¡TRÉ!

Liam

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

green day is not the best band lyrically. i think lyrics have to be simple and understandable, green day goes too deep in political and other terms, i think mxpx and old good charlotte has the best lyrics.

I think you've just missed the point by a couple of miles. Yes lyrics should be simple. Yes they should be understandable. But Billie Joe is one of the best lyricists perhaps ever. He's written over 350 songs that have been released, and countless others that haven't. Arguably their biggest hit is American Idiot. Politics. Deep lyrics make great songs.

Also, Good Charlotte? Dear lord.

no, i just like simple lyrics, that pass a simple and good message

Oh shit wait, im sorry i read your post wrong haha.... sorry never mind.

It's hard to be a Green Day fan. When we got used to epic arena rock anthems with past two records and deep oh so deep lyrics, other than that you're not okay with anything else. It's your limit because you got used to it. I don't wanna even imagine what it's going to be in the future, something like: "LOL DID THEY JUST RELEASED ONLY ONE ALBUM?? TWO OR LESS IS SOOOOO LAME AND WEAK". That works for expectations for album sales too. I think there's too much people who only thinks that if their new stuff doesn't top American Idior or isn't as good as it is, sucks.

Seasons change as well as minds.

Yup, I guess some people are never pleased.. =/

I love how Brutal Love sounds so much like one of my favorite psychobillly bands Three Bad Jacks. Check it out Three Bad Jacks

when I heard the riff I was like damn similar shit lol

But I really love Amanda! Awesome album!

Wow! Haven't heard about 3 Bad Jacks in a while! I saw them about 14 years ago and loved them! Bought the cd, Made of Stone(?), and was meh. Anyhow, they were awesome live. Great rockabilly band. Psychobilly is more lame stuff like Tiger Army. Anyway, thanks for bringin up some old memories. I used to wear my Three Bad Jacks shirt all the time for years!

I think you've just missed the point by a couple of miles. Yes lyrics should be simple. Yes they should be understandable. But Billie Joe is one of the best lyricists perhaps ever. He's written over 350 songs that have been released, and countless others that haven't. Arguably their biggest hit is American Idiot. Politics. Deep lyrics make great songs.

Also, Good Charlotte? Dear lord.

i said OLD good charlotte. he is a good (but not the best) writer and american idiot is not that deep, i can easily understand it. im talking about american eulogy and others

While it may not be the most popular here and is pretty repetetive i'd say Kill the DJ is one of the most creative (bar the 9min songs) since Misery just cos it's such a different style to the standard powerchord song you'd expect off Green Day.

Oh I agree. Like I said earlier, Green Day are one of the few bands out there that could pull something that good in a completely different genre to their usual one out of nowhere, and do it so well. While it might not be popular amongst the "2 verses a chorus and a bridge" brigade, it's a fine song.

I have to be honest, if you don't like this album you probably need to expand your musical tastes. This is definitely the best of the trilogy. It might not be in your top five hundred of all time albums but to say UNO is better is just ridiculous.

I'm pretty sure my musical taste is all over the board already. Honestly I don't think Uno is better than Tre. I don't know. I strongly dislike Uno. I don't think I've heard any song off it in a few weeks, actually. It's a completely forgettable and unoriginal album, and it does NOT sound like prime Green Day at all. I'm not too fond of Tre either, though. I don't think it's much more original than Uno!, and it sure as hell isn't "epic," as the band itself described it to be.

MxPx has good lyrics, but better than Green Day? I mean I love me some MxPx (Life in General, Slowly Going the Way of the Buffalo, The Ever Passing Moment are great albums) but Mike Herrera wishes he could write the lines and hooks that Billie Joe comes up with. In fact, Mike Herrera has even admitted that he's a bit of a cheesy/lazy song writer, so yeah, I don't know what compelled you to say that.

What does this mean? The stuff on the album that's disappointing is the stuff that sounds like Green-Day-by-numbers.

it means that people really harshly criticize without having prior knowledge of other good music like..they dont realize that green day is making great new music while simultaneously paying homage to old generes of great music and because they dont know they are threatened and say it sucks just my opinion im sure most people here have good taste in music some just lack it

i said OLD good charlotte. he is a good (but not the best) writer and american idiot is not that deep, i can easily understand it. im talking about american eulogy and others

I honestly challenge you to name a better songwriter of his generation. Even people I know who hate Green Day, as in loathe them, will readily admit that Billie is an amazing songwriter.

MxPx has good lyrics, but better than Green Day? I mean I love me some MxPx (Life in General, Slowly Going the Way of the Buffalo, The Ever Passing Moment are great albums) but Mike Herrera wishes he could write the lines and hooks that Billie Joe comes up with. In fact, Mike Herrera has even admitted that he's a bit of a cheesy/lazy song writer, so yeah, I don't know what compelled you to say that.

oh if he said that i dont know, but i love mike herrera lyrics, most of songs i think he is talking with me, i just have this feeling on a few songs.

I honestly challenge you to name a better songwriter of his generation. Even people I know who hate Green Day, as in loathe them, will readily admit that Billie is an amazing songwriter.

man, i think i caused too much polemic today haha, i prefer save it in my head.

oh if he said that i dont know, but i love mike herrera lyrics, most of songs i think he is talking with me, i just have this feeling on a few songs.

I agree completely, he is a writes very emotional and relatable lyrics, also very positive lyrics. He's a good songwriter, but in my opinion, and not just as a Green Day fan, I think Billie Joe is legions above.

You're not really the opinion I'm talking about then. I'm speaking of the people who dislike tre because it isn't as catchy as UNO or whatever. I don't know about green day by the numbers, I could sort of see that in missing you and Amanda but apart from that I think there's a different sound on every other track I think. Then again maybe you have a different opinion, I wish they'd done more experiments like brutal love and even dirty rotten bastards but I'm pretty pleased with the variety we got here because it didn't feel forced but still allowed for distinguishing between songs.

What does this mean? The stuff on the album that's disappointing is the stuff that sounds like Green-Day-by-numbers. Apart from The Forgotten of course, that's just generic-ballad-album-closer-by-numbers.

I agree completely, he is a writes very emotional and relatable lyrics, also very positive lyrics. He's a good songwriter, but in my opinion, and not just as a Green Day fan, I think Billie Joe is legions above.

it is okay. i respect your opinion and thank you for respecting mine

it is okay. i respect your opinion and thank you for respecting mine

Out of curiosity, what's your favorite MxPx song?

You cannot judge a persons music taste on their opinion of 1 album! And i have to disagree i don't think Uno is a repetitive album at all, its catchy and has more of a pop rock feel than most other Green Day albums which i get why some people may not like it as much, but i like to think i have a relatively wide variety of taste in music and i love Uno! I do also love Tre, it is definitely high on my list of favorite Green Day albums at the moment!

You are kidding right???

Ok my opinion probably has a lot to do with how disappointed I was in UNO. I can't even listen to it anymore. But at the time I wrote the original post I had just finished reading like three comments about how tre was worse musically than UNO and I kind of just exploded in text. Don't take my words too personally.

Oh I agree. Like I said earlier, Green Day are one of the few bands out there that could pull something that good in a completely different genre to their usual one out of nowhere, and do it so well. While it might not be popular amongst the "2 verses a chorus and a bridge" brigade, it's a fine song.

Alot of my favourite Green Day tracks are when they get a little more creative and ditch the standard formular, that goes as early from the grungy ballad Rest which no ones likes to pretty much the whole album Warning which is underated yet apart from the fact it isn't Green Day's standard sound has alot of their finest written work on it... people need to be a bit more open minded!

edit: listening through for the first time and the drum beat for the first part of dirty rotten bastards reminds me alot of a slightly more in time longview!

Ah here, that's just silly, you can do that with any Green Day album.

I'm the son of Rage and Love, the Jesus of Suburbia-to- SHES A REBEL SHES A REBEL SHES A REBEL times infinity.

It's unfair to judge an album on one song. Don't be so close minded.

From the same song she quoted, nice touch man :D

Agreed. People are nitpicking and saying stuff like it sounds the same as other Green Day songs and they're not creative anymore.

Bullshit. Just shut up and enjoy the work of one of the best bands on the planet.

You just enjoy contradicting me don't you. Trust me, If I posted something saying the album is better than it is, you would still contradict it because GDC has too many 14 year olds.

"i dont care if you dont i dont care if you dont i dont care if you dont i dont care if you dont i dont care if you dont" does this remind you something?

A good example of a filler

green day is not the best band lyrically. i think lyrics have to be simple and understandable, green day goes too deep in political and other terms, i think mxpx and old good charlotte has the best lyrics.

I love Green Day for their lyrics. That's what caused me to fall in love with them. This doesn't do them justice. At all. I'm never showing these songs to my friends who don't like Green Day, This is as repetitive as pop music. I let it go on UNO because they said it was "Power Pop" But lyrically, this is not the "Epic Closing" they told us about.

It's hard to be a Green Day fan. When we got used to epic arena rock anthems with past two records and deep oh so deep lyrics, other than that you're not okay with anything else. It's your limit because you got used to it. I don't wanna even imagine what it's going to be in the future, something like: "LOL DID THEY JUST RELEASED ONLY ONE ALBUM?? TWO OR LESS IS SOOOOO LAME AND WEAK". That works for expectations for album sales too. I think there's too much people who only thinks that if their new stuff doesn't top American Idior or isn't as good as it is, sucks.

AI and 21stCBD were an era on their own. This is the beginning of something new. It just doesn't work if they roll same ideas and stuff over and over again.

Seasons change as well as minds.

Trust me. One album with only 2 songs, that would have amazing lyrics COMPLETELY beats 3 albums with the blandest lyrics I've heard since I was a Jonas Brothers fan, 7 years ago...

Alot of my favourite Green Day tracks are when they get a little more creative and ditch the standard formular, that goes as early from the grungy ballad Rest which no ones likes to pretty much the whole album Warning which is underated yet apart from the fact it isn't Green Day's standard sound has alot of their finest written work on it... people need to be a bit more open minded!

Green Day get a lot of grief for being a 3 chord power chord band, and then when they try something new their fans turn on them. Makes me sick.

Ok my opinion probably has a lot to do with how disappointed I was in UNO. I can't even listen to it anymore. But at the time I wrote the original post I had just finished reading like three comments about how tre was worse musically than UNO and I kind of just exploded in text. Don't take my words too personally.

I get that its not for everyone, not everyone can like everything, fair enough if you just didn't enjoy it...... and i agree that Tre musically is a very good album and in many ways better than Uno, also its still to early really for me to say that i do prefer Uno to Tre, i haven't even had Tre for 24hrs yet.

I will always argue that, musically, Warning is their best album. They did something special on that album, and the band really showed that they are true masters at songwriting.

i think it is tomorrow is another day or circumstance.

Tomorrow is Another Day is fucking great. I love Party, My House, Be There. It's really simple, but I just love it.

You're not really the opinion I'm talking about then. I'm speaking of the people who dislike tre because it isn't as catchy as UNO or whatever. I don't know about green day by the numbers, I could sort of see that in missing you and Amanda but apart from that I think there's a different sound on every other track I think. Then again maybe you have a different opinion, I wish they'd done more experiments like brutal love and even dirty rotten bastards but I'm pretty pleased with the variety we got here because it didn't feel forced but still allowed for distinguishing between songs.

In full agreement with that part. I'd also agree that it's less catchy, I think the first two albums, especially Dos, are mostly built around catchy choruses, whereas here I'd say only 99 Revolutions and Missing You qualify as that. I just think that Sex Drugs & Violence, Little Boy Named Train, Amanda and Walk Away all mould into one, none of them particularly differentiate from the formula, the key change in Walk Away is about as interesting as it gets. I'm not seeing anything in those songs that isn't done on Uno, in fact a couple of them sound like Fell For You and Sweet 16.

You just enjoy contradicting me don't you. Trust me, If I posted something saying the album is better than it is, you would still contradict it because GDC has too many 14 year olds.

A good example of a filler

I love Green Day for their lyrics. That's what caused me to fall in love with them. This doesn't do them justice. At all. I'm never showing these songs to my friends who don't like Green Day, This is as repetitive as pop music. I let it go on UNO because they said it was "Power Pop" But lyrically, this is not the "Epic Closing" they told us about.

Trust me. One album with only 2 songs, that would have amazing lyrics COMPLETELY beats 3 albums with the blandest lyrics I've heard since I was a Jonas Brothers fan, 7 years ago...

Haha, don't flatter yourself. I only said all that 14 year old stuff because it was a spam thread and I enjoy winding people up a little. Although I may have hit a nerve...

And if you had said something about the album being good, I'd have agreed with you. As I've said many times before, I fucking love this album.

Anyway, most of your points are complete crap. You post the opening line of Jesus of Suburbia, using it as evidence of great songwriting, then you denounce the "I don't care" part of the song as filler. Contradicting your main point is a bad start.

You've said Uno is repetitive. Okay, now back that up. You cite one song: Let Yourself Go. Care to name another?

And then you compare the trilogy's lyrics with something you last listened to when you were 7. Okay, enough said.

Think about what you're saying, and formulate a cohesive argument.

Archived