Unpopular Green Day Opinions

Kayfabe

I was always irritated by that line in Homecoming. Felt so forced and out of place to me.

Oh come on, seriously? :rolleyes:

I never even heard it until about a year ago, it's so subtle and lovely. :lol:

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was always irritated by that line in Homecoming. Felt so forced and out of place to me.

If anything, "Rock and Roll Girlfriend" itself is out of place. I think that line itself works brilliantly. It's a not-so-subtle reminder that Jesus, in attempting to escape becoming an American idiot, has become a completely different kind of person who's just as idiotic.

It fits Rock n Roll Girlfriend perfectly then :lol: The way that is sandwiched between Nobody Likes You and We're Coming Home Again was always a bit silly.

I don't mind Rock N Roll Girlfriend, it's a badly needed moment of lightheartedness on a very serious album. The American Idiot line at the end just seems like a unnecessary and ham-fisted attempt to make RNRG relevant to the rest of the album.

Besides, it always sounded to me like Billie butting in on Tré's section of the song. Like come on, you sing basically the entire album, let Tré finish his fucking line :P

wait am I stupid or something, I have no idea what line you guys are talking about.

At the end of RNRG, literally on Tré's last line, Billie shouts "DON'T WANNA BE AN AMERICAN IDIOT".

The subtelty of that line and how many people miss it never ceases to amaze me! :lol: I think it took me two or three years of listening to hear it.

No, Billie seriously needs to stop enunciating like a five year old :P

How could you miss it though? It obscures the last line of the segment.

At the end of RNRG, literally on Tré's last line, Billie shouts "DON'T WANNA BE AN AMERICAN IDIOT".

i still can't figure out which line you're talking about? i don't heard any AI line in homecoming. do we listen to the same song or what? :lol:

No, Billie seriously needs to stop enunciating like a five year old :P

But then Billie wouldn't be Billie lol

i still can't figure out which line you're talking about? i don't heard any AI line in homecoming. do we listen to the same song or what? :lol:

Just before Tré sings "so get off my case" :P

Just before Tré sings "so get off my case" :P

yes now i heard it. but how the fuck can you tell he's screaming 'don't wanna be an american idiot' i just can't hear a single word he's saying haha

I swear it's Mike. Live it's Billie, but on the studio version I'm 99.999% sure it's Mike.

I swear it's Mike. Live it's Billie, but on the studio version I'm 99.999% sure it's Mike.

Listening to the acapella sounds mainly like Billie with Mike in the background

Pretty sure I've had this conversation before, it's both Billie and Mike, 100% sure. But I also get the impression that Billie's take is lifted straight from American Idiot with Mike's part overdubbed.

It's Billie

Wow I always thought the "don't wanna be an American idiot" was just mike singing the same thing as Tre but, slightly earlier

I had to listen so fucking hard just to hear that. How can that bother anyone that much :P

Starting to really like Peacekeeper, Billie's vocal runs are fantastic. I still think 21CB is their second best album. Has some very weak points (KYE, See the Light, Christian's Inferno, LOTAG) but songs like 21cb, viva la gloria!, murder city, American Eulogy, and others are so strong to me that they outweigh the low. The songs kick fuckin ass live too. One of their only albums that I could say top to bottom I would probably want to hear a live version before the studio (more a credit to how well they did that tour, then a insult to the studio version)

Archived