Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

19 hours ago, Lone said:

Was on my way out this evening and heard Still Breathing on the radio as well. Then on our way back, about an hour and a half later, the same station played it again. It's starting!

Aww, you're so lucky! I haven't heard any Irish stations play it so far. I know one station played Bang Bang about twice when it first came out, then a few others rotate Good Riddance/BOBD/21 Guns now and again. I'd love to hear more GD on the radio!!

13 hours ago, findsolaceinrock said:

So, my sister doesn't quite get why I like Green Day.

So, I showed her some of their live performances on YouTube. Seriously, some of her comments gave me life...

"Oh, come on, does that Billie Jean guy have to go "heeey-oh" every two minutes?"

"How many times in a day can those poor schmucks go "fuckin' crayyyzeeey"?"

"Oh, ok this King For A Day thing is like a weirdo ritual where they have to embarrass themselves in front of millions of people, huh?"

"That drummer has more facial expressions than I have in my entire life!"

"Can't quite figure out whether that Billie Jean guy is crying coz of the mascara in his eyes, or just sweating though his eyelids (which can't happen, and would be gross if it did, really)"

"Does this guy have blond or brown or black hair or what?'

"That bunny getup is kinda creepy, you know"

"Those guys should really try out for high jump in the olympics ..."

and so on...

Both of my brothers are the exact same, they just don't understand why I love this band with my entire life!!!!:happyhands:

3 hours ago, GenXIdiot said:

So random, but I was listening to "X Kid", my favorite from the Trilogy and thought how perfect that song would have been on Revolution Radio, with that mixing, engineering, and in the thematic context of Revolution. It's just a great song and it got lost in the incoherent, underproduced jumble of the Trilogy. It would have fit perfectly on Revolution Radio. Just my opinion.

I totally agree! It reminds me of Outlaws in the sense that they're both about youth and past memories. Rev Rad's production would be fabulous for this song!!!

• Like 2

Not sure what to think.  Just found out that hubby's ex-boss, the one that used to tease him about us being Green Day fans, went to the show at the Aragon in Chicago.  (Wondering if he was looking for us?)  Took his teenaged son, who we knew was a closet Green Day fan, and never told his dad.  Interesting turn of events.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GenXIdiot said:

So random, but I was listening to "X Kid", my favorite from the Trilogy and thought how perfect that song would have been on Revolution Radio, with that mixing, engineering, and in the thematic context of Revolution. It's just a great song and it got lost in the incoherent, underproduced jumble of the Trilogy. It would have fit perfectly on Revolution Radio. Just my opinion.

Agreed and I would love to hear stay the night with revrad production, just imagine those beefy guitars

• Like 4

Why don't they play Murder City live anymore? :( 

On 11/13/2016 at 6:57 PM, JOE THE X-KID said:

Agreed and I would love to hear stay the night with revrad production, just imagine those beefy guitars

Eargasm. That'd be pure ear sex tbh. 

• Like 2

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 7:02 PM, GenXIdiot said:

So where would you place X Kid on Rev Rad? I'd place it in between Say Goodbye and Outlaws.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wretched & Divine said:

I swear I could listen to the bass of When I Come Around for hours :woot: I've never paid as much attention to it as I am on my headphones right now and I'm swooning so much. Mike Dirnt appreciation post.

So fun to play:lol:. I always focus on the bass. The first time I heard Outlaws I was like "wow, I could never expect that from you, Mike". As I said, that bass line is very easy, but the way he plays it... Fantastic.

43 minutes ago, Whatsername_123 said:

So where would you place X Kid on Rev Rad? I'd place it in between Say Goodbye and Outlaws.

IMO between Too Dumb to Die and Troubled Times. It's like a gradual decrease of BPM from TDTD to TT :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, End Of The World said:

So fun to play:lol:. I always focus on the bass. The first time I heard Outlaws I was like "wow, I could never expect that from you, Mike". As I said, that bass line is very easy, but the way he plays it... Fantastic.

IMO between Too Dumb to Die and Troubled Times. It's like a gradual decrease of BPM from TDTD to TT :)

Is bass easier to learn than guitar? I'd really like to learn one!

10 hours ago, Wretched & Divine said:

My grandparents got me one in early high school but I never learned it. =/ I figured out Brain Stew pretty easily, but that was the extent of my use.

11 hours ago, Wretched & Divine said:

I'm a guitar player who knows a few basslines and I'd recommend learning at least some, if nothing else it makes you a better guitar player.

• Like 2

I keep hoping something gets added for Cleveland next spring when there is an open date between Detroit and Pittsburgh. Our date on the Triolgy tour was cancelled and never rescheduled (for obvious reasons), which means aside from the "secret" last minute Rock Hall show that was pretty exclusive, it's been ages since Cleveland got a show. I looked and our only large arena in town is already booked. It would be amazing if they did something else though, an event at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame or an instore or something...it's nice to dream :happyhands:

• Like 1

The recording of American Idiot from Awesome As Fuck (in Montreal) came on my iPod for the first time in ages and I couldn't get over how fast it was :lol:

Also instrumentals are everything. The Give Me Novacaine one is so good.

I forgot John Kiffmeyer's name yesterday. :lol: Could not for the life of me remember it, ended up having to google it.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Zelda said:

I forgot John Kiffmeyer's name yesterday. :lol: Could not for the life of me remember it, ended up having to google it.

Lol. I used to be confused when they said Al Sobrante used to be Green Day's drummer before Kerplunk and I was like "But what about John Kiffmeyer?" :lol:

Also, I'd really love it if they'd play No Pride during the tour.

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 6:22 AM, Wretched & Divine said:

Oh, great question. :happy:

Bass isn't simple. It's not like "you have to play just one note". It's more difficult than that.

Strings are thicker and the distance between frets is higher, so you need a good left hand trained to move up and down the neck.

The main difficulty that I found was in using the pick, because you have to develop a fluid movement of your wrist in order to maintain the same intensity in the sound.

I play the bass and I can tell you that, between all the instruments I learned to play (violin and drums), this is my favorite because you can feel the music inside your body.

So, go with the vibrations.;)

Edited by End Of The World
  • Like 4

Recently I thought a lot about one thing Billie said in one of those interviews lately, that he'd wish people wouldn't watch the live shows only through their phones making photos and videos all the time, but allowing more human contact instead. Because it's just so true. We think that we can preserve our memories only by taking lots of videos/photos, but it's not true. The only way to memorize a GD show - really memorize it, not only with your eyes, but with your heart and soul - is living the moment and being really aware of it.

I took so many videos at GD shows I went to, but I barely even look at them today (most of them are crap quality, too). Yeah, ok, maybe I don't remember every word of Billie's speeches without a video of it, but I surely remember how I felt in that moment. I have so many memories that are linked with emotions, no video in the world can offer that.

Of course I love watching live performances on youtube, so somehow I rely on other people still taking lots of videos :lol: But they will never replace the feeling of being there - not only seeing and hearing them, but feeling them. So I'm seriously considering to go to my three GD shows next year phone-less :)

• Like 1

It is a pain in the ass when someone is paying more attention to their phone than the show that is happening right in front of them, not realizing they are also obstructing the views of people around them. There's always tons of videos from most shows posted, it is great when Billie tells people to put there phones away and live in the moment! Take and make visual memories, can see pictures of them anywhere and any time.

• Like 1

I think the only time I understood the phone thing was I saw this girl at some small show (not GD) and she couldn't see the stage at all because she was rather short, so she basically used her phone as a periscope. Pretty ingenious IMO.

• Like 1

I really like to have a handful great pictures after show but that's enough. I personally take pictures when I don't like a song that much but even then only a few.

On 11/17/2016 at 4:14 AM, Libertine Angel said:

I'm a guitar player who knows a few basslines and I'd recommend learning at least some, if nothing else it makes you a better guitar player.

On 11/18/2016 at 2:29 AM, End Of The World said:

Oh, great question. :happy:

Bass isn't simple. It's not like "you have to play just one note". It's more difficult than that.

Strings are thicker and the distance between frets is higher, so you need a good left hand trained to move up and down the neck.

The main difficulty that I found was in using the pick, because you have to develop a fluid movement of your wrist in order to maintain the same intensity in the sound.

I play the bass and I can tell you that, between all the instruments I learned to play (violin and drums), this is my favorite because you can feel the music inside your body.

So, go with the vibrations.;)

Thank you for both of your input! I've now informed Santa I would like a bass for Christmas ;) In large part thanks to Mike/WICA, but I probably would've swayed towards guitar without the nudge in the other direction :happy:

• Like 2

I just noticed that in the Bang Bang music video on MTV, in the verse "give me death or give my head", the word "head" is sang a little bit later than the normal song.

It's like "give me death or give me... Head".:lol:

Same for SB in the verse "I'm like a junkie tying off for the last time", where you can hear just "...For the last time", like BJ voice was cut.:lol:

I think all this is just for MTV but I actually don't know.

I'm watching the Woodstock mud fight right now (you know, the one from 1994) and this kid ran on stage, hugged Billie, ran away, Billie ran after them, carried them back to the center of the stage, let them say something in the microphone and said as they ran away again "future idiot"...

he might have been right, that kid could have become an "idiot" 10 years later :D 

he also sang "I don't wanna be a mud hippie... like youuuu..." oh the foreshadowing :lol: 

• Like 2

This morning I heard RevRad on the radio on my way to uni and the bus driver kept turning the volume down till I could hear nothing... In my head I was just like man, what are you thinking, this is a special moment :angry::P

• Like 2

• Hermione changed the title to Random Green Day Thoughts
  • Liam unpinned this topic