"After The Disappointment of "Uno!, Dos!, Tre!" has Green Day Lost Some of Their Popularity?"

desertrose

Nirvana actually has more albums sold but not by much anymore if GD sells 4 million more they'll be above

i didn't know they sold that much with only 4 albums :o holy shit okay thanks

Are you fucking kidding me? Kurt Cobain is nowhere NEAR Billie Joe in ANY WAY ANY SORT OF TALENT AT ALL. Billie Joe is hands down a better singer, lyricist, songwriter, everything, Green Day sound better live, sound better in studio, EVERYTHING. No. Doubt. About. It. Can there be a more ridiculous claim than to say that Dookie wasn't completely original?

that's an opinion not a fact.

most people prefer Kurt Cobain to Billie. he's considered as a legend y'know.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nirvana is at 76 of the highest selling band Green Day is 83

I dont know what universe YOU live in but 76 is higher than 83...

But you're extremely disillusional i dont argue with crazy people who make Amanda Bynes sane...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists

No, they aren't. Those are certified sales 2013. They were just updated a few months ago. If you're going to insult me, please, do it in a way that doesn't make you sound like an ignorant ass.

According to wikipedia, Green day is in the top 15 of all time in worldwide sales by american rock bands, however in the U.S. alone they're not nearly as popular sales wise or tickets sales wise.

Since 2000 in the U.S. and worldwide, bands such as Linkin Park, The Killers, coldplay have outsold them in sales. And currently in the U.S, bands like fun., Black Keys, The lumineers, linkin park and mumford and sons are much more popular. I mean most everyone knows green day now either from american idiot for younger adults or dookie for older adults, but a lot of those people don't know follow them that closely especially in this country in this age where most music gains and loses popularity quickly.

AI only sold 5 mill in the U.S. which still is behind multiple albums by artists mentioned above, and we know warning and 21CB went just gold and 1x platinum respectively. Plus dookie is just not known by that many people under 25 years old. Foo fighters appeal to more people over 25 in the classic rock arena, when you take into consideration pearl jam, nirvana, Rush and even Who fans.

Green day had two great albums, more momentous, riskier and polarizing than anything foo fighters ever released. But that doesn't mean they necessarily have more popularity than the foo fighters especially because classic rock fans, who may not buy their albums at a high rate but do however enjoy and attend a lot of their shows. That being said, Internationally I would say green day is about equal to the foo's in popularity right now, they both sell out huge arenas in europe. In the U.S. I would say foo's have them at least right now, 21CB was slightly bigger than wasting light but I think a wider array of fans enjoy foo fighters shows a bit more than green day shows in the U.S. Plus a lot of AI fanatics may have bought 21CB just based off of AI's success and lost intersest after listening. And it was such a dramatic shift the rock operas to the trilogy, like many have said it just wasn't the right timing, plus the promotion was shitty, and of course billie was battling some deamons.

I will say however with everything lined up against them, the sales weren't all that bad, I thought it could have been a lot worse. There are still a lot of true green day fans out there, and I think that was the point of the trilogy get a shit lod of songs to the hardcore fans, and I think the songs themselves for the most part delivered with a handful of exceptions. Better ability to promote would have helped reach more fair weather fans or even young teenagers who are looking for inspirational and relatable music which I do believe there are even if it isn't in mass numbers like it used to be. And I believe Green Day has just as good a chance if not more than any other band because of their talent, personality and experience to reach that younger generation going forward.

No, they aren't. Those are certified sales 2013. They were just updated a few months ago. If you're going to insult me, please, do it in a way that doesn't make you sound like an ignorant ass.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists_in_the_United_States

i didn't know they sold that much with onyl 4 albums :o holy shit okay thanks

That's quite honestly the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. I'm biased, but so are Nirvana fans. Up here in Canada, people hate Nirvana for the most part. I haven't met that many people who actually like them.

i didn't know they sold that much with only 4 albums :o holy shit okay thanks

Nevermind has sold worldwide close to 25 mil copies alone plus the boxset the live albums etc

You are the ignorant ass here. Without a shadow of a doubt; you talk about people insulting you when you're practically asking for a flame war thrown at you for an aggressive subjective opinion on a band many consider to be very influential.

WHO FUCKING CARES if they sold more or less than GD? we all agree they both sell approximately the same thanks.

That's quite honestly the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. I'm biased, but so are Nirvana fans. Up here in Canada, people hate Nirvana for the most part. I haven't met that many people who actually like them.

and why does it bother you? it's not because you think this band is overrated and that Kurt wasn't talented and shit and it's true or that everyone has to agree.

i'm just saying they were one of the most known and loved band in the world.

Really? The United States? No, no. Worldwide sales are what matter. When your biggest album is called AMERICAN IDIOT, ESPECIALLY when it's released during a war, and there is a song that speaks out against the war, you aren't going to find yourself too successful in America. Not as much as you would if your album was called IRANIAN IDIOT. I remember a time when Micheal Jackson was known as nothing but a rapist. Now he's also pop legend. Why? Cause he died. It takes someone dying for people to remember them for a good reason. I bet if Billie Joe died, everyone would be like OMG SO SAD, OMG BILLIE JOE HE WAS SO PERTY NO WHYD HE DIE NOOOOOOO!, and they'd all be listening to them, and loving them, not remembering him for being a stoner, a freak, "emo", that guy who played MSG nude, that guy who hates America, that guy who broke his guitar on TV. Just like how when Cobain took a huge heroine dose and shot himself, the news blew up. Because he was famous, and now he is more famous. Because he's dead. If Nirvana were still kicking, he'd be viewed just as Billie Joe is, a rockstar. Not a legend.

Really? The United States? No, no. Worldwide sales are what matter. When your biggest album is called AMERICAN IDIOT, ESPECIALLY when it's released during a war, and there is a song that speaks out against the war, you aren't going to find yourself too successful in America. Not as much as you would if your album was called IRANIAN IDIOT. I remember a time when Micheal Jackson was known as nothing but a rapist. Now he's also pop legend. Why? Cause he died. It takes someone dying for people to remember them for a good reason. I bet if Billie Joe died, everyone would be like OMG SO SAD, OMG BILLIE JOE HE WAS SO PERTY NO WHYD HE DIE NOOOOOOO!, and they'd all be listening to them, and loving them, not remembering him for being a stoner, a freak, "emo", that guy who played MSG nude, that guy who hates America, that guy who broke his guitar on TV. Just like how when Cobain took a huge heroine dose and shot himself, the news blew up. Because he was famous, and now he is more famous. Because he's dead. If Nirvana were still kicking, he'd be viewed just as Billie Joe is, a rockstar. Not a legend.

Kurt was more popular in the 90s that Billie Joe ever was. Nirvana was huge at that time.

You are the ignorant ass here. Without a shadow of a doubt; you talk about people insulting you when you're practically asking for a flame war thrown at you for an aggressive subjective opinion on a band many consider to be very influential.

I was called insane because I said Green Day have sold more albums than Nirvana. Green Day have sold more albums than Nirvana. Yet I'm ignorant. Definitely. An opinion is like an asshole. Everyone has one. I'm not asking for a flame war. My opinion was stated. It was shit on. That's how the internet works. You know how else it works? I can do whatever the fuck I want and get away with it. So can you. So can everyone here. If someone wants to call me out on a fact that I've stated, I'll prove him wrong, and it's as simple as that. This has gotten completely out of hand, partially due to my opinions, partially due to yours, and everyone elses. This is what happens. I'll leave now, and let a mod clean this up. Have a good night.

Kurt was more popular in the 90s that Billie Joe ever was. Nirvana was huge at that time.

I am very well aware of that. One Direction are more popular than Billie ever was now. So is PSY.

G'day everyone. I'm done with this. There's no place on a Green Day fan forum for shit like this.

I get it flying you're not a Nirvana fan and Green Day are a talented band they are my favorite band that's still active and they're right behind Nirvana as far as of all time bit tou say Nirvana wasn't original and call Green Day original is just delusional and idiotic. I can tell you werent around when Nirvana was active if it wasnt for Nirvana there's a good chance Green Day wouldn't have broke out as early as they did. Is Green Day a huge band. Yes they are I'd never be dumb to try to say they aren't but they are not as popular as they were and the next album could easily make them back tp the AI days but if not they are still going to be a huge band and have made a mark on the music world.

why do all our discussions always come to comparing green day to nirvana lol. NIRVANA IS GOOD GREEN DAY IS GOOD. Who fucking cares how many more albums each has sold and who fucking cares which lead singer is better.

Edit: I also hate to break it to you guys but your arguments are straight up opinions so nobody is going to win.

I was called insane because I said Green Day have sold more albums than Nirvana. Green Day have sold more albums than Nirvana. Yet I'm ignorant. Definitely. An opinion is like an asshole. Everyone has one. I'm not asking for a flame war. My opinion was stated. It was shit on. That's how the internet works. You know how else it works? I can do whatever the fuck I want and get away with it. So can you. So can everyone here. If someone wants to call me out on a fact that I've stated, I'll prove him wrong, and it's as simple as that. This has gotten completely out of hand, partially due to my opinions, partially due to yours, and everyone elses. This is what happens. I'll leave now, and let a mod clean this up. Have a good night.

Not really; keep acting like a thundercunt and I can bet your ass is going to get banned, so good luck exercising your (ab)use of free speech. The problem isn't the opinion itself; it's the way you are conducting your opinion. Honest to god, I think it's best if you just stop. This topic has now practically derailed and frankly, you're not helping yourself let alone anyone else. You've stated your opinion, yet you're acting like a jackass about it let alone anyone else's opinion.

Good luck telling me shit about the internet; building things for the internet is my job. And you got it wrong already, you can't just say anything you want and not expect any repercussions whatsoever. The internet and real life are not two separate domains.

I get it flying you're not a Nirvana fan and Green Day are a talented band they are my favorite band that's still active and they're right behind Nirvana as far as of all time bit tou say Nirvana wasn't original and call Green Day original is just delusional and idiotic. I can tell you werent around when Nirvana was active if it wasnt for Nirvana there's a good chance Green Day wouldn't have broke out as early as they did. Is Green Day a huge band. Yes they are I'd never be dumb to try to say they aren't but they are not as popular as they were and the next album could easily make them back tp the AI days but if not they are still going to be a huge band and have made a mark on the music world.

Nirvana was original. They weren't as original as Green Day. That is my opinion. It conflicts with yours. Welcome to the internet, I'll be your guide. So now like I said before, I'm going to leave this before I lose my shit because my opinion is too strong for a forum. I hate Nirvana and the ground they stand on because of undeserved fame. In my opinion. It's not a fact, but it is to me. Not to you, and I'll let you have that. Because you like Nirvana. And that's fine. Good night.

im about to throw up with all your Nirvana hate.. not as original as green day? what the fuck is going on

I think some people need to read. I specifically said Nirvana was original. First sentence of my post.

To sum up what happened here, I said that Green Day brought an original sound out with the release of Dookie and said that they were better than Nirvana. Someone said I should lay off the drugs because they aren't better than Nirvana and that I'm insane because I thought Green Day were original.

Edit: I also hate to break it to you guys but your arguments are straight up opinions so nobody is going to win.

THANK YOU.

I think some people need to read. I specifically said Nirvana was original. First sentence of my post.

To sum up what happened here, I said that Green Day brought an original sound out with the release of Dookie and said that they were better than Nirvana. Someone said I should lay off the drugs because they aren't better than Nirvana and that I'm insane because I thought Green Day were original.

and just before you blasted them by the dumbest arguments i have ever read. yes okay.

Ok I'm sorry you didnt say they werent original you said

" they'll see how Green Day, unlike Nirvana, Coldplay, the Foo Fighters, etc, came up with a sound that you can't compare to ANYTHING. Green Day did what the Beatles did, did what Van Halen did, did what GnR did, did what Metallica did, just did it in the 90's. Dookie is a sound like NO OTHER, while bands like Nirvana are as simple as Ramones + Metal."

Which is basically saying Nirvana was just a rip pff of Ramones and metal (which isnt the case)

So I apologize for putting extra words flying

Guest Trotsky

I'm sick to read about fucking Nirvana.Let's talk about Green Day.The thread is called:"After The Disappointment of "Uno!, Dos!, Tre!" has Green Day Lost Some of Their Popularity?".If you want to talk about Nirvana do it in the Nirvana thread.That's enough!

I like nirvana. But seriously LET'S STOP IT! I'm sick of it!

Hahahaha I got a good kick out of reading this :lol:

Now let's all come back and talk about how much we still love Green Day even though the last albums only sold well :hug:

Wow... I love Nirvana.

But even if Kurt was still alive, I do not think they'd still be around making records today...

Archived