John Kiffmeyer and Sean Hughes

Akshat

From what i gathered from the interview Billie did with Larry Livermore where they mentioned John there was no love lost between them. Also in several places (one book and possibly that interview i can't remember) Billie mentioned how John turned up at the last minute to one of their gigs long after he had left them...when they were supporting Bad Religion and insisted on playing instead of Tre who was long with the band at this point. Billie said it was just so as to impress his college friends and he was seriously unimpressed to say the least (well he said a lot worse but you get the idea haha). Basically Billie made him sound like a total ass and I can't believe he did that to Tre :angry

I wonder what show that was at. It'd be great to have a bootleg of that. "The last show with John"

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder what show that was at. It'd be great to have a bootleg of that. "The last show with John"

Right...complete with evil looks from stage left where the drummer who earned his place supporting Bad Religion is standing...not to mention John couldn't play any of the new material the guys had so they were stuck with their older stuff (played poorly) and a royally pissed of Billie. I can imagine John exited the building quite quickly afterwards haha.

I think so too.That guy who makes the green day wikipedia page is crazy.He added Jason White amoung the official members.He has'nt even entered the number of records sold by green day carefully.On calculating it comes out to be above 80 million

I think since UNO DOS & TRE Jason can now be considered an official member.

I'm gonna cry. And I thought he looked old in those pics from Christmas 01-02

I guess it's true what they say about kids. They turn your hair grey

I wonder what Billie would say if he saw John with white/grey hair. Am I making a big deal of this? I think I am. I'm just shocked. We're so used to looking at the pictures of 19-year old handsome John... and now he looks like he's 68 or something

It's not shocking to see a man in his 40s with grey hair. I highly doubt Billie would think anything of it, he's also a man in his 40s who surely has many friends and family members around the same age who's hair he's seen turn grey, and if he didn't dye his hair I'm pretty sure he'd have a fair bit of grey up top himself.

Thanks for posting the photo though! I'd never seen a photo of him after he was in Green Day let alone this recent, interesting to see what he looks like.

It's not shocking to see a man in his 40s with grey hair. I highly doubt Billie would think anything of it, he's also a man in his 40s who surely has many friends and family members around the same age who's hair he's seen turn grey, and if he didn't dye his hair I'm pretty sure he'd have a fair bit of grey up top himself.

Yeah... But that's white on top....

Yeah... But that's white on top....

Yeah he's gone white earlier than average, but it's not particularly unusual.

A little off topic, but I heard a rumor that Sobrante got his name after waking up after a night of drinking, under a sign that said "Sobrante" (apparently it's a location).

Funny little piece of trivia, I'm pretty sure that's how he came up with the name.

Also, here is a video where Al plays, if you didn't know what he looks like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTr6-si0TQs

the irony if i searched John Kiffmeyer on google pic, the first pic is tre cool, good try tre..

the irony if i searched John Kiffmeyer on google pic, the first pic is tre cool, good try tre..
I doubt Tre makes any effort to seem better to the ones who search for Sobrante, considering how awesome he is compared to everything that lives and breathes.

I doubt Tre makes any effort to seem better to the ones who search for Sobrante, considering how awesome he is compared to everything that lives and breathes.

what? i was kidding.. i know tre didn't hank anything

Probably, at that time drummer was Jason Andrew Relva, and according to Larry Livermore there was a drummer between John and Tre, but he was in a band only for 2 weeks

If I remember correctly, in the recent-ish Cometbus issue that focuses on Green Day's 2010 tour of Asia, Aaron Cometbus mentions that he briefly practiced with Billie and Mike when John was away at school, so he might be the drummer Larry is talking about here.

If I remember correctly, in the recent-ish Cometbus issue that focuses on Green Day's 2010 tour of Asia, Aaron Cometbus mentions that he briefly practiced with Billie and Mike when John was away at school, so he might be the drummer Larry is talking about here.

Yes. Jason was drummer in 87-88 before John

I guess I'll do the noble thing and ask him to send them over to me so he doesn't have to worry about selling out.

I loved that :lol:

A little off topic, but I heard a rumor that Sobrante got his name after waking up after a night of drinking, under a sign that said "Sobrante" (apparently it's a location).

Funny little piece of trivia, I'm pretty sure that's how he came up with the name.

It's after his hometown, El Sobrante (a small town in the Bay Area). I heard he was out jogging and passed out, but yeah either way the legend goes he woke up dazed in front of an El Sobrante sign and the name was born.

His hometown is El Sobrante, California. As a joke they called him "Al" since he wasn't from the East Bay.

Does he still keep in touch with Mike and Billie ?

He does not. He seems like he's embarrassed that he was once part of Green Day.

He does not. He seems like he's embarrassed that he was once part of Green Day.

Some ex drummers are a bit sad and don't get much respect to their work !

For example, John was a good drummer but he didn't fit well in the band, Tré really fits good in the band with his skill, his funny humor ...

For example, John was a good drummer but he didn't fit well in the band, Tré really fits good in the band with his skill, his funny humor ...

Yeah, totally, but I don't think John is sad at all. Also he seemed to fit with the band at that point in their history. The video of them playing at Pinhole seems to show them having some good chemistry and being chummy with each other. Tre is definitely a better fit though.

I'm gonna cry. And I thought he looked old in those pics from Christmas 01-02

I guess it's true what they say about kids. They turn your hair grey

I wonder what Billie would say if he saw John with white/grey hair. Am I making a big deal of this? I think I am. I'm just shocked. We're so used to looking at the pictures of 19-year old handsome John... and now he looks like he's 68 or something

Billie wears makeup and dyes his hair.

http://greendaymind.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/billiecolormichellelawlor.jpg

even when it was just a month of not touring, you can tell he has some grey hair. If he let it grow out completely, a good portion would be grey.

John probably just doesn't give a crap about what he looks like. He still is very handsome, he just has grey hair. So what? Billie needs to maintain his ~image, so he dyes it.

Like Pete Best, the original drummer of the Beatles. I met him at Beatlefest in Chicago in 2007 he seemed so depressed, I can see why.

Archived