Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

No i mean i've heard like more instrumental or instrumental sampling. I've just never heard a rapper that was that good at rapping. Maybe like eminem or a few other people. But I just don't get the appeal of listening to it. Seems a lot more fun to do it rather than to actually listen to it.

I can dig that I don't really agree about the few people part but I'm not gonna push anyone to like what they don't like

I can dig that I don't really agree about the few people part but I'm not gonna push anyone to like what they don't like

Right, I don't feel like I really should either. It just gets to me when people talk up rap a lot and not other music. It's like really? I know everyone can have their opinion, but you know i guess everyone is different and will have a lot of different opinions.. And It seems odd to me that everyone has like the same favorite band on here but yet everyone wants to cram another artist or even a song by both of their favorite artist's down each others throats. I don't understand why people do that. And I guess I was really the one to start argument this time but hey I don't really care, I guess I'll just blame it on boredom. Guess that's what happens when your employer cuts all employee hours, oh well. Maybe the unpopular opinions thread was the wrong place to go. #GDCwasteland #overlydramatic

• Like 1

I finally put my finger on what bothers me about the song The Forgotten. It's otherwise beautiful save for the fact that it makes zero grammatical sense to say "Where in the world's the forgotten?" If he had sung "Where in the world ARE the forgotten?" the song would be instantly improved by 100% because it would be referring to lost souls. Saying "Where IS the forgotten?" implies that "the forgotten" is a singular noun and makes it sound like he's searching for his missing copy of the book "The Forgotten" as opposed to a group of forgotten people. I have no idea what Billie means in this song because that phrase has the worst syntax ever. I also have a sad pathetic feeling that Billie WANTED to communicate what I want him to be saying, but he actually just doesn't know how the English language works.

Stay in school, folks!

• Like 4

A lot of what made AI stick out the image change. That was the most jarring aspect of the album. GD went from has-beens to rock gods and the image change had A LOT to do with it. Yes, there were some differences from Warning to AI. AI is the best album they've ever done hands down but it still wasn't nearly as much of change as 21CB was. The lyrics of AI are what sets it apart. Musically, JOS and Homecoming are the only ones that significantly change anything from Warning. 21cb had Peacemaker, Viva la Gloria?, a ton of piano led balladry and an emphasis on vocals that exemplify a change far greater than the one seen from Warning to AI.

21CB didn't have the huge media/image factor that made AI seem so different from Warning.

I finally put my finger on what bothers me about the song The Forgotten. It's otherwise beautiful save for the fact that it makes zero grammatical sense to say "Where in the world's the forgotten?" If he had sung "Where in the world ARE the forgotten?" the song would be instantly improved by 100% because it would be referring to lost souls. Saying "Where IS the forgotten?" implies that "the forgotten" is a singular noun and makes it sound like he's searching for his missing copy of the book "The Forgotten" as opposed to a group of forgotten people. I have no idea what Billie means in this song because that phrase has the worst syntax ever. I also have a sad pathetic feeling that Billie WANTED to communicate what I want him to be saying, but he actually just doesn't know how the English language works.

Stay in school, folks!

Just a grammar nazi passing through. :P
  • Like 1

Just a grammar nazi passing through. :P

The sad thing is I'm not even. The grammar is just so bad that it actually ruined my comprehension of the song!

Stay in school, folks!

but a lot of time a group of people is (see) referred to as a singular noun. for example, when you talk about your family, you would say "my family IS" as opposed to "my family are". that's why it's so obnoxious to me when people refer to bands as plural nouns by saying things like "green day are awesome." green day is a group of people, but collectively singular. i understand that if you were to say, for instance "where in the world are the forgotten (people)" it would make sense and using the singular 'is' would sound weird, but perhaps he is trying to make the forgotten a singular noun. i've listened to the song probably three times in my life so i don't know its meaning, but maybe the singular kind of works in that way? i don't know if that makes sense.

The sad thing is I'm not even. The grammar is just so bad that it actually ruined my comprehension of the song!

Maybe It's just a liberty of a songwriter.
  • Like 1

I didn't deny that. I even said the arrangements are where they really stepped up, but from a pure songwriting context it's not new. They really captured the zeitgeist of the time and Billie's lyrics were obviously very relevant politically, but he's always been a very intelligent lyricist. Maybe we're just looking at it differently in that I've always seen songwriting and arranging as two very different distinct disciplines.

Yeah, we might be coming at it from a couple of different angles. I just feel like there isn't a lot on AI that would work on any of their previous albums. There's a lot of overdubs guitar-wise, whereas their earlier stuff was a lot more bare-bones.

How the fuck would you know what i listen to, so just be quiet. And the 4 chord thing is just dead wrong. Maybe for pop-punk but not for rock music overall. And you certainly don't have to like rap music at all to be a good musician. That really doesn't make a lot of sense. You can't tell me most rap music isn't really annoying and shallow. Not that I really want to force that opinion on people, I just really don't like most of it. Music is mostly opinion anyway so to say I'm ignorant (not you) is about as ignorant as it gets.

Easiest is the key word or easiest to make really really bad.

Clearly you don't listen to a lot of rap, because you seem to have a lot of misconceptions about it as a genre, which is a shame. The best musicians draw influences from everything. There is no genre that doesn't borrow ideas and techniques from other genres. At any rate, it's a shame if you think the band trying to incorporate more ideas and versatility is a bad thing. Again, ideally, they would've incorporated that stuff and actually done it well, but at least they're trying something new.

• Like 2

A lot of people (my past self included) write off rap as a genre. This is mainly due to the fact that 99% of rap played on mainstream radio is to rap as Nickelback is to rock music. Generic commercial crap.

A lot of people (my past self included) write off rap as a genre. This is mainly due to the fact that 99% of rap played on mainstream radio is to rap as Nickelback is to rock music. Generic commercial crap.

And I completely understand why people would have that impression of rap, but yeah, good analogy. If you judged all rock music based on Nickelback, you'd be forgiven for thinking rock was kinda dumb and uninspired, but as with most genres, you can't find the best stuff without digging a bit.

• Like 1

While we're talking about grammatical things, the line 'there of which I stand alone' has always annoyed me. I know it's artistic license and grammar rules shouldn't apply to art and all that, but as a grammar nerd and pedant for correctness it always has and always will annoy me!

but a lot of time a group of people is (see) referred to as a singular noun. for example, when you talk about your family, you would say "my family IS" as opposed to "my family are". that's why it's so obnoxious to me when people refer to bands as plural nouns by saying things like "green day are awesome." green day is a group of people, but collectively singular. i understand that if you were to say, for instance "where in the world are the forgotten (people)" it would make sense and using the singular 'is' would sound weird, but perhaps he is trying to make the forgotten a singular noun. i've listened to the song probably three times in my life so i don't know its meaning, but maybe the singular kind of works in that way? i don't know if that makes sense.

To condense this, a group is a singular noun. Multiple people are a plural noun. "Last year's graduating class is a great group of people" vs. "The people in last year's graduating class are great".

I didn't mean to cause a huge argument. Honest.

Not an argument. More like a debate.
  • Like 1

EXCUSE YOU. No. Not "anybody" can do rap. Need proof? "Nightlife."

Rap is actually really, really hard to do correctly. It peeves me that so many people seem to think rap is just easy as fuck, when in reality it takes a lot of time and effort to be anywhere even close to good at it. And if you're writing your own lyrics, you need to be really clever in order to stand out and get anywhere.

I'm really done arguing this. It wasn't even supposed to be an argument. People just gang up on you for basically no reason around here now and you can't make any connections. Like i said before #GDCwasteland. And i didn't say anybody can do good rap. I said it's fairly easy to make a bad commercial rap song. And again all i see people do around here anymore is argue vehemently about stupid things like what is a good or bad green day song on a green day forum or over their falling out relationships with other members. Here's good advice, make new friends. I'm sure there are alot of people who could use some. Basically the only way people will respond to you, is if you take the opposite of some argument. Not everyone wants to spend every second of their day on here and do whatever these spam threads are or whatever other crazy stuff that goes on. Like all these picture threads and all of these threads basically asking for people to hate on each other or to drive people to feel bad about themselves.
  • Like 1

for then, justin bieber should replace Billie Joe :D:P

I would totally buy that album.

I'm really done arguing this. It wasn't even supposed to be an argument. People just gang up on you for basically no reason around here now and you can't make any connections. Like i said before #GDCwasteland. And i didn't say anybody can do good rap. I said it's fairly easy to make a bad commercial rap song. And again all i see people do around here anymore is argue vehemently about stupid things like what is a good or bad green day song on a green day forum or over their falling out relationships with other members. Here's good advice, make new friends. I'm sure there are alot of people who could use some. Basically the only way people will respond to you, is if you take the opposite of some argument. Not everyone wants to spend every second of their day on a forum.

Yeah! You tell her! :lol:

Everyone with a different opinion to mine has no life.

I mean, that's how you're coming off, dude. Who here is being vehement? What the hell is wrong with debating about stuff?

• Like 1

Wow look at you, aren't you so funny quoting something I never said or even remotely implied, props to you dude.

And I was trying to have a disscussion. I didn't gang up on anyone and basically passive aggressively say oh one of those people again. Like you know me already. All I said was you were being hypocritical in your statements about state of shock. Which wasn't really wrong. Yet everyone wants to take my statements about rap music out of context. I wasn't trying to force my opinion on anyone. Yet if I have a different opinion than you then automatically I'm arrogant, ignorant and a hater of almost all the music you like. Actually read what I type next time. But yeah i will admit i told you to shut up, and I'm sorry but my original intention wasn't to force my opinion on someone or piss someone off.

• Like 1

Wow look at you, aren't you so funny quoting something I never said. Props to you dude.

Way to answer his question.

• Like 1

EXCUSE YOU. No. Not "anybody" can do rap. Need proof? "Nightlife."

Rap is actually really, really hard to do correctly. It peeves me that so many people seem to think rap is just easy as fuck, when in reality it takes a lot of time and effort to be anywhere even close to good at it. And if you're writing your own lyrics, you need to be really clever in order to stand out and get anywhere.

Maybe not everybody can "do rap" because it's very hard to make such a sucky genre sound good.

Dude, I don't understand why you have such a chip on your shoulder. How does more than one person disagreeing with you = ganging up on you? Nobody's being mean to you whatsoever, so why are you reacting like this?

Maybe not everybody can "do rap" because it's very hard to make such a sucky genre sound good.

Don't you start.

And again all i see people do around here anymore is argue vehemently about stupid things like what is a good or bad green day song on a green day forum or over their falling out relationships with other members. Here's good advice, make new friends. I'm sure there are alot of people who could use some. Basically the only way people will respond to you, is if you take the opposite of some argument. Not everyone wants to spend every second of their day on here and do whatever these spam threads are or whatever other crazy stuff that goes on. Like all these picture threads and all of these threads basically asking for people to hate on each other or to drive people to feel bad about themselves.

So you personally attack people with this post, in ways that are absolutely irrelevant to anything, and then expect people to not be pissed off? None of what people were debating was off topic, then you respond with that and wonder why it gets people's backs up? Absolutely no need for it. You're also backtracking with your rap comments.

• Like 1

• lizziebix featured this topic