Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

4 minutes ago, BillieMyLove said:

Just watched this again and remembered how much I love it. Really goes to show that he did give some good performance during FOAM and really seemed to be having a great time. And he looks like dessert here. I love his outfit. 

I just saw this again too it was one of my favorite performances of that time they killed it. You can tell they know it too the way Billie smiles and they swagger off 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

This was a great FOAM performance too. They look like they are having a great time. This song sounds so much better live without the excessive falsetto than it does on the album.

2 hours ago, MillenniumFan said:

Today I was listening to the Foo Fighters' excellent studio live performance on SiriusXM and it made me think: As much as I like to complain about Green Day's lack of live material (live EPs/albums or DVDs) in recent years, in many ways we've actually been rather lucky. I say this because with Bullet In A Bible we got a truly great live album that properly incapsulates their live sound. Their performance was top notch, the mixing and mastering is excellent and though (rather annoyingly) slightly incomplete, the setlist is also fairly decent, all things considered. Yes, I'd probably give a kidney for another proper live album, recorded in a club or mid-sized venue and preferably featuring loads of deep cuts (either from the 90s or early 2000s or even later, such as the House Of Blues 2015 performance etc.), but it's still great to have absolutely stunning live recordings of songs like American Idiot, Jesus of Suburbia, Hitchin' A Ride, Holiday, Minority, Basket Case, Brain Stew etc. 

The reason I also say we're lucky is because many otherwise great live bands like the Foo Fighters have either no live album or some pro-produced material that is either badly mixed, recorded years after the band's peak or just features a very limited/odd selection of songs. The Foo Fighters are a great example of this. Staggeringly, they have no "normal" live album, just an acoustic live album from 2006, and two badly/weirdly mixed DVD performances from Hyde Park and Wembley Stadium, none of which fully incapsulate their live sound. Sure, those recordings are still a nice addition to their studio work, but anyone who has every seen the Foo Fighters live knows they'd deserve a proper live album. 

The mix of the SiriusXM performance from around 5 days ago actually represents the kind of heavy sound/mix that truly makes them shine. Great mix aside, they also sound the best they have in years! But all I can think about while listening to it is: "wow, that sounds really great, so why the hell did they never release a proper live album?"

Of course, the other thing I can't help but thinking is "man, I reeeaaally miss live shows!". And I know a lot of you must be feeling similar. 

So, here's to (hopefully) a better 2021 and let's all hope we can get into the pit again at some point ;)

So bizarre. Same but YT, just checking out some shows and am getting ready for some shows in Europe and watching some of my favorites bands and I went down a Foo Fighters rabbit hole that lasted for hours. 

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I just saw this again too it was one of my favorite performances of that time they killed it. You can tell they know it too the way Billie smiles and they swagger off 

I think there were some great performances around FOA.  I get people don’t like falsetto, fine, but don’t write off the whole performance because of it.  I think Billie has really perfected his falsetto on MM2020, not that it’s related of course, and I think we may hear more.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, jengd said:

I think there were some great performances around FOA.  I get people don’t like falsetto, fine, but don’t write off the whole performance because of it.  I think Billie has really perfected his falsetto on MM2020, not that it’s related of course, and I think we may hear more.

I wonder how people would have judged the falsetto vocal if they had heard Degenerate before FOA. He really hit the sweet spot there where it sounds soulful and funky and not silly

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I wonder how people would have judged the falsetto vocal if they had heard Degenerate before FOA. He really hit the sweet spot there where it sounds soulful and funky and not silly

Well I believe it’s quite hard to do well so it could just have taken a bit of time to get it quite right, I love it in Degenerate.

2 minutes ago, jengd said:

Well I believe it’s quite hard to do well so it could just have taken a bit of time to get it quite right, I love it in Degenerate.

Now we’re assuming he recorded Degenerate later because they released it later but we don’t even know if that’s the case which is interesting. He could just have chosen FOA because he thought it was a better album track for that project. They were likely the same session.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I think Degenerate is a better song than FOAM, but I just don't see a big difference in the falsetto. It sounds good in both imo.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jengd said:

I agree we’re lucky with BIAB, I also like AAF, and am surprised the Foo’s don’t have a live album but I have never looked as I was very disappointed in the Foo’s when I saw them live.  They had a big dull bit in the middle (as many bands do) and Dave Grohl was not great, lots of shouting more than singing.

Ah that sucks, could be that it was just a bad show or as always a matter of taste, I suppose. Either way, for those who do love the Foo Fighters live, the live material available doesn't properly cover the experience. 

4 hours ago, jengd said:

I agree we’re lucky with BIAB, I also like AAF, and am surprised the Foo’s don’t have a live album but I have never looked as I was very disappointed in the Foo’s when I saw them live.  They had a big dull bit in the middle (as many bands do) and Dave Grohl was not great, lots of shouting more than singing.

Foo does have a live album 

Oh Yeah is a song that can only be sang in front of a full length mirror and equipped with hairbrush in hand.

I never thought Billie's falsetto was bad, just different. I agree that he's just gotten better and better with it, though. I really like it when he does that high scream instead of the "Wa ha yeah!" on FOAM and when he goes from falsetto to sexy whisper on Degenerate. This boy has no right to be able to make us swoon so easily just by singing a few words!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

This is another great performance. They absolutely slay this. No one can say they don't look like they are having a great time here. Billie looks especially happy during Basket Case. I love how they brought that guy on stage and had him stage dive during Know Your Enemy. And you see some great examples of Billie working the crowd during Revolution Radio and Jesus of Suburbia. Like we were discussing before, those people standing right in front of him probably feel like he is singing right to them, even if he is focusing on his perofrmance and the whole crowd. 

7 minutes ago, BillieMyLove said:

That's weird. It's the MTV World Stage show in Seville. 

I remember, they played Basket Case twice! It was awesome 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BillieMyLove said:

That's weird. It's the MTV World Stage show in Seville. 

Oh that’s a great show, have it downloaded on my sky box and watched it a few times!

• Like 1

On 2/10/2021 at 10:12 AM, BillieMyLove said:

Just watched this again and remembered how much I love it. Really goes to show that he did give some good performances during FOAM and really seemed to be having a great time. And he looks like dessert here. I love his outfit. 

I used some decent headphones and the backing vocal really freaked me out.   Was that one of the guys or just pre-taped?   Totally cool with it either way.     Oh and one more thing...

yee-haw.    

1 minute ago, That Dude said:

I used some decent headphones and the backing vocal really freaked me out.   Was that one of the guys or just pre-taped?   Totally cool with it either way.     Oh and one more thing...

yee-haw.    

"Yee-haw" was the best part. 🤣

7 minutes ago, BillieMyLove said:

"Yee-haw" was the best part. 🤣

The new hey-oh?   

In conjunction with the release of a pop-country album by the last gang in town?   

Yee-Haw.  

• Haha 1

Mum: what are we going to watch for an hour?

Me: whatever you want

Mum: let's watch this (clicks onto the MTV Seville gig)

Dad: we only watched it three hours ago (partially)

Me: I'll ask you again what year each song comes from and you'll still get it wrong

We must have seen the MTV gig at least 12 times since recording it when it was broadcast on the showcase channel in November. Whilst watching it tonight we talked about the constant guitar changes, what a peddle does, Tre setting fire to the drums, and the pranks on support acts. 

• Like 3

• Liam unpinned this topic