SoTW: Longview

HerpDerp44

I never had this special connection to this song besides of it being the one where people were pulled onstage for. Though or maybe especially because of that I agree with the fact of it being legendary.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The music video is simply awesome. I always wanted to play the song at school, but I could've been expelled :S ...incredible bassline, I'm still trying to play it right... :runaround:

The music video is simply awesome. I always wanted to play the song at school, but I could've been expelled :S ...incredible bassline, I'm still trying to play it right... :runaround:

Wow, I thought something like that could only happen in America :mellow:

:woot: Longview is my number one favourite Green Day song! The humourous but also dark lyrics take a unique look at an unusual subject. Instead of just being something to snigger at (which you might expect from a song about wanking) it describes the feelings of boredom and hopelessness in a really clever and honest way. I love the pop punk sound paired with that fabulous experimental jazzy bassline, and the contrast between the minimalist verses and the chorus when the guitar kicks in. And I love the "what you will" thing :D. Funny, dark, honest, quirky, full of energy, unique. Everything I love about Green Day summed up by one song.

I really really like seeing it live too, especially when they pull up random fans to sing (yet another thing I love about Green Day now encapsulated by this song, the way they totally break down the barrier between band and crowd at shows). So much fun! And because of this I find myself imagining being on stage singing it whenever I sing along to it :lol:. Been great seeing various GDCers take the mic and sing it too.

Don't think it was mentioned before, so I'll say that Longview was first performed in Longview, Washington and that's how they came up with the name! :D That's my state!

I've never been to Longview, though...

Thanks. I always wondered how the song got that title.

Thanks. I always wondered how the song got that title.

Yeah! No problem! :happy: I thought it was pretty cool when I found out about that. Because I knew about Longview, Wa and was actually wondering if Green Day's song had anything to do with it and it did!

Billie mentions is in a Twitter post:

https://twitter.com/BJAofficial/status/35415649631223808

Almost 20 years later and I still can't get through the bassline in this song without fucking up :)

Best bassline in any song ever made.

this song made a lot of fans dreams come true.

Great entry but you are missing the first verse. "I sit around and watch the tube but nothings on..."

One of their best songs.. the lyrics are pure genius.Thanks Mike Dirnt.

One of their best songs.. the lyrics are pure genius.Thanks Mike Dirnt.

But Billie Joe wrote the lyrics :lol:

But Billie Joe wrote the lyrics :lol:

Oh fuck, I've grown up with the convinction that Mike did.Fuck my life.

Mike created the awesome bass line strung out on speed on the floor.

I love this song, it's one of the first old school Green Day songs that heard when I got into them.
Me too. My first real Green Day experience was watching Bullet in a Bible, and Longview is the first non American Idiot song on there. I remember thinking "wtf is this?" and it took me a while to get into it. But now I love it.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I thought something like that could only happen in America :mellow:

hahaha...what happened was that I had an English class back in High School. Just imagine if I had started to sing about masturbation in my Catholic HS, my Eng. teacher would have had a serious conversation with me, hahahaha :lol: (don't misinterpret me; I loved to study there) :cool:

Best bassline in any song ever made.

this song made a lot of fans dreams come true.

Great entry but you are missing the first verse. "I sit around and watch the tube but nothings on..."

gah sorry, my copy and pasting skills obviously need to be worked on

Archived