¡TRÉ!

Liam

It's great to see some nice reviews. :)

Just saw the writer for Under The Gun write this on twitter:

"Liked 12/12 tracks. Makes me wonder about a need for Uno! and Dos! Regardless, I love Tre! and will give it a glowing @UTGReviewReview."

(He gave Uno 7.5/10 and Dos 2/10.)

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No offense, but I actually thought this was really poorly written. I don't know if you wrote it or you just found it, so I won't say anything else.

None taken, it's not mine.

To be very bluntly honest, I'm having a hard time finding a song on Tre that I really like. I'm kind of wishing for Dos right now, which isn't saying much for either album.

To be very bluntly honest, I'm having a hard time finding a song on Tre that I really like. I'm kind of wishing for Dos right now, which isn't saying much for either album.

What about it has you thinking so critically?

I always try to sing the "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 8!" in 8th Ave Serenade, nailed it once!

Also, favorites on the album so far:

- Dirty Rotten Bastards

- 8th Ave Serenade

- Brutal Love

- Sex, Drugs and Violence

I really want to like this album more than I do, but... most of the songs are just really forgettable. Some of them are alright, but only just alright. Nothing really amazing. Like, this is seriously my first time being underwhelmed by a Green Day album.

Just curious, for everyone saying that they're underwhelmed, was it because it was built up to be like the "epic" one of trilogy? Or did it just not meet your expectations for the album?

Still haven't downloaded it so I'm just curious about the whole "underwhelmed" feeling.

Sorry to spoil it for everyone, but the intro/verse and chorus of the first "section" of Dirty Rotten Bastards is completely ripped off from two old songs. I noticed it straight away because the theme songs of Football teams here in Australia are sung to the tune of both of these - these songs are heard weekly for 8 months of the year, so I can tell you now that I'm not just hearing things.

The verse/intro is copied from the Toreador song (from 1:55 in this video):

And the chorus is copied from the United States Marine Hymn (from 0:41 in this video):

If you take a listen to the GDRB American Idiot multitracks in isolation you'll find a slice of Pachelbel's Canon in D embedded in the "City of the Damned" keyboard section of Jesus of Suburbia. Green Day occasionally borrows snippets of other music, usually to make a sharp or satirical point, and when they do they don't make any secret of it. I'm going to need to study a lyric sheet before I can make a convincing argument about what Dirty Rotten Bastards is aiming at and how both Bizet's Carmen and the USMC battle charge connect to it thematically. For now I'll *guess* that there's a call to arms or a rallying cry here that also connects to 99 Revolutions, but where in iUno! the charge (from Nuclear Family and Carpe Diem) was "fuck it, give me my cheap thrill before I get too old to enjoy one anymore", in iTre! it's now "Cleanup on aisle 12!!"...but regardless, one thing is clear: there's a whole lot of uber-serious shit going on in this track, and this is just the first section of, what, four? we're talking about here. Labeling it a "complete ripoff" completely misses the brilliance that's staring you right in the face.

Just curious, for everyone saying that they're underwhelmed, was it because it was built up to be like the "epic" one of trilogy? Or did it just not meet your expectations for the album?

Still haven't downloaded it so I'm just curious about the whole "underwhelmed" feeling.

Underwhelmed at the first snapshot listen, then grew on me very rapidly when I cranked it on the drive home. More so than any of the other two albums, this one demands to be played loud. There's a lot going on in the music and shitty laptop speakers just won't cut it this time.

If you take a listen to the GDRB American Idiot multitracks in isolation you'll find a slice of Pachelbel's Canon in D embedded in the "City of the Damned" keyboard section of Jesus of Suburbia. Green Day occasionally borrows snippets of other music, usually to make a sharp or satirical point, and when they do they don't make any secret of it. I'm going to need to study a lyric sheet before I can make a convincing argument about what Dirty Rotten Bastards is aiming at and how both Bizet's Carmen and the USMC battle charge connect to it thematically. For now I'll *guess* that there's a call to arms or a rallying cry here that also connects to 99 Revolutions, but where in iUno! the charge (from Nuclear Family and Carpe Diem) was "fuck it, give me my cheap thrill before I get too old to enjoy one anymore", in iTre! it's now "Cleanup on aisle 12!!"...but regardless, one thing is clear: there's a whole lot of uber-serious shit going on in this track, and this is just the first section of, what, four? we're talking about here. Labeling it a "complete ripoff" completely misses the brilliance that's staring you right in the face.

Underwhelmed at the first snapshot listen, then grew on me very rapidly when I cranked it on the drive home. More so than any of the other two albums, this one demands to be played loud. There's a lot going on in the music and shitty laptop speakers just won't cut it this time.

Basket Case's guitar riff is Canon in Eb major I believe...Billie Joe started off as a piano player it's only natural that these melodies would stick in his head.

Basket Case's guitar riff is Canon in Eb major I believe...Billie Joe started off as a piano player it's only natural that these melodies would stick in his head.

No shit!! I gotta go check that out.

I'm hoping it ends up growing on me (it wouldn't be the first time I was intensely disappointed by an album, only to fall in love with it later).

This album actually overwhelmed me on my first listen. It's easily the best of the three in my book. Maybe even up there with Nimrod.

Little Boy Named Train has grown on me immensely today.

Something that jumped out at me about this one is how smoothly, how fluidly, how easily the repeating verses and choruses flow from one to the other. I think the song was written about a child Billie knew of who had some real serious physical or mental disabilities -- and when you're trying to help manage those kinds of problems, routine and repitition is a vital technique. I don't think it's any accident that Billie structured the song that way...and once again we have an example of how the song structure itself aids the understanding of what he's writing about, and especially how Billie looks back at himself in light of his own experience with this child. Wow.

The beginning of Dirty Rotten Bastards is actually just a little... annoying to me. And Christmas-y. :lol: I also can't stand how much it sounds like Shoplifter.

And I wish wish WISH the counting in 8th Ave Serenade was in the studio version. I'm thinking about editing the audio and putting in the live recording just at the part.

Overall, I think the music in Tre is good-to-great, and the lyrics are meh/shit/redundant-to-good. :toocool:

Little Boy Named Train has grown on me immensely today.

I didn't like it at first (like, at all) and in another listen it grew on me, it's really good.

Im debating whether or not to download a leak of it and listen to it, or wait for the full experience of opening the CD for the first listen. My girlfriend says I should wait, but I waited for both Uno and Dos. And I hear from all of you that Tre is fucking epic. So, thought Id get some help from my fellow GDC'ers. What the hell should I do?

Im debating whether or not to download a leak of it and listen to it, or wait for the full experience of opening the CD for the first listen. My girlfriend says I should wait, but I waited for both Uno and Dos. And I hear from all of you that Tre is fucking epic. So, thought Id get some help from my fellow GDC'ers. What the hell should I do?

Don't look away from the arms of love.

I think my favorites are 99 Revolutions, X-Kid and Missing You. 99 Revolutions is on repeat and I just can't get enough of it. The drums at the beginning sound like Lazy Bones, but that also sounds like Fuck Time. I am starting to wonder if this is intentional. The rest of the songs all feel and sound different (to me anyway) but they all have that same start. I think that's pretty cool.

Well said on all accounts! It was easy for me because I listened to the album over and over as I was ripping it from Rdio last night. But it was a much more intense listen on the ride to work with it wide open.

GUYS I WON'T LET MYSELF LISTEN TO IT

Are you waiting for the release day too?

Don't look away from the arms of love.

Oh god... that is a ton of pressure..... shit. okay. what to do...

Are you waiting for the release day too?

I'll tell you this...you won't be disappointed if you give in!

haha no really, I don't know, but if you download the leak try to get a good quality version and listen to it loud. I personally downloaded the leaked versions for the other albums too and it haven't ruined the surprise, I mean, I'm listening to what I wanted to hear, but early! (I know it's better when you read the lyrics though but whatever).

Archived