The Trilogy is massively underrated

dudley dawson

Sometimes you guys are such hipocrites... At first, when the record comes out on September 2012 you were all like: 'OMFG, THIS IS SO AMAZING, BEST SHIT EVER' (also it was like this on DOS! and TRÉ!)... And now you are massively hatin' on the trilogy...

IMO I really enjoyed the trilogy, all three records were a fresh and pure, you can barely feel the fun they have doing the albums.. (Also, I disagree with AI being worst than the trilogy HAHA, American Idiot is American Idiot).

So you're saying that it's better to trust an initial, hype-fed reaction to music than a fairer, less skewed judgement of that music a year later?

Makes sense.

• Replies 819
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely the best records since nimrod.They have such a fresh sound.I just dont understand why they gave up promoting them.they didnt even do any late night talk shows or anything....doesn't make any sense....they coukd have sold alot more slbums but they just seemed to give up. So many people dont even know those slbums exsit.

So you're saying that it's better to trust an initial, hype-fed reaction to music than a fairer, less skewed judgement of that music a year later?

Makes sense.

I didn't say that...

I was pretty excited the first time I hear the records and I have almost the same thoughts about them a year before, so...

Definitely the best records since nimrod.They have such a fresh sound.I just dont understand why they gave up promoting them.they didnt even do any late night talk shows or anything....doesn't make any sense....they coukd have sold alot more slbums but they just seemed to give up. So many people dont even know those slbums exsit.

They kind of had to give up on promoting them due to a small incident Billie was involved in that kind of slipped under the radar.

I didn't say that...

I was pretty excited the first time I hear the records and I have almost the same thoughts about them a year before, so...

That's fair enough, but it doesn't work for everyone.

I'm agree it doesnt work for everyone, I was just sharing my thoughts ;)

I'm agree it doesnt work for everyone, I was just sharing my thoughts ;)

Your thoughts?! On an internet forum?! What is wrong with you? :mad:

:D

They kind of had to give up on promoting them due to a small incident Billie was involved in that kind of slipped under the radar.

Why give up promoting they still could have tried a little harder...they had time to play shows why couldn't they do at least some tv promo...if I were them I would want to sell some records.. its like they just wanted to be done with the records.they dont even play they those records on pandora or the radio..

Why give up promoting they still could have tried a little harder...they had time to play shows why couldn't they do at least some tv promo...if I were them I would want to sell some records.. its like they just wanted to be done with the records.they dont even play they those records on pandora or the radio..

Because Billie was in rehab. From a record label standpoint there's no point putting money into promoting a band who can't go out and tour to earn money, since record sales don't really count for anything financially these days. The band did want to promote it but they had to cancel all TV appearances and an entire tour because Billie did this:

I know but I saw them in chicago in march why not do some more promoting around that time???tre was still a fresh album.

Let's be honest, do we really think better promotion would really have helped that much? There was already a 66% decline in sales from AI-21CB; the Trilogy was never going to be a huge smash regardless of how well Reprise plugged it.

I know but I saw them in chicago in march why not do some more promoting around that time???tre was still a fresh album.

It would have been way too little way too late, and I think the guys just wanted to get this whole era behind them.

I guess but I think x kid could have been promoted better....I thought that song was gonna be huge....but maybe im just a green day freak.

I think it's fair to say the label gave up on them, and that doesn't really surprise me. By the time they got back on the road any chance of mainstream success had gone because no mainstream label wants to be seen promoting albums that are months old, it just makes them look bad and slow on the uptake. The band probably just wanted to put the whole sorry mess behind them, too. It speaks volumes that they started to wheel Dookie out in full at gigs rather than push the Trilogy. Also this:

Let's be honest, do we really think better promotion would really have helped that much? There was already a 66% decline in sales from AI-21CB; the Trilogy was never going to be a huge smash regardless of how well Reprise plugged it.

I don't think it was ever intended to be anything on the same scale as American Idiot, or even Breakdown, but it could still have done a lot better than it did. Tre's sales are just embarrassing. There was always going to be a drop after American Idiot because that album was exceptional, they could never have expected to match that. But for the Trilogy to be their worst performing albums ever is still shocking given that the band were still kind of riding the back end of the wave of their biggest success during the Breakdown era.

I guess but I think x kid could have been promoted better....I thought that song was gonna be huge....but maybe im just a green day freak.

In an ideal world it would have been, it deserved it.

I don't think it was ever intended to be anything on the same scale as American Idiot, or even Breakdown, but it could still have done a lot better than it did. Tre's sales are just embarrassing. There was always going to be a drop after American Idiot because that album was exceptional, they could never have expected to match that. But for the Trilogy to be their worst performing albums ever is still shocking given that the band were still kind of riding the back end of the wave of their biggest success during the Breakdown era.

Are they really the worst-performing, or is 39/Smooth still the worst?

They released X-kid as a single in February. It wasn't heavily promoted but I think the band had decided it was going to give up on it. It is not uncommon to have a hit single released long after the initial album. But they decided that even when they came back, there would be no late show circuit or any other tv appearances.

I believe the band really wasn't** too happy with the trilogy in the end. They could have attempted to get it some attention at the big festivals, instead Dookie was the focus. It was a clear message that the trilogy and the songs with it are, for the most part, just a memory. I

If we are going by 39/Smooth alone then 39/Smooth is the worst

If we going by 1039 than the trilogy is the worst as 1039 is at least platinum

But I dont think the trilogy was even made to attract new fans so promotion still would be not as huge as AI/Breakdown imo

Will they ever be huge again????

I'd say they still are, to an extent. To be on top of the world again? It would be tough. They're more likely to put out something closer to Nimrod/Warning then they would AI/Dookie. I see it as possible, but it would take a certain storm of events, including some sort of super smash single to recapture the public's interest (like Good Riddance or American Idiot). Because the mainstream will be hesitant to embrace them again.

I believe the band really was too happy with the trilogy in the end. They could have attempted to get it some attention at the big festivals, instead Dookie was the focus. It was a clear message that the trilogy and the songs with it are, for the most part, just a memory. I

But what if they did the Dookie so they could film those shows for a Dookiedeluxe dvd?

As far as I know they're the worst outright. That's quite bad given that 1039 is basically unknown outside of the fandom!

They released X-kid as a single in February. It wasn't heavily promoted but I think the band had decided it was going to give up on it. It is not uncommon to have a hit single released long after the initial album. But they decided that even when they came back, there would be no late show circuit or any other tv appearances.

I believe the band really was too happy with the trilogy in the end. They could have attempted to get it some attention at the big festivals, instead Dookie was the focus. It was a clear message that the trilogy and the songs with it are, for the most part, just a memory. I

I think the amount of effort they didn't bother to put into the X-Kid 'video' speaks volumes. It would have been big had it been pushed properly, but obviously it just wasn't and I don't think the band cared by that point.

Will they ever be huge again????

They'll never get near American Idiot success, but they'll always be on the radar, I think. Then again, look at what was said after Insomniac flopped in comparison with Dookie.

Because Billie was in rehab. From a record label standpoint there's no point putting money into promoting a band who can't go out and tour to earn money, since record sales don't really count for anything financially these days. The band did want to promote it but they had to cancel all TV appearances and an entire tour because Billie did this:

youtube.com/watch?v=g9zogQOmQVM

Was it really necessary to include the video?

Was it really necessary to include the video?

Given the option I'd probably lean towards yes. Why wouldn't it be?

Plus you quoted it. So you're even worse.

Does the public really care about the I heart radio incident? My friend hates gd and he thought it was bad ass! I dont think it was that big of a deal...

Does the public really care about the I heart radio incident? My friend hates gd and he thought it was bad ass! I dont think it was that big of a deal...

Its not bout what the public thinks or cares its about Billie being drunk and needing help...

It was quite a big story in the music news at the time, but it mainly consisted of people laughing at him. For a lot of the core fanbase it was a scary indication of Billie's mental state at the time. So it was a big deal amongst fans, but as for the general public it was long forgotten by the time Miley started twerking.

And obviously it was a massive deal for Billie and those close to him.

alcohol is a dangerous thing when abused

Archived