Billie Joe on the cover of Rolling Stone "The Road Back From Hell"

Sanity Loan

The interview got me thinking that the band might do something extra special in 2014...... ;) maybe an acoustic album?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The interview got me thinking that the band might do something extra special in 2014...... ;) maybe an acoustic album?

Maybe something for the Dookie AI anniversaries but I doubt it. I think they'll just tour for a while. It will be interesting since I think he said he drank before every show since Nimrod...

Same. He called himself a functioning alcoholic. To read this and see how bad it had gotten, I'd say "functioning" was an understatement. I mean, we all knew they liked to party. We've seen Foxboro shows. But when you hear him talk about it, and think back to Mike's early comments that he was "worried for his friend's life" it's kind of scary to realize just how bad it had gotten.

I think it's just amazing how far he's come since then. Only months after hitting rock bottom, he has already recovered and is about to embark on a legitimate, official GREEN DAY TOUR.

Did you mean overstatement?

Even though they want to take it slow. Honestly I would not be surprised to see the "rehab" album being released late 2014 early 2015.

Billie is always writing songs. I think recording will keep his mind off the drinking and his other issues.

Awesome interview. Great question, great honest answers. I can't believe he said he thought Tré may have been too scared to talk to him at one point. Billie has great people around him and that gives him the best chance of staying sober.

Even though I worry, I really love that he said sometimes he isn't quite sure that he's ready for the tour and stuff. The fact that he's nervous and cautious makes me feel about 1000% better that he and everyone around him will keep watch that he's on the straight and narrow. I think deep down, one of my biggest fears was that he'd come back and be like "Oh yeah, I'm fine now, its all good." The thought of that horrified me, that he'd downplay it or be overly confident that he'd be fine from here on out. His worrying, to me, sounds like a very healthy, good thing.

Awesome interview. Great question, great honest answers. I can't believe he said he thought Tré may have been too scared to talk to him at one point. Billie has great people around him and that gives him the best chance of staying sober.

That sounds about right. I can't imagine Tre being someone who enjoys dealing with serious situations.

just read the article.. very brave of billie joe to speak about this now. one thing that surprised me was the "meditation through prayer" bit.. i never got the impression that he was religious at all. could anyone enlighten me?

just read the article.. very brave of billie joe to speak about this now. one thing that surprised me was the "meditation through prayer" bit.. i never got the impression that he was religious at all. could anyone enlighten me?

Took me a bit by surprise too. I don't want to read too much into it though, because he didn't expand on it, we don't know what that means.

This is amazing. I freaked when I found out in class. I new this cover story was coming but still, it is incredible. Congrats to Billie Joe for all that he has accomplished and all he will continue to accomplish. I've got such a good feeling about it all.

Green Day is back.

That could honestly mean many things.

Matt Bellamy from muse has no affiliation of a religion. However on multiple songs he brings up god. He also meditates/prays when he's writing songs

Doesn't neccesarily mean religion. Could just be deep in thought. I didn't read the article yet though, just a guess.

What a great article and i think it will take me a few more reads to take it all in. I'm lost for words.

Doesn't neccesarily mean religion. Could just be deep in thought. I didn't read the article yet though, just a guess.

i guess.. but then that would just be meditation. prayer implies god. i mean, church on sunday is one of my favorite songs and i know billie joe has said that he finds religious (especially catholic) icons fascinating. but i didn't think he personally was religious. i didn't mean to overanalyze this one comment, but was curious if any superfan out there knew something i didn't. thanks for the replies!

I kind of took it as he's more or less taking his recovery by his own mental state (if that makes any sense?) Like, I don't know if he actually meant prayer in the literal sense or if he meant prayer as a metaphor for self-reliance.

Same. He called himself a functioning alcoholic. To read this and see how bad it had gotten, I'd say "functioning" was an understatement. I mean, we all knew they liked to party. We've seen Foxboro shows. But when you hear him talk about it, and think back to Mike's early comments that he was "worried for his friend's life" it's kind of scary to realize just how bad it had gotten.

Well, I am sure we're all happy that even tho it was worse than we knew, it went in the direction it did. I am grateful to whoever it was who got him to check himself into rehab, and grateful to Billie Joe himself that he was strong enough to do this for himself. I think it is definitely scary to think about all the things that happened and could've happened, but also it's prob a but scary for him for the future. He's gonna need a whole lotta love and support now more than ever.

so no more Foxboro Hot Tubs shows I guess... did he talk about The foxboro???

I'll say it again: The Rev died at iHeart. BJ simply can never touch another drop of alcohol, and with that goes 70% of what FBHT is built on. :cry:

My god, i just read the hole article and...... i´m in tears but i´m very proud to see that Billie it´s fine and that he´s dealing with the demons in his mind and body. I´m very happy that he´s back, i can´t wait to see him on the stage with those two other mens making history. This article is kind of depressing but it makes you realized how human he is, and that´s just beautiful.

By the way, my favorite part was that hole thing about being in Green Day at 60 years old, and the Rolling Stones.... I´m very very happy that Billie is back, and now i love him more than ever <3

I think a person can believe in God and/or pray even if he's not "religious." Prayer doesn't have to be part of any specific religion or whatever.

Okay, I just read the "too early for a rehab album" part. I hadn't seen those scans yet.

It sounds like he's dissatisfied with the production of the Trilogy. He wouldn't be the only one, to me it's the Trilogy's greatest flaw.

fuck should I read it now online or wait to get the aritcle? I don't know what to do!

I don't understand why you people are all crying and stuff...

I'm feeling kinda sad for Billie but I never wanna feel sympathy for anyone and as also Billie said he don't want people to feel like that for him.

I just feel glad he is in such a good way to overcome those problems he has had since so many years.

I always think about that quote of Billie's from Behind the Music "I don't want to be some 40 year old child, I don't think my wife wants a child, and my kids don't want a child they want a father..." it's like 40 hit and yep, time to grow up and out of those bad habits, because they cause very childish behaviors that are far more serious.

I also remember some interview with someone talking about Green Day where they described how after Warning/naked leopard thong-fat Billie era, he was tired of being everyone's drunk Uncle and wanted people to take him a little more seriously, which is why the AI era was so professional and clean (despite the floor humping, which was done oh-so-artistically). So this last bit has been sort of a throwback to old Green Day, which is entertaining until you realize that yeah, maybe at this age, regression isn't such a good habit.

And in that we now understand Sex Drugs & Violence.

Archived