Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

2 hours ago, The 99th revolution said:

Don't Look Away is a working title for The Forgotten. Dream could mean the cover of Boudleaux Bryant's All I Have To Do Is Dream played in 1992 which was written as Dream in setlist.fm at some point. Fell For Snoo is a working title for Fell for You. I'll Make You Surrender is an alternate title for Red Lights something. Jezebel is an unreleased song from the trilogy sessions which could be Troublemaker. Walk Away could be the American Idiot song. What You Say was one of the fan-speculated titles for Stay. Too Young to Die is presumably a working title for Carpe Diem. I've heard of You Really Got a Hold On Me but I keep thinking of the Kinks song Van Halen covered. How did you get all these titles?

Isn’t it more likely Too Young To Die was a working title for Sex, Drugs and Violence since that’s a line in the song?

• Like 1

Just for fun, I decided to list my favorite deep cuts from each album. This is coming from a perspective of TrilogyLover69, so it's interesting to see do you agree on any of these or not.

1039/Smooth: At the Library
Kerplunk: Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?
Dookie: Pulling Teeth
Insomniac: Geek Stink Breath
Nimrod: Take Back
Warning: Misery
American Idiot: Extraordinary Girl (there are no deep cuts on this record ffs)
21st Century Breakdown: 21st Century Breakdown/The Static Age/American Eulogy/Restless Heart Syndrome/Viva La Gloria!/Viva La Gloria? (couldn't pick one so I chose all of them)
Uno!: Rusty James
Dos!: Makeout Party
Tre!: 8th Avenue Serenade
Revolution Radio: None
Father of All Motherfuckers: Sugar Youth
Saviors: If they never play it, Corvette Summer. In case they play every single song, surely Living in the '20s is gonna be rarerity.

2 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Isn’t it more likely Too Young To Die was a working title for Sex, Drugs and Violence since that’s a line in the song?

If I remember correctly it was "too dumb to die" in that song.

Also I saw this post and figured it was kickass and very accurate to the Insomniac era so here it comes... here it comes... here comes my 19th amazement breakdown!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The 99th revolution said:

Don't Look Away is a working title for The Forgotten. Dream could mean the cover of Boudleaux Bryant's All I Have To Do Is Dream played in 1992 which was written as Dream in setlist.fm at some point. Fell For Snoo is a working title for Fell for You. I'll Make You Surrender is an alternate title for Red Lights something. Jezebel is an unreleased song from the trilogy sessions which could be Troublemaker. Walk Away could be the American Idiot song. What You Say was one of the fan-speculated titles for Stay. Too Young to Die is presumably a working title for Carpe Diem. I've heard of You Really Got a Hold On Me but I keep thinking of the Kinks song Van Halen covered. How did you get all these titles?

Thank you! Van Halen and the kinks did You Really Got Me, so maybe it's that instead of You Really Got A HOLD on Me.   I have an excel spreadsheet listing every Green Day track I've ever heard mentioned in life, be it real, fake, Tre Cool hummed it once while eating lunch, whatever...and these are the ones that seemed the fakest.  😄  

2 hours ago, jengd said:

@That Dude I hear no.22 regularly 😂😂

I used to know what band sung it.  It was during the kazaa/napster days where stuff had incorrect titles and artists and I knew it wasn't Green Day but downloaded it anyway. 

I listened to LAPD by the Offspring and it's like American Eulogy lyrically

10 minutes ago, That Dude said:

Thank you! Van Halen and the kinks did You Really Got Me, so maybe it's that instead of You Really Got A HOLD on Me.   I have an excel spreadsheet listing every Green Day track I've ever heard mentioned in life, be it real, fake, Tre Cool hummed it once while eating lunch, whatever...and these are the ones that seemed the fakest.  😄  

I used to know what band sung it.  It was during the kazaa/napster days where stuff had incorrect titles and artists and I knew it wasn't Green Day but downloaded it anyway. 

Damn you have a whole excel sheet??

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The 99th revolution said:

I listened to LAPD by the Offspring and it's like American Eulogy lyrically

Damn you have a whole excel sheet??

Oh gosh, I see the lyric in question! 😄  and Billie Club....anyway....the spreadsheet has 1138 song titles.  And I have confirmed most real except for 17 or so at this point.  

Holy fuck. Did you confirm Don't Look Away and other trilogy stuff?

1 hour ago, The 99th revolution said:

If I remember correctly it was "too dumb to die" in that song.

Also I saw this post and figured it was kickass and very accurate to the Insomniac era so here it comes... here it comes... here comes my 19th amazement breakdown!

Oh I was thinking of the Demolicious version where he says too young to die 

• Like 1

I didn't think of that! You could be right, thanks for the heads-up.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, The 99th revolution said:

Holy fuck. Did you confirm Don't Look Away and other trilogy stuff?

I'm assuming Don't Look Away is The Forgotten now, but I originally thought Billie covered The Who song called that.   

I'll throw in my two cents on deep cuts:

1039/Smooth: The Judge's Daughter
Kerplunk: One of My Lies
Dookie: Having A Blast/Sassafras Roots (I can't decide!)
Insomniac: Westbound Sign
Nimrod: Prosthetic Head
Warning: Blood, Sex, and Booze
American Idiot: Give Me Novacaine
21st Century Breakdown: Restless Heart Syndrome
Dos!: Lazy Bones
Revolution Radio: Say Goodbye
Father of All Motherfuckers: TTMAC
Saviors: Fancy Sauce

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Grohl said:

I'll throw in my two cents on deep cuts:

1039/Smooth: The Judge's Daughter
Kerplunk: One of My Lies
Dookie: Having A Blast/Sassafras Roots (I can't decide!)
Insomniac: Westbound Sign
Nimrod: Prosthetic Head
Warning: Blood, Sex, and Booze
American Idiot: Give Me Novacaine
21st Century Breakdown: Restless Heart Syndrome
Dos!: Lazy Bones
Revolution Radio: Say Goodbye
Father of All Motherfuckers: TTMAC
Saviors: Fancy Sauce

Solid list. I like how our thoughts regarding deep cuts on Trilogy align together. Lazy Bones is another good shoutout, but god I love Billie's screams on Makeout Party.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Miko said:

Solid list. I like how our thoughts regarding deep cuts on Trilogy align together. Lazy Bones is another good shoutout, but god I love Billie's screams on Makeout Party.

I noticed that too! I was looking at your list and I thought you know what they're right about those Uno and Tre songs! :lol: Makeout Party is pretty solid, but man, do I love Lazy Bones. It's one of those songs where it comes on and I have to stop and listen to it. No skipping past that one.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Grohl said:

I noticed that too! I was looking at your list and I thought you know what they're right about those Uno and Tre songs! :lol: Makeout Party is pretty solid, but man, do I love Lazy Bones. It's one of those songs where it comes on and I have to stop and listen to it. No skipping past that one.

I can't believe they've completely ditched Rusty James and 8th Avenue Serenade from Green Day and other side project related things! They're pretty much harmless compared to Lazy Bones and Makeout Party and are genuinely great tunes. I'm not holding hope for either of tracks getting attention for potential Trilogy reissue, but never say never and I'd love to see some Rusty James/8th Avenue Serenade love from the band itself :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, That Dude said:

I'm assuming Don't Look Away is The Forgotten now, but I originally thought Billie covered The Who song called that.   

I saw Don't Look Away on Cuatro and it's definitely the Forgotten. Any chance you could give some parts of the spreadsheet for a fanmade Westbound Sign cover art?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Miko said:

I can't believe they've completely ditched Rusty James and 8th Avenue Serenade from Green Day and other side project related things! They're pretty much harmless compared to Lazy Bones and Makeout Party and are genuinely great tunes. I'm not holding hope for either of tracks getting attention for potential Trilogy reissue, but never say never and I'd love to see some Rusty James/8th Avenue Serenade love from the band itself :)

Billie said that he doesn't play much Trilogy same reason as not playing much 21CB iirc, but I might be wrong. After all, Oh Love and Nuclear Family were on 2023 setlists, so that can mean they'll be rehearsing some medium cits off Uno and maybe Tre in the future. Bet on Let Yourself Go, 99 Revs and maybe even Red Lights something!

6 hours ago, Miko said:

Just for fun, I decided to list my favorite deep cuts from each album. This is coming from a perspective of TrilogyLover69, so it's interesting to see do you agree on any of these or not.

1039/Smooth: At the Library
Kerplunk: Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?
Dookie: Pulling Teeth
Insomniac: Geek Stink Breath
Nimrod: Take Back
Warning: Misery
American Idiot: Extraordinary Girl (there are no deep cuts on this record ffs)
21st Century Breakdown: 21st Century Breakdown/The Static Age/American Eulogy/Restless Heart Syndrome/Viva La Gloria!/Viva La Gloria? (couldn't pick one so I chose all of them)
Dos!: Makeout Party
Revolution Radio: None
Father of All Motherfuckers: Sugar Youth
Saviors: If they never play it, Corvette Summer. In case they play every single song, surely Living in the '20s is gonna be rarerity.

We're on the same page for some stuff! Holden is my 2nd fav from Kerplunk. RHS is indeed good. Sugar Youth too. And I love the addition of GSB, in fact I was thinking whether to add Stuck with Me as a deepcut

• Like 1

I found a rewritten American Idiot except now it's talking shit about Geometry Dash's developer. Pretty kickass I must say.

I had no idea it was him having a swearing-filled "FUCK YOU I SMASHED MY PHONE" outburst in the end of We're Coming Home Again.

• Like 1

I really love this verse from Youngblood:

I’m a rough boy ‘round the edges/Getting drunk and falling into hedges/She’s my weakness, fucking genius/Swear to god and I’m not even superstitious 

It’s just very genuine and cute and I like the wordplay at the end. I agree Youngblood isn’t brilliant or anything, but I think it’s a fun song. I love how sappy Billie gets when he writes love songs, it’s sweet.

• Like 4

HOLY FUCK I forgot 80 is Lebanese! Just completely snapped out of my mind and punched itself out of the grind that pushed it once too far again. This kind of fact will never stick with me!

9 hours ago, Montclare said:

I'm not a huge fan of Youngblood, but have always liked the line "she's the cedar in the trees of Minnesota", being a clever call to Adrienne (cedar tree being on the Lebanese flag, Adrienne being Lebanese and from Minnesota). One of those things only die hard fans will catch.

I'm not a huge fan of the song as well, but I like it and was always strung out on confusion road over the hatred of the song.

• Like 1