Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

2 hours ago, solongfromthestars said:

I didn't know this existed! Wish Billie still did random acoustic songs as closers.

Agreed, even if it’s just a verse or so.

• Like 2

Yet he picked Coming Clean out of all the songs that are amazing on acoustic. Not my favorite song, but I'll take it I guess.

ABC World News Tonight showed a still of college kids, maybe waiting in line for covid testing, and one of the kids had on a Dookie shirt (and yes, he was wearing a mask). The shirt itself was almost the same color as Blue and I want it 😄

• Like 3

So I was so bored today that I've login in my WorldCat account for the first time in almost 10 years. I was curious to see if universities' libraries had books about Green Day. Well, some do have books about Green Day. But there was also a few thesis about the band. Also, Larry Livermore and Aaron Cometbus' archives about Green Day and others belong to Cornell University. 

• Like 3

Oh...I have the tendency to do the same during certain songs...so I guess I should ease up on hitting myself in the chest 😅

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Green Day In Seattle said:

I recently watched the behind the scenes videos for BOBD and was lamenting how there's no making of for Holiday. There are little tidbits here and there in the BOBD making of, but I would love to see how they did the whole thing. I do remember from an MTV videography special in 2009 where Billie talked about making Holiday how he hit himself in the chest so hard with the microphone (multiple times) that he injured his ribs and it took them over a month to heal.

The biologist in me thinks about how that could have not turned out so well. There is a condition that's extremely rare, but does happen enough to be a medically significant, where blunt force directly over the heart at a very specific time in the cardiac cycle can cause it to stop. In other words, if Billie had pounded the mic into his chest at the wrong time in the wrong place, he would have caused his heart to stop beating. That's usually around 75% mortality as well if that happens.

Makes you appreciate the sometimes seemingly insignificant sacrifices the boys have made for some of these music videos. 😬

Wow, I never knew that. So cool that you are a biologist too.

On 8/23/2020 at 6:02 PM, IcyMoffatt said:

So I was so bored today that I've login in my WorldCat account for the first time in almost 10 years. I was curious to see if universities' libraries had books about Green Day. Well, some do have books about Green Day. But there was also a few thesis about the band. Also, Larry Livermore and Aaron Cometbus' archives about Green Day and others belong to Cornell University. 

That moment when you realize you took the wrong career path...to think I could have done something that would have allowed me to write a thesis on Green Day....🤣

I wish "making of" music videos was a thing in the 1990s. "Making of" videos for Basket Case, Brain Stew and Walking Contradiction would be so freakin' good. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, RedundantIdiot said:

I wish "making of" music videos was a thing in the 1990s. "Making of" videos for Basket Case, Brain Stew and Walking Contradiction would be so freakin' good. 

There were making of videos around in the 90’s (even in mid late 80’s as well) on mtv but they were mainly set for major bands and artists such like Michael Jackson Madonna at the time acts that pretty much Their labels pretty much set no limits on their budgets  

On 8/24/2020 at 6:23 AM, The Grohl said:

Oh...I have the tendency to do the same during certain songs...so I guess I should ease up on hitting myself in the chest 😅

It has to be a pretty significantly damaging and pinpointed impact in order for that to happen so I think you're probably safe. :lol: Billie, using a relatively slender microphone and hitting himself hard enough to do lasting damage, was at a much higher risk. Even under those circumstances it's still very unlikely to occur. BTW the official term for this condition is called commotio cordis, if anyone wanted to know.

• Like 2

Maybe an unpopular opinion but the movie Ordinary World is more like an Ordinary Movie.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

Maybe an unpopular opinion but the movie Ordinary World is more like an Ordinary Movie.

Yeah I agree. It's a cute movie with some funny moments, but if Billie wasn't in it I wouldn't even bother with it.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, The Grohl said:

Yeah I agree. It's a cute movie with some funny moments, but if Billie wasn't in it I wouldn't even bother with it.

I only watched it because Billie was in it, but the movie made me think quite a bit

Listening to Dry Ice thinking about how one of Green Day (I don't even remember which and can't find the letter) used to sing "the pain that's in my arm" but I could sing "the pain that's in my art" and that would be my life as an arts graduate

• Haha 1

On 8/24/2020 at 4:34 AM, Green Day In Seattle said:

I recently watched the behind the scenes videos for BOBD and was lamenting how there's no making of for Holiday. There are little tidbits here and there in the BOBD making of, but I would love to see how they did the whole thing. I do remember from an MTV videography special in 2009 where Billie talked about making Holiday how he hit himself in the chest so hard with the microphone (multiple times) that he injured his ribs and it took them over a month to heal.

q9hXT7R.gif

The biologist in me thinks about how that could have not turned out so well. There is a condition that's extremely rare, but does happen enough to be a medically significant, where blunt force directly over the heart at a very specific time in the cardiac cycle can cause it to stop. In other words, if Billie had pounded the mic into his chest at the wrong time in the wrong place, he would have caused his heart to stop beating. That's usually around 75% mortality as well if that happens.

Makes you appreciate the sometimes seemingly insignificant sacrifices the boys have made for some of these music videos. 😬

tenor.gif

There is an American Idiot Special Edition with a DVD that has the making of Boulevard of Broken Dreams and Holiday, plus then music videos. I recently  purchase a copy but I can't watch it cause it's a region 2 DVD and I'm in Canada... 

On 9/6/2020 at 7:46 AM, billiesblue said:

sometimes I wish the Longshot would do a mini tour after this is all over

World tour please🙏

• Like 4

The Longshot just needs to tour since they canceled the first one. They never made it to Chicago 😒

• Liam unpinned this topic