Drums

Sappy

On 10/11/2016 at 2:15 PM, SamJam98 said:

I was wondering if there was a drumming thread here somewhere..

I'm a bit late to the party, I know, but are there any drummers still around here? 

Been playing 11 years.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Eva said:

Been playing 11 years.

That's impressive, do you play professionally at all? 

1 hour ago, SamJam98 said:

That's impressive, do you play professionally at all? 

I've played gigs with friends for money and various things. I was in band in high school and played percussion but it wasn't limited to drum set. I'm looking at getting a percussion performance minor right now.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't keep fast punk beats for my life. I use the right movement for the right arm (2 hits in one lift), but I do it with too much stress, so that's why I end up being exhausted really fast.
I want to hit the hi-hats strongly without stressing myself, otherwise it sound bad. How do the punk-rockers of you manage to do that?

As for kicks, it can survive for long time, even though I'm 100% sure I need to change my habits. I tend keep the leg flaoting in the air instead of resting it on the floor, and that's because it creates an uncomfortable angle for my foot and that way I can't press the pedal with force.

The heel-toe technique wouldn't help that much, even if I knew how to do it, because I prefer doing a D-Beat:
DBeat.jpg
Rather than what I call "thrash beat", as seen in example 1 (it's still punk beat honestly):
LESSONS_03.jpg
Oh, and one pedal for kicks. Double is for lamies. I rather fail at this than fooling myself while using double pedal/kick.

Super awesome that there is some action in the drums/drumming thread again!

On 24.10.2016 at 6:55 AM, T@l said:

I can't keep fast punk beats for my life. I use the right movement for the right arm (2 hits in one lift), but I do it with too much stress, so that's why I end up being exhausted really fast.
I want to hit the hi-hats strongly without stressing myself, otherwise it sound bad. How do the punk-rockers of you manage to do that?

As for kicks, it can survive for long time, even though I'm 100% sure I need to change my habits. I tend keep the leg flaoting in the air instead of resting it on the floor, and that's because it creates an uncomfortable angle for my foot and that way I can't press the pedal with force.

The heel-toe technique wouldn't help that much, even if I knew how to do it, because I prefer doing a D-Beat:
DBeat.jpg
Rather than what I call "thrash beat", as seen in example 1 (it's still punk beat honestly):
LESSONS_03.jpg
Oh, and one pedal for kicks. Double is for lamies. I rather fail at this than fooling myself while using double pedal/kick.

I'm not a professional in any way, but I've been doing punk/rock/whatevercore drums for a while now.

Regarding the hihats/the hands: You don't actually need a lot of force/energy, it's all done pretty relaxed usually. Rather I would use heavy sticks (I use 5Bs normally, sometimes 2B live, open air especially) that will do most of the work for you. Of couse a little bit of force is necessary, but you should not tense up and just stay relaxed. Unfortunately, there is no shortcut, you have to practice. Start slowly and with a metronome!

For the kick drum: I'm  not sure what the question is to be honest, but I absolutely agree that punk is played with one kick pedal, no double kick for the beat from example 1.

10 minutes ago, Drankolz said:

Super awesome that there is some action in the drums/drumming thread again!

I'm not a professional in any way, but I've been doing punk/rock/whatevercore drums for a while now.

Regarding the hihats/the hands: You don't actually need a lot of force/energy, it's all done pretty relaxed usually. Rather I would use heavy sticks (I use 5Bs normally, sometimes 2B live, open air especially) that will do most of the work for you. Of couse a little bit of force is necessary, but you should not tense up and just stay relaxed. Unfortunately, there is no shortcut, you have to practice. Start slowly and with a metronome!

For the kick drum: I'm  not sure what the question is to be honest, but I absolutely agree that punk is played with one kick pedal, no double kick for the beat from example 1.

Thanks, your answer is great. There's no actual question about the kick, I'm just telling what I do.

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided to pursue a percussion performance minor! The real trick now is getting my classical skills back up to par. I'm taking lessons with a graduate student to buff up my skills on marimba and concert snare again, since I need a two-mallet and a four-mallet marimba solo, as well as a snare etude. The fourth solo I get to pick from a list of instruments so I'll probably pick drum set for that 'cause I'm not quite as comfortable with African hand drums and timpani as I feel like I should be when it comes to preparing solo pieces.

The auditions are in February so...hopefully I'll make it. If not, I'm still going to do marching band and hopefully get back to play some bass drum.

It's been ages since I dir classical percussion stuff, and it only was orchestra stuff back in high school. I never could get the hang of using 4 mallets on the marimba, so I'd already be sold as a judge by that point. The snare is always fun though, have you already decided on a solo?

On 11/9/2016 at 8:06 AM, Drankolz said:

It's been ages since I dir classical percussion stuff, and it only was orchestra stuff back in high school. I never could get the hang of using 4 mallets on the marimba, so I'd already be sold as a judge by that point. The snare is always fun though, have you already decided on a solo?

Not yet. I'm playing Yellow After the Rain for my four mallet solo and haven't had time to look at two mallet solos or snare etudes yet.

Archived