First Green Day Song?

Antonium2200

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure I heard When I Come Around on the radio once and was kind of indifferent to it, then several years later I saw a live performance of 21 Guns and thought the band name sounded familiar so I looked them up, fell in love with their music, and never looked back.

The earliest I can think of is Good Riddance when I was 5. But I didn't get into Green Day until I heard American Idiot and Boulevard of Broken Dreams.

The first song "in full" I heard was Kill The DJ. I heard their songs prior to that, but not the whole way through. Kill The DJ really got me into Green Day believe it or not.

American Idiot was the first song I knew was by Green Day, but the first Green Day song I think I ever heard was Warning and I only found out it was by Green Day years later. Could have been Minority or When I Come Around as well but I'm pretty sure it was Warning.

hmmm...not too sure about this. I remember always hearing green day on the radio when I was a little kid in the 90's, and I remember when I was about 8 or 9 at a sleepover, my friend put her brothers dookie CD on, and I remember really really liking it, but I didn't say anything because back then, I had my grandparents putting shit in my head and telling me that rock music was evil....hahaha! Soooo....who knows :confused:

I heard American Idiot on whatever Madden NFL game it was on. Loved it, started finding other Green Day songs, and it started.

The first song in the series of exposure that led to my interest in Green Day was American Idiot, which a friend of mine showed me back in the beginning of 2005. At that point it became just another song on my mp3 player, which I recall as consisting of between 1-3 tracks from various artists, all the way from Black Eyed Peas to Queen to Eminem. I did grow to like it though, especially the music video I later saw on TV... I remember spending hours - and catching a virus on my computer - trying to find a legit video file of it on Limewire (a shady file sharing software). Then Green Day topped the charts with the rest of the AI singles and I slowly dug into their old material, like you would expect. But upon hearing some of their older stuff I distinctly remember recognizing three songs in particular: Basket Case, Good Riddance and Minority, so technically I believe whichever one of these could be the one I actually heard first, it's hard to say.

I'm not sure which one was the first before getting into them, because my dad had Dookie so I probably heard all of those and some AI songs at a friend's house, she used to be a huge fan when they were trendy (2005). But what got me into them? Working Class Hero. Yup.

I remember waiting up for the release of the music video, and going to buy the green t-shirt they released through Hard Rock Café, which to this day is one of my favorite t-shirts. I also remember listening the crap out of that song. But I've always wondered how it would've been to have become a fan of them pre or post the American Idiot hype, especially in that long stretch between late 2005 and early 2009, which I believe Working Class Hero fell right in the middle of (2007).

It's an era that I'm thinking we all must have some sort of connection to, whether it was seeing a favorite band suddenly rise to extreme popularity and changing their image, or whether it is like a holy grail of the past that you didn't witness. Or whether it was the album that got you into them, like it was to me, and therefore always will cause you to measure everything in pre-AI and post-AI. It's probably not that different in the end, but I believe POV could matter in some way. At least it's interesting to think about.

When I Come Around was my favourite song when I was about 4, but I didn't know it was Green Day then. My first song actually knowing it was Green Day was American Idiot, at some guys birthday party in March 2005.

There is a large thread here. It hasn't been posted in for a while, however, so might be worth a merge to bump it into action again.

Not sure why this was missed.

Archived