Mike Dirnt's negative comments on Cuatro

Dillwad

Enough is enough... if a good song is played... of course people will want to hear it. A person should be happy that people want their music heard even if it is old. I have listened to much of their music and frankily, there are very few songs from the Uno, Dos, and Tre albums that I like. I would probably be standing there asking them to play Nuclear Family and a bunch of their old songs with it.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dude, I'm not gonna write a long and meaningful explanation for a bunch of butthurt people. There's no point of repeating what people have allready said, I find this thread pointless.

yes, that's why you have like 4+ pointless posts here.

back to the topic, Tre doesn't care in the video..and they did not care about that in 1993 when they played songs of Dookie during gigs. So now they so care about their image and such rockstars are afraid of youtube? very well.

back to the topic, Tre doesn't care in the video..and they did not care about that in 1993 when they played songs of Dookie during gigs. So now they so care about their image and such rockstars are afraid of youtube? very well.

Well in 93 youtube was not around and people recording them werent a big issue as cell phones at that time were size of a brick and didnt have cameras on them there's a difference

As I said I don't need any help moderating this thread.

In 1993 if someone filmed a Green Day gig you could probably count the number of people who'd see the video on your fingers. Now it would be thousands of people hearing the music that they've carefully crafted for the first time in an extremely crappy form, when they've been used to being able to present their music for the first time however they want for two decades. But there seems to be one thing you're missing........they still played the shows! They still played and let their music be recorded and heard for the first time that way even though it (understandably) made them a bit nervous. They put that nervousness aside and went ahead and did it, so what's the problem?

the problem is that they restrict the freedom of people who went to see them. If they play their crafted songs for audience, it is clear that there can be someone taping it.

I see your point of course, which paraphrases their (BJs) point. They wanted to try the songs but they did not want to share the songs in bad quality. - naive idea that did not work (we had several recordings - yes, shitty - from that shows)

Dude, I'm not gonna write a long and meaningful explanation for a bunch of butthurt people. There's no point of repeating what people have allready said, I find this thread pointless.

same

the problem is that they restrict the freedom of people who went to see them. If they play their crafted songs for audience, it is clear that there can be someone taping it.

I see your point of course, which paraphrases their (BJs) point. They wanted to try the songs but they did not want to share the songs in bad quality. - naive idea that did not work (we had several recordings - yes, shitty - from that shows)

I don't think it was an idea really, they knew if they played them they'd get recorded even if they tried to minimize it (which they do anyway since playing a show to a sea of cameras instead of people getting into the show would be annoying as hell). That's what I'm saying, in the end instead of deciding not to play the shows to protect the songs they said fuck it and did it and let them be heard and recorded. I'm quite impressed and pleased that they did.

So I don't know if you hear it, but he said that he doesn't like when people makes request of old songs. That's not negative at all

Even though Hermione's doing a wonderful job here, just a quick reminder not to be total dicks to each other. Just because someone's opinion differs from yours is not a reason to behave like an idiot.

Play nicely children, or I'll have to take your toys away.

I watched Cuatro, and there is one part where Mike talks about how it bothers him that so many fans yell out to him to play Christie Road, and he says he feels like hitting those people with his bass. He goes on to say those people should go back to 1992.

I was actually very sad to hear him say this. Many fans love Christie Road, and I do not understand why this upsets him. If anything, I would think he would be sick of playing Longview, Basket Case and When I Come Around, since those have been on their setlist ever since Dookie came out. It is a rare treat to hear Christie Road live and I am sure none us mean any disrespect to Mike when any of us yell this out. Maybe he was just having a bad day when this was filmed?

Did anyone else feel this way, or is it just me?

I'm almost certain he was talking about that show specifically when they said they are just playing new songs. It'd be pretty annoying to have people ignore that and request old stuff.

I think people are forgetting that this is a Green Day show, so it's not up to the audience what goes on. They were playing new stuff mostly and if people were getting in their faces or yelling shit for older stuff instead of appreciating the new stuff, let alone what was being played, of course they're gonna get pissed. And Mike is entitled to put that point across; what? Like he can't make a negative comment about the fans as much as the fans can say or do stupid shit against the band?

Whatever you gather, it's not that Mike doesn't like the fans or what they're doing, he is still just human and allowed to be pissed off, even if it's the fans doing it. You would be too, admit it.

I didn't care for his comments for the reasons above; it took me aback, but I understood why.

Jaj is just pissed that no one did record the entirety of the Tiki Bar show. Wouldn't that be a bootleg to have? :dance:

U know what pisses me off is not Mike's negative comment but i once saw Billie wear a pair of shoes with white laces how dare he wear white laces it's supposed to be black laces ill never ever forgive him...

That's funny. Especially since I was just about to switch out my white laces for black.

I think mike regretted allowing them to add that comment. It was just a comment said to a group of friends. They were worried that something that they worked so hard for was not connecting with the fans. They are used to seeing people having musical orgasms when they are on stage and it probably made them feel a little nervous that no one was freaking out. It's hard to get into a song that you are hearing for the first time.

This era was probably the first time we really got to see the real mike. He is super sweet, loyal to his band and family, and tries to connect with all the crazy fans on Instagram. He really stepped up and became the leader when Billie was absent. So what.. One or 2 comments he made put a sour taste in our mouths. It shows that Cuatro wasn't scripted and shows Mike is human.

So I don't know if you hear it, but he said that he doesn't like when people makes request of old songs. That's not negative at all

lol when did he say that?

This. Which it ain't. I've never really understood all the love that song gets.

From the perspective of someone who's in a band, although admittedly with a mere fraction of the songwriting experience over time that Green Day has had, I can honestly say that there are songs from when we first started that I would be somewhat embarrassed to play now. We thought they were amazing at the time, but over the months, our songwriting has gotten better, and we've come to realize our first efforts aren't that great compared to what we came up with later. I'd imagine this is how Mike feels about Christie Road, especially with new material that he wants people to be excited about.

Also, somewhat related. We touched on this a little bit in the thread discussing the tour setlist so far, but the majority of the people at shows are the people who know those big hits, and little else. Again, I can say from personal experience that playing a song of yours and having people sing along who know the words is an amazing feeling. Of course the band needs to play a setlist that appeals to the lowest common denominator, but they also probably want to play a setlist that gets everyone singing along and jumping up and down. Yes, the hardcore fans love Christie Road, but Green Day can't design the vast majority of their setlists for the hardcore fans. They have to cater to the masses, and dare I say, they might be happy to do that if it gets them a riled-up crowd.

I love it :cry:

He smack me with da bass anytime :D

I don't think he was being negative about the song, I don't think he was being negative at all, they were talking about a show to try out the new stuff, I think the comments were about playing all new stuff and not requests.

I don't think it was a negative comment; actually I celebrated when he said that! Like in the other clip when someone seems to ask Billie an old song and he says "No, we're gonna play all new shit" and then that we only have to worry about the future and stuff... They're right. And they love all of their songs, on every single concert they surprised everybody playing an oldie, but enough it's enough! Sometimes is like people ask for other songs 'cause they don't like the new material, what if Green Day feel it that way? Why can't everybody enjoy whatever setlist if they have the opportunity to be at a gig? But lots of them live with songs from the past and that at some point that gets a little boring.

I hope they keep playing more new songs at their shows.

lol when did he say that?

When they are talking about Christie Road but he says that he doesn't like people requesting songs

When they are talking about Christie Road but he says that he doesn't like people requesting songs

In cuatro? He did not. I just watched it to make sure.

In cuatro? He did not. I just watched it to make sure.

Yes that's why this thread is for

I agree with Mike. Sometimes I just want to smack some Green Day fans with a bass.

I agree with Mike. Sometimes I just want to smack some Green Day fans with a bass.

And a drum kit.

Joke or not, it seemed to have a harsh tone to it, hinting that its not a joke, but a light remark or something more. He had that tone that my friends and I have when were talking about something that were sick of, and he didn't bust out into that famous smirk. All in all though, I do say that i'd have to agree with him, not to mention it's a boring song to play on all the instruments, a lot like "Rest"...

Archived