions is the best Green Day song ever

Panic Song and Homecoming were collaborations. I will throw in one of my favorites, Emenius Sleepus. So, there ate two Mike gems. Billie's had 200+. Can't compare.

I didn't say he single handedly wrote Homecoming I said its because of him the song and album were born

I didn't say he single handedly wrote Homecoming I said its because of him the song and album were born

I thought JoS was the first song written for the album

Pretty certain they've said Homecoming was first several times (as far as working on it in the studio anyway, I know Billie's also said he started writing Wake Me Up When September Ends at an earlier point). When speaking on the subject of how the album got started they always tell that story of Mike being alone in the studio and coming up with something like "Everyone left the studio, everyone left the studio but me" that turned into Nobody Likes You and then Billie and Tre turning up and writing their own little songs and joining them together. So I think even if Billie did start writing some lyrics etc for JOS before that the idea to have a long multi-part song and actually going ahead and starting to make a song for the album together started with Homecoming.

• Like 2

Pretty certain they've said Homecoming was first several times (as far as working on it in the studio anyway, I know Billie's also said he started writing Wake Me Up When September Ends at an earlier point). When speaking on the subject of how the album got started they always tell that story of Mike being alone in the studio and coming up with something like "Everyone left the studio, everyone left the studio but me" that turned into Nobody Likes You and then Billie and Tre turning up and writing their own little songs and joining them together. So I think even if Billie did start writing some lyrics etc for JOS before that the idea to have a long multi-part song and actually going ahead and making a song for the album together started with Homecoming.

Ah ok it's been a few years since I've paid attention to the AI recording process

• Like 1

I thought JoS was the first song written for the album

No, the first song they wrote, the one where they each started with a 30 second song was Homecoming. Billie came up with the line I'm the son of rage and love when he went on walk and that started JoS.

I will give you that he started the process with Homecoming, but Billie did 99% of AI. They all had a hand in it, absolutely. But Billie was the creative force behind it, no matter who started it or where the inspiration came from.

I shall restore balance to the Force by defending Dos. Sure, the lyrics of much of the songs in there don't make any hell of a sense, but I've always imagined it as a mainly-instrumental album. :cool:

• Like 4

Homecoming is the best song on American Idiot

Discuss

I love it to death, but it doesn't flow nearly as well as JoS--the seams between songs are much clearer--and Rock and Roll Girlfriend makes no goddam sense in the way it's just shoehorned in.

• Like 3

I love it to death, but it doesn't flow nearly as well as JoS--the seams between songs are much clearer--and Rock and Roll Girlfriend makes no goddam sense in the way it's just shoehorned in.

WAAAAKE ME UUUP WHEN SEPTEMBER EEEENDS

I still can't figure out what role WMUWSE plays in the AI plot. I mean, it's a favorite of mine, it's a very good song and all, but I'm trying to figure out what exactly is it supposed to be in-universe.

See, I think you can take that one in the same vein as the title track and Holiday--they don't directly pertain to the story, they just set the scene. The problem with Girlfriend is that it isn't doing any scene - setting and it appears smack dab in the middle of an otherwise thematically unified song.

• Like 1

I still can't figure out what role WMUWSE plays in the AI plot. I mean, it's a favorite of mine, it's a very good song and all, but I'm trying to figure out what exactly is it supposed to be in-universe.

It doesn't fit in and was never meant to. Unless you want to interpret it as a 9/11 tribute.
  • Like 1

Homecoming is the best song on American Idiot

Discuss

Yes, yes it is.

The discussion is now over.

Also, the song transitions work just as well in Homecoming as they do in JOS, for me. If not, a little better.

• Like 2

Rock N Roll Girlfriend is the best part of AI. Discuss.

My reason is saxophone. I win.

Would that make "Pieces of Truth" the best song on Stop Drop & Roll?

It already is, but.

I think JoS and Homecoming are both brilliant, but they have two different purposes. JoS is setting the story up and Homecoming is concluding it. When we are at JoS, we have not been introduced to all the characters yet, so there are not as many moving parts. So, it should flow better than Homecoming. In Homecoming, we are trying to finish a series of characters, so it should be more disjointed. Both songs did their jobs beautifully.

It doesn't fit in and was never meant to. Unless you want to interpret it as a 9/11 tribute.

Billie's said he put that song at that point on the album so it's like a reflective moment for JOS, before the events of Homecoming. And I think the reason he sings "7 years has gone so fast" before "20 years has gone so fast" is so it's like he reflects on his father's death from when he was JOS's age (around 17) before reflecting on it from the age he was at the time (early 30s). JOS is basically him so I think it does tie into the story in those ways, even if loosely.

• Like 3

• lizziebix featured this topic