Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

I noticed that the other Green Day album covers are detailed and I don't know but I feel like revolution radio is just a picture not like dookie, american idiot, shenanigans, 21st century breakdown, and insomniac. I guess I;m just not into revolution radio's cover.

American Idiot is not that detailed. It has a cool picture of a heart hand grenade being squeezed. RevRad has a flaming radio, they are both pretty basic. Tbh all of the albums are extremely basic with the exception of Dookie and Insomniac. RevRad is quite detailed on the inside though, which others aside from Dookie, Nimrod and Warning are really not, so there's that.

4 hours ago, FallingFromTheStars said:

I disagree. It has some things that are injected from his own life, like Wake Me Up When September ends and perhaps Whatsername, but it's different from his own life.

Jesus of Suburbia is a loner, Billie Joe always had Mike.

If you watch Heart Like a Hand granade Billie talks about how it's based on his life experiences. When he was young he wanted to get out of his small town so badly, like Jesus of Suburbia, he had several girlfriends that Whatshername was based on. His drug/alcohol demons (St. Jimmy), WMUWSE. It's not "literally" his life word for word but a lot of it followed his life to a degree. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, unextraordinarygirl said:

If you watch Heart Like a Hand granade Billie talks about how it's based on his life experiences. When he was young he wanted to get out of his small town so badly, like Jesus of Suburbia, he had several girlfriends that Whatshername was based on. His drug/alcohol demons (St. Jimmy), WMUWSE. It's not "literally" his life word for word but a lot of it followed his life to a degree. 

Yeah, to a degree. Not enough to say it's Billie himself.

4 hours ago, FallingFromTheStars said:

Yeah, to a degree. Not enough to say it's Billie himself.

The whole thing is based on his own experiences so I really think it is him. It's him telling the story of his youth. But it can be both, it's a character as well, just a character based on him.

What aspects of the character/story on the album do you think aren't Billie? Thinking about it I actually can't think of anything that doesn't fit with it being him. Also I don't think it says he doesn't have friends anywhere on the album, and having a friend doesn't mean you can't feel like a loner/outcast - Billie's said he (and Mike) felt that way when they were younger many times.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hermione said:

The whole thing is based on his own experiences so I really think it is him. It's him telling the story of his youth. But it can be both, it's a character as well, just a character based on him.

What aspects of the character/story on the album do you think aren't Billie? Thinking about it I actually can't think of anything that doesn't fit with it being him. Also I don't think it says he doesn't have friends anywhere on the album, and having a friend doesn't mean you can't feel like a loner/outcast - Billie's said he (and Mike) felt that way when they were younger many times.

This will go on forever unless we just agree to disagree.

59 minutes ago, FallingFromTheStars said:

This will go on forever unless we just agree to disagree.

Just thought it was interesting and was curious about your take on the differences between Billie and the character, but that's fine.

Opps he talks about it on "Broadway Idiot" not "Heart Like A Hand Granade." My Bad. So watch "Broadway Idiot" and he talks about AI and his life.

21 hours ago, Hermione said:

Just thought it was interesting and was curious about your take on the differences between Billie and the character, but that's fine.

And I'd like to tell you, but this isn't my first forum...I know how these things go.

Just now, FallingFromTheStars said:

And I'd like to tell you, but this isn't my first forum...I know how these things go.

I don't want to try and force you :lol:, but having a discussion about music is totally fine here (encouraged in fact), and we don't tolerate people being dicks to each other over it. So I hope any time you do want to discuss something about GD you'll feel free to, I always find it enjoyable.

• Like 2

At uni today we started talking about music/instruments etc before class. We all realised that we used to play bass. I said that it was mostly GD stuff I used to play, Longview being my favourite song to play. Guy in my class asked what that went like again and my lecturer said it was a great line and started humming the tune :lol: totally made my day!

I've noticed that Dad always watches the same GD music videos- he's watched the long version of WMUWSE so many times he knows all of the words during the talking parts of the video! And he's seen Basketcase, Time of Your Life, BOBD, and AI a load of times. So I've slipped him a small list of videos to start off with- WICA, Minority, Macy's Day Parade and Still Breathing.  He's seen footage of the Leeds gig (he was gutted not to go with me) but the sound wasn't too great on phone/camera footage on YouTube. Hopefully, he will like the songs I've told him to try.

• Like 1

Kerplunk is becoming my favorite Green Day record. It has the rawness that I love but it's also very mature with songs like Christie Road, No One Knows, and 80. And I feel Mike has his best performance on this entire album. Billie has some hard hitting guitar riffs on their too. I love how the Eb tuning makes it sound very dark at some points. Just an incredible classic punk record.

On 02/19/2017 at 11:35 PM, Hermione said:

Very well.

It doesn't say explicitly that he doesnt have friends, but you can gather it. The only friend he seems to have doesnt even seem to be in regular contact with him, thus the postcard (Rock and Roll Girlfriend). Whatsername even tells him nobody likes him and that theyre all out without him having fun. Now I realize she is a dark, pissed off character, but it seems rooted in truth. Almost all the songs on the album are about being alone. Its clear that he went to the city by himself. When Billie left for Oakland, he was not by himself. He was always around people.

Furthermore, reading the official picture book companion with Jesus's journals, it gives you this idea.

Billie also has a good relationship with his mom, Jesus definitely does not.

Billie is in a band, Jesus is not.

Even when you watch VH1 storytellers, he very much treats it as a fictional story with a fictional character.

Yes, it is based off of his experiences. But I disagree they are the same people.

Making Jesus his own person makes him more interesting IMO.

8 minutes ago, FallingFromTheStars said:

Very well.

It doesn't say explicitly that he doesnt have friends, but you can gather it. The only friend he seems to have doesnt even seem to be in regular contact with him, thus the postcard (Rock and Roll Girlfriend). Whatsername even tells him nobody likes him and that theyre all out without him having fun. Now I realize she is a dark, pissed off character, but it seems rooted in truth. Almost all the songs on the album are about being alone. Its clear that he went to the city by himself. When Billie left for Oakland, he was not by himself. He was always around people.

Furthermore, reading the official picture book companion with Jesus's journals, it gives you this idea.

Billie also has a good relationship with his mom, Jesus definitely does not.

Billie is in a band, Jesus is not.

Even when you watch VH1 storytellers, he very much treats it as a fictional story with a fictional character.

Yes, it is based off of his experiences. But I disagree they are the same people.

Making Jesus his own person makes him more interesting IMO.

While what I'm about to say isn't about Billie as I don't know him don't know his thoughts etc 

but people can be around a whole crowd and still feel like they're alone and by themselves 

• Like 1

Has anyone listened to the Waterloo Teeth songs that Jakob & Joey Armstrong posted about? I'm interested in opinions on it since it's the first band that both of Billie's sons are in. Definitely has a beach vibe which I don't know if I'm a fan of, but if Jakob is doing the vocals I'm impressed.

3 hours ago, Jake69 said:

Kerplunk is becoming my favorite Green Day record. It has the rawness that I love but it's also very mature with songs like Christie Road, No One Knows, and 80. And I feel Mike has his best performance on this entire album. Billie has some hard hitting guitar riffs on their too. I love how the Eb tuning makes it sound very dark at some points. Just an incredible classic punk record.

I absolutely second this! It has to be one of the greatest independent records of all time (and as far as I know, it's one of the best selling independents of all time!)

My favourite song off Kerplunk is probably 80. I just love everything about it - the bass line, lyrics, thunderous drumming, punchy guitar etc. I also really dig the opening riff for Android :lol:

• Like 1

I don't know what Green Day was thinking when they let "The Forgotten" be in Twilight. Still embarrassing.

• Like 1

Green Day is the only music-related love affair that I've carried from early adolescence into adulthood and it makes me so emotional :wub: In fairness, the other music I adored as a teenager was mainly made by artists who are now dead or bands that are no more, but that's beside the point. Green Day will be with me forever.

• Like 2

• Hermione changed the title to Random Green Day Thoughts
  • Liam unpinned this topic