Why do people hate Uno, Dos, or Tre?

peppermint butler

Ill be honest the trilogy hosts some of Green days finest work in my opinion eg. X-Kid, Stay the night, brutal love...

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ill be honest the trilogy hosts some of Green days finest work in my opinion eg. X-Kid, Stay the night, brutal love...

Yes, those are literally all the good songs off the Trilogy. How about the rest of it, which comprises almost all of Green Day's worst work?

I like all of the trilogy. No it's not Green Day's best, but it's still good and I think a lot of the songs are fun. I think some people had a problem with them not really talking about political or social issues like they did previously, but I find music gets boring fast if that's all that's out there.

I like all of the trilogy. No it's not Green Day's best, but it's still good and I think a lot of the songs are fun. I think some people had a problem with them not really talking about political or social issues like they did previously, but I find music gets boring fast if that's all that's out there.

I agree 100%. Sometimes all you need are catchy songs that are fun to sing along with, and that's the trilogy for me. Dos is my least favorite, but I LOVE Uno and Tre.

I already commented on Uno and Dos because these threads got merged. I don't hate Tre in the slightest, it's their 3rd best album in my opinion. Yes, that means I rate it above Dookie. The only songs on the album I don't like are A Little Boy Named Train and 8th Avenue Serenade. Brutal Love, Missing You and X-Kid are some of the best songs they've ever done, Drama Queen is something different and I love it apart from that line, Dirty Rotten Bastards is nothing amazing but parts of it are really good and it's good to hear Mike really let rip, and the rest are just plain good songs.

I agree 100%. Sometimes all you need are catchy songs that are fun to sing along with, and that's the trilogy for me. Dos is my least favorite, but I LOVE Uno and Tre.

I just remember the trilogy being one of the most exciting times for me. For three months there was new music from Green Day! And I couldn't wait until I got home and listen to the albums on repeat. It was also exciting because that was when I bought Green Day tickets for the first time :D

Well it's true, to be honest. The vast majority of the songs on it are terrible cringeworthy pieces of lazy songwriting. And the one real highlight of the album, Lazy Bones, is marred by what is basically tambourine abuse.

Billie Joe did say he had to write most of the trilogy in the studio, and in Cuatro he said "I am never going into the studio without lyrics again".

I love iDos! by the way.

Is Nightlife the only reason people hate Lady Cobra (the person)?

Nope, it's not -- but we're all just too ball-less (or possibly respectful?) to really get into a deep, :dry: honest discussion on that subject!

Billie Joe did say he had to write most of the trilogy in the studio, and in Cuatro he said "I am never going into the studio without lyrics again".

I love iDos! by the way.

He said that about Nimrod too lol but that would explain the lackluster writing of the trilogy. I didn't know he said that but I kind of assumed. I like the trilogy though, if you take for face value it's pretty fun but it certainly doesn't have the depth and feeling behind his usual lyrics. And musically the tone is a little too power pop for me but I love how they kind of let loose with guitars and stuff, the trilogies solos are some of the best they've ever done and I don't know. The trilogies good but it's totally missing feeling and purpose behind it

I love iDos! by the way.

As Jollyroger said, most of Nimrod was written in studio, with the exception of Haushinka and Good Riddance. With the Trilogy, we know for a fact that Drama Queen and Fuck Time, plus every song that was played here were written before the studio. Lazy Bones was played at their next show, and Webster Hall had Makeout Party, Stop When The Red Lights Flash, and possibly DRB. 99 Revolutions was played at the next show, and Amanda at the show after that, with Sex Drugs & Violence soundchecked at that one.

That's quite a sizeable chunk of the Trilogy, approximately 25 songs, written pre-studio.

I love iDos! by the way.

He was talking about Nimrod. Not the trilogy

I like Tre a lot. As for Uno and Dos, I have to be in the mood for Dos and I rarely listen to Uno. But with that being said, I really think there are awesome songs in the Trilogy (Lazy Bones...Brutal Love...Oh Love...Stray Heart) but they are surrounded by mediocre songs, causing the albums to feel washed out and filler-like.

As Jollyroger said, most of Nimrod was written in studio, with the exception of Haushinka and Good Riddance.

I thought Platypus was written for Insomniac, but was kept off to show maturity to the guy it was directed at.

I thought Platypus was written for Insomniac, but was kept off to show maturity to the guy it was directed at.

I think I vaguely remember hearing about that. I wasn't sure about it so I didn't mention it. Haushinka and Good Riddance were both demoed for Dookie.

I think I vaguely remember hearing about that. I wasn't sure about it so I didn't mention it. Haushinka and Good Riddance were both demoed for Dookie.

Ah.

Wait... Good Riddance was demoed for Dookie?

I feel that Green Day tried to hard to create three albums. Imagine if they took the 3-4 best songs of each album and just made one. It would have been their best one by far. Instead we are left with 3, good but not great albums.

Ah.

Wait... Good Riddance was demoed for Dookie?

No but it was written during the Dookie timeframe but was demo'ed/recorded until Insomniac

Tre gets pretty boring after the first 5 songs. Little Boy Named Train and DRB are pretty weak songs. SDV isn't the best either. And The Forgotten, but I'd still rather listen to Tre than Dos, Brutal Love, Missing You, and X-Kid carry the whole album

As Jollyroger said, most of Nimrod was written in studio, with the exception of Haushinka and Good Riddance. With the Trilogy, we know for a fact that Drama Queen and Fuck Time, plus every song that was played here were written before the studio. Lazy Bones was played at their next show, and Webster Hall had Makeout Party, Stop When The Red Lights Flash, and possibly DRB. 99 Revolutions was played at the next show, and Amanda at the show after that, with Sex Drugs & Violence soundchecked at that one.

That's quite a sizeable chunk of the Trilogy, approximately 25 songs, written pre-studio.

That's a good point though it does seem they went into the studio not having the whole thing mapped out as evidenced by changing song titles (crushing bastards and others) and swapping lyrics like Gabriella and Amanda. I think they wanted to take a very loose approach this time but it ended up getting muddied

That's a good point though it does seem they went into the studio not having the whole thing mapped out as evidenced by changing song titles (crushing bastards and others) and swapping lyrics like Gabriella and Amanda. I think they wanted to take a very loose approach this time but it ended up getting muddied

Going into the studio with the whole thing mapped out is incredibly rare. Songs were left off Warning, Drama Queen was about a month away from being on 21stCB, and that's just with Green Day.

All of Dookie sounds the same, all of Insomniac sounds the same. But they all have great songs on them. That's what creates the distinct feel of each album. Kinda like nationalism, how people who share common cultures show nationalism, songs that share a common sound create the tone of the album

Troll point: 99% of Green Day songs have Billie on vocals, therefore all GD songs sound te same :P

:lol: in my defense, I was referring to the rest of the trilogy when I said other albums :P I don't really think it's completely fair to compare Dookie/Insomniac to Uno though, but mainly because of the time difference and the experience gained between the '94 and now. I mean, feel free to compare if you feel the need to :lol: it's just my opinion :P

Funny thing is I thought about Insomniac when I said Uno sounds all the same! I think Dookie has enough variation in it that I wouldn't necessarily say it all sounds the same, or they at least ordered it well enough that not all the songs sound the same directly one after the other.

I do agree that Uno could have better songs lyric wise, though. They all fall into one of three categories:

1. so and so sucks
  2. I love Adrienne
  3. Government sucks

Not only does it have tediously repetitive sounds, but the stories with the songs are tediously repetitive too.

Archived