¡TRÉ!

Liam

I agree with the MxPx cheezy lyrics thing, but I agree that Buffalo and LIG were great records. After that, they slowly went downhill, but that new one is pretty decent. I remember the simile about an arcade an token from the album, Panic. Wow that ruined that song. That album and Before Everything After had some of the worst lyrics ever.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I caved. Listened a little. It's ok. I've had my fill. It's out in a week. I'll have my assignments finished then, I can listen to Uno, Dos and Tre back to back :D

I'm pretty sure my musical taste is all over the board already. Honestly I don't think Uno is better than Tre. I don't know. I strongly dislike Uno. I don't think I've heard any song off it in a few weeks, actually. It's a completely forgettable and unoriginal album, and it does NOT sound like prime Green Day at all. I'm not too fond of Tre either, though. I don't think it's much more original than Uno!, and it sure as hell isn't "epic," as the band itself described it to be.

I'm pretty sure my musical taste is all over the board already. Honestly I don't think Uno is better than Tre. I don't know. I strongly dislike Uno. I don't think I've heard any song off it in a few weeks, actually. It's a completely forgettable and unoriginal album, and it does NOT sound like prime Green Day at all. I'm not too fond of Tre either, though. I don't think it's much more original than Uno!, and it sure as hell isn't "epic," as the band itself described it to be.

Tre is actually pretty epic. Brutal Love is definitely an epic song. Missing You could go either way, but it really builds to that maximum potential feel regardless. X-Kid just explodes. Sex, Drugs, and Violence is probably the most appropriate lyrical song on the album for Billie's current situation. 99 Revolutions is an anthem. Dirty Rotten Bastards... well just check the forum reaction. The Forgotten has been another that's gone either way, but I do think it's the perfect ending for the album. Amanda? Not really epic, probably would have sounded just as fine on Dos, but not every song has to be hugely climactic.

I also thought I'd add that I see a lot of confusion and or disdain for the lyrics of Sex Drugs and Violence, which as I stated is the song I think Billie best relates to right now. The whole point of "I must regress to sex drugs and violence, english, math, and science" is the idea of trying to recapture youth at midlife and how it teaches you 'the hardest lessons of your life.' Just like a kid might go back to english math and science from grade school basics, Billie is running toward sex drugs and violence which embody his childhood. However, he took a 'wrong turn at growing up and it's freaking him out.' Whereas trouble used to follow him now he's chasing trouble trying to regain that wild feeling. Since he didn't die young and burnout, 'too dumb to die I guess,' He has to learn the lessons of midlife that he never thought he would. I don't see how people can't appreciate those lyrics even if parts are a little clunky. They're so heartfelt.

Haha, don't flatter yourself. I only said all that 14 year old stuff because it was a spam thread and I enjoy winding people up a little. Although I may have hit a nerve...

And if you had said something about the album being good, I'd have agreed with you. As I've said many times before, I fucking love this album.

Anyway, most of your points are complete crap. You post the opening line of Jesus of Suburbia, using it as evidence of great songwriting, then you denounce the "I don't care" part of the song as filler. Contradicting your main point is a bad start.

You've said Uno is repetitive. Okay, now back that up. You cite one song: Let Yourself Go. Care to name another?

And then you compare the trilogy's lyrics with something you last listened to when you were 7. Okay, enough said.

Think about what you're saying, and formulate a cohesive argument.

Jesus of suburbia is FIVE songs combined. The third part, I don't Care, is very obviously a filler. How long do you think it took Billie to write those lines. I can write a song like that in 5 minutes.

Repetitive songs from UNO: Stay the Night, Carpe Diem, Nuclear Family (Hard to admit because that's the only song I like, but it is), Kill the DJ (The Clean version is the worst thing I have ever heard in my life) Fell for You, Troublemaker, Oh Love, Loss of control.

And also, they're called opinions. Deal with it.

I just noticed that 99 Revolutions and Lazy Bones have the same drum intro. But I don't care because both of the songs are awesome

Tre is actually pretty epic. Brutal Love is definitely an epic song. Missing You could go either way, but it really builds to that maximum potential feel regardless. X-Kid just explodes. Sex, Drugs, and Violence is probably the most appropriate lyrical song on the album for Billie's current situation. 99 Revolutions is an anthem. Dirty Rotten Bastards... well just check the forum reaction. The Forgotten has been another that's gone either way, but I do think it's the perfect ending for the album. Amanda? Not really epic, probably would have sounded just as fine on Dos, but not every song has to be hugely climactic.

I also thought I'd add that I see a lot of confusion and or disdain for the lyrics of Sex Drugs and Violence, which as I stated is the song I think Billie best relates to right now. The whole point of "I must regress to sex drugs and violence, english, math, and science" is the idea of trying to recapture youth at midlife and how it teaches you 'the hardest lessons of your life.' Just like a kid might go back to english math and science from grade school basics, Billie is running toward sex drugs and violence which embody his childhood. However, he took a 'wrong turn at growing up and it's freaking him out.' Whereas trouble used to follow him now he's chasing trouble trying to regain that wild feeling. Since he didn't die young and burnout, 'too dumb to die I guess,' He has to learn the lessons of midlife that he never thought he would. I don't see how people can't appreciate those lyrics even if parts are a little clunky. They're so heartfelt.

^THIS^

I was considering posting an explanation of Sex Drugs and Violence because of all the hate it was getting, but I never got round to it. I love it. It's up there with X-Kid as the most introspective song on the album.

guys guys relax! let the albums grow specially Tre you might even start to appreciate them more...what the hell you might even start to like some songs that you skipped! hahahah remember what happened to Warning? Im 99% t sure that in 2000 there was many Green Day fans saying "oh my god this is so underwhelming" "this is not the Green Day I know" BLA BLA BLA now the only thing I hear is people praising the album and constantly mentioning how fucking underrated it is , even the pretentious dicks in Sputnikmusic like it. So lets give all this music we have some time before you regret what you say.

In full agreement with that part. I'd also agree that it's less catchy, I think the first two albums, especially Dos, are mostly built around catchy choruses, whereas here I'd say only 99 Revolutions and Missing You qualify as that. I just think that Sex Drugs & Violence, Little Boy Named Train, Amanda and Walk Away all mould into one, none of them particularly derivate from the formula, the key change in Walk Away is about as interesting as it gets. I'm not seeing anything in those songs that isn't done on Uno, in fact a couple of them sound like Fell For You and Sweet 16.

In full agreement with that part. I'd also agree that it's less catchy, I think the first two albums, especially Dos, are mostly built around catchy choruses, whereas here I'd say only 99 Revolutions and Missing You qualify as that. I just think that Sex Drugs & Violence, Little Boy Named Train, Amanda and Walk Away all mould into one, none of them particularly derivate from the formula, the key change in Walk Away is about as interesting as it gets. I'm not seeing anything in those songs that isn't done on Uno, in fact a couple of them sound like Fell For You and Sweet 16.

Yeah I don't know... I think it was the lyrics to all four that you listed that drew me in first. In the Tre lyrics thread I tried to elaborate on my thoughts but no one seemed to want to discuss really. Amanda, I actually think could've fit well on Dos but I'm not sure what song you'd replace it with then. Maybe Lazy Bones. I really love Little Boy Named Train and I'm not entirely sure why it sort of makes me feel like going on a long roadtrip and it's a vibe I don't usually get from Green Day which is either jump around or sit and reflect. With Train, I feel like I'm sort of exploring, but that's got to be more of a personal experience that probably has something to do with a subconscious connection that I can't pull out yet. I wrote a post on Sex Drugs and Violence and why the lyrics keep pulling me back. I really didn't think I'd like Walk Away, but I think perhaps the maturity of the lyrics, siutationally, after all the sort of adolescent humor and lusting, just feels refreshing and enlightening. I also feel like with Tre, they didn't try to follow a formula. With Uno it was power pop, with Dos-- garage rock, Tre just sort of feels like the natural progression from 21st Century Breakdown to me. As if these were the songs that just arrived because of where Billie, Mike, and Tre were, and weren't forced out for a concept.

Jesus of suburbia is FIVE songs combined. The third part, I don't Care, is very obviously a filler. How long do you think it took Billie to write those lines. I can write a song like that in 5 minutes.

Repetitive songs from UNO: Stay the Night, Carpe Diem, Nuclear Family (Hard to admit because that's the only song I like, but it is), Kill the DJ (The Clean version is the worst thing I have ever heard in my life) Fell for You, Troublemaker, Oh Love, Loss of control.

And also, they're called opinions. Deal with it.

I'm so confused by this. If you can write a Green Day classic in 5 minutes, why aren't you rich as fuck?

And I don't see how any of those songs are any more repetitive than anything Green Day have ever recorded, with the exception of Kill The DJ. Choruses are meant to be repeated, thats the whole fucking point of them. And Green Day nearly always repeat the first verse towards the end. They've been doing it since Dookie.

Next you'll be saying Who Wrote Holden Caulfield? is repetitive because they sing the chorus twice at the end.

Hang on, why the fuck am I arguing with 14 year old who very evidently has no clue about songwriting? I'm done with this, this is fucking stupid.

I'm so confused by this. If you can write a Green Day classic in 5 minutes, why aren't you rich as fuck?

And I don't see how any of those songs are any more repetitive than anything Green Day have ever recorded, with the exception of Kill The DJ. Choruses are meant to be repeated, thats the whole fucking point of them. And Green Day nearly always repeat the first verse towards the end. They've been doing it since Dookie.

Next you'll be saying Who Wrote Holden Caulfield? is repetitive because they sing the chorus twice at the end.

Hang on, why the fuck am I arguing with 14 year old who very evidently has no clue about songwriting? I'm done with this, this is fucking stupid.

I've written my share of songs, don't you worry. I may not be amazing as Green Day, but I know what I'm doing. And at least Green Day's old choruses were WORTH repeating. Hearing "I wanna be your troublemaker" means nothing to me, while the chorus of Who Wrote Holden Caulfield? is deep and it's relatable to A LOT of people. I mean, I guess that's my point, how many of these songs are relatable to us. Lazy Bones? The Forgotten?

And man, I feel bad for the child that will have to call you a dad one day, I truly do.

Just gave it a second listen, with headsets this time instead of in the car. It's pretty good, with a few songs that I really, really am loving but there are just as many songs that are falling flat for me. I'll give this album several, several more spins like I did for UNO and DOS, but I think DOS is the best of the 3.

My rankings for each song:

1. Brutal Love (7/10): Not what I expected from the opener. It's different, which I like, but it runs on way too long, which I don't like.

2. Missing You (7/10): Everything is good except for the chorus, which doesn't do anything for me. It's missing something.

3. 8th Avenue Serenade (10/10): Love it! Catchy & perfect length.

4. Drama Queen (5/10): Meh. First real dud.

5. X-Kid (10/10): Perfect.

6. Sex, Drugs & Violence (6/10): The cringe-worthy Rivers Cuomo lyrics ruin it.

7. Little Boy Named Train (8/10): The SWTRLF of TRE. Solid track with a nice beat to groove along to.

8. Amanda (9/10): I'm surprised this has gotten a lot of negativity -- this song is one of the most incredibly catchy songs out of the trilogy.

9. Walk Away (4/10): This song does nothing for me -- might take more listens, but I wasn't very impressed.

10. Dirty Rotten Bastards (9/10): Aside from the fact that it is a TOTAL RIPOFF OF SHOPLIFTER, it's pretty awesome. And since I really like Shoplifter's melody, I'll let the self-plagiarism slide. :lol:

11. 99 Revolutions (8/10): Like "Nuclear Family", it's missing something from the live version. Both of these songs seem about a half-step too slow in the studio versions, and just feels too "sterile", if that makes sense.

12. The Forgotten (5/10): Just like the title says: "forgettable". :toocool:

And the obligatory "If I had to pick 5 songs off each album, what would it look like" response:

1. Nuclear Family

2. 8th Avenue Serenade

3. Stop When the Red Lights Flash

4. Stray Heart

5. Ashley

6. Lady Cobra

7. Dirty Rotten Bastards

8. Carpe Diem

9. 99 Revolutions

10. Wild One

11. Fell For You

12. Stay The Night

13. Amanda

14. X-Kid

15. Oh Love

I'm actually reading this while i'm wearing my Weezer shirt. :D

But i have to say that you're right.

Just gave it a second listen, with headsets this time instead of in the car. It's pretty good, with a few songs that I really, really am loving but there are just as many songs that are falling flat for me. I'll give this album several, several more spins like I did for UNO and DOS, but I think DOS is the best of the 3.

My rankings for each song:

1. Brutal Love (7/10): Not what I expected from the opener. It's different, which I like, but it runs on way too long, which I don't like.

2. Missing You (7/10): Everything is good except for the chorus, which doesn't do anything for me. It's missing something.

3. 8th Avenue Serenade (10/10): Love it! Catchy & perfect length.

4. Drama Queen (5/10): Meh. First real dud.

5. X-Kid (10/10): Perfect.

7. Little Boy Named Train (8/10): The SWTRLF of TRE. Solid track with a nice beat to groove along to.

8. Amanda (9/10): I'm surprised this has gotten a lot of negativity -- this song is one of the most incredibly catchy songs out of the trilogy.

9. Walk Away (4/10): This song does nothing for me -- might take more listens, but I wasn't very impressed.

10. Dirty Rotten Bastards (9/10): Aside from the fact that it is a TOTAL RIPOFF OF SHOPLIFTER, it's pretty awesome. And since I really like Shoplifter's melody, I'll let the self-plagiarism slide. :lol:

11. 99 Revolutions (8/10): Like "Nuclear Family", it's missing something from the live version. Both of these songs seem about a half-step too slow in the studio versions, and just feels too "sterile", if that makes sense.

12. The Forgotten (5/10): Just like the title says: "forgettable". :toocool:

And the obligatory "If I had to pick 5 songs off each album, what would it look like" response:

1. Nuclear Family

2. 8th Avenue Serenade

3. Stop When the Red Lights Flash

4. Stray Heart

5. Ashley

6. Lady Cobra

7. Dirty Rotten Bastards

8. Carpe Diem

9. 99 Revolutions

10. Wild One

11. Fell For You

12. Stay The Night

13. Amanda

14. X-Kid

15. Oh Love

where is rusty james?

And man, I feel bad for the child that will have to call you a dad one day, I truly do.

Chill, mate...

I'm actually reading this while i'm wearing my Weezer shirt. :D

But i have to say that you're right.

And to clarify, I mostly mean everything after Maladroit. Up until Make Believe I could still tolerate them! :sorry:

where is rusty james?

Came down to that and Oh Love, and I think Oh Love is a perfect closing song.

I've written my share of songs, don't you worry. I may not be amazing as Green Day, but I know what I'm doing. And at least Green Day's old choruses were WORTH repeating. Hearing "I wanna be your troublemaker" means nothing to me, while the chorus of Who Wrote Holden Caulfield? is deep and it's relatable to A LOT of people. I mean, I guess that's my point, how many of these songs are relatable to us. Lazy Bones? The Forgotten?

I'm sorry, I said I was done, but one thing. Who Wrote Holden Caulfield? is about smoking pot and losing your motivation. I'd say it's very relatable to many people, but deep it is not.

Green Day have always written less than deep songs. But they're fun. I think that's the point your're missing.

And I do get on with 14 year olds. Just not the ones who think they know everything.

Anyway, sleep.

I've got to say, with all due respect, i've been a member on here for along time ... and this is the biggest shit storm of a thread I have ever seen. There's so much biitterness, it's weird.

Some of you need to chill out. It's just music. You either like it or you don't.

I dont understand why they hate sd&v is just fucking awesome

Is like the new nice guys finish last

It reminds me a lot to nimrod

I was surprised by Walk Away, I thought it was really emotional, and Billie's vocals were excellent. The only problem that I had with the song is that I think it would have been more powerful if they drums, bass, and Jason's guitar didn't kick in. I really enjoyed the lone guitar vibe. Also I've noticed that a lot of these songs are more powerful than songs on iUno! and iDos!, for people who think the guitars or mix sound weak then plug some headphones and jack the volume up some, then you'll get the full effect. Also, Amanda's solo is probably Green Day's best solo ever. I do think they should have kept the intro to it though, because without it I Little Boy Named Train bleeds a little too much into it, it just goes from the end of one song straight into another. This is easily my favorite of the trilogy though, id give it an 8, I thought I it was great. Favorites would be:

Brutal Love

Missing You

X-Kid

Walk Away

Least favorite is Sex, Drugs, and Violence, though I do think it's less filler than say Angel Blue, Loss of Control, Baby Eyes, or Stop When The Red Lights Flash. They should have kept the sort of sound the song went into when Mike started singing, that 10 second piece gave me a much better vibe than the verses where Billie sang, I think they should have had Mike singing the entire song, it would have made it stand out even more.

I dont understand why they hate sd&v is just fucking awesome

Is like the new nice guys finish last

It reminds me a lot to nimrod

it reminds me of the ramones hahaha

Too lazy to read the 20 something pages I missed during the day :lol: The record was great. It's kinda weird to hear Billie's voice calling my name though :lol: I wish Mike had singed a bit more, and I wouldn't have minded if the guitars had a little more distorsion, but everything else was great. Missing you is really catchy, and so is 8th ave serenade :wub: And now I guess we'll have to wait for some lyrics? xD

I was surprised by Walk Away, I thought it was really emotional, and Billie's vocals were excellent. The only problem that I had with the song is that I think it would have been more powerful if they drums, bass, and Jason's guitar didn't kick in. I really enjoyed the lone guitar vibe. Also I've noticed that a lot of these songs are more powerful than songs on iUno! and iDos!, for people who think the guitars or mix sound weak then plug some headphones and jack the volume up some, then you'll get the full effect. Also, Amanda's solo is probably Green Day's best solo ever. I do think they should have kept the intro to it though, because without it I Little Boy Named Train bleeds a little too much into it, it just goes from the end of one song straight into another. This is easily my favorite of the trilogy though, id give it an 8, I thought I it was great. Favorites would be:

Brutal Love

Missing You

X-Kid

Walk Away

Least favorite is Sex, Drugs, and Violence, though I do think it's less filler than say Angel Blue, Loss of Control, Baby Eyes, or Stop When The Red Lights Flash. They should have kept the sort of sound the song went into when Mike started singing, that 10 second piece gave me a much better vibe than the verses where Billie sang, I think they should have had Mike singing the entire song, it would have made it stand out even more.

Brutal Love

Missing You

X-Kid

Walk Away

Sex Drugs and Violence is not my least favorite, but I have to say, every time I hear Mike's voice I really want it to keep going. Billie should've given him that song. I think it was probably the personal lyrics that led Billie to keeping the track for himself, but all Mike would've been a welcomed change of pace, and I think it would've sounded great.

Archived