Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

1 minute ago, Jane Lannister said:

I with he did something less embarrassing for his break. 

This.  If I have to see that cape and crown one more time I will freakin' scream.  

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

This.  If I have to see that cape and crown one more time I will freakin' scream.  

Same. No more of that, floor humping and all that dressing up. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Floor humping and dressing up etc is an integral part of a Green Day show though! They've always done it in some form or another and it's a laugh, seeing them having some unashamedly silly fun and deliberately pushing buttons by doing embarrassing or taboo things is one of the best things about their performances. I love that they still don't feel the need to "tone things down" or start taking themselves too seriously, I hope their shows continue to have silly and risque moments. If they just played the songs through without including some fun stuff they'd be like any other boring band.

I suppose I could tolerate them changing the song if they did something equally fabulous with it. But KFAD/Shout really is perfect for it, first because seeing a whole crowd singing along to a song about cross dressing and self acceptance is fantastic, second because Shout is good for allowing the other band members to sing , and third because they're both just fun songs that are great for getting the audience participating. My number one hope for the next tour is definitely that they keep it :lol:, they can change anything else they want first.

I agree that they need to do some fun stuff.  However, doing the same thing, that is supposed to be funny, over and over again for years gets boring and cringeworthy.  Thing about someone telling a joke, the first time it is funny, the 10th time it just gets stupid.  They can do the same type of thing, but come up with something different and use a different song.  I think Dirty Rotten Bastards would work.  

Plus, to be honest, he stole the whole cape thing from James Brown, who stole it from Little Richard.      

• Like 1

Just now, JJ1964 said:

I agree that they need to do some fun stuff.  However, doing the same thing, that is supposed to be funny, over and over again for years gets boring and cringeworthy.  Thing about someone telling a joke, the first time it is funny, the 10th time it just gets stupid.  They can do the same type of thing, but come up with something different and use a different song.  I think Dirty Rotten Bastards would work.  

Plus, to be honest, he stole the whole cape thing from James Brown, who stole it from Little Richard.      

I think that's the effect of having so much access to videos of it. Like any other part of the show that they repeat it isn't designed to be seen over and over, just (for the vast majority of people) at one or maybe two shows on a tour. Unlike most of their song's performances they do add and change quite a lot of stuff (eg having other band members singing a part of it, varying the costumes, singing different covers and adding in all kinds of different antics), which means if anything you're more likely to be surprised by something during that song than most, and when they play it they still seem extremely into it so it still feels energetic and fresh at a show. I wouldn't mind seeing Dirty Rotten Bastards as an alternative though! Could definitely work. Or they could even go old school and do the long and silly antic filled version of Paper Lanterns they used to do.

I think he got it from Freddy Mercury (who probably got it from them :lol:)

95023ad661c889330b9102e3a0d2a025.jpg

I'd call it a tribute rather than a theft :P 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hermione said:

I think that's the effect of having so much access to videos of it. Like any other part of the show that they repeat it isn't designed to be seen over and over, just (for the vast majority of people) at one or maybe two shows on a tour. Unlike most of their song's performances they do add and change quite a lot of stuff (eg having other band members singing a part of it, varying the costumes, singing different covers and adding in all kinds of different antics), which means if anything you're more likely to be surprised by something during that song than most, and when they play it they still seem extremely into it so it still feels energetic and fresh at a show. I wouldn't mind seeing Dirty Rotten Bastards as an alternative though! Could definitely work. Or they could even go old school and do the long and silly antic filled version of Paper Lanterns they used to do.

I think he got it from Freddy Mercury (who probably got it from them :lol:)

I'd call it a tribute rather than a theft :P 

Freddie Mercury got it from James Brown who got it from Little Richard.  As a side note, when Little Richard was popular, there was not the access to TV or videos, obviously.  What the record company did was hire James Brown to pretend to be Little Richard.  They would have LIttle Richard touring and then James Brown touring as Little Richard.  That is where James Brown got the cape thing.  

We will have to agree to disagree.  No matter what little pieces you change, it is still the same old tired thing.  The fact that there are videos of it are a result of the times.  All bands have this issue and they have to adjust accordingly.  The song is stale.

I have to disagree 10,000% (if there was a thing as 10,000% :lol:) on Paper Lanterns.  I think the worst thing they can do is go back to something that was tired, old and overplayed and bring it back.  They need to move forward and show more creativity.  Going back to KFAD and Paper Lanterns can give the impression that they can't come up with something creative again.          

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

Freddie Mercury got it from James Brown who got it from Little Richard.  As a side note, when Little Richard was popular, there was not the access to TV or videos, obviously.  What the record company did was hire James Brown to pretend to be Little Richard.  They would have LIttle Richard touring and then James Brown touring as Little Richard.  That is where James Brown got the cape thing.  

We will have to agree to disagree.  No matter what little pieces you change, it is still the same old tired thing.  The fact that there are videos of it are a result of the times.  All bands have this issue and they have to adjust accordingly.  The song is stale.

I have to disagree 10,000% (if there was a thing as 10,000% :lol:) on Paper Lanterns.  I think the worst thing they can do is go back to something that was tired, old and overplayed and bring it back.  They need to move forward and show more creativity.  Going back to KFAD and Paper Lanterns can give the impression that they can't come up with something creative again.          

Oh well maybe not as a regular part of the setlist then, but I wouldn't mind seeing a performance of Paper Lanterns with some water throwing, putting on random clothes and sarcastic call and response some time :lol:. I'd prefer Dirty Rotten Bastards as a KFAD replacement as well (if god forbid one was needed :P). I put KFAD up there with the rest of their classic staples and traditions that are preserved through setlist changes, I don't expect them to keep every song forever but like Good Riddance it's enough of a cornerstone of the show that I'd prefer for it to be kept.

11 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Oh well maybe not as a regular part of the setlist then, but I wouldn't mind seeing a performance of Paper Lanterns with some water throwing, putting on random clothes and sarcastic call and response some time :lol:. I'd prefer Dirty Rotten Bastards as a KFAD replacement as well (if god forbid one was needed :P). I put KFAD up there with the rest of their classic staples and traditions that are preserved through setlist changes, I don't expect them to keep every song forever but like Good Riddance it's enough of a cornerstone of the show that I'd prefer for it to be kept.

See I want Good Riddance replaced as well.  I would love to see the acoustic version of Stay the Night as a new closer.  I still believe if they do the same things over and over again, they get stale.  For any artist, not just GD

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

See I want Good Riddance replaced as well.  I would love to see the acoustic version of Stay the Night as a new closer.  I still believe if they do the same things over and over again, they get stale.  For any artist, not just GD

I agree, even though I still like Good Riddance. Acoustic version of STN, Macy's Day Parade or Whatsername would be great or Brutal Love...If they should bring back anything, it's the acoustic encore. Not just the one last song but more of them with more variety. I remember how exciting it was when he played songs like Redundant, Words I Might Have Ate, 80 or Christie road. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Second favourite son said:

Ohh I love that song!  I've never thought of it as a version of Stray Heart before, they're rhythmically so similar though.  To my ear, the notes are completely different but the rhythm is almost, if not completely, identical.  I like both haha, but I don't really think of them as the same song.  I'd love another bouncy bass line song on the new album actually, they're some of the band's best.

Play the Mother Mary 7" single at 33rpm, it makes it painfully obvious :P

As to the KFAD discussion, I want them to do it at least one more time because the only times I've seen it were arena gigs where I was really far away and I want to be in the pit for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jane Lannister said:

I agree, even though I still like Good Riddance. Acoustic version of STN, Macy's Day Parade or Whatsername would be great or Brutal Love...If they should bring back anything, it's the acoustic encore. Not just the one last song but more of them with more variety. I remember how exciting it was when he played songs like Redundant, Words I Might Have Ate, 80 or Christie road. 

I still think the acoustic encore should be Billie Joe at a piano!! Brutal love, The forgotten, Gloria, anything. He plays more musically than Jason, any way (sorry, just my professional opinion...Billie Joe gets a nicer sound out of the instrument, he's a natural) :)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Libertine Angel said:

Play the Mother Mary 7" single at 33rpm, it makes it painfully obvious :P

I still disagree :P  the rhythm, yeah, but the tune, I just don't see it.  Stray heart could have been inspired by mother Mary, but they just don't sound like the same song to me.  Maybe I'm deaf 

1 hour ago, GenXIdiot said:

I still think the acoustic encore should be Billie Joe at a piano!! Brutal love, The forgotten, Gloria, anything. He plays more musically than Jason, any way (sorry, just my professional opinion...Billie Joe gets a nicer sound out of the instrument, he's a natural) :)

I agree 100%.  There's no reason why he shouldn't play piano at shows when he can do it. Moreover, I'm a sucker for piano songs. I find it interesting that you have so much praise for his playing. I'm not sure who plays on the 21CB record but they do have a nice sound  (as long as I can judge lol).

12 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

I agree 100%.  There's no reason why he shouldn't play piano at shows when he can do it. Moreover, I'm a sucker for piano songs. I find it interesting that you have so much praise for his playing. I'm not sure who plays on the 21CB record but they do have a nice sound  (as long as I can judge lol).

Both Billie Joe and Jason are credited for piano on the album; however I think some of the main piano is Billie Joe, because there are those Youtube videos of him playing a couple of songs on the piano for his dog, and he plays them really well, they sound just like the record.  He just naturally pulls the sound out and does nice voicing without even knowing what he's doing because he's a natural.  He  doesn't play anything fancy or fast because he probably never practices. When I watch the live versions of the same songs, with Jason playing, they don't sound as good to me.  Like the piano stuff they added to 21 Guns, I always hear that on a video and think, Billie Joe would play that nicer. :) I hope for at least one new piano ballad on the new record!!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

During the 21st promo he told Guitar World he couldn't play piano and sing at the same time but then that was in 2009 so who knows if that's still true 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

During the 21st promo he told Guitar World he couldn't play piano and sing at the same time but then that was in 2009 so who knows if that's still true 

Explains a lot. He'd better learn it so he doesn't have to tour with a dog. :P

• Like 1

Least I got everyone talking - but I hope that the setlist is fresh & new - KFAD is so stale.  

6 hours ago, Libertine Angel said:

As to the KFAD discussion, I want them to do it at least one more time because the only times I've seen it were arena gigs where I was really far away and I want to be in the pit for it.

I felt everyone in the pit lots enthusiasm - they were just biding time until it finished - we have seen it so many times.  

If I keep posting no KFAD in the setlist - perhaps they will notice:)

• Like 1

Perhaps if they cut KFAD from the set people will start referring to a GD concert rather than a GD show. :ga:

I would love it if they played The Forgotten at their shows. Seeing Billie sitting at the piano playing it reminds me of Paul McCartney playing Let It Be. That's the song it sounds like to me.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BillyjoelxkidXx said:

If I keep posting no KFAD in the setlist - perhaps they will notice:)

You're not their favorite fan though so I'm afraid it won't work :cry:

• Like 3

7 hours ago, BillyjoelxkidXx said:

Perhaps if they cut KFAD from the set people will start referring to a GD concert rather than a GD show. :ga:

According to Daniel Webster a show and concert are the same thing

1 hour ago, Jane Lannister said:

You're not their favorite fan though so I'm afraid it won't work :cry:

You are such a smart young lady.

1 hour ago, JJ1964 said:

According to Daniel Webster a show and concert are the same thing

You are such a smart young lady.

Thanks, I learn quickly 

• Like 2

Sorry to double post, however I've been thinking about KFAD more and I must admit it has a nice message to it that sort of makes it important. It's a part of what makes them less of a typical band. Most big rock bands spend a lot of time trying to be as macho as possible, while they do all these antics to a song about cross dressing. Look at some of the videos of it with chubby bj stripping off to the leopard thong. it is a pretty epic example of what body positivity looks like.

even though I'm not a fan of kfad I admire that they have the courage to do all this and make fun of themselves. It gets pretty embarrassing sometimes, but if they can pull this off onstage, anybody can do whatever they dare. That's what the song is about so the antics make more sense there than in Paper Lanterns or DRB. I'd be more annoyed with it if they pulled weird shit during a song about something else.

• Like 3

If Billie gets more piano time that means more saxophone time from Freese right? I'm cool with that. 

• Like 3

• Hermione changed the title to Random Green Day Thoughts
  • Hermione pinned this topic
  • Liam unpinned this topic