The Trilogy is massively underrated

dudley dawson

And "A Little Boy Named Train". I'm surprised how can people forget about that monstrosity.

I don't really have a problem with it - sure, the lyrics are a bit simple at face-value, but as said above, it still has a deeper meaning. And it's a fun song.

• Replies 819
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really have a problem with it - sure, the lyrics are a bit simple at face-value, but as said above, it still has a deeper meaning. And it's a fun song.

Fun, buzt meaningless. And boring.

Fun, buzt meaningless. And boring.

Fair enough if you think it's boring or don't like it, but it isn't meaningless. Billie explained the meaning behind it here:

Tré! also has a song based on a person's life, which Armstrong was able to use for inspiration and reflexion: "Little Boy Named Train". Armstrong's son was a schoolmate in Berkeley with a boy who was being raised by two women. "One of the parents was born a hermaphrodite and [his parents] cut off the penis. His/her whole life, this person wanted to be acknowledged as a man. The parents wanted the child to not be identified as a boy or girl, and the child didn't really have a name - one week it's Tigger, another it's Train. Many years ago I wrote it down and I always wanted to write a song called "Little Boy Named Train" . It happened to someone else, but there's a part of me I was thinking about when I wrote it. There's a line: 'I'm always lost, I'll never change. Give me directions and I'm lost again.' Kind of autobiographical "

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I really wish there could've been more interviews where the band talked about Uno Dos and Tre's songs and their meanings. I think they'd get a lot more credit if that had happened.

Fair enough if you think it's boring or don't like it, but it isn't meaningless. Billie explained the meaning behind it here:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I really wish there could've been more interviews where the band talked about Uno Dos and Tre's songs and their meanings. I think they'd get a lot more credit if that had happened.

Just because a song is supposed to be based off a certain event or topic, that doesn't make it automatically good. It's still one of the most bland, by the numbers songs that Green Day have ever released. Worst of all, the message is so badly put across that it's impossible to tell what the song is about without the band literally telling you. That works for some bands who are heavy on metaphors and symbolism, but the lyrics to LBNT are just incredibly vague.

Just because a song is supposed to be based off a certain event or topic, that doesn't make it automatically good. It's still one of the most bland, by the numbers songs that Green Day have ever released. Worst of all, the message is so badly put across that it's impossible to tell what the song is about without the band literally telling you. That works for some bands who are heavy on metaphors and symbolism, but the lyrics to LBNT are just incredibly vague.

Oh yeah, whether it's good or the meaning is conveyed well or not is another matter. Just saying it has meaning (the accusation being that it doesn't).

Although on that subject I'd say the meaning, which is feeling directionless etc, is put across fairly well, the whole story about the boy was more just the inspiration for writing it so I don't think it matters that none of that is conveyed by the song.

I bring Green Day members to talk with you about the trilogy. They ask you what do you think about the trilogy and you go with "Guitar tone, vocal filters, recycled melodies and shoddy lyrics" ? Yup that conversation would end in 10 seconds.

I missed this somehow but how long can you possibly think your conversation about why AI is bad would last? "You guys sold out to be anti-bush" Yeah that would go over wonderfully

The idea that the Trilogy is good because it's catchy is an interesting one. If I want catchy I'll go listen to Carly Rae Jepsen. Catchy isn't what Green Day are good at. Personally I want something meaningful, with depth both musically and lyrically, with a lot of nuances that take a long time to figure out so I can enjoy decoding it over a period of time. This may sound weird but as soon as I crack a song in its entirety on a technical level it loses most of its appeal for me. Maybe that's why Dookie doesn't do much for me anymore.

Idk about that bit right there :P I'd say that no matter what they do they can put a catchy spin on literally anything.

Yes, the trilogy has catchy songs. But the reason it doesn't measure up to me is because they've done simple and catchy before on Kerplunk and Dookie, and they did it 1000x times better. Dookie and Kerplunk had lyrics and vocals that were so superior and that's the difference between good and bad for me

Idk about that bit right there :P I'd say that no matter what they do they can put a catchy spin on literally anything.

Yes, the trilogy has catchy songs. But the reason it doesn't measure up to me is because they've done simple and catchy before on Kerplunk and Dookie, and they did it 1000x times better. Dookie and Kerplunk had lyrics and vocals that were so superior and that's the difference between good and bad for me

I see what you mean, I just meant that in the sense of their catchy songs also being interesting lyrically and musically, as opposed to "traditionally" catchy like throwaway pop, y'know?

And State of Shock. Should've been on Uno - move Kill the DJ to Dos, take off Nightlife, replace Ashley with Hearts Collide and it'd be perfect.

But State of Shock borrowed it's hook from Scumbag, and the chorus lyrics were someone else's quote. So it would have just been more of the recycled stuff we already have

I see what you mean, I just meant that in the sense of their catchy songs also being interesting lyrically and musically, as opposed to "traditionally" catchy like throwaway pop, y'know?

Yeah I know what you mean, the catchiness is sort of a second thought with most of GD's music, because there is so much good there.

But State of Shock borrowed it's hook from Scumbag, and the chorus lyrics were someone else's quote. So it would have just been more of the recycled stuff we already have

So what? GD always recycles stuff from them and others on every album

So what? GD always recycles stuff from them and others on every album

But what's the point of releasing "new" stuff when it's not that new. I'd rather have Nightlife (even though I hate it) because it's genuine creativity and it adds something interesting to their catalog

But what's the point of releasing "new" stuff when it's not that new. I'd rather have Nightlife (even though I hate it) because it's genuine creativity and it adds something interesting to their catalog

Cause if done right it could be better than what they are recycling I'd rather listen to Warning than Picture Book and I'd all day listen to Jesus Of Suburbia than Children Of The Grave and I'd take Let Yourself Go over Maria personally

Cause if done right it could be better than what they are recycling I'd rather listen to Warning than Picture Book and I'd all day listen to Jesus Of Suburbia than Children Of The Grave and I'd take Let Yourself Go over Maria personally

I can see that, of course. But it's still not something you like to see become a habit, which it kind of did on the trilogy

I can see that, of course. But it's still not something you like to see become a habit, which it kind of did on the trilogy

Hopefully their next album will be a lot different you're right about that not something I hope they keep up

I don't have real issues with the trilogy they aren't meant to be serious drawn out songs these were songs meant to just rock out and have fun but I understand why people wouldn't like the trilogy they aren't my favorite albums but I enjoyed it I like more songs then I disliked so that's all that matters for me

I see what you're saying, but I don't mind a bit of reused stuff if the song's still good. The only time I've been at all irritated by a recycled riff is with Fell for You, which is the same as Church on Sunday (which I bloody love), which is the same as Sassafras Roots (which again, I bloody love). Fell for You just does it again with slightly less interesting lyrics.

I see what you're saying, but I don't mind a bit of reused stuff if the song's still good. The only time I've been at all irritated by a recycled riff is with Fell for You, which is the same as Church on Sunday (which I bloody love), which is the same as Sassafras Roots (which again, I bloody love). Fell for You just does it again with slightly less interesting lyrics.

You missed The Static Age :P

But all those songs are awesome anyway.

You missed The Static Age :P

But all those songs are awesome anyway.

I've seen it said a few times that Static Age is one of them as well, but personally I haven't heard the similarity.

I've seen it said a few times that Static Age is one of them as well, but personally I haven't heard the similarity.

The vocal melodies in the chorus are literally identical.

The vocal melodies in the chorus are literally identical.

Now that I think about it, you're absolutely right. I was only thinking of the guitar, I hadn't considered the vocals.

I do believe it's underrated, I also think a lot of people haven't given it a proper chance.

I still listen to the albums regularly, I think they're fantastic.

I feel like had it not been for bad circumstances, the trilogy could have been the biggest success of the bands career. With 37 songs, they could have had so many hits. I expected at least 3 or 4 from each album:

Let Yourself Go

Kill the DJ
Oh Love

Stay the Night

F(woo) Time

Stray Heart

Amy

Nightlife

X-Kid

The Forgotten

Missing You

99 Revolutions

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I still feel the trilogy holds up very well.

• 1 year later...

What most people forget about the trilogy is that Green Day finally made albums that were really fun to make and didn't have any barriers on them. They stripped their music down, making it way better than the overly produced 21stCB (my least favorite album). And honestly I think the trilogy sounds very similar to Nimrod, again where Green Day had fun because they could experiment and do what they want, which at the time people had the same opinion as the trilogy because it wasn't the "usual Green Day sound." 

Archived