The Trilogy is massively underrated

dudley dawson

• Replies 819
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never read so much shit. Excuse me!

Well that was a thoroughly thought out and brilliantly executed argument.

Agreed; to say the albums were underwhelming would be a massive understatement.

Ego and arrogance usually lead a band to believe their own hype and feel they have a trio of album in them; much as we love GD, come on, a trilogy?? They're a pop-punk act, who went more political and epic in the last decade and had success with it. But they are not diverse enough to put out a trilogy of albums where quality would keep up with quantity.

The three are supposedly different genres, but save for a few touches; and differing tempos, it is more or less the same album three times.

Yes, everyone has opinions, and for those who find quality in this I say great; for me it's folly, and worst of all - bland. A boring journey with barely enough truly quality tracks to make one album, let alone three.

Hey look it's an AI fanboy. This post made me lol.

Hey look, it's a post designed to bait people and get attention that has absolutely no counter-argument whatsoever. This post made me lol.

This is a Green Day fansite so you should probably get over the fact that most people like one of Green Day's two most popular albums. Also they didn't even mention AI. Don't be rude and antagonistic towards people for no reason please.

Well that was a thoroughly thought out and brilliantly executed argument.

I Know!

I love listening to "Oh Love" at high volume. I wasnt that into it when it first came out but I just love it now. I must have listened to it at least once every day this week, as for the complete 37 songs, I like most of the songs but I dont love that many of them, production could have been alot better and the lyrics are dodgy in places. A song like "Missing You" sounds great but the lyrics are weak and the song suffers massively because of it.

I think the hate of the Trilogy is massively overestimated. I think a few people on this forum decided right off the bat, probably around when Oh Love came out, that the Trilogy wasn't grandiose like 21CB and therefore not good enough. Oh Love was a good song IMO, but it wasn't what we expected, so the negative vibes immediately started spewing. Every subsequent decision or release by the band was overly scrutinized by this same group of forum members. Since these forum members were the more active ones, people came into threads seeing mass Trilogy hate and, taking it as the overwhelming opinion, just began to believe that it was bad. People, eager for rep and to be welcomed into GDC, decided to jump on the bandwagon of hate. Eventually they subconsciously started to hate it due to the negative vibes swirling around the forum. Now the Trilogy is hated and those original few haters constantly remind us why.

I remember first joining this forum when the announcements were coming out and live footage was leaking. People said Kill the DJ was the coolest thing Green Day has ever made. People loved Carpe Diem. Stay the Night was an instant GD classic. Lazy Bones was dark and emotional. 8th Ave Serenade was going to be "a huge hit." People really loved what they were hearing. But a small group of people on this forum made them feel bad about their music interests and started a train of hate. You people know who you are, and you should feel very sad about your lives. Take off your Bose headphones and shut off your FLAC player and mixing software and just enjoy music and go outside and make friends. That is all. #longliveunodostre

^I love Oh Love, don't own Bose headphones and have never listened to an FLAC file. Your move. :P

In all seriousness, I have no desire to make people feel bad about liking the Trilogy, but I myself *don't* like it, so of course debates as to its quality will happen when both sides are discussing it. I don't try to shame those who like The Forgotten, I just try to shame The Forgotten.

^I love Oh Love, don't own Bose headphones and have never listened to an FLAC file. Your move. :P

In all seriousness, I have no desire to make people feel bad about liking the Trilogy, but I myself *don't* like it, so of course debates as to its quality will happen when both sides are discussing it. I don't try to shame those who like The Forgotten, I just try to shame The Forgotten.

I didn't say you or anyone else tried actively to shame people. But when you feel like most of a forum hates what you like, it normally make you feel bad OR makes you think they are dumb.

I didn't say you or anyone else tried actively to shame people. But when you feel like most of a forum hates what you like, it normally make you feel bad OR makes you think they are dumb.

Not to sound callous, but how is that any of us Trilogy haters' problem? I can't change what I like and don't like just because someone else feels differently. If it makes them feel bad that I don't like what they like...well, I'm sorry, but the reality is that's how different opinions regarding art work and I can't make myself like the Trilogy just to please everyone. Liking what I like and disliking what I dislike makes me who I am, and I think I'd be living far more of a "sad life", as you put it, if I tailored my opinions on those things to what makes everyone happy.

Personally I like the trilogy tho I understand why people don't like it as well...

Not to sound callous, but how is that any of us Trilogy haters' problem? I can't change what I like and don't like just because someone else feels differently. If it makes them feel bad that I don't like what they like...well, I'm sorry, but the reality is that's how different opinions regarding art work and I can't make myself like the Trilogy just to please everyone. Liking what I like and disliking what I dislike makes me who I am, and I think I'd be living far more of a "sad life", as you put it, if I tailored my opinions on those things to what makes everyone happy.

You have the right to like or dislike whatever you want. My point is that most people tailored their opinion of the trilogy to avoid the hate, to fit in on the forum, to obtain rep, or to look intelligent. I don't remember your initial stance on the Trilogy, or if you had one, so I can't say if you are one of said people.

You have the right to like or dislike whatever you want. My point is that most people tailored their opinion of the trilogy to avoid the hate, to fit in on the forum, to obtain rep, or to look intelligent. I don't remember your initial stance on the Trilogy, or if you had one, so I can't say if you are one of said people.

I've always pretty firmly disliked it. Oh Love got me pumped, but Kill the DJ had me wary and then the whole house of cards came crashing down with the actual albums.

I'm curious, which people are you talking about here? The most prominent Trilogy haters here are Tom, Ceadog, Zack, Nick and me, and I'm rather sure we've all been that way from the beginning.

Yeah, people couldn't possibly have formed their own opinions on it and are tailoring it to fit in with people on the internet. Give me a break, that's absurd. And if it is indeed such a minority, why are you now claiming it's "most people" anyway?

I actually did quite like the Trilogy when it came out. I then came back here, saw other opinions on it, and I changed my mind on it. But it was a natural thing, I never felt 'forced' into disliking it.

And if someone liked the trilogy at first and now doesn't maybe they liked it cause of the excitement of new music after digesting it and getting used to it may not like it after all

There has been several albums I liked when first getting it then disliking it as the newness wore off

I think the hate of the Trilogy is massively overestimated. I think a few people on this forum decided right off the bat, probably around when Oh Love came out, that the Trilogy wasn't grandiose like 21CB and therefore not good enough. Oh Love was a good song IMO, but it wasn't what we expected, so the negative vibes immediately started spewing. Every subsequent decision or release by the band was overly scrutinized by this same group of forum members. Since these forum members were the more active ones, people came into threads seeing mass Trilogy hate and, taking it as the overwhelming opinion, just began to believe that it was bad. People, eager for rep and to be welcomed into GDC, decided to jump on the bandwagon of hate. Eventually they subconsciously started to hate it due to the negative vibes swirling around the forum. Now the Trilogy is hated and those original few haters constantly remind us why.

I remember first joining this forum when the announcements were coming out and live footage was leaking. People said Kill the DJ was the coolest thing Green Day has ever made. People loved Carpe Diem. Stay the Night was an instant GD classic. Lazy Bones was dark and emotional. 8th Ave Serenade was going to be "a huge hit." People really loved what they were hearing. But a small group of people on this forum made them feel bad about their music interests and started a train of hate. You people know who you are, and you should feel very sad about your lives. Take off your Bose headphones and shut off your FLAC player and mixing software and just enjoy music and go outside and make friends. That is all. #longliveunodostre

I agree with most of this. Yet obviously, in my opinion, no one can blame Trilogy haters for making other fans hate the Trilogy. They have their own opinion, like everyone else out here, and it's only right that they write it down whenever they want.

All I can say is that I noticed that too, since I've been visited this forum for almost a year. There is a small group of people who constantly talk shit about the Trilogy, but that's not the problem: they have the full right to do that. The problem is that people may be strongly influenced by them, because they seem, and imo are, pretty clever/skillfull/musicians and they can support their theories with very strong argumentation. Also, they are very active, so it could only seem that most of people here don't like the Trilogy, whereas it's always the same group of people who express their hate again and again.

I personally don't agree with them but that doesn't mean, like you said, that other fans couldn't change their own opinions due to what may seem a stronger point of view than theirs. Argument from authority, you know.

To say they should feel sad about their lives because of other people's influenceability is ridiculous though.

And if someone liked the trilogy at first and now doesn't maybe they liked it cause of the excitement of new music after digesting it and getting used to it may not like it after all

There has been several albums I liked when first getting it then disliking it as the newness wore off

This is kind of what happened to me. I think I liked it at the start just coz it was new, and I was getting interested in Green Day again. When I read other opinions on here and analysed it a bit more, I changed my mind.

This is kind of what happened to me. I think I liked it at the start just coz it was new, and I was getting interested in Green Day again. When I read other opinions on here and analysed it a bit more, I changed my mind.

That's the point. That's what happened to a relevant number of fans here, in my opinion. I'm not gonna say you shouldn't have changed your mind, I'm just trying to explain what happened. Be careful though: that's not the Truth, but only a few opinions that may seem stronger than others.

I actually did quite like the Trilogy when it came out. I then came back here, saw other opinions on it, and I changed my mind on it. But it was a natural thing, I never felt 'forced' into disliking it.

I'm glad Dookie Lukie enjoyed this post enough to like it TEN. FUCKING. TIMES!

To say they should feel sad about their lives because of other people's influenceability is ridiculous though.

Sad about their lives because of the fact that they are so obsessed with being different/unique/audiophile that it causes them to lose interest in music they normally would have liked. And the fact of having their life become only this forum.

Sad about their lives because of the fact that they are so obsessed with being different/unique/audiophile that it causes them to lose interest in music they normally would have liked. And the fact of having their life become only this forum.

Well I don't know them enough to judge them this way. You've been here for a much longer time than me, so you probably do.

Archived