Green Day's Next Album

Joe Van Winkle

What I think about the new abum

-It's gonna have a "live-feeling" (like billie mentioned it once)

-It's gonna be a rock opera (pretty sure he mentioned that too)

-idk, something tells me that it's gonna be harder and louder :D

-I'm pretty sure, we're going to hear something, we've never heard before, all this shit which was going on around billie for the last 18 (?) years is gone. He's a "new" person, he's seems so much happier and enjoys every fucking second of live.

So I think the sound of the new album is gonna be happy, but angry :D

Just like Jaded, it's a angry song with that happy feeling. I think/hope it's gonna be like that.

All this shit I said is what I think. Pretty sure though it's not gonna happen like that (I mean..it's green day, they fuck with everyone :D) but I just wanted to share my thoughts.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that they have one more Warner/Reprise album left in their contract before they're free, unless they stay on for another term etc. It would be cool if that last major label album was some kind of ode to Dookie/AI anniversaries and all that jazz.

Wait a minute... how do you know that they only have one album left on their contract?

Y,know what I think? Just enjoy the trilogy and go see Green Day live. The new album will be there on its time. We can't make it come faster and we just got a shitload of new songs. They're probably relieved to finally have finished the trilogy and are giving themselves a writing rest to just focus on touring.

Flamenco-Cowboy-Jazz-Death Metal-Psychedelica-Emo-Prog with Face melting Banjo solos played by Jeff Matika while wearing a pink dress and high heels while being recorded on top of a Llama in australia.

All the songs will be instrumental.

I'd buy that. I'd buy it so hard.

I think only the first song on the new album will bring up the rehab in some form, the rest of the album will not bring it up and talk about other things

I forget where i read it but billie himself said he was already working on new songs for another concept album

Who knows what they will come out with next? I'm sure whatever it is will be amazing as always!:wub:

What Billie said about another rock opera with more of a lo-fi sound sounds amazing to me, something along the lines of American Idiot or 21st Century Breakdown but with that raw, gritty sound.

Hopefully something mature and well-made. Something epic and complex like AI or 21CB. That's the mature route to take.

Wait a minute... how do you know that they only have one album left on their contract?

Billie Joe mentioned it in the Rolling Stone interview a couple of months ago where he discussed the Trilogy and rehab etc (The one where Billie Joe was on the cover). He mentioned that the trilogy technically counted as 'one' album. It also briefly states how they have one left on the contract.

What Billie said about another rock opera with more of a lo-fi sound sounds amazing to me, something along the lines of American Idiot or 21st Century Breakdown but with that raw, gritty sound.

So basically it's gonna be what American Idiot was story-wise, but sound like what Cigarettes and Valentines was going to sound like. Sort of that fast, up-tempo punk rock sound sort of like what Insomniac sounded like.

I can dig it. I can dig it hard.

Warner owns Adeline so it's not really independent like it looks...

Good point!

I should've clarified.. I meant I'm more excited to see what comes out of them creatively. I'm not sure if it'll make a difference or not, but from the sounds of that Rolling Stone issue where he discussed rehab etc, he jokingly made a reference of wanting out of that contract. I'm interested to see what that whole thing sparks in them :)

Album will probably be out in mid 2016, and I'm expecting a much grittier album.

I think the band realized they over-polished the Trilogy, hopefully the next material has an Insomniac/Foxboro feel.

Will be a while though.

Billie Joe mentioned it in the Rolling Stone interview a couple of months ago where he discussed the Trilogy and rehab etc (The one where Billie Joe was on the cover). He mentioned that the trilogy technically counted as 'one' album. It also briefly states how they have one left on the contract.

Really? I don't remember reading that, I probably didn't understand it, but it's weird that a band has an end to a contract :mellow: lol

So after that they'll just leave the label? That would be good actually!

Well it's probably better that it takes a while until they release a new album, wait is always good! It makes fans more exited (at least in my case) and it's good for them to rest and spend time with their families!

(it was not my intention to make a double post sorry!)

I just know that it's gonna be fucking amazing!!! :ga:

I hope they move on to a new direction rather than produce another pop-punk album

lmao green day's core sound is pop punk.

Really? I don't remember reading that, I probably didn't understand it, but it's weird that a band has an end to a contract :mellow: lol

So after that they'll just leave the label? That would be good actually!

It doesn't necessarily mean an end in all cases. It is based on a term (amount of time, example: a contract that lasts 5 years with the option of an extension), or on a certain amount of albums (for example: contract worth 10 albums and the option of an extension).

After it 'ends' there is usually a 'Sunset Clause' written in the contract which states how much the label will make off the records released in their contract period after the contract period is over. For example - {I'm just making this situation and the numbers up so you get the idea} - Say that Green Day's contract ended in december 2015, there would be a clause that states from january 2016-december 2016 the label would get 10% of album sales, from january 2017-december 2017 the label would get 5% of album sales and so on and so forth with a decreasing percentage each few years - hence why they call it a sunset clause, its acts like a sunset with each decreasing percentage of royalties :)

Hope thats not too confusing lol, I read these stupid contracts every day so theres MANY ties that still bind the artist to the contract even after the term is over :(

It will be an awesome album, I can feel it. But, all I hope for is that they're going to do what they feel is right, and stay true to their sound.

I hope they take their time and don't feel like they have to rush it (which I don't think they do). In my eyes they have always written great albums together and don't think the next one will disappoint. There will always be songs which aren't going to be everybody's cup of tea and that's good. If everyone shared the exact same opinions there would be nothing to argue about on here ;)

It doesn't necessarily mean an end in all cases. It is based on a term (amount of time, example: a contract that lasts 5 years with the option of an extension), or on a certain amount of albums (for example: contract worth 10 albums and the option of an extension).

After it 'ends' there is usually a 'Sunset Clause' written in the contract which states how much the label will make off the records released in their contract period after the contract period is over. For example - {I'm just making this situation and the numbers up so you get the idea} - Say that Green Day's contract ended in december 2015, there would be a clause that states from january 2016-december 2016 the label would get 10% of album sales, from january 2017-december 2017 the label would get 5% of album sales and so on and so forth with a decreasing percentage each few years - hence why they call it a sunset clause, its acts like a sunset with each decreasing percentage of royalties :)

Hope thats not too confusing lol, I read these stupid contracts every day so theres MANY ties that still bind the artist to the contract even after the term is over :(

Warner (or at least from 2010) doesn't do sunset clauses tho so that wouldn't apply to GD

Only major label that puts that clause in is Sony/Columbia/BMG Universal is optional they let the label handle that like Geffen does that but Cash Money doesn't

Usually that clause is put in when they will let the artists buy the rights to the catalog back from the label which Warner isn't a label that allows that

Good point!

I should've clarified.. I meant I'm more excited to see what comes out of them creatively. I'm not sure if it'll make a difference or not, but from the sounds of that Rolling Stone issue where he discussed rehab etc, he jokingly made a reference of wanting out of that contract. I'm interested to see what that whole thing sparks in them :)

I don't see them leaving Warner because they seem to be happy there, they obviously can pretty much do whatever they want, rob covallo is a big dude there he's like important or something, and Warner owns Adeline so I don't see why they'd leave Warner

lmao green day's core sound is pop punk.

Have you heard Money Money 2020, American Idiot, 21CB, Dos, stop drop and roll, or maybe Tre by chance?

It's too early to be talking about a new album and the trilogy was great.

I wonder if Jason will contribute to the writing process this time

Archived