Unpopular Green Day Opinions

Kayfabe

6 chords :P

It's not even the technicality thing anymore, it's just that GD basically do the same thing all the time, and I've gotten a bit sick of it. Listening to a band pretty much everyday for 10 years will do that, y'know?

Yeah, I can understand that. I got into a load of other bands after 21st Century Breakdown came out, I didn't listen to them at all for over two years until just before the Brixton gig. I think that's partly why the Trilogy got so slated generally, it took them a decade to release two albums and by the time Uno came out a lot of people had played everything else to death, so we needed something fresh and new. So not getting it was a huge turnoff.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I can understand that. I got into a load of other bands after 21st Century Breakdown came out, I didn't listen to them at all for over two years until just before the Brixton gig. I think that's partly why the Trilogy got so slated generally, it took them a decade to release two albums and by the time Uno came out a lot of people had played everything else to death, so we needed something fresh and new. So not getting it was a huge turnoff.

Didn't help that the Trilogy didn't really stand up to heavy or repeated listening either. I must have listened to Biffy's Opposites over 150 times this year, but Dos only got a single play before being consigned to the bottom of the album pile. Telling.

Didn't help that the Trilogy didn't really stand up to heavy or repeated listening either. I must have listened to Biffy's Opposites over 150 times this year, but Dos only got a single play before being consigned to the bottom of the album pile. Telling.

That's what happens with two guitars, bass and drums as opposed to layer upon layer of generally interesting shit, like 21CB.

That's what happens with two guitars, bass and drums as opposed to layer upon layer of generally interesting shit, like 21CB.

Can't even blame that. Jawbreaker's Dear You must be nearing 100 spins too, and that's only one guitar, bass, and drums :P

Can't even blame that. Jawbreaker's Dear You must be nearing 100 spins too, and that's only one guitar, bass, and drums :P

Good point. Or, er, pre-AI Green Day. Yeah that was a terrible point, pretend I never said anything. :P

Good point. Or, er, pre-AI Green Day. Yeah that was a terrible point, pretend I never said anything. :P

Yep, just gotta face facts. The Trilogy sucked, and put a lot of fans off GD. Oh well.

Maybe this is GD sneakily trying to make us listen to better music :P

Yep, just gotta face facts. The Trilogy sucked, and put a lot of fans of GD. Oh well.

Maybe this is GD sneakily trying to make us listen to better music :P

Well I guess Warning's dismal performance made American Idiot seem even more epic than it was. Maybe they're setting us up for that kind of shock again. Or not.

Well I guess Warning's dismal performance made American Idiot seem even more epic than it was. Maybe they're setting us up for that kind of shock again. Or not.

The chances of that are so minuscule that it's ridiculous and you know it :P

Having two massive classic albums is something most big bands struggle to do once, nevermind twice.

The chances of that are so minuscule that it's ridiculous and you know it :P

Having two massive classic albums is something most big bands struggle to do once, nevermind twice.

There is that. So there's also the fact that we've been really spoilt and it's only fair to expect their standards to have fallen. It's the same with people being disappointed in their shows on the latest tour, because the 21CB tour was spectacular, but an exception.

Well Rock N Roll Girlfriend is supposed to be a letter from an old friend (probably from the famed "Underbelly") basically saying how great his life is and stop bothering him with his problems. It's like a kick while your down towards Jimmy/Jesus and I think that's the only point it makes other than giving Tre his due and since he wrote it you can't expect much more than a silly moment.

There is that. So there's also the fact that we've been really spoilt and it's only fair to expect their standards to have fallen. It's the same with people being disappointed in their shows on the latest tour, because the 21CB tour was spectacular, but an exception.

tldr GD had to get shit sometime :P

Blue was Billie Joe's best hair colour. I know that this has nothing to do with Green Day really, I just wanted to declare my undying love for his blue hair.

On another note, Dirty Rotten Bastards is perhaps the best Green Day song ever written, along with Fuck Time and One Of My Lies.

Blue was Billie Joe's best hair colour. I know that this has nothing to do with Green Day really, I just wanted to declare my undying love for his blue hair.

On another note, Dirty Rotten Bastards is perhaps the best Green Day song ever written, along with Fuck Time and One Of My Lies.

Honest question: Have you only heard 3 Green Day songs?

.......................................................what.

You've not heard Lazy Bones then :P

Honest question: Have you only heard 3 Green Day songs?

lol

.......................................................what.

No I haven't only listened to 3 thank god. Let me explain myself. I like songs with a lot of variation and also I really enjoy Billie Joe's voice in Dirty Rotten Bastards, so that's the reason for that. Again, I enjoy his voice the most out of all songs in Fuck Time and I think it's a funky little song so there is my choice in that and One Of My Lies, to me, signals what early Green Day were about. It just makes me feel very happy and young and I enjoy listening to it tremendously. When I say best song ever written I'm talking about for me, for how much I enjoy listening to them :) There are obviously many more songs that are on parr with these in my mind BUT this is the unpopular opinions thread so I thought screw it I'll post those ones.

You've not heard Lazy Bones then :P

I am honestly kicking myself for not listing this because that song makes me cry like a child.

And the award for most unpopular opinion goes to...!

One of My Lies is fucking amazing song, but the other two... ehhh. A mess of a 6 minuter that doesn't really go anywhere and a FBH cover that always was a poor mans Fire? Not even sure they'd make my top 100.

So is Dirty Rotten Bastards generally disliked then? Thought it was just me. Yawn.

There seems to be this insane core of the fanbase that worships it, and then there's everyone else who's decidedly "meh" about it.

There seems to be this insane core of the fanbase that worships it, and then there's everyone else who's decidedly "meh" about it.

Ah ok, unsurprising really. It's not even like it's bad, I do like the Shoplifter ripoff even though it sounds like a Christmas song, and Mike's bass playing on it is fucking immense. But the bits just don't work together, so it's weaker than the sum of its parts. I get the impression they took into account the popularity of JOS, Homecoming, 21st Century Breakdown and American Eulogy and thought "shit, we need another one of those, quick."

Ah ok, unsurprising really. It's not even like it's bad, I do like the Shoplifter ripoff even though it sounds like a Christmas songs, and Mike's bass playing on it is fucking immense. But the bits just don't work together, so it's weaker than the sum of its parts. I get the impression they took into account the popularity of JOS, Homecoming, 21st Century Breakdown and American Eulogy and thought "shit, we need another one of those, quick."

Yep, all of this. It's just a weak attempt to recapture the epicness of their past two albums whilst retaining the PUNX nature of their earlier work and it just doesn't work at all.

I love the first 4 minutes and 15 or so seconds of DRB, but after that it turns to a shitty mess. I don't think I've listened to that song all the way through more than 3 times.

One of My Lies is fucking amazing song, but the other two... ehhh. A mess of a 6 minuter that doesn't really go anywhere and a FBH cover that always was a poor mans Fire? Not even sure they'd make my top 100.

I don't know why I enjoy Dirty Rotten Bastards so much, I just really do. It gets me pumped up, and I think it would be really interesting to hear live.

And the award for most unpopular opinion goes to...!

Well at least I succeeded at something. I expect my trophy to arrive any day now.

Archived