Unpopular Green Day Opinions

Kayfabe

Jesus, next time I will make finger quotes much more obvious, mkay? Why do you seem to think this one comment was directed at YOU in particular when there were, idunno, 5-6 other people also talking about it? To be honest, it wasn't about you at ALL, I hadn't even read your comments about it. Don't continue, I'd prefer it. But try to not fly off the handle over 2-3 words in quotes that were clearly not meant to be taken seriously.

I don't. I don't know why you think I'm so angry and upset about this, because I'm really not. I don't know why you think I thought it was personally directed at me either. I wasn't flying off the handle, either. I'm sorry I didn't use six million emoticon smiley faces and lols when I replied to you because that's not usually how I do things. I'm sorry if I come off as a bitch.

I really am not trying to be a dick to you, I'm not. I'm not trying to be an elitist or "fly off the handle" either. I just didn't understand the way you phrased something and how it related to what people were discussing. I'm sorry.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm. I don't think talking about older Green Day is punk elitism, in this case at least.

Also, I'd like to add in that I don't think the "Hey oh"s should stop. It does make for great crowd interaction. When he first starts up, I think they're wonderful. I have an extremely short attention span though, which is why I don't personally like it when it goes on for a long period of time.

I can see how it can be interpreted as elitism, but I don't necessarily agree. There are a lot of fans who love the punk stuff and dislike the new stuff. Then there are the people that love the rock operas and dislike the rest of the catalog. It's an interesting rift in Green Day fans. I fell in love of Green Day because of the punk stuff but I love it all. I agree that "Arena" Green Day is the best live form of Green Day.

I can see how it can be interpreted as elitism, but I don't necessarily agree. There are a lot of fans who love the punk stuff and dislike the new stuff. Then there are the people that love the rock operas and dislike the rest of the catalog. It's an interesting rift in Green Day fans. I fell in love of Green Day because of the punk stuff but I love it all. I agree that "Arena" Green Day is the best live form of Green Day.

If I came off as hating "new" Green Day because I dislike the "Hey Oh!"s than I didn't mean to do that. American Idiot was the first CD I ever bought. I love the "new" arena Green Day as much as I love the old punk Green Day. I wouldn't consider it elitism unless someone outright said "Punk Green Day is better. The new material is horrible and I hate it because it's not punk."

Also, if Sensei's reading this and I came off as a dick because I didn't explain I like both new and old Green Day, then I apologize for that. I should have been a bit more clear.

I was away tending to *cough* important matters not on meme sites. I don't think I have any more unpopular opinions though. After reading this thread (which has continued to a staggering 47 pages!) I'm starting to question how many of the opinions on here are that unpopular!
Oh I might have one.

I enjoy Billies solo work on the trilogy immensely. It's short and not too over the top, something a lot of modern guitarists do too often. Coming from a guy who loves Disturbed this seems a bit odd, but I always loved the solos in Green Days catalog that just followed the vocal melodies. My favorite song on Warning being Waiting isn't much of a shocker than.

I was away tending to *cough* important matters not on meme sites. I don't think I have any more unpopular opinions though. After reading this thread (which has continued to a staggering 47 pages!) I'm starting to question how many of the opinions on here are that unpopular!

Oh I might have one.

I enjoy Billies solo work on the trilogy immensely. It's short and not too over the top, something a lot of modern guitarists do too often. Coming from a guy who loves Disturbed this seems a bit odd, but I always loved the solos in Green Days catalog that just followed the vocal melodies. My favorite song on Warning being Waiting isn't much of a shocker than.

I've been wondering how many of these opinions are unpopular too :lol: About half the fan base shares an opinion and the other half has the other opinion haha.

I agree on the solo thing though. I'm not usually one for guitar solos, but I love the ones Billie did on the trilogy. I love a lot of Billie's solo guitar work, actually. Even the ones on 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours.

I've been wondering how many of these opinions are unpopular too :lol: About half the fan base shares an opinion and the other half has the other opinion haha.

I agree on the solo thing though. I'm not usually one for guitar solos, but I love the ones Billie did on the trilogy. I love a lot of Billie's solo guitar work, actually. Even the ones on 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours.

I've noticed it's really one way, or another.

I've noticed a lot of people on here calling his trilogy solos "piss poor" and other things of the sort. Again, I'm not sure what they were expecting from this group. BJ has never been a big "shredder". I'm not saying he can't, he just doesn't really incorporate that into the music.

Yeah I mean does Minority have to be taken from 2:49 to 12:31 with 10 mins of hhheeeeeyyyyy ooohhhhssss?

I dont mind an occasional hey ohs but he does go overboard sometimes

I've noticed it's really one way, or another.

I've noticed a lot of people on here calling his trilogy solos "piss poor" and other things of the sort. Again, I'm not sure what they were expecting from this group. BJ has never been a big "shredder". I'm not saying he can't, he just doesn't really incorporate that into the music.

Well, the solos aren't the "stereotypical" guitar solo. I can understand why people would think they're not that great, I guess, but it goes well with the music and it doesn't sound like Axl Rose throwing up on Slash's guitar or anything so I like 'em.

Yeah I mean does Minority have to be taken from 2:49 to 12:31 with 10 mins of hhheeeeeyyyyy ooohhhhssss?

Yep, that's how I feel. :D

Yes, he does O_O

It's my favorite part of the live shows. I suppose this could stem from my love of Daft Punk live shows, where no song is the same as the studio version, sometimes they're entirely different. It's the variation I enjoy, you see?

Does anyone else wonder if the band ever gets on this thread? I'd find it hilarious if they did it just to bring down their confidence when they feel pigheaded XD

Oh I might have one.

I agree i enjoy the solos escp the trilogy he should keep em up on whatever they do next

The 10 minute version of Minority on Bullet in a Bible is the best thing from that DVD. That fact that they chopped it out of the CD version is complete and utter bullshit.

Yes, he does O_O

It's my favorite part of the live shows. I suppose this could stem from my love of Daft Punk live shows, where no song is the same as the studio version, sometimes they're entirely different. It's the variation I enjoy, you see?

I agree i love it when groups change up the songs for shows

But if u listen to the 21st bootlegs you cant really tell that much difference between the shows they extended songs talks and hey ohs all the sound exactly the same like scripted the 2012 shows are a bit better tho they are still an excellent group to see live

I hope that the next Green Day album has a song with Mike on vocals.

Better yet, I hope there's a song with Jason on vocals.

I hope that the next Green Day album has a song with Mike on vocals.

Better yet, I hope there's a song with Jason on vocals.

Please please please! Jason on vocals would be a cause for celebration. Or a Jason/Billie duet akin to On the Ave might make my heart explode.

Oh please, no Jason on vocals. I really do not like much of anything Jason has done musically. That's an unpopular opinion, I do not like Jason White. Not personally of course, I don't know him! But I dislike him in any "public" manner that we've been given. It's a very unpopular opinion.

Alright I'll give this one a go...

- They are not a hard-core punk rock band. They have the personality of punk rockers, but their music is pop-punk, pop, or i guess alternative...

- I feel like the trilogy is missing something. Some songs are good... but c'mon. No way are they "at their highest creativity point".

- Nimrod is fucking genius

- 21cb is not horrible. But not their best. As a follow-up to AI and the lack of Rob's presence, it was as good as it was gonna get. Also, 21 Guns is way overrated. It's ok- but nothing special

- Dookie is good but has a lot of duds.

- AI will always be their most popular album (Dookie as a close second). There is not much we can do about that, but it's the album almost every non-Green Day fan knows.

The recording quality of Awesome as Fuck kind of sucks ass in my opinion.

And Bullet In A Bible has bad video production. Aside from the awesome documentary segments, the filters are annoying and the fact that the entire set wasn't used is incredibly disappointing. That's not how a band should do a live record when taken from one venue.

Ohmygod thank you. Bullet in a Bible filters were annoying as fuck... It gives me a headache watching it. I love to watch it because they are perfection live, but the editing sucked ass.

What a fabulous idea! Jason and Billie's voices are beautiful together

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_xyiay8FEU

They compliment each other so well. I've love to hear some Jason on a Green Day track.

And don't panic, Green Day have had people who aren't even in the band at all guest singing on songs before (Lady Cobra and Kathleen Hanna), so whatever your opinion of Jason's position in the band it wouldn't have to be cause for alarm :P

THOSE ARE MY FAVOURITE HEY-OHS!

:lol:

On the Jason matter,

I like it when you can hear Jason's voice live, I loved it at the VMAs for example, during Let Yourself Go! =D

But my favourite Jason is Mr. Freese :shy:

I hate Jason Freese.

He kinda ruins some shows for me. The piano sucks and doesn't fit into songs like "East Jesus Nowhere". And I think he's very arrogant.

I absolutely love Amy, apart from when the key changes at 1:54 =/

It's not one of my faves but that's why green day are so great they have a variety with there style :)

Really? A lot of songs like East Jesus Nowhere you can't even really hear the piano in so idk why it happens. I've met him a couple times now and he was incredibly nice every time, he's never struck me as arrogant at all. I met him and Tre at the same time once and he was much friendlier than Tre was.

I never met him. I just think, that he looks very arrogant doring their shows, you know?

And at some points of the songs you can hear his piano and that just pisses me of.

Isn't that what being a musician is about? Looking arrogant while on stage because you're trying to own it? :P

Archived