Billie Joe Armstrong to Write Songs for Yale Repertory Theater Show

BillieJoeObsesser

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone have the lyrics for Baby Blue yet? Can't listen until tonight but I'd love to read them ;)

Thanks for writing such an in depth review! Glad you had a great time, sounds really good.

Hi everyone

I'm wondering if there is a way for people to hear or buy the songs, especially if they can't make it to the show?
Maybe they will put out a soundtrack at some point

thanks

Hi everyone

I'm wondering if there is a way for people to hear or buy the songs, especially if they can't make it to the show?

Maybe they will put out a soundtrack at some point

thanks

Hi! Good news, they've actually put recordings/videos of three of the songs on youtube. You can check them out in these threads:

Follow You Around

Baby Blue

Last Time

Hopefully there'll be more. And no idea if it's likely there will be a soundtrack or not but it'd be cool.

• 8 months later...

Connecticut's Best 10 Theater Productions For 2014

So here's my list of the Top 10 shows of 2014, in order of preference:

"These Paper Bullets" at Yale Repertory Theatre, New Haven. Rolin Jones' witty, puckish mash-up of Shakespeare's "Much Ado About Nothing," was set in London in the 1960s and centered on a wildly popular rock band (think Beatles). It may sound like an audacious idea and, well, it was. But it somehow, improbably, delightfully worked in what was the most playful, exuberant show of the season. Jackson Gay's giddy direction, Green Day rocker Billie Joe Armstrong's terrific musical homage (new songs written for the show — and where do I get the record?), and the ever-buoyant cast of mods and rockers resulted in a show brimming with sass, heart and joy. (This production took a top spot by the Connecticut Critics Circle at June's awards ceremony.)

http://www.ctnow.com/entertainment/hc-top-ten-theater-1228-20141228,0,1377286.story

• 7 months later...

James Barry, Damon Daunno, Justin Kirk and Lucas Papaelias to Star in Billie Joe Armstrong's THESE PAPER BULLETS! at the Geffen

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/James-Barry-Damon-Daunno-Justin-Kirk-and-Lucas-Papaelias-to-Star-in-Billie-Joe-Armstrongs-THESE-PAPER-BULLETS-at-the-Geffen-Cast-Announced-20150805#110865

11012648_10153278985078961_4254785182232

Justin Kirk and Nicole Parker Among Cast of Billie Joe Armstrong's New Musical These Paper Bullets! 

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/justin-kirk-and-nicole-parker-among-cast-of-billie-joe-armstrongs-new-musical-these-paper-bullets-356262

James Barry, Damon Daunno, Justin Kirk and Lucas Papaelias to Star in Billie Joe Armstrong's THESE PAPER BULLETS! at the Geffen

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/James-Barry-Damon-Daunno-Justin-Kirk-and-Lucas-Papaelias-to-Star-in-Billie-Joe-Armstrongs-THESE-PAPER-BULLETS-at-the-Geffen-Cast-Announced-20150805

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if it's been discussed, but Dreamcatcher is in it, so Baby Blue is probably the same trilogy outtake. 

Credit: DJ Rosstar at the performance last night.

a47ihd.jpg

Dreamcatcher is in it? Cool! I want a recording now - I'm curious about it. Seemed like a pretty good song. 

This is one of my favorites that we heard before the trilogy.  But I want to hear a BJA version :(  Then again, Amy was also my favorite and then I heard the butchery effect that happened on the album, so maybe it's best left unrecorded and in my dreams.

This is one of my favorites that we heard before the trilogy.  But I want to hear a BJA version :(  Then again, Amy was also my favorite and then I heard the butchery effect that happened on the album, so maybe it's best left unrecorded and in my dreams.

Me too :(yeah, I'm kinda glad it wasn't on the trilogy. I hoped they'd put it on the next, better album :D

Just me that thought Dreamcatcher was an insufferably bland and uninteresting song then?...

I don't think it is that bad, but it OK at best.  However, it does have an early Beatles vide to it so I can see it fitting into this show very well. 

Green Day’s Billie Joe Armstrong, Rolin Jones bring ‘These Paper Bullets!’ to the Geffen

Playwright Rolin Jones flew up to Oakland to meet with Billie Joe Armstrong about collaborating on a project together and as Jones was laying out the idea for a new play with music, fans kept interrupting, asking the Green Day frontman for an autograph. All the while, during the pitch, Jones says the rocker was mostly listening in silence.

“When I finished, he basically just stared at me,” Jones recalls, “and said, ‘Let me get this straight. You’re going to rewrite Shakespeare, and I’m going to rewrite The Beatles.’”

A major part of the puzzle was where do you get Beatle-style songs?

Enter Armstrong.

A short while later, a song popped up on Jones’ computer, a tune Armstrong create in his own studio, doing all the vocals, drums, bass, rhythm and lead guitars himself.

http://www.dailynews.com/arts-and-entertainment/20150911/green-days-billie-joe-armstrong-rolin-jones-bring-these-paper-bullets-to-the-geffen

@mistafinnigan@billiejoearmstrong: thank you so much for taking the time to chat with me and my friends last night. Your music has been and will forever remain very very important to our lives. It only makes it so much greater knowing that you're such a nice guy as well. Cheers!

Archived