Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

3 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

Here’s one from before libraries closed:

My local library keeps a display of CDs in the music section and I like to look at the stuff they put up. You can read through the booklets and I’m curious what music they choose to put there.

One time, I noticed there was a CD by a local band named De Profundis. De Profundis is the name of a book by Oscar Wilde - it’s a collection of letters he wrote to his lover why he was imprisoned for homosexuality. A local queer band!!! My excitement went down considerably when I realized that de profundis is also a psalm and the CD was actually Christian rock. Oh well, a bit different from what I got myself hyped for, but something new for me for sure haha.

The next time I went there, there was God’s Favorite Band among the CDs on the display. Ever since, I’ve been wondering... did the librarian responsible for the CD rack assume GFB was a Christian rock record? It certainly looks like it, considering they put it right next to my totally-not-gay record. I wonder if someone who actually likes christian music accidentally got Green Day-ed.

Swear to God I'm so fucking superstitious

7 minutes ago, Green Day In Seattle said:

Funny you mention libraries, @Beerjeezus, because one of my local libraries is where I first saw Stop Drop and Roll!!! by FBHT. I think I knew it was a GD thing, but I'd never heard it before. I immediately checked it out and took it home to burn a copy for myself, which I still have. :lol: It's neat what kinds of Green Day stuff you can find "At the Library." :ga:

Was there someone "looking at you"?

2 minutes ago, Green Day In Seattle said:

Not to bring things down, but reading "Nobody Likes You" is making me feel this weird sort of melancholy ache I can't quite describe that makes me want to cry. Reading about all of GD's past and seeing all those pictures and stuff just really amplifies the reality of the past. Those times are over. They are never going to happen again. The GD boys will never be that young again. I never got to experience those eras and I never will know what that was like.

I do love reading the book and am really enjoying it, but there's still this feeling that hangs onto me every time I do. I just wanted to express that here because if anyone else would understand what I mean, it would be all of you and it also feels better to not just be sitting alone with it myself. I don't know. Sorry if this was a mood killer. I really needed to get it out.

I do know that Green Day is still as amazing as ever and the boys are still the wonderful, beautiful people they've always been and nothing will change that. But there's still that longing feeling for what was that I can't shake. Even 21CB was over 10 years ago and that's when I first fell in love with Green Day.

I get it. Every fan has jumped on board during a different time and has that FOMO over something. I wish I’d been a bigger fan during the FBHT era for example or to see Billie on Broadway, but it just wasn’t the right time for me then (I had young kids and was busier, maybe others were too young or some other reason) I can’t change that. I’m glad to have experienced the things I have over the last 3-4 years and we’ll always have the music, videos and photos for the things that came before.

• Like 4

I get this too. It’s not that I’m not enjoying the present, but it just feels like there’s not that much happening and NLY really made me feel like the good old times in the 90’s were super exciting...

Plus the way that book describes Billie is very romanticized. Give me that movie :ga:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Green Day In Seattle said:

Not to bring things down, but reading "Nobody Likes You" is making me feel this weird sort of melancholy ache I can't quite describe that makes me want to cry. Reading about all of GD's past and seeing all those pictures and stuff just really amplifies the reality of the past. Those times are over. They are never going to happen again. The GD boys will never be that young again. I never got to experience those eras and I never will know what that was like.

I do love reading the book and am really enjoying it, but there's still this feeling that hangs onto me every time I do. I just wanted to express that here because if anyone else would understand what I mean, it would be all of you and it also feels better to not just be sitting alone with it myself. I don't know. Sorry if this was a mood killer. I really needed to get it out.

I do know that Green Day is still as amazing as ever and the boys are still the wonderful, beautiful people they've always been and nothing will change that. But there's still that longing feeling for what was that I can't shake. Even 21CB was over 10 years ago and that's when I first fell in love with Green Day.

No, I know what you mean and I'm glad you've said it because I've been feeling this way too. It's not exactly the eras I didn't experience that I think about, but I often find myself longing for the past eras I did experience and then I go down a rabbit hole of nostalgia where I end up all emotional. It still feels like 21st Century Breakdown was a few years ago. Even the trilogy was nearly eight years ago and I still think of that as a recent era. It's weird to realise it's not. Things were very different even then though and it's not that things are worse now, but yeah, they're just... different. It's hard to explain.

Anyway, I don't think it's a mood killer. It's an interesting topic.

• Like 3

I just randomly remembered that @Beerjeezus told me that the intro of Dirty Rotten Bastards sounded like a rip of the Toreador song from Carmen. I just tried to sing the chorus of the Toreador song (in English!) to remind me of the tune and boy, it sounded very strange when sung in English... even though English is my first language, haha never trying that again...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/16/2020 at 10:24 AM, kaylubd said:

I've found copies of FOAM and Uno at my local library. Even though I own them, I always pick them up, give em a little "hell yeah," and put them back :lol:

I always browse for Green Day cds or dvds when I go to a record store.   The coolest thing I've ever come across are the copies of Dookie with Ernie on the back.    I thought it was the find of a lifetime, but they are worthless.   Now when I go, I take one out, look at it.   And then continue looking for the new releases that don't exist anymore.   

Libraries are cool places!  Green Day has a song about being at one, which automatically makes them cool.    

But there are tons of secondary nice things about them.     All the free stuff.   I feel like a criminal every time I walk out with a stack of book, movies and music.   and comics.   And now seeds. 

And I've never took it to the limit because the limit itself is insane at my local library:  

50 books

10 each of adult and juvenile audiobooks, DVDs, magazines, and music CDs

4 Playaway®s and/or Vox Books

2 each of Playaway Launchpad®s, and Quik Kits

Anyway.   Long story short, I do the same thing when I see Green Day related stuff.   It's always fun when you find obscene things at the library.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

The Green Day fandom has created its own version of “is this loss?” with Billie Joe’s name. It’s like you see something like “blueberry jam” and have to do a double take.

• Like 2

Well, I finished Nobody Likes You today. On to American Idiots and the New Punk Explosion. I'm expecting it to be similar since it was published in 2006 as well, but we'll see. The first 5 or so pages are a history of the Bay Area and Rodeo starting from the late 1700s when it was settled by white people. Interesting way to start, I guess.

Over half a million views and not one comment, nothing about his age, his hair!  Is it just me who is slightly freaked out by that!? 😂😂

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, jengd said:

Over half a million views and not one comment, nothing about his age, his hair!  Is it just me who is slightly freaked out by that!? 😂😂

I think it has to do with the youtube channel as none of the other videos have comments

Oh never thought of that, I guess they can disable comments, it just seems really odd compared to every other video of Billie Joe 😂😂

15 hours ago, jengd said:

What about his name? Billy with a y? Blasphemous!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

When you drink whiskey and then do yeyo, your body will mix the two into one molecule

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocaethylene

😧 What on earth prompted you to look that up?

"it also carries an 18 to 25 fold increase over cocaine alone in risk of immediate death"  🥺  Seriously sometimes if I wasn't so afraid of him dying I'd kill him myself 🙄

• Sad 3

12 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

😧 What on earth prompted you to look that up?

"it also carries an 18 to 25 fold increase over cocaine alone in risk of immediate death"  🥺 

I randomly saw it as a TIL post somewhere  (tumblr? I think) and thought it was a fascinating science tidbit, a second later, my dumb brain went “a green day song reference!!!” :shy:

I guess the take home message is it’s dangerous to mix the two, even though Sugar Youth is a banger :lol:

• Like 2

That is really interesting. I'm guessing that "immediate death" is caused by the heart stopping due to cocaethylene having an even higher cardiotoxicity than cocaine alone. Someone please tell Billie not to ever do this.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Green Day In Seattle said:

That is really interesting. I'm guessing that "immediate death" is caused by the heart stopping due to cocaethylene having an even higher cardiotoxicity than cocaine alone. Someone please tell Billie not to ever do this.

It’s probably way too late but I’m hoping the Youth part in the title references the past as in not any more

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

I'm probably really late but I've just realized that the little solo after:

Like refugees
We're lost like refugees
Like refugees
We're lost like refugees
The brutality of reality
Is the freedom that keeps me from

in Before The Lobotomy is the same as in Oh Love. That's all.

:o

• Like 1

• Liam unpinned this topic