The Trilogy is massively underrated

dudley dawson

Yeah, that's the one thing I've always hated about AI. If Mike had actually been allowed to play anything but root notes everyone's heads would have imploded at the sheer brilliance of the album.

It's more than that really. If you just listen to the ordinary mix of the album, 320 kps, you can barely pick out the bass in the mix. It's buried under about 10 billion guitar lines. Even with the HD tracks and huge fuck off speakers you barely get any bass. Plus the only times the drums really stand out is when the layering is peeled back, like on EG, the start of GMN, etc.

• Replies 819
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's more than that really. If you just listen to the ordinary mix of the album, 320 kps, you can barely pick out the bass in the mix. It's buried under about 10 billion guitar lines. Even with the HD tracks and huge fuck off speakers you barely get any bass. Plus the only times the drums really stand out is when the layering is peeled back, like on EG, the start of GMN, etc.

True. It being squashed to buggery didn't help, but the only way I've managed to hear some phat bass is by listening to the HD Tracks version through Beats headphones. Which says a lot. It's mixed well for the style, I just wish it breathed a bit more. It was the in thing at the time, you only have to listen to how dead the bass sounds on RHCP's By The Way to see how little rock bands cared about bass around that time. But the low end of AI is positively thumping compared to The Black Parade...

True. It being squashed to buggery didn't help, but the only way I've managed to hear some phat bass is by listening to the HD Tracks version through Beats headphones. Which says a lot. It's mixed well for the style, I just wish it breathed a bit more. It was the in thing at the time, you only have to listen to how dead the bass sounds on RHCP's By The Way to see how little rock bands cared about bass around that time. But the low end of AI is positively thumping compared to The Black Parade...

It's seriously the only problem I have with AI, and I kinda hope that they do release a new mix of the album, like Nirvana with In Utero. Even if it's another 10 years down the line it'd be amazing to hear. Kinda glad that bands have now realized that compression sounds like shit and that bass matters.

Can't say I've ever wanted to listen to TBP close enough to notice :P

It's seriously the only problem I have with AI, and I kinda hope that they do release a new mix of the album, like Nirvana with In Utero. Even if it's another 10 years down the line it'd be amazing to hear. Kinda glad that bands have now realized that compression sounds like shit and that bass matters.

Can't say I've ever wanted to listen to TBP close enough to notice :P

Yeah, it'd be nice. Mike's bass sound is the best I've ever heard in isolation, it's a shame it's so buried. I guess the overall mix does suit the "epic" vibe but as an audiophile it's never really excited me.

What vocal filter is everyone talking about when it comes to the trilogy? Can someone give me a full detail explaination :P

Also Besides lyrics these are the songs that I think had so much more potential if they were worked on longer.

UNO:

Fell for you- When I heard the preview I thought the song was going to be one of the best songs and then when I actually heard the last minute of it I was disappointed because of how fast it ended and there was nothing more special to it.

Oh Love- maybe if they added more guitar tracks or made it shorter or even made the bpm faster people would actually like the song :P

DOS

Baby Eyes: Besides it lyrics I feel the same way as fell for you It was a cool song but it just ended so fast maybe they could of added a bridge with an awesome solo.

Lady cobra: Same thing as Baby Eyes

TRE:

Little Boy Named Train: it's one of those songs that just seem like there kinda there. Like a filler.

Walk Away: it is a fantastic song but at points it gets to repetitive, maybe if they changed the chords more or put different lyrics.

The Forgotten: I'm sorry it's a beautiful instrumental and all, but this seems like such a cliché song. You can practically guess the next line if you have never heard it before. That's my reason for not caring for it idk what other peoples are. :P

Remember these are my opinions of songs that had the potential to be great but kinda flopped lmao what do you think? Anymore songs?

I don't agree that the trilogy is their best effort since Warning, as overplayed as it is I still think American Idiot deserves that title. But, I agree the trilogy is extremely underrated and didn't get the proper promotion it deserved.

What vocal filter is everyone talking about when it comes to the trilogy? Can someone give me a full detail explaination :P

It's the delay/reverb and distortion effect. It's most obvious on Nightlife. If you compare that to the totally clean vocals on She you'll hear the difference easily:

I don't agree that the trilogy is their best effort since Warning, as overplayed as it is I still think American Idiot deserves that title. But, I agree the trilogy is extremely underrated and didn't get the proper promotion it deserved.

Wait the Trilogy is overplayed??

I don't even think the Trilogy being underrated is linked to its lack of promotion. I mean, we've all heard the record here, and promotion doesn't change what it sounds like. I just don't think it's very good.

Wait the Trilogy is overplayed??

American Idiot. American Idiot is overplayed.

So those who don't like the trilogy but love 21stCB are complaining about not being able to hear the bass on 21stCB (due to compression/being over produced), yet don't give any credit to the trilogy for the bass coming through loud and clear? I rest my case lol.

So those who don't like the trilogy but love 21stCB are complaining about not being able to hear the bass on 21stCB (due to compression/being over produced), yet don't give any credit to the trilogy for the bass coming through loud and clear? I rest my case lol.

It's not much of a tradeoff to be able to hear the bass clearer on vastly inferior songs :happy:

It's not much of a tradeoff to be able to hear the bass clearer on vastly superior songs :happy:

Fixed!

Fixed!

If you honestly think that any song on the Trilogy is better than the worst song on AI then you probably need a hearing aid m8.

If you honestly think that any song on the Trilogy is better than the worst song on AI then you probably need a hearing aid m8.

I think Brutal Love beats Extraordinary Girl. Nuclear Family too.

I think Brutal Love beats Extraordinary Girl. Nuclear Family too.

Except "Brutal Love" isn't theirs and the lyrics to "Nuclear Family" suck balls.

Except "Brutal Love" isn't theirs and the lyrics to "Nuclear Family" suck balls.

I've heard the song that people were comping Brutal Love to, and honestly it's an overreaction. The hook is similar and the progression is too but they finish so differently and the lyrics off Brutal Love are fantastic, and not a ripoff. The music is not the focal point of the song.

Also I love all these stripped back youtube videos, weird to hear the songs like that. On Sweet 16 it genuinely sounds like they compressed his voice, I would be interested to hear that stripped back.

Lazy Bones is pretty good, though. I'd say it beats American Idiot's worse song.

I've heard the song that people were comping Brutal Love to, and honestly it's an overreaction. The hook is similar and the progression is too but they finish so differently and the lyrics off Brutal Love are fantastic, and not a ripoff. The music is not the focal point of the song.

Also I love all these stripped back youtube videos, weird to hear the songs like that. On Sweet 16 it genuinely sounds like they compressed his voice, I would be interested to hear that stripped back.

People aren't just comparing it to it, Sam Cooke is actually credited in the Tre album booklet as a writer because they deliberately used elements of his song.

I agree it's an overreaction though! Choosing to openly use an element of an existing song (and giving credit for it) isn't "ripping it off". Taking inspiration from or making a tribute to or building from something that went before is just another way of making music and it doesn't make it any less legitimate. Some amazing songs, films and pieces of art wouldn't exist without previous artists' work having been incorporated into them.

Not for me anyway.

Excuse me, IDGAF what album Nuclear Family is on, it's fucking excellent.

That drums/vocals "She" is probably the best thing I have ever heard in my entire life. Thanks, Trilogy thread :wub:

But but but... the bass :cry:

X-kid is better than a lot of the songs on American idiot. Please don't kill me, just that song means a lot to me.

Excuse me, IDGAF what album Nuclear Family is on, it's fucking excellent.

"Like a Chinese drama and conspiracy..."

"Like a Chinese drama and conspiracy..."

*shrug* It sounds good, which is more than can be said for the vast majority of the Trilogy. It's hardly "Where in the world's the forgotten, they're lost inside your memory." :P

Archived