Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

Oh baby baby it's FWOOO Time.  I forget this clean version Dos existed and it only came up as I searched for Lazy Bones and there was three versions.  The explicit title is there, the explicit lyrics are there but the word is FWOO.   Saving the children and whatnot.   

( you can search Kill the DJ to find the clean Uno as well if you wanna hear "shoot that mmmpha down.  

• Haha 2

Today, I’m feeling like Tre’s best performance in a song ever is on Peacemaker.  This song requires stamina for the quick hi-hat hits, has super precise and pronounced drum fills, and has a nice swing-like feel on the ride cymbal during the “vendetta” sections.  Just great drumming altogether in this song.  Definitely one of my most played from 21st.  

• Like 3

Green Day's YouTube subscribers have reached 6.66M 😈

• Haha 4

Did you guys know the "iron fist" that ended up on the Holiday car was originally in the Walking Contradiction video at 2:17?   It looked more like the Infinity Gauntlet but I wonder if that inspired the American Idiot cover.  

• Surprised 2

12 hours ago, That Dude said:

Did you guys know the "iron fist" that ended up on the Holiday car was originally in the Walking Contradiction video at 2:17?   It looked more like the Infinity Gauntlet but I wonder if that inspired the American Idiot cover.  

I've always thought it looked like the Infinity Gauntlet, lol. That's cool!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GreenDayJunkie86 said:

I've always thought it looked like the Infinity Gauntlet, lol. That's cool!

If Green Day are in possession of the gauntlet, is that a good thing or a bad thing?   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, That Dude said:

If Green Day are in possession of the gauntlet, is that a good thing or a bad thing?   

It would be a good thing. If he set the gauntlet to one person instead of the universe however it would be Donald Trump 😄. Not saying that killing Trump is the good thing though, lol. Not getting TOO political.

Overall I feel like it is a good thing. 

Thanos Joe Armstrong. Hehe.

Also, I forgot to say like a million days ago that I named my LesPaul "Armstrong". Sadly it's not a Gibson since those are expensive.

• Like 2

Unbelievably The Longshot "Love is for Losers" is six years old today!

• Like 3
  • Surprised 4

9 hours ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

I just listened to that whole album 4-5 days ago!  I don’t collect many vinyl records, but I think I’d want this on vinyl over most Green Day records.  The sound just has that vinyl feel.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

It's still one of the best things Billie has ever done.

When you hear songs all the time you're not necessarily listening to the lyrics, but every time I actually pay attention to "I searched the winter for the bride of Frankenstein" it hits me in the gut. The whole album is just SO GOOD, but that lyric is one of the most poignant and beautiful portrayals, ever, of two people who can't be together. I'm so glad I got it tattooed.

• Like 4

Went to Record Store Day and got Jesse Malin's The Heat album.  20th anniversary edition that includes a 45, download card and on translucent green day vinyl.   The back it looks a whole lot like No Fun Monday's back cover, which is cool.    And it's Green Day related because it was made in New York when Billie was hanging out with Ryan Adams and Jesse during the early recording days of American Idiot - workshopping songs together.  Billie isn't credited on The Heat, but some of his influence without a doubt went into some of Ryan Adam's guitar and production work.   

Also, how do you say Malin?   MAY-LEN or MA-LEN? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, That Dude said:

Also, how do you say Malin?   MAY-LEN or MA-LEN? 

I say MA-LIN

• Like 1

Came up with an updated tier list for Green Day albums and felt like sharing it here. Some controversial opinions but I think this is accurate to how I feel about each of these projects

S - 21st Century Breakdown, Dookie, American Idiot, Stop Drop and Roll!!!

A - Nimrod, Warning, Insomniac, Saviors, Uno, Dos, Tré

B - Shenanigans, Revolution Radio, The Longshot, Kerplunk, 1039/SOSH

C - Money Money 2020, Father of All

D - Money Money 2020 Part II, No Fun Mondays

---

The biggest difference from my previous tier list include the trilogy being a tier higher. A tier higher than RevRad. I've had the opinion for a while that the trilogy has more quality to it than RevRad but with the caveat that RevRad as an album is better than Uno, Dos or Tré individually. But now, I just don't think that anymore. Each trilogy album stands on its own pretty damn well imo. And altogether, they make up a really fantastic project, even if it's not as good as American Idiot or 21st Century Breakdown, even if it still has a number of flaws keeping it from S tier. Revolution Radio is still a fine album but it's really let down by its production and the lyrics, which is part of what makes Saviors so much better as an album than RevRad. The production especially stands out on Saviors after RevRad and FOAMF. The lyrics aren't fantastic on Saviors tbf but I think they're a step up compared to the rest of their post-21CB stuff.

• Like 1

Copypasting that same format 'cause I'm bored out of my damn mind. Skipped Network/Longshot/BJA projects, but included Foxboro.

S - 21st Century Breakdown, American Idiot, Dos
A - Saviors, Uno, Tre, Nimrod, Dookie
B - 1039, Stop Drop and Roll, Insomniac
C - Father of All, Kerplunk
D  - Warning, Shenanigans
F - Revolution Radio

Short explanation for everything:

- Dos! will always be my favorite album from Green Day, so I can't put it anywhere else than in S tier. Musically it's not as ambitious, big and creative as 21st Century Breakdown nor American Idiot, but guitar solos, riffs and Mike's bass work are amazing and I'm a big fan of their take on garage rock. No fillers on Dos! either, with 21st CB/AI there are fillers I skip when I listen album from start to finish (mostly See the Light/Extraordinary Girl).

- Saviors is their best album since Trilogy, Uno and Tre are both great but not as great as Dos!, Nimrod is really good and obviously Dookie is a classic. As for why Dookie isn't S tier, I actually don't like few Dookie songs and F.O.D's awful production (too quiet then extra loud sound) sometimes gets on my nerves.

- 1039 is what started it all and I adore At the Library to death, Stop Drop and Roll is very fun with Dark Side of Night being the peak of that project and then there is Insomniac, which I've always seen as Dookie but worse.

- I enjoy FOA as what it is, although title track is definitely not great. Kerplunk suffers from far too many songs I skip and obviously production isn't that great either, but that works in some songs like No One Knows.

- I've always disliked Warning and Shenanigans. Crappy poppy acoustic album and B-sides, definitely not my thing. Misery is however extremely good and belongs on top 20 Green Day songs list.

- Fuck Revolution Radio.

• Surprised 1

On 4/20/2024 at 4:52 AM, Robbie1039 said:

I just listened to that whole album 4-5 days ago!  I don’t collect many vinyl records, but I think I’d want this on vinyl over most Green Day records.  The sound just has that vinyl feel.  

I also want a Longshot Vinyl. I don't really collect a lot of vinyls, just mostly special colored ones or anniversary ones. A Longshot one would be cool. 

On 4/17/2024 at 6:36 AM, The 99th revolution said:

Thanos Joe Armstrong. Hehe.

Also, I forgot to say like a million days ago that I named my LesPaul "Armstrong". Sadly it's not a Gibson since those are expensive.

Cool name! I have a Maestro by Gibson and it is one of the Maestros that look almost identical to a Les Paul. I found it off of Craigslist for about $80. When we drove to get it the lady thought it was broken, she she gave it to us for $20. She didn't know that it was just the high E string that was caught on one of the frets. She thought it was broken because it made a bad sound. I fixed it in five seconds. So in the end I got a high quality Gibson for only $20. I think there are some cheap Les Pauls on Craigslist. They are still expensive, but it is better than the ones on other websites. You never know what you can find on Craigslist.  

27 minutes ago, Miko said:

Copypasting that same format 'cause I'm bored out of my damn mind. Skipped Network/Longshot/BJA projects, but included Foxboro.

S - 21st Century Breakdown, American Idiot, Dos
A - Saviors, Uno, Tre, Nimrod, Dookie
B - 1039, Stop Drop and Roll, Insomniac
C - Father of All, Kerplunk
D  - Warning, Shenanigans
F - Revolution Radio

Short explanation for everything:

- Dos! will always be my favorite album from Green Day, so I can't put it anywhere else than in S tier. Musically it's not as ambitious, big and creative as 21st Century Breakdown nor American Idiot, but guitar solos, riffs and Mike's bass work are amazing and I'm a big fan of their take on garage rock. No fillers on Dos! either, with 21st CB/AI there are fillers I skip when I listen album from start to finish (mostly See the Light/Extraordinary Girl).

- Saviors is their best album since Trilogy, Uno and Tre are both great but not as great as Dos!, Nimrod is really good and obviously Dookie is a classic. As for why Dookie isn't S tier, I actually don't like few Dookie songs and F.O.D's awful production (too quiet then extra loud sound) sometimes gets on my nerves.

- 1039 is what started it all and I adore At the Library to death, Stop Drop and Roll is very fun with Dark Side of Night being the peak of that project and then there is Insomniac, which I've always seen as Dookie but worse.

- I enjoy FOA as what it is, although title track is definitely not great. Kerplunk suffers from far too many songs I skip and obviously production isn't that great either, but that works in some songs like No One Knows.

- I've always disliked Warning and Shenanigans. Crappy poppy acoustic album and B-sides, definitely not my thing. Misery is however extremely good and belongs on top 20 Green Day songs list.

- Fuck Revolution Radio.

If you don't mind asking, why such a bad review for Rev Rad? The description explains itself, but I want to know more 😄

10 minutes ago, GreenDayJunkie86 said:

I also want a Longshot Vinyl. I don't really collect a lot of vinyls, just mostly special colored ones or anniversary ones. A Longshot one would be cool. 

Cool name! I have a Maestro by Gibson and it is one of the Maestros that look almost identical to a Les Paul. I found it off of Craigslist for about $80. When we drove to get it the lady thought it was broken, she she gave it to us for $20. She didn't know that it was just the high E string that was caught on one of the frets. She thought it was broken because it made a bad sound. I fixed it in five seconds. So in the end I got a high quality Gibson for only $20. I think there are some cheap Les Pauls on Craigslist. They are still expensive, but it is better than the ones on other websites. You never know what you can find on Craigslist.  

If you don't mind asking, why such a bad review for Rev Rad? The description explains itself, but I want to know more 😄

I posted this on Saviors Album Thread few days ago.

Biggest problem with RR is the production. Quiet parts are too quiet and loud parts are too loud. Songs like Bang Bang and Outlaws suffer heavily from this, but when Forever Now gets more epic and adds more guitars, it also suffers from this and becomes a mess that is impossible to listen and enjoy. I'm not a fan of lyrics on any songs, although line ''fuck you i'm from oakland'' is kinda funny. It was also too serious and and too real album for my taste, if Saviors was nothing but heavy tracks like Dilemma, I wouldn't enjoy it. Albums need to have dumb fun songs (that also hopefully sounds as good as Corvette Summer), but if those tracks are missing or those tracks are just not great songs (Youngblood), album isn't great. Lastly, RR was seen as ''return to form'' which I disagree the most with and I saw it as taking a step back after Trilogy. It didn't feel like natural evolution (except on lyrics I suppose) musically, but rather fan service with thought of ''ye we fucked up with trilogy so heres an album that is closer to american idiot/21st century breakdown sound''.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Miko said:

I posted this on Saviors Album Thread few days ago.

Sorry, I haven't read anything in a while. Woops. I am just now reacting to everything now, haha. Thanks for the explanation, I don't think I have ever heard Rev Rad being put so low.