Cussing on the trilogy

peppermint butler

Whenever Billie says fuck or shit it sounds strained on the trilogy. Especially on uno. Why is that?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really sure I know what you mean. If anything, it's just his style of delivery. Plus it makes sense to say it with some kind of attitude.

"Cussing". Lulz.

He needs to spend more time on this side of the Atlantic. Swearing is pretty much a form of punctuation over here, and "shithead", "cunt", and "fuckface" are basically pet names. Billie would be a natural in no time.

What I mean is the way he says it sounds like they had him say fuck and shit and they just edited it into the songs

I agree it feels like most of it was just thrown into the song to seem like "hey its old green day cursing yea woo!" i think some of the writing in the trilogy could have used less random fucks and more smartly written lines

To me sounds ok... :ermm: Unlike International Supervideos! where every time there's "cussing" Billie's voice sounds like his throat is being quickly squeezed. And that's not good.

To me sounds ok... :ermm: Unlike International Superhits! where every time there's "cussing" Billie's voice sounds like his throat is being quickly squeezed. And that's not good.

Billie doesn't swear on any of the 3 International Superhits exclusive songs...

Billie doesn't swear on any of the 3 International Superhits exclusive songs...

I was about to correct my post, I meant International Supervideos!

Whenever Billie says fuck or shit it sounds strained on the trilogy. Especially on uno. Why is that?

Do you mean forced?

"Cussing". Lulz.

He needs to spend more time on this side of the Atlantic. Swearing is pretty much a form of punctuation over here, and "shithead", "cunt", and "fuckface" are basically pet names. Billie would be a natural in no time.

Exactly well said fuckface ;)

I'm guessing he is secretly Irish or something and instead of hiding it anymore he just said "fuck it!" and started to let his tongue do it's thing :)

Agree with you so much, Matt. I feel like those words weren't utilized very artistically in the trilogy. In all of their other albums, the swearing seemed to serve a purpose, in the trilogy, and especially Uno, it seems to be over-used and just put in to "be there."

W-wait so you mean the lines "Shut your mouth 'cause you're talking too much and I don't give a fuck anyway" and "Shoot the fucking DJ" don't make Billie seem so edgy and punx rawkz? :o

/s

Agree with you so much, Matt. I feel like those words weren't utilized very artistically in the trilogy. In all of their other albums, the swearing seemed to serve a purpose, in the trilogy, and especially Uno, it seems to be over-used and just put in to "be there."

I might agree if it was someone else, but Billie swears so much just when he's talking that it doesn't sound forced/over-used to me at all :lol:. If anything I think it's the other way round and he's "unnaturally" restrained his swearing on other albums. Whereas Uno Dos and Tre were made in a more spontaneous way so he let his natural swearing flow freely!

W-wait so you mean the lines "Shut your mouth 'cause you're talking too much and I don't give a fuck anyway" and "Shoot the fucking DJ" don't make Billie seem so edgy and punx rawkz? :o

/s

God, those are terrible songs XD

& if they had done this it would have been more radio friendly. Kill the DJ is ridiculous on the radio because of the editing.

& if they had done this it would have been more radio friendly. Kill the DJ is ridiculous on the radio because of the editing.

I actually prefer the radio edit. Go figure :P

I agree it feels like most of it was just thrown into the song to seem like "hey its old green day cursing yea woo!" i think some of the writing in the trilogy could have used less random fucks and more smartly written lines

Agree 100%. The cursing doesn't bother me, and in some places it's effective, but the thing with the F-bomb is the more you use it, the less power it has. If you use it sparingly, it's way more powerful. Just look at famous movie quotes. That's why American Idiot is so powerful, and why the trilogy you just become numb to the cursing and it doesn't really make you think about the power behind it. It starts to lose meaning, and the whole point of those words is to help you get your point across.

I also think Billie used "fuckin" as a placeholder for what could have been a more interesting, descriptive adjective for a lot of lyrics on the trilogy. Or because he needed two extra syllables in a line and it was just easier to say "fuckin." Then again, I definitely would believe that he's just writing from his heart/mind, and there's a lot of "fucking this, fucking that" going through his head, but I do think that as a songwriter and poet it's his job to think a little deeper than that. But we know these albums were "shooting from the hip" and "fun," and maybe less self-edited and less self-conscious. Maybe most of Billie's first-draft songs have "fuckin _______" every other word, and in the past he would go back and actually rethink those lyrics and put in something more poetic, but on the trilogy they had a "fuck it" attitude with every song, and so we wound up with, IMO, weaker lyrics.

Archived