Video: Billie Joe and Miranda Lambert performing "When Will I Be Loved"

Lone

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonderful performance, if you ask me! :happy: And I'm also really happy to simply see him perform at an event like this again. I don't know.

And the performance reminds me of... what was it again... yes, hey, gotta listen to Foreverly once again... :dance:

He seemed a bit nervous to be honest, but it was still brilliant.

I think he was a bit thrown off by the fact that he was really watching her...trying to make sure that their harmonies were really tight and together. Combine that with the fact that she treated it like a solo number and pretended that he wasn't even there and he was probably just a bit cautious. He obviously cares deeply about the music and especially about what the Everly Brothers accomplished during their careers and what they did for music. I'm assuming that he really just wanted it to be as tight and polished as possible.

I think he was a bit thrown off by the fact that he was really watching her...trying to make sure that their harmonies were really tight and together. Combine that with the fact that she treated it like a solo number and pretended that he wasn't even there and he was probably just a bit cautious. He obviously cares deeply about the music and especially about what the Everly Brothers accomplished during their careers and what they did for music. I'm assuming that he really just wanted it to be as tight and polished as possible.

I didn't consider the fact that she almost treated it like a solo, but you're kind of right. And that microphone stand was even to glitzy for me, and that's saying something. :lol:

agreed. she was too flashy. At first it almost seemed like he was just the back-up vocals with a guitar, but he got stronger after that first little verse. i lovvvvvvved it

Plus, the fact that the Everly family was watching probably didn't help his nerves. I bet Billie wished he could have had a little bit to drink haha

I don't know much about the subject, but what I take from your arguments is that you two look for a different sound in the duet: Zack wants to perfectly hear and distinguish each voice, each one in a different frequency that fills the entire frequency, is not that they clash, is just that they're different, and phslaxmidi10 (sorry, I don't know your name) wants to hear both voices nearly as one, mixing and complementing each other in the same register.

So... I think you're both are right and your ways of viewing how it should sound are both perfectly valid.

Wonderful performance, if you ask me! :happy: And I'm also really happy to simply see him perform at an event like this again. I don't know.

A little bit off topic but i have to ask, where is your ava from?!! He look so cute :wub:

Edit: Nevermind, i found it! lol

agreed. she was too flashy. At first it almost seemed like he was just the back-up vocals with a guitar, but he got stronger after that first little verse. i lovvvvvvved it

The only thing Flashy was her Microphone and microphone stand :P

I like seeing him nervous. It makes him, idk, like humble, he doesn't try to show off. It's like when he said in an itw in 2012 that he almost wanted to throw up when he sang brand new songs from the trilogy even in front of a handful of people....

if you try and ignore miranda's voice (which is almost next to impossible, christ) its a good cover

Any theories on why Norah didn't sing with him?

I read she is pregnant...saw a pic of her from last december and she already had a huge belly (is it the right word?) So I think that s why

Any theories on why Norah didn't sing with him?

Just a theory no evidence for it at all,

If Billie and Norah performed together it might look like they are doing promotion for there own album too. Doing it with Miranda istead makes it look and feel more like a tribute for Phil.

What the fuck are you talking about? Her having a bright tone and him having a deeper tone wouldn't clash. That doesn't even make sense. One of the best pieces of advice when it comes to equalization is to restrict certain instruments playing in the same range one to the lower and one to the higher part of that range, frequency wise. Turns out ace every single time. Naturally that applies when instruments (or voices) already have differences in their timbre. Their voices are clashing because they aren't singing the same pitch.

Not arguing about subjective matters, though. His voice is nowhere near as strong as it was before, and that's my opinion, and his strumming technique was lacking on this performance and that's my opinion. If you go back a few pages in the Q&A thread or use the search feature C-dawg's already shown examples of his voice declining, though I don't think you need to look at his examples to compare this performance to, say, the one with Elvis Costello or any others.

I disagree with you. His voice is certainly not what it was in 2010, but I think this performance was well above what we saw for parts of the 99 Revs tour.

Though I do love the Elvis Costello duet vocal more than life itself I think. His voice is so different from what he sounds like in Green Day its almost jarring. I thought we got some more of that with Foreverly and this tribute though

And she was sharp through the whole thing

Same technique he used to keep in sync with Norah. Man, those sessions must have been intense.

I didn't consider the fact that she almost treated it like a solo, but you're kind of right. And that microphone stand was even to glitzy for me, and that's saying something. :lol:

Now that you both mention it, that mic stand = Diva As Fuck if you ask me.....blinging it up like they did for her was totally unnecessary.

I got the same impression. She totally treated him like a backing musician IMO.

If you are going to sing in a different style.. then sing in a different style... LOSE the Country Twang.

In all seriousness... she sounded like a train whistle and he did not.

Nope, nope, nope, all you haters of this are just off the mark. Sorry. Billie sounded great, I actually thought his voice sounded fairly strong, especially compared to some of his past performances.

^^ this so much!

Why can't we all just appreciate that Billie performed at the most important musical event of the year instead of nit-picking everything he does? Seriously.

Miranda's and Billie's tribute performance was beautiful and touching. (I missed Norah, though... her + Billie's voice = caramel in my ears)

If you are going to sing in a different style.. then sing in a different style... LOSE the Country Twang.

In all seriousness... she sounded like a train whistle and he did not.

My mom warned me when I told her they were doing a duet (she's really into country). I think she said something along the lines of "good luck, dad and I hate her because she sounds like a whiny bitch." :lol:

^^ this so much!

Why can't we all just appreciate that Billie performed at the most important musical event of the year instead of nit-picking everything he does? Seriously.

Miranda's and Billie's tribute performance was beautiful and touching. (I missed Norah, though... her + Billie's voice = caramel in my ears)

That is what I enjoy the most. Even if the academy didn't nominate the band much in these last two years, they obviously still realize that Billie is worth having around. While I'm sure it wasn't coincidental they went with him because of Foreverly, their past association with the band and Billie kind of show that they trusted him to deliver.

My mom warned me when I told her they were doing a duet (she's really into country). I think she said something along the lines of "good luck, dad and I hate her because she sounds like a whiny bitch." :lol:

I think she can write some great lyrics that empower women, but Jesus, I'm so sick of hearing about their marriage problems, which, yknow, are obviously meant to be hashed out on the cover of People rather than couples therapy or something :rolleyes:. Her and Blake are both shameless when it comes to press.

Archived