Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

2 hours ago, That Dude said:

Man, this place is a ghost town lately!  

It totally is and it's kinda sad especially considering GD have and will be putting out more new music in the months to come.

2 hours ago, That Dude said:

That's my favorite photo of the live Green Day band.   Aaah, what a time that was!  

I think the Big Three should be aloud to go on tour as "Green Day", but with cheap prices!     

Green Day - coming to you hole-in-the-wall bar (will NOT sell out, come by when you please :)

Yeah it's a really cool photo from a cool time in GD's history.

Big three with cheap prices? I'll go for that :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

It totally is and it's kinda sad especially considering GD have and will be putting out more new music in the months to come.

To be fair we usually have more lyrics to debate. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 11/13/2019 at 4:48 AM, greendepent said:

I like how the last posts of this were about seeing the band in 2009, how time flies and how great those times were watching them. I use to watch videos from the Breakdown era time to time just make a reality check into myself that I saw them in that era too and probably it was a total peak in terms of quality of performance. That fire is somewhat gone right now but I can feel only gratitude for what happened in those shows.

I remember doing that as well during that era, I was in middle school at the time.  I loved seeing American Eulogy and the Static Age live, they kicked ass.  Hell, I remember being psyched beating songs on GD Rockband and seeing live performances unlocked haha.  

I do also agree that those eras had some of the best setlists and pure unbridled energy from the whole band as well.  It was an amazing follow up to AI, and I don't think we've gotten something on the same level of quality form yet since 2009 imo. 

I got a new headcanon in which Green Day inadvertently cause apocalypse. 

Hear me out - FOAM isn't even out yet, but it's already managed to make us shut up about the Trilogy. Now it's pretty much clear that it wasn't that bad. The question that naturally follows is: what will redeem FOAM and then, what will redeem the album that will make us think FOAM wasn't that bad? If they keep releasing albums long enough, eventually the only thing left to make us think it wasn't that bad will be the armageddon.

• Haha 4

I wasn't sure if big international artists ever played in Morocco, but I just found out that David Guetta played Rabat. This is proof that Green Day also should. #cometomorocco

• Haha 2

Random thoughts about their previous and next tours

Fuck man, I really REALLY really REALLY really wanna hear ''Stop When the Red Lights Flash'' live again when they come to Finland. I'm sooooo sad that they ditched whole trilogy after that 99 Revolutions Tour (excluding one time Nuclear Family and Amy perfomances, plus of course Longshot shows) and there are way too many bangers to completely forget. Atleast I got to hear so many trilogy songs back in 2013 (even Stray Heart which is definitely not my favorite!) but I really need more.

Oh, why is Jason singing backing vocals for She? He did that during Halloween show and he didn't do that during any of previous tours.. Billie is sounding great but maybe he wants to avoid extra work and play it safe? Dunno, just strange.

God I forgot already how fucking awesome Brutal Love was when perfomed live. Another song that was ditched because reasons.

When we're at trilogy topic again, could boys show some love to 21CB album again? Throw Know Your Enemy away and add like two different 21CB songs! Name track, East Jesus Nowhere, American Eulogy, The Static Age, Viva La Gloria, whatever. Any song from that album (excluding Know Your Enemy) is welcomed.

I know that they will never stop playing any of American Idiot hits, but I'm wayyyyy too tired of American Idiot and Holiday at this point.

Can they play Hitchin' a Ride as 4min song please? Not every song needs to be streched to oblivion.

21CB (track) and 99 Revolutions are the best openers ever for big shows. Welcome to Paradise works great in smaller shows.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

On 11/19/2019 at 1:28 PM, Beerjeezus said:

I got a new headcanon in which Green Day inadvertently cause apocalypse. 

Hear me out - FOAM isn't even out yet, but it's already managed to make us shut up about the Trilogy. Now it's pretty much clear that it wasn't that bad. The question that naturally follows is: what will redeem FOAM and then, what will redeem the album that will make us think FOAM wasn't that bad? If they keep releasing albums long enough, eventually the only thing left to make us think it wasn't that bad will be the armageddon.

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

I'm was way too young to follow Green Day's live perfomances back in 21CB tour so I was always interested to compare Awesome as Fuck CD versions to real fancam experience. As it turned out, most of the songs really did sound that good but most notably Christie Road sounds very different, but that can also be because of the quality I found. Rather than just posting my random ass thoughts (or making a thread), I figured I'd also share clips I were able to find and maybe someone can fill the missing ones. The Boys™ were definitely in their prime during this tour and it's huge shame I missed it, but thanks for these and all the other footage we have from this tour, I can always just go back and enjoy their best perfomances ever.

1. 21st Century Breakdown (Live from Wembley)

2. Know Your Enemy (Not full, Live from Manchester, England)

3. East Jesus Nowhere (Not full, Live from Glasgow, Scotland)

4. Holiday (Missing, only footage from 2009 Dublin concerts are available)

5. ¡Viva la Gloria! (Live from Dallas, Texas)

6. Cigarettes and Valentines (Live from Phoenix, Arizona. I believe this one was merged with different perfomances to one track, but I could be wrong)

7. Burnout (Not full, Live from Irvine, California)

8. Going To Pasalaqua (Live from Chula Vista, California)

9. J.A.R (Live from Clarkston, Michigan)

10. Who Wrote Holden Caulfield? (Live from New York)

11. Geek Stink Breath (Fancam missing, I believe this perfomance was used both on DVD and CD)

12. When I Come Around (Live from Berlin, Germany)

13. She (8th of December 2009 perfomance missing, video is from 9th of December 2009. Live from Brisbane, Australia)

14. 21 Guns (Live from Mountain View, California)

15. American Idiot (Live from Montreal, Canada)

16. Wake Me Up When September Ends (Live from Nickelsdorf, Austria)

17. Good Riddance (Time of Your life) (Live from Nickelsdorf, Austria)

18. Letterbomb (Not full, Live from Chula Vista, California)

19. Christie Road (Worst quality out of these 18 songs. Live from Hartford, Connecticut)

12 hours ago, Miko said:

I'm was way too young to follow Green Day's live perfomances back in 21CB tour so I was always interested to compare Awesome as Fuck CD versions to real fancam experience. As it turned out, most of the songs really did sound that good but most notably Christie Road sounds very different, but that can also be because of the quality I found. Rather than just posting my random ass thoughts (or making a thread), I figured I'd also share clips I were able to find and maybe someone can fill the missing ones. The Boys™ were definitely in their prime during this tour and it's huge shame I missed it, but thanks for these and all the other footage we have from this tour, I can always just go back and enjoy their best perfomances ever.

Nah, they definitely auto-tuned (or rather to more correct: pitch-corrected) the vocals on Christie Road, I mean it is so blatantly obvious. It might not have been Billie's or the band's decision, since production was outsourced to another company, but they 100% did that for that performance. Honestly, AAF as a whole has its moments and I definitely don't mind it as a live album, but it's just so damn overproduced. You can literally find live performances of the same tour and time that sound so much better and more authentic (MTV live at Kesselhaus, MTV World Stage Munich, Last Night on Earth: Live in Tokyo EP, 21 Guns Live EP). That's because in those instances the performances were competently mixed, mastered and even slightly tweaked, but never over-processed. Kinda what they did with Bullet In A Bible too. That really is a genuine live album and arguably more genuine then even some 70s and 80s live albums, since those actually featured extensive over-dubs in a number of cases (Thin Lizzy being a big culprit), though of course no auto-tune or pitch-correction. 

As to wether they pitch-corrected any other songs on AAF, I very much assume so, but not to the awfully obvious extent that they modified Christie Road's vocals. This is not to say Billie is a bad singer or that the performances were bad. On the contrary, the great strength of the live performances listed above and of BIAB is precisely THAT they give a fair representation of the band's capabilities and Billie's vocals (as well as the rest) still sound absolutely amazing!

7 hours ago, MillenniumFan said:

Nah, they definitely auto-tuned (or rather to more correct: pitch-corrected) the vocals on Christie Road, I mean it is so blatantly obvious. It might not have been Billie's or the band's decision, since production was outsourced to another company, but they 100% did that for that performance. Honestly, AAF as a whole has its moments and I definitely don't mind it as a live album, but it's just so damn overproduced. You can literally find live performances of the same tour and time that sound so much better and more authentic (MTV live at Kesselhaus, MTV World Stage Munich, Last Night on Earth: Live in Tokyo EP, 21 Guns Live EP). That's because in those instances the performances were competently mixed, mastered and even slightly tweaked, but never over-processed. Kinda what they did with Bullet In A Bible too. That really is a genuine live album and arguably more genuine then even some 70s and 80s live albums, since those actually featured extensive over-dubs in a number of cases (Thin Lizzy being a big culprit), though of course no auto-tune or pitch-correction. 

As to wether they pitch-corrected any other songs on AAF, I very much assume so, but not to the awfully obvious extent that they modified Christie Road's vocals. This is not to say Billie is a bad singer or that the performances were bad. On the contrary, the great strength of the live performances listed above and of BIAB is precisely THAT they give a fair representation of the band's capabilities and Billie's vocals (as well as the rest) still sound absolutely amazing!

More I listen, More I agree. Christie Road is definitely pitch-corrected and lefts me wonder wasn't there a single proper good fucking perfomance of Christie Road during 21CB tour if that had to be done? I had my biggest doubts (''can it really sound that good?'') with She, since I've watched way too many live perfomances of that song and Billie Joe never screams like that. Turns out it's little bit pitch-corrected (in chorus) but holy hell, those screams definitely were his. I was proud! Then I listened Christie Road again and I was like ''what the fuck am I even listening at?''. I think whole album is somewhat pitch-corrected, but only in Christie Road it's noticeable.

Regarding BIAB vs. AAF, I've always loved Awesome as Fuck more. Deeper setlist with their best songs = always number one. Of course, BIAB is more raw and honest than AAF, but AAF still takes the cake. Billie Joe's voice from that era is just something else (not talking about AAF).

• Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 12:25 AM, Miko said:

Regarding BIAB vs. AAF, I've always loved Awesome as Fuck more. Deeper setlist with their best songs = always number one. Of course, BIAB is more raw and honest than AAF, but AAF still takes the cake. Billie Joe's voice from that era is just something else (not talking about AAF).

I agree that vocally AAF is better than BIAB, but I even prefer Rev Rad vocally. He's always sung right but then I guess it's the tone of his voice that has evolved with age that I prefer. Longer shows during RevRad also tended to bring him a more deep and strained voice that is my favorite. Since the new era and even since the Longshot he's mostly had a voice closer to studio version or to his speaking voice, clearer, shriller. Not that I don't like it. But it's not the best for me

@UNICORN VOMIT why why did you react sad to my previous comment? What point :P?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, The Bellie said:

I agree that vocally AAF is better than BIAB, but I even prefer Rev Rad vocally. He's always sung right but then I guess it's the tone of his voice that has evolved with age that I prefer. Longer shows during RevRad also tended to bring him a more deep and strained voice that is my favorite. Since the new era and even since the Longshot he's mostly had a voice closer to studio version or to his speaking voice, clearer, shriller. Not that I don't like it. But it's not the best for me

@UNICORN VOMIT why why did you react sad to my previous comment? What point :P?

I don't read posts longer than 3 lines so No. 7 is what I read😶

• Haha 1

On 11/23/2019 at 2:20 AM, UNICORN VOMIT said:

I don't read posts longer than 3 lines so No. 7 is what I read😶

I still don't get what was sad about it 😂 (infamous I would get, but sad? Although the reactions emojis we can have are limited 😁

I've thought of another question : who is the one who is the best driver (or feels the most at ease driving) of Billie, Mike and Tré? Cause as someone with consequent adhd I love driving but learning was rather slow. Too much stuff popping up here and there, distracting from the road

Edit : Billies recent showing thoughts about his dad seems to confirm my point 6. Already with the Longshot he hinted at him. I think it's lovey the way he does it. The first illustration for his "cult hero" was a pic of his dad. I just wish he doesn't make an assimilation, in a way or another, of his fate with his dad's, and reaches 50 in peace. He's still young and healthy. And his dad is so proud of him from where he is 

I was playing Animal Jam earlier, and I found like, five other fans! I am really glad that they like GD because now I have friends.

• Like 1

I am still surprised that they didn't, I always expected to get one, they really missed out on that, when you think how long the musical has been running around the world it seemed like a no-brainier, Billie seemed amazing in it but wish there was more, high quality footage.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Yeah, even if they do something now it somehow just wouldn't be the same. As you say it seemed like a total no-brainer and missed opportunity

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

I so wish they had made a professional recording of the musical while it was at the St James Theatre

My guess is they did, for archival purposes as many shows are, but not for commercial release 😢

• Sad 1

Someone actually hid a camera in her bra, opened her shirt and filmed the show! It was briefly on YouTube but got taken down :( There was someone else attached a small camera to their hat and filmed the show but that got taken down too :( 

• Haha 1

I remember they were filming and we all thought a live recording was underway :(

Just now, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

Someone actually hid a camera in her bra, opened her shirt and filmed the show! It was briefly on YouTube but got taken down :( There was someone else attached a small camera to their hat and filmed the show but that got taken down too :( 

Oh I had no idea people went so out of their way to film :lol:

These bootlegs are still possible to watch though. I'm pretty sure I saw someone post a link on Tumblr so it's still saved somewhere

• Liam unpinned this topic