Unpopular Green Day Opinions

Kayfabe

Don't get me started. Seriously. For now I'll leave it at a) they're the most overrated band ever and b) if it's to believed that they invented rock n roll as we know it, which they really didn't, it's an affront to every band who have ever existed since then to say they're still the best band ever. Apart from that, only two of their songs are actually any good.

The only songs of theirs I even like are I Am The Walrus and Twist & Shout. Not even sure if T & S is their song.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't get me started. Seriously. For now I'll leave it at a) they're the most overrated band ever and b) if it's to believed that they invented rock n roll as we know it, which they really didn't, it's an affront to every band who have ever existed since then to say they're still the best band ever. Apart from that, only two of their songs are actually any good.

I agree people give them way too much credit, and they didn't invent rock and roll as we know it, but I still find their work quite good. Their later stuff sucked though (not to sound hipster). John Lennon made it far too political and opinionated. Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club band is one of my favorite albums to listen to. I agree they are overrated, but that doesn't make them inherently bad.

The only songs of theirs I even like are I Am The Walrus and Twist & Shout. Not even sure if T & S is their song.

Twist and Shout is an Isley Brother's cover. Beatles did it better IMO.

Apart from that, only two of their songs are actually any good.

I--I--DEFRGTHYUJKNBHVGCFTHYFRJUNCXDEMKI

Ban yourself pronto

Personally, American Idiot and 21st CBD never has touched me or related to me like it has to so many others. I'm glad it's helped others through tough times but nothing on those albums did much for me. I didnt care for the way it's a story. I relate more to the 90s albums. And I liked the trilogy :lol: just my opinion. It's nice that green day has so many different style albums and songs because it reaches out to a wider variety of fans! I just never got really into AI.

You live in America right? I can't imagine not relating to Holiday/AI and living in America :P Although the songs have universal themes.

Also the Beatles early stuff is basically One Direction.

Yeah I said it.

My favorite live version of Letterbomb is from when they were on Compd during the AI era. I remember watching that whole performance on TV and its still one of my favorite concerts from them. Especially Homecoming. TO anyone who hasn't seen it, youtube it, its awesome

The issue I have with this is that the general attitude of the Trilogy seems forced. Previous albums all seem very organic, but the themes of a lot of the songs on the Trilogy, particularly Dos, seem to be kind of tryhard. It almost feels like they're saying "We're not all serious and boring and political like the last two albums suggested, wooooo sex and alcohol." If anything, it sounds like they're trying to be reckless "I don't give a shit" teenagers, as you put it, and it's because it's forced that it falls down. It needs to be believable, which is why the earlier albums are so believable and the Trilogy isn't.

I don't get how it seems forced. How can anyone have any idea if it was forced unless the band says so or you're psychic? None of the lyrics on the Trilogy sound like they're written by teenagers, they're about adult themes, knowing you're supposed to be a responsible adult but at the same time wanting to give into temptations, giving in to them, and the eventual consequences. There's no teenage vibe to the album, just a mid life crisis vibe which I'd say is very fitting for a 40 year old rock star with family ties and substance issues. I don't see why they'd need to "tryhard" to write about sex and alcohol and have some fun, sounds like an enjoyable thing to do to me and looking at Cuatro it seems like it came very easily and naturally. Much more so than with making, for example, 21st CB, which was dragged out and miserable at times.

The band make some albums more spontaneously than ever, that are more simple, fun and saucy than ever but still with plenty of trademark Green Day darker themes as well, and appear to be loving it in the documentary about it, and it seems forced? Sure it isn't just that you don't happen to think the albums are very good?

I don't get how it seems forced.

Exactly why I have an issue with people saying it's forced, because the process so obviously wasn't. If people didn't identify with the trilogy, okay, but to say it's forced or lacks inspiration just isn't true.

More like, what ISN'T wrong with KYE, other than it being a good way to pump yourself up before you go commit random acts of violence and/or bang your head against the wall.

lol alright what about when its played live??

It's okay live because the interaction between Billie and the crowd spices it up, but on its own it's just repetitive and boring.

fair enough :P :P

I don't get how it seems forced. How can anyone have any idea if it was forced unless the band says so or you're psychic? None of the lyrics on the Trilogy sound like they're written by teenagers, they're about adult themes, knowing you're supposed to be a responsible adult but at the same time wanting to give into temptations, giving in to them, and the eventual consequences. There's no teenage vibe to the album, just a mid life crisis vibe which I'd say is very fitting for a 40 year old rock star with family ties and substance issues. I don't see why they'd need to "tryhard" to write about sex and alcohol and have some fun, sounds like an enjoyable thing to do to me and looking at Cuatro it seems like it came very easily and naturally. Much more so than with making, for example, 21st CB, which was dragged out and miserable at times.

The band make some albums more spontaneously than ever, that are more simple, fun and saucy than ever but still with plenty of trademark Green Day darker themes as well, and appear to be loving it in the documentary about it, and it seems forced? Sure it isn't just that you don't happen to think the albums are very good?

Why do you have to offer such a convincing argument? :lol:

I don't think it's got anything to do with not thinking the albums are very good, there are loads of reasons why I dislike them without going into things like intention etc. But I think there's a difference between the process and the actual content of the songs, if that makes sense. For them to go from the mature, complex songwriting that brought us American Idiot and Breakdown to a song like Stop When The Red Lights Flash just doesn't sit right with me. Previously everything has been very well crafted and thought out, which naturally leads to better songs as far as I'm concerned, and as such a lot of the Trilogy stuff seems kind of throwaway. I've always really believed in what they've done, especially lyrically, since all of Billie's lyrics have been either deeply personal or political, and very authentic as a result, or tongue in cheek. But some of the Trilogy lyrics seem really hollow and don't connect with me in any way. To go back to the Red Lights example, there's nothing about that lyric that says "I mean this," to me. It just seems very strange to me, since it's the first time I've ever failed to connect with Green Day songs. It's quite disconcerting in a way.

I feel like now is a good time to point out that I don't hate the Trilogy as much as a lot of people here seem to think. I like four songs on Uno, two of which are easily amongst the best they've ever done, kind of like two on Dos and hate the rest, and love most of Tre. So there we go.

The fact that they released three albums and didn't put Olivia and Dreamcatcher on any of them, pains me haha

Ehhhh I'm glad they didn't put either of those songs on the Trilogy. They have potential, and it'd be a shame to bury them in that pile of wank.

haha fair enough

I've just realised in Oh love, it should be "tonight my dicks on the loose"

Okay maybe none of the lyrics sound like they were written by a teenager per se but they're so weak and nonsense its like a bad joke. I wish I felt the way you do about the themes of being an adult but wanting to give in to temptation but I think you mostly feel that way cause the band said it's there. There's really only a handful of songs that ring true to that theme while most of them sound like a drunken asshole. Makeout Party? Troublemaker? A slew of others. Easily the worst shit Billie's ever written. I will agree it might not have been "forced" in the way they had to push themselves to their limits for AI and Breakdown but instead of forced it was half assed. As Mike said in Cuatro "I'm not above going for an easy A". That to them was simple songs with simple lyrics that ultimately were average at best. And I do feel like they forced themselves to make simple punk styled music and it all sounds uninspired. There's a difference between forcing themselves to keep going further and pushing out the best shit they can and forcing themselves to make the type of music they were once known for. That's what felt forced. Not to mention it felt rush and its pretty obvious Billie wasn't in his right mind. And I'm one of the people that defends his use but the quality of their work did suffer. It seems to be about Billie going off the rails in the worst sense, not like Insomniac or their other songs about substances where they were totally aware of it, the trilogy's like Billie has no idea how fucked up he really is. But you're right it does feel like a midlife crisis and I actually like that about it but just imagine if it had been good instead. Their usual quality and standards instead of three albums of half assed material.

And I did like the idea of not doing another opera and having more like classic GD, as much as I loved AI and 21st but the trilogy's not on par with everything else they've done

i used to think the trilogy was alright, or at least try to think so, but now i really don't like it :( sure, there are songs on there that i enjoy listening to, but as full albums, they're honestly the worst records they've made.

and to be honest, they give me a bad feeling.

I, too, felt that the trilogy seemed forced. They've always been good about mixing humor with real issues - personal, political, social, or otherwise. To my mind, they've always been a band that more so mocked the rockstar lifestyle instead of living it (as in, in the Holiday video, the dancing girls weren't meant to be taken seriously). The trilogy, however, was very serious about the drugs, sex, and rock 'n' roll. It was overall a pretty humorless set of albums, and that's not like Green Day at all. The Holiday girls were a joke. The Oh Love girls were the real deal, and that bothered me tremendously.

The trilogy felt forced to me because it felt like they were REALLY trying to prove that they weren't too grown up after making two political albums. But in trying to prove how they could still let loose and have fun, they managed to take that way too seriously, and it wasn't fun at all (for me).

I don't know... Green Day is so great at evolving. And as they got older, I felt albums like American Idiot and 21CB were an excellent step in the right direction - they were both clever, masterfully written albums that I think they should be very proud of. And I noticed that they, not just as musicians, but as people, seemed to become a lot more mature during those eras. And it was a good thing. After all, when you're 40 and have teenagers of your own, there's no harm in growing up and evolving.

I'd get awfully tired of their music if they continued making the same music they did when they were 20. I think the trilogy was a huge step backward, particularly in terms of writing. They don't need to write sharp political commentary all the time or anything, but many of the trilogy songs just sounded very juvenile to me. And as someone who really isn't into the whole "drugs, sex and rock 'n' roll' scene, and who loved Green Day so much because they WEREN'T that type of band, I felt very alienated. It didn't resonate with me at all, and Green Day's music always resonates with me. There are some excellent songs scattered throughout, but overall, I don't like the final product. It's not the band I fell in love with.

Sorry, that was a bit long-winded. This trilogy drove a major wedge between me and Green Day, so I tend to get rather rant-y about it. In short, I think it was forced because even if the recording happened organically, the themes of the trilogy felt like they were really out to prove something. And over the years I've come to accept that Green Day is often trying to prove something with their albums (that they're still punk, that they're adults, that they're not too grown up, etc). But this time, it didn't sit well with me.

Why do you have to offer such a convincing argument? :lol:

I don't think it's got anything to do with not thinking the albums are very good, there are loads of reasons why I dislike them without going into things like intention etc. But I think there's a difference between the process and the actual content of the songs, if that makes sense. For them to go from the mature, complex songwriting that brought us American Idiot and Breakdown to a song like Stop When The Red Lights Flash just doesn't sit right with me. Previously everything has been very well crafted and thought out, which naturally leads to better songs as far as I'm concerned, and as such a lot of the Trilogy stuff seems kind of throwaway. I've always really believed in what they've done, especially lyrically, since all of Billie's lyrics have been either deeply personal or political, and very authentic as a result, or tongue in cheek. But some of the Trilogy lyrics seem really hollow and don't connect with me in any way. To go back to the Red Lights example, there's nothing about that lyric that says "I mean this," to me. It just seems very strange to me, since it's the first time I've ever failed to connect with Green Day songs. It's quite disconcerting in a way.

I feel like now is a good time to point out that I don't hate the Trilogy as much as a lot of people here seem to think. I like four songs on Uno, two of which are easily amongst the best they've ever done, kind of like two on Dos and hate the rest, and love most of Tre. So there we go.

See I think the lyrics in Stop When The Red Lights Flash are supposed to be hollow, they're describing a night of hollow debauchery. I think that's real, feeling lust and temptation and toying with the idea of what it'd be like to give into it, plus it sets things up for the reflective aftermath later on. The lyrics ring true to me so I can't really see it that way. Just seems like it's more about whether you think the lyrics are good or not, if you think they're good they'll probably ring true and if you don't they probably won't :lol:

Okay maybe none of the lyrics sound like they were written by a teenager per se but they're so weak and nonsense its like a bad joke. I wish I felt the way you do about the themes of being an adult but wanting to give in to temptation but I think you mostly feel that way cause the band said it's there. There's really only a handful of songs that ring true to that theme while most of them sound like a drunken asshole. Makeout Party? Troublemaker? A slew of others. Easily the worst shit Billie's ever written. I will agree it might not have been "forced" in the way they had to push themselves to their limits for AI and Breakdown but instead of forced it was half assed. As Mike said in Cuatro "I'm not above going for an easy A". That to them was simple songs with simple lyrics that ultimately were average at best. And I do feel like they forced themselves to make simple punk styled music and it all sounds uninspired. There's a difference between forcing themselves to keep going further and pushing out the best shit they can and forcing themselves to make the type of music they were once known for. That's what felt forced. Not to mention it felt rush and its pretty obvious Billie wasn't in his right mind. And I'm one of the people that defends his use but the quality of their work did suffer. It seems to be about Billie going off the rails in the worst sense, not like Insomniac or their other songs about substances where they were totally aware of it, the trilogy's like Billie has no idea how fucked up he really is. But you're right it does feel like a midlife crisis and I actually like that about it but just imagine if it had been good instead. Their usual quality and standards instead of three albums of half assed material.

And I did like the idea of not doing another opera and having more like classic GD, as much as I loved AI and 21st but the trilogy's not on par with everything else they've done

I think the lyrics are great. Fuck Time, Makeout Party and Troublemaker (and maybe Lady Cobra/Nightlife) are the only songs that stand out to me as having totally silly lyrics, but even then it's deliberate, some tongue in cheek humour. And in the context of the albums there's a deeper level to them, Fuck Time an amusing parody of 60s songs that were really about sex but never said so explicitly, Troublemaker the mischievous character out looking for fun without thinking of the consequences, and Makeout Party the unadulterated rush of giving into temptation before the inevitable aftermath. And Lady Cobra and Nightlife a fun story of the night before the morning after told through some awesome garage rock and interesting little rap experiment. Yeah it sounds like it's a drunken arsehole being portrayed at times but it's supposed to, that's part of the story of letting the temptations of sex, drugs and rock and roll get the best of you.

As for the other songs there's a wealth of both clever one liners and thoughtful personal lyrics in there, don't really know what to say if you think they're just weak nonsense except I strongly disagree :lol:. As I've said before I really wish Green Day had done interviews and talked about more of the songs because I think there's a lot more meaning in the lyrics than people are giving them credit for in this thread. And they didn't go back and try to recreate the past either, yes they went in a simpler direction but it was a new simpler direction of dirty rock and roll that they haven't been in before not a rehash of anything. Even if you do just think they're bad, have you watched Cuatro? Honestly don't get how anyone could watch that and say the albums were uninspired however low their opinion of them. I don't think they'd bother writing or releasing music if it didn't come from an inspired place.

I actually think the lyrics to Troublemaker are quite witty

I agree! It has my favourite line of the albums, "I wouldn't say I'm straight 'cause I'm bent out of shape". Pure wit (and badassery :D) right there. And even the use of silly/nonsense lyrics in the song is witty ("I like your BMXcellent tits" being the best example). Paints a colourful and amusing picture of this Troublemaker character that he fancies himself as.

The "BMXcellent tits" line would be awful if your creepy 11 year old brother wrote it. Why is it good coming from a 40 year old married man?

And even the use of silly/nonsense lyrics in the song is witty ("I like your BMXcellent tits" being the best example).

What.

I don't even know what "BMxcellent tits" are supposed to be, and I'm convinced that anyone who says they know what Billie's referring to there is lying.

Maybe they're tits the size of BMX wheels? Or something.

Archived