Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

Macy's Day Parade is probably the song that I least enjoy listening to on Warning, but I still like it. It's just an album with no real lows :P

maybe it's tied with Jackass? Macy's Day Parade is kind of monotonous and slow and it makes me feel kind of, mellow in a sad way. Jackass is a nice enough song but it just never clicked with me.

My least favorite on the album used to be Hold On, but it's become one of my faves, while Fashion Victim has gradually descended.

Maybe people don't like Macy's Day Parade as much as I thought :lol:. I've seen a lot of people say they wish they played it at the end of shows instead of Good Riddance as they did in the past...I can't think of anything that'd be more disappointing!

My least favorite on the album used to be Hold On, but it's become one of my faves, while Fashion Victim has gradually descended.

The same thing's happened with me and Fashion Victim, I find some of the lyrics quite cringy. And one of my least favourites used to be Deadbeat Holiday but for some reason it's really clicked with me now and I find it brilliant.
  • Like 1

The same thing's happened with me and Fashion Victim, I find some of the lyrics quite cringy. And one of my least favourites used to be Deadbeat Holiday but for some reason it's really clicked with me now and I find it brilliant.

DBH is probably objectively the best on the album after maybe Castaway.

• Like 2

I know I slagged off "Castaway" a few months back, but it has grown on me a lot in the past month, along with the rest of Warning in general. The only song I ever skip on the album is "Hold On".

Best song on Warning is Blood Sex and Booze. Possibly as good as all the other songs put together.

I think you said this before, but it sounded so tight and awesome when they performed it as FBHT.
  • Like 1

I'll see what I can do.

This is from a while ago, but I only just now watched the video, and...I prefer the album version. :mellow:

Macy's Day Parade is probably the song that I least enjoy listening to on Warning, but I still like it. It's just an album with no real lows :P

maybe it's tied with Jackass? Macy's Day Parade is kind of monotonous and slow and it makes me feel kind of, mellow in a sad way. Jackass is a nice enough song but it just never clicked with me.

Really? Jackass has always been a stand-out track to me, that's why they put it ad the B-side to Minority. The vocal melodies aren't very exciting by themselves, but when you focus on the music part, damn. That's where the energy comes from!
  • Like 1

You guys are making me want to listen to Warning. I don't even know the last time I listened to any of those songs. :ermm:

Well since no one else (besides Tom) is defending the beautiful gem that is Macy's Day Parade I suppose I will.

It hands down one of the best songs in their catalog. It doesn't quite match Good Riddance because Good Riddance has a better riff and lyrics that are timeless. But what it lacks in guitar creativity it more than makes up for in it's absolutely beautiful building resonance. The song begins slowly and in a low key then builds gradually with each verse. Accompanied by these ever so faint strings that are just barely noticeable. But they build with Billie's voice. As does the tempo. It all builds together and creates this wonderfully simple and slightly nostalgic feeling.

Then I realized what it took

To tell the difference between

Thieves and crooks

A lesson learned to me and you

This^ is probably my favorite vocal moment from Billie ever. The run on "you" is spectacular.

This entirely. And just the lyrics overall are amongst the best Billie has ever written. Maybe not the cleverest or most complex, but just simple, to the point and utterly fantastic.

• Like 2

My least favorite song on Warning is easily the title track. That song is so boring and way too long and repetitive. The worst album opener they have and one of my least favorite singles.

• Like 1

My least favorite song on Warning is easily the title track. That song is so boring and way too long and repetitive. The worst album opener they have and one of my least favorite singles.

I think Nice Guys Finish Last beats it for worst opener.

• Like 2

I think Nice Guys Finish Last beats it for worst opener.

You take that back RIGHT NOW. NGFL IS FAB.

• Like 2

You take that back RIGHT NOW. NGFL IS FAB.

On the contrary, it's stamped with your butt of disapproval.

• Like 2

Warning is like Tre for me: It has standout songs, but I can't stand listening to the album. I fell like the contrast between the highs and the lows is too severe.

• Like 1

I'd argue that, at times, Warning is a more politically-charged album than American Idiot. I will never understand the "political sellouts" argument in reference to AI. Warning had plenty of songs with a theme of societal criticism (Warning, Macy's Day Parade, Minority), which in my opinion is what "political" music is all about. It makes for a pretty fluid transition into AI. Their progression as a band isn't exactly surprising.

With trilogy they actually returned to their roots.

• The lyrics are immature. They are often vague and lack purpose. They were far better at being funny/non-serious in their early careers.
  • The bass lines are lacking. This is something that wouldn't be as big of a deal on something as big as AI, but because of the stripped down production, the fact that we're missing bass is huge downside.
  • Lack of Billie/Mike harmonies. This is something GD is built on. And they're missing it.
  • Vocal filter too high, doesn't match the production. Billie is almost unrecognizable at times.
  • Guitars are too clean for the album sound
  • Drums weak as well

Don't most of these obviously valid points contradict that statement? The defining "Green Day" characteristics (harmonies, bass lines, clever lyrics, distorted guitars) aren't in the trilogy at all, and therefore it is hardly a "return to its roots."

• Like 3

Don't most of these obviously valid points contradict that statement? The defining "Green Day" characteristics (harmonies, bass lines, clever lyrics, distorted guitars) aren't in the trilogy at all, and therefore it is hardly a "return to its roots."

And bingo was his name-o.

I usually include this caveat in my obligatory bullet points on why the Trilogy is sub par, but it fails to do anything for GD's sound. If they truly were returning to their pre-concept album days, then you would expect an increased focus on what earned them success, which includes everything that you said. But it doesn't do that. It doesn't advance GD's sound as ALL of their albums from 39/smooth through 21CB had, and it doesn't include much of what made them a successful band to begin with.

• Like 4

The Judge's Daughter is the best song on 39/Smooth after Going to Pasalacqua.

I usually include this caveat in my obligatory bullet points on why the Trilogy is sub par

I think it says a lot about the Trilogy that we in the Trilogy Haters club have been reduced to mostly quoting old posts and copy-pasting lists of bullet points (yours is magnificent) whenever we talk about it. Nothing left to say, it's just shit and we're tired of attempting to be creative with our responses to it. :P

The Judge's Daughter is the best song on 39/Smooth after Going to Pasalacqua.

I think it says a lot about the Trilogy that we in the Trilogy Haters club have been reduced to mostly quoting old posts and copy-pasting lists of bullet points (yours is magnificent) whenever we talk about it. Nothing left to say, it's just shit and we're tired of attempting to be creative with our responses to it. :P

AI is shit trilogy is actually good.
  • Like 1

• lizziebix featured this topic