Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

Random GDA thought: So I was snooping through the site today and I came across this gem: http://www.greendayauthority.com/site/images/3rdoldlayout-big.png

As lame as it sounds, seeing the old layout immediately put a smile on my face because it took me back to 2005 when I first got into Green Day and discovered the site. I can vividly remember being on GDA for hours learning all there was to know about the band. Ahhh, good times :)

The lyrics "remember to learn to forget" get me every time I listen to Before the Lobotmy because they way I see it there are two possible interpretations:

1) Remember something in order to learn to forget it

or, my personal favorite

2) "Remember you have to learn to forget" which in my head sounds as if it were written on a sticky note, like "hey, remember you have to try and learn to forget, today!". I especially love this interpretation because it’s telling you to let go of the past, but at the same time it acknowledges the fact that it’s not easy to move on, and treats the process of forgetting as if it were an exercise to be done daily, implying that it’s ok if you don’t succeed on your first try, because you’ll get better at it as time goes by.

I just hope the second one is not just a linguistic misinterpretation (since English in not my first language) and what I said actually makes sense :lol:

I never really thought about that line before, but I really, really like it now, based on your interpretation! Very cool insight.

Nice insight, esp. as an English as a second language speaker, but you sort of have to take the line in context, don't you? "Remember to learn to forget/whiskey shots and cheap cigarettes." The learning to forget line ties into the next line about the whiskey shots, so I'd say your second interpretation is definitely far more on the mark than your first (although it's generalized quite a bit).

I think the second interpretation makes sense in the context, too. Whiskey shots and cheap cigarettes is a way to forget when learning to forget fails. that's how I always understood the line.
  • Like 3

I always took the two lines together - "remember to learn to forget whiskey shots and cheap cigarettes", i.e. remember to figure out how to leave behind the whiskey and cigarettes.

• Like 1

While I'm not a huge Uno fan, I do think "Loss of Control is a fun song.

And this is a fun performance.

Edited by One Hot Minute
  • Like 3

I always took the two lines together - "remember to learn to forget whiskey shots and cheap cigarettes", i.e. remember to figure out how to leave behind the whiskey and cigarettes.

I see it now that you said it. The whole verse makes sense now. "It's enough to make you sick..." part connects to it really well.
  • Like 1

The album is truly over looked - there are some amazing lyrics. It's on repeat in my car at the moment.

it's sometimes difficult to see them as a cohesive concept, not as one liners, but since I bothered to look into then more deeply they grew on me. I'm a huge 21cb fan and the lyrics are the reason why.
  • Like 3

it's sometimes difficult to see them as a cohesive concept, not as one liners, but since I bothered to look into then more deeply they grew on me. I'm a huge 21cb fan and the lyrics are the reason why.

I'm a huge fan of the vocals as well. I think it is Billie's best, other than Foreverly.

• Like 1

I'm a huge fan of the vocals as well. I think it is Billie's best, other than Foreverly.

Yes, it is definitely his best. I'd live with less filters, though. Sometimes he sounds a bit chipmunky. I like it still :D
  • Like 1

Yes, it is definitely his best. I'd live with less filters, though. Sometimes he sounds a bit chipmunky. I like it still :D

True, but that is the production. He enunciates and overall just great vocals.

• Like 1

While I'm not a 21CB guy, I will acknowledge one kick-ass thing it brought us:
THE best Green Day tour. Ever. No questions asked.

• Like 1

While I'm not a 21CB guy, I will acknowledge one kick-ass thing it brought us:

THE best Green Day tour. Ever. No questions asked.

Absolutely. I'm still sad I couldn't see them back then, although I have to say I had a lot of fun seeing them on the 99 Revolutions Tour. That's what I'm most concerned about when thinking about the band's future: will they ever embark on a tour as amazing as that one?

Yeah, that's the thing I get to thinking about as well. It can be plausibly argued that the 21CBD tour was their best tour ever, and it makes me sad that they most likely will not achieve that level of perfection again :(

This. The only thing that makes me not want to give up hope is that after they released Dookie I feel like people thought that would be their best work of their entire career, and then right when everyone thought Green Day was done for, American Idiot came out and they reached a whole new level of greatness. Maybe history will repeat itself in the not-so-distant future, who knows. The thing I'm worried about is when they released AI they were in their early 30's, but that was quite a few years ago: what if they reach their "oh, we're too old for this kind of things" phase before they can plan and organize a tour like the 21st CB one?

I'm not sure if they'll be able to replicate the success they had with Dookie and AI, though. It's very rare for a band to alter the music landscape twice in their careers..... doing it three times is pretty much unheard of. I would be absolutely thrilled if it were to happen, but I very much doubt it. I'd be happy with an album like 21CBD or, if they wanted to get away from the grandiose stadium rock, something like Insomniac.

As for their age, they're only in their early 40's. They've still got at least 10 years in them, and in all likelihood they could do what bands like AC/DC and the Rolling Stones do as they got older and tour without putting out new albums. They've essentially reached the stage where a new album isn't even needed because they have such a massive back catalogue of songs they could re-learn and promote and they could just tour using songs from lesser-known albums like Insomniac or Nimrod. All they'd need to do to keep more casual fans happy would be to sprinkle in some of their hits throughout the setlist and they'd be grand.

Yeah, you're right. I'd love for them to write something 21st CB-esque to be honest, despite all the hate that album received when it came out and the consequent chaos it sparked in the fanbase -but that's something that's pretty much bound to happen anyway for almost every album any band releases. Plus, I saw Metallica play live 3 years ago, and I must say, at 50 years old, they could still put on a mean show. I'm seeing them again in less then a month, let's see what they can do at 53 :lol:

• Like 1

I want to discuss the 'Riding in Vans with Boys' movie but I don't want to start a new thread that might get like... Six replies and be archived in a few years. What do you guys think of it? I had a spur-of-the-moment decision at eleven last night to watch it, and I remembered how awesome it was. Even though, they didn't put Tre's name in the opening credits even if he was rarely in the film, he was still apart of Green Day. =/ other than that, it's cool. ;)

I want to discuss the 'Riding in Vans with Boys' movie but I don't want to start a new thread that might get like... Six replies and be archived in a few years. What do you guys think of it? I had a spur-of-the-moment decision at eleven last night to watch it, and I remembered how awesome it was. Even though, they didn't put Tre's name in the opening credits even if he was rarely in the film, he was still apart of Green Day. =/ other than that, it's cool. ;)

Try asking in the movie club too. You might get more responses there.
  • Like 1

So, I spent today's public holiday reading Cometbus: In China With Green Day. I expected it to be a longer article about the band written from perspective of a journalist who got closer to them thanks to being an old friend. I was pleasantly surprised that the zine is way better than that. Aaron is a talented writer; intelligent, witty, sometimes ironic. His personal experience of tour (or rather travelling), opinions and knowledge are what makes it really enjoyable. The zine provides valuable insight into the backstage. I knew his work only from Pinhead Gunpowder lyrics and expected him to be good, but he does seem to be a really cool person, even though our opinions sometimes differ. He writes from a "true punk's" point of view; a big part of the zine is him reconciling with Green Day's decisions and popularity. Personally, I never really understood why should their "selling out" be considered underground scene's business. If a band decides to leave underground and make money and pursue a successful mainstream career instead, it's a valid decision. It's ok to have an opinion about that, but it's not wrong, either. Just another way of playing in a band. It's as simple as that - no thing to spend 20 years debatig about.

As to his criticism of Green Day: regarding shows, Aaron's opinions are similar to mine. He criticises the King For A Day medley, Billie's overzealousness when pumping up the crowd - I agree with these opinions. Aaron's also nostalgic about the old times when Green Day shows weren't only about Billie, he doesn't like his modern stage persona. I'm positive this opinion is shared by many, but I don't belong among them. His frontmanship is a part of the show and it's important for their presentation, having a face that outsiders recognise is precisely what a successful band needs. One thing I never really thought about myself was his approach to fans during concerts. Billie's kissing fans made Aaron uncomfortable. He claims that sex symbols should stay untouchable. I never saw this as an issue worth musing about, and don't think Aaron is right about it being inappropriate. If it's what Billie wants to do, I don't mind. Most fans probably don't see it as anything special as well. It's innocent unless you read into it too much.

I think that the guys come of it as quite nice people. Minus the part about Billie's reaciton to criricism - he is described as defensive; mentions of Tre's apetite and his liking of strip bars and hints of past diagreements.

All in all, it's a useful informative publication, an enjoyable read. It gives a positive impression about the band, and likely, it's the furthest we'll ever see behind the scenes.

• Like 4

Now that i think about it, AI and Warning are the only albums where I never ever skip a song when i listen to it. On 1039 i skip Rest, I dont listen to Kerplunk much so idk what i skip on that, on Dookie I skip All By Myself, on Insomniac I skip Panic Song, on Nimrod I skip Last Ride In, on 21CB I skip Christian's Inferno usually, on Uno its Troublemaker (Though I listen to it from time to time), on Dos its Nightlife and onT re its The Forgotten :P Nimrod is still my favorite Green Day album though :3

I only watched it to see the parts with Green Day in it, so some of it dragged on, but I remember Chris was hilarious! :D
  • Like 1

Until now I didn't realize how much I could relate to "No One Knows". No wonder it's always been one of my favorites.

• Like 2

Until now I didn't realize how much I could relate to "No One Knows". No wonder it's always been one of my favorites.

I just started appreciating this song recently.

I just started appreciating this song recently.

A lot of Kerplunk needs more recognition IMO.

And when I say that, I'm talking about mostly the second half of the album.

• Like 4

• Hermione changed the title to Random Green Day Thoughts
  • Liam unpinned this topic
  • Hermione pinned this topic