Green Day are re-recording Dookie?

ColinOr

I don't think they are re-recording the album, i think they just want to know how they sound or what things they can add to the songs :P but this is really exciting!!! :runaround:

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh, I don't see it. Not after they just did 3 albums. Recording is expensive.

No, promotion is expensive

Exactly the same, except with shite guitar tone and auto-tuned vocals.

and billie harmonizing over himself rather than mike :(

They have 3 albums of material done. Rather than starting from scratch, it makes more sense to pick up where they left off. If they did Dookie again they'd have to pay for recording and promotion. At least the Trilogy cuts out half.

Production and mastering is expensive. Why would one go to the trouble of recording and mastering an album, then not promote it at all?

(guess we can ask whoever was responsible for the trilogy)

It was actually only two times.

But now it feels like "promoting" because everybody on GDC is making a big thing out of it.

The rumour about playing Dookie in full was started before they even released the trilogy (right before Reading 2012). I think Billie Joe himself hinted at it. And now, full dookie at Reading will probably become true.

Of course we make a big deal, that's what we do. Plus it's exciting, because it's not common. Every other date they've played in the 99 REVOLUTIONS TOUR has been promotion for the trilogy. So when something different like this comes around people are going to be excited.

Production and mastering is expensive. Why would one go to the trouble of recording and mastering an album, then not promote it at all?

If they go all out then yeah. Billie co-owns a label though and has a studio in his house. It's not like they have to do it at some big-name studio. Plus they produced Warning and numerous other peoples' albums (at least Billie has, Mike might have as well). There are lots of ways for them to do this on the cheap.

Not to mention they aren't exactly poor and this was a huge fucking album. It would sell hella well.

I break it down like this.

1. Burnout (Fine as is)

2. Having A Blast (Fine as is)

3. Chump (Fine as is)

4. Longview (Don't touch it)

5. Welcome to Paradise (Fine as is, already rerecorded)

6. Pulling Teeth (A new recording would sound cool)

7. Basket Case (Don't touch it)

8. She (Don't touch it)

9. Sassafras Roots (Re touch it just a bit)

10. When I Come Around (STAY AWAY)

11. Coming Clean (Fine)

12. Emenius Sleepus (Fine)

13. In the End (I want a 2013 version)

14. FOD (Fine)

I break it down like this.

1. Burnout (Fine as is)

2. Having A Blast (Fine as is)

3. Chump (Fine as is)

4. Longview (Don't touch it)

5. Welcome to Paradise (Fine as is, already rerecorded)

6. Pulling Teeth (A new recording would sound cool)

7. Basket Case (Don't touch it)

8. She (Don't touch it)

9. Sassafras Roots (Re touch it just a bit)

10. When I Come Around (STAY AWAY)

11. Coming Clean (Fine)

12. Emenius Sleepus (Fine)

13. In the End (I want a 2013 version)

14. FOD (Fine)

And your expert criteria is?

i would actually love to see what their re-recorded version of dookie would sound like.

like, what changes would they make and if it would improve or completely change the entire sound of dookie.

My guess/hope is, that they are trying to make the songs "better" for the live-dookie-record which is MAYBE coming out the for the Anniversary next year.

You know, because of the acoustic Pulling Teeth version.

Maybe they're also trying to get as much footage as possible to make a very good live album, but I don't know, just my guesses.

Well no shit, but I'm asking you to explain it a little. Why are some fine and others not?

It seems like the biggest thing people want is a studio acoustic Pulling Teeth.

Well no shit, but I'm asking you to explain it a little. Why are some fine and others not?

The one's that I marked as fine or whatever are classics and I think if they went and rerecorded those...it would kinda ruin them a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L5_-8S6CKo

how the fuck i've never seen this before :o thanks!!

Yeah! I'd love that one and Kerplunk re-recorded... in acoustic. That's one of my GD related dreams :shy:

Agreed. But maybe 'cause the "real" tour hasn't really started yet.

what do you mean by the real tour?

idk. i want a live or acoustic dookie though.

live cd/dvd! :o

haha now i'm just talking shit.

no. just no. you don't do that to a master piece. the last thing we need is a watered down, over produced trilogy sounding dookie.

if they even have the slightest thought about doing this; somebody needs to throw the trilogy on the floor and rub billies nose in it like a dog that shit on the carpet. maybe, just maybe they'll get the hint to stop.

Has it occurred to anyone that they might be listening to the live recordings from the most recent shows?

Yeah! I'd love that one and Kerplunk re-recorded... in acoustic. That's one of my GD related dreams :shy:

Agreed. But maybe 'cause the "real" tour hasn't really started yet.

It has't started in Australia that's for friggin sure. :(

Has it occurred to anyone that they might be listening to the live recordings from the most recent shows?

But in the recent shows they didn't play Pullig Teeth acoustic........... But i guess that song could be from the 21stCB tour :P

I've never considered this album a masterpiece and it could definitely be improved from re-recording. I don't think that's what they're doing, and I definitely don't think now is a good time for it, but I'd be fine with them recording this whole thing live/acoustic/studio if they wanted. I have 2-3 different versions of Nirvanas Nevermind and have favorites from each edition, I love having that option. It's not like the original isn't there for all who wouldn't want it. The solution is to simply not buy/listen to it. Woah, problem solved!

Also, while recording and producing can be expensive, it is definitely the promotion that pulls in the major costs for groups like Green Day who could probably do this album at home on their own if they wanted to at this point. You wouldn't even have to promote this album, just state it once in an interview and the fans will do it for you. IT's Dookie!

I've never considered this album a masterpiece

You lost me here already. I've been consider it a masterpiece for the past 18+ years and this is something for the unpopular opinions thread. :P

Archived