Finally got the timetable of this thread

First it leaks and we are excited

Second we listen to it

Third ..... We bitch and moan :lol:

That's GDC for ya!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amanda feels sort of like the Kinks being updated to me and I really dig that riff.

I don't hear that reference at all lol.

Me neither. It has a similar beat I guess...

Me neither. It has a similar beat I guess...

If even that. While listening to both, I would never think of the other. That's how similar they are to me :P

I think people who pre-ordered the box set should have received the digital download of Tre a week early. It's streaming anyway and they already have our $!

I think people who pre-ordered the box set should have received the digital download of Tre a week early. It's streaming anyway and they already have our $!

But if Warner sent out the digital downloads a week before the official release date, the official release date would then would have been December 4th, instead of December 11th.

X-Kid is the highlight of the album for me. Can't get enough of it, the lyrics, the "Bombs Away" part, the music, it's perfect.

But if Warner sent out the digital downloads a week before the official release date, the official release date would then would have been December 4th, instead of December 11th.

It would have been nice as a special "thank you" to people who pre-ordered the deluxe edition. The digital download would satiate fans until we get the physicl CD on Tue. It's annoying having to stream the album and hear "I heart radio on demand" every two minutes. I'm almost expecting to hear that on the CD at this point, haha!

The Dollyrots did somethng similar for their most recent album. Fans who helped support their latest album through Kickstarter received the digital download and even the physical CD earlier than the general public.

Okay so I've come to to the conclusion that Jesus of Suburbia is a series of really good songs connected very well to each other, and Dirty Rotten Bastards is like a really good Bad Religion song sandwiched between a Christmas carol/Avril Lavigne song.

That was EXACTLY my reaction. Except I get the feeling that you don't like the Avril Christmas section, and I definitely do :lol: But I also love the BR middle.

Am I the only one who doesn't really like Brutal Love at all?

Nope I'm with you, I was surprised to hear it I mean it's not a bad song but I really have to be in the mood for it but the only song I truly don't like is Drama Queen there I said it! :)

Anyone else think that it's kinda ironic that iHeart Radio is streaming ¡Tré!?

Ultimate Guitar review 5,3/10

http://www.ultimate-.../tre/index.html

(and they wrote that DRB was 8 minute-long)

There was a thread for reviews, but the title has changed for personal review so...

I read the review and i think more of these will come just like this one

The main critic about this trilogy will be the lyrics, probably every reviewer is going to complain on that

GD hit a whole other level with AI, there's no way around it.

I honestly challenge you to name a better songwriter of his generation. Even people I know who hate Green Day, as in loathe them, will readily admit that Billie is an amazing songwriter.

I think some these names would be up there too:

Noel Gallagher

Frank Ocean (lyrically)

Kurt Cobain

Bruno Mars (Musically, he's one of the best pop writers)

Eminem (Lyrically again)

I would like to see GD experiment with vocals being exchanged between B&M, I think that would have potential.

I tell ya, Kill the DJ would have worked *so* much better if they did a call and response in the chorus -- BJ singing the lead "Someone kill the DJ" verse with Mike (plus maybe Jason) singing "just shoot the fucking DJ" as a response. It would have added another layer of depth to an already half-decent and innovative track.

/digress

If I could marry the middle section of Dirty Rotten Bastards I would, so god damn speedy and good.

I think some these names would be up there too:

Noel Gallagher

Frank Ocean (lyrically)

Kurt Cobain

Bruno Mars (Musically, he's one of the best pop writers)

Eminem (Lyrically again)

I had honestly forgotten Cobain, very well pointed out.

I've never rated Noel Gallagher, as I fucking hate Oasis. So I've never really looked into his stuff. I've never listened to Frank Ocean or Bruno Mars, but they're a good bit younger than Billie Joe, so I'd nearly wouldn't count them.

And although a lot of people like Eminem, I've never been able to listen to him for more than 5 seconds without wanting to cut my ears off.

The Dollyrots did somethng similar for their most recent album. Fans who helped support their latest album through Kickstarter received the digital download and even the physical CD earlier than the general public.

Yeah, my girlfriend did that and gave me a copy :lol:

But they're not Green Day, you know? In terms of popularity and "business size."

I read the review and i think more of these will come just like this one

The main critic about this trilogy will be the lyrics, probably every reviewer is going to trash on that

GD hit a whole other level with AI, there's no way around it.

I've read 2 other reviews and they were positive, but it seemed more like blogs, so it could be fans or music professionals. As for the lyrics, AI was really good, but there's also some good lines on Dookie, Insomniac, Nimrod and Warning. 21stCB also, even though sometimes they're kind hard to understand. And I think the lyrics for the trilogy weren't as good as for the other albums (have not listened to Tre yet) but at the same time I think those albums are more focused on the music.

since people posting their reviews here... here goes my review again. ill put it in a spoiler, cause its a bit long

for the record: uno got 4/10 and dos got 8.5/10. right now dos sank on 8/10 though

1. Brutal Love - i like the unexpected chord shifts happening in the second half of the track and the horns are beautiful, great way to start a record. its a nice change to the standard pop blur we got on uno and on some tre stuff. one of the best songs of the trilogy. 10/10

2. Missing You - ok how many times did i hear this song on the trilogy? its catchy and better than the brothers of missing you though. thats where you see the weak point of the trilogy, some songs are just sounding uninspired and the same (most of it on uno)... and someone has to tell me again why they limit themselfes by recording a song like this so slow and not faster. this and the boring guitar sound make all those songs ending up in a big blur. 6/10

3. 8th Avenue Serenade - great melody, got this 1039/smoothed out slappy hours vibe, but it would fit perfect on nimrod. im missing the counting to 8 at the beginning of the live recordings though. 8/10

4. Drama Queen - nice on the first few listens. but this one loses its soul when you hear it to often. one of those catchy ballads (like amy) you get quickly tired of. good lyrics though and if you limit your listens to it, it can still grabb you. 7/10

5. X-Kid - again something which is different to the general sound of the trilogy. the melody is not that exciting, but the changing dynamics during the song make it so good and prevent that it gets boring. again: good lyrics. 8/10

6. Sex, Drugs and Violence - you can read what i wrote about missing you. it all fits on this song, too. its not bad, but green day limit themselfes again of the character they added in songs on earlier albums. distortion, speed, energy. - 6/10

7. Little Boy Named Train - boring. the low point of the album. on one boredom level with carpe diem and such. 3/10

8. Amanda - the third song in a row which isn't that good. catchy and kind of new melody though. you don't think you heard it a thousand times before like other songs of the trilogy. again: 6 points don't mean its a bad song. less than 5 would mean its bad... 6 is slightly better than average, but not great. just for all haters thinking im all negative. so this is again a: 6/10

9. Walk Away - this song kind of grown on me. it screams one thing to me: NIMROD! its bad placed on the album though. because is the 4th kind of similiar sounding song in a row which doesn't make you wake up again. those songs following each other dragg the whole album down. tracks 6-9 is like a new uno... but if you hear it out of the album context its a: 7/10

10. Dirty Rotten Bastards - the kind of random shifts are something some people complain about. but thats the character of the song and its takes you on a great travel. i didn't get the meaning of all the lyrics yet but its clear its dealing with the history of the band. i believe its citing some old green day songs on purpose. the beginning sound like the warning folk rock thing and then it gets to the great punkrock part where i think: you have great melody on the trilogy why didnt yoiu record it as fast as this? (or at least close to it). the bass and guitar solos are great! maybe the best solos on the trilogy. its almost motörheadish ;) 9/10

11. 99 Revolutions - some good lyrics and some parts a bit... unauthentic. its a great live song though and you probably guess what i have to complain... so i won't mention it again. one of the better melodys on the trilogy though. 8/10

12. The Fortgotten - i couldn't decide if i hate it or if i like it.... depends on my mood i guess. its probably not that bad as i made it before. it just misses my taste in some points i guess and its a bit cheezy. sounds like it could be a bryan adams ballad to me... im suprised its not a radio hit yet. maybe that will happen. 7/10

the average for TRE! would be 7/10. but since its not convincing me as an album ill have to give it a 6/10. some albums are better than their average song ratings (like dos had the same average as tre), some are worse.

so that would mean for now (my album ratings alway change a bit, so did they since dos):

1) Insomniac - 9/10

2) American Idiot - 9/10 (has grown on me lately again)

3) 1039/Smoothed out slappy hours - 8.5/10

3) Dookie - 8/10

4) Dos - 8/10

5) Kerplunk -7.5/10

6) Nimrod - 7.5/10

7) Warning - 6.5/10

8) Tré - 6/10

8) 21st century breakdown - 5/10

9) UNO - 4/10

Warning: contrasting opinion :P

I think lyrically it is wonderfully done..which most people don't seem to think so considering people have been comparing Billie's writing to an 8th grader :P

However, I don't have a particularly liking to any of the songs musically..there isn't a song I can grab onto. I had a feeling that with everyone hyping it up so much it wouldn't be as good. And with dirty rotten bastards..I don't see what the hype is all about??

I hope this is just an album I can get "use" to (for lack of a better word)

This was just a first listen as well as simply an opinion. Do what you will with it.

That was EXACTLY my reaction. Except I get the feeling that you don't like the Avril Christmas section, and I definitely do :lol: But I also love the BR middle.

what part are you referring to as the Avril Christmas part?

Omg guys... Today i was walking by our cd shop and Tré was there (ofc i bought it :D) ... I dont get it. And i live in middle europe!

I tell ya, Kill the DJ would have worked *so* much better if they did a call and response in the chorus -- BJ singing the lead "Someone kill the DJ" verse with Mike (plus maybe Jason) singing "just shoot the fucking DJ" as a response. It would have added another layer of depth to an already half-decent and innovative track.
Good call.

More digression; fwiw I love interchanging lead vocals and counterpoint harmonies and I was recently sent the YT video of California Man by The Move with Jeff Lynne and Roy Wood on vocals. I am so old I remember it on TOTP when I was older then than some on here now. :happy::lol: A shameless trip down Memory Lane (just off the Boulevard of Broken Dreams, to keep the GD connection).

Archived