¡TRÉ!

Liam

I kinda love Sex, Drugs and Violence now. The lyrics in the verses are really awesome. I still find the 'English Math and Science' bit cringey though :P

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Little Boy Named Train is my least favorite, honestly.

And why some people think Brutal Love is the weakest???

Because people like different stuff in music?

I know. But if people don't like Brutal Love, then

wrong.gif

It's as simple as that.

Whoa! I have not realized how long it has been since I have had an intellectual/philosophical conversation. Following this thread and the various viewpoints is starting to really get me thinking. I did not realize that since I have been out of work I have not been doing any serious thinking and I feel like I pulled a muscle in my brain. It is good for me, though.

Don't understand the hype for Brutal Love, was expecting something big and powerful, just got a slow, boring half-decent track. May come to like it in the coming weeks knowing me xD

Agreed. Critics are way too stuck up popstar's arses... :mad:

That makes no sense whatsoever.

Critics are up pop stars asses? When was this? Pop stars typically don't get critical acclaim, the only "pop" like star that received acclaim from critics is Kanye West. Most other pop stars receive mixed reception.

I've read a lot of the reviews and I can see where some people are coming from.

The melodies are there, but they aren't as "stand outish" as say some of the melodies from 21st CB. The album starts bleeding together in the middle, and the lack of any guitar variety makes some of the songs standard.

LBNT, SDV, and Amanda are as standard Green Day as you can get.

Those songs don't fit into what GD described as "epic", because there's nothing about them that brings them above your average Green Day song. Now I realize this is a GD fansite, and people here will probably be real anal when it comes to critisms of the band, but some of them are legit. Just because a review is negative doesn't mean its a bad review. Also, DRB could be considered kind of sluggish to some people, it's extremelly scatterbrained, and the transitions aren't all that smooth as compared to say, JOS or American Eulogy. If people want to know what gets an album acclaimed, then ill tell you. First off, the album has to be somewhat cohesive, and work as a unit, which means there's typically some concept behind it. It could be a more condensed one, or one more open to interpretation. Next, lyrically the album usually needs to be above a lot of it's peers. Thought provoking, provactive, quotable. Even if a song isn't meant to be taken seriously, the lyrics won't suffer from that. Musically, the album needs to do something that isn't quite standard, something that makes it stick out. Music with substance, depth, and emotion. A lot of people have this misguided idea that just because a song contains a piano or strings that automatically means the song is really "complex" and "deep". It doesn't, if that's what they're used for then they basically become gimmicks. Pianos and strings, when used correctly, should create an atmosphere. Think of the lyrics as the bones of the songs, and the instruments as muscle, nerves, and skin. Everything works together, nothing is just there to be "there".

Lastly, an album needs strong melodies and hooks that don't feel slept in, or second rate. This is what an album usually needs to receive acclaim.

According to these so called critics, Taylor Swifts We are never getting back together carries a message.Just check the lyrics of that song and tell me what BULLSHIT message it has.But the same critics feel Stray Heart lacks lyrically.hey called the entire tre album lyrically fail.Im sorry but when I think of bad music, Justin Beiber's name comes first in my mind.

That awkward moment when critics can't even read lyrics :/

That makes no sense whatsoever.

Critics are up pop stars asses? When was this? Pop stars typically don't get critical acclaim, the only "pop" like star that received acclaim from critics is Kanye West. Most other pop stars receive mixed reception.

I've read a lot of the reviews and I can see where some people are coming from.

The melodies are there, but they aren't as "stand outish" as say some of the melodies from 21st CB. The album starts bleeding together in the middle, and the lack of any guitar variety makes some of the songs standard.

LBNT, SDV, and Amanda are as standard Green Day as you can get.

Those songs don't fit into what GD described as "epic", because there's nothing about them that brings them above your average Green Day song. Now I realize this is a GD fansite, and people here will probably be real anal when it comes to critisms of the band, but some of them are legit. Just because a review is negative doesn't mean its a bad review. Also, DRB could be considered kind of sluggish to some people, it's extremelly scatterbrained, and the transitions aren't all that smooth as compared to say, JOS or American Eulogy. If people want to know what gets an album acclaimed, then ill tell you. First off, the album has to be somewhat cohesive, and work as a unit, which means there's typically some concept behind it. It could be a more condensed one, or one more open to interpretation. Next, lyrically the album usually needs to be above a lot of it's peers. Thought provoking, provactive, quotable. Even if a song isn't meant to be taken seriously, the lyrics won't suffer from that. Musically, the album needs to do something that isn't quite standard, something that makes it stick out. Music with substance, depth, and emotion. A lot of people have this misguided idea that just because a song contains a piano or strings that automatically means the song is really "complex" and "deep". It doesn't, if that's what they're used for then they basically become gimmicks. Pianos and strings, when used correctly, should create an atmosphere. Think of the lyrics as the bones of the songs, and the instruments as muscle, nerves, and skin. Everything works together, nothing is just there to be "there".

Lastly, an album needs strong melodies and hooks that don't feel slept in, or second rate. This is what an album usually needs to receive acclaim.

Good first post! Still love DRB though, it's the all over the place element to it that I enjoy though, and the jaunty delivery.

Well, I know you don't have to be agree with me; but there's no such "hype" about Brutal Love. I loved it from the first time I heard it and I think if some people don't like because is too slow, that's not enough reason. What I appreciate the most is the melody of Billie Joe's voice. I heard him like in any other song from the albums and I dare to say it's one of the strongest songs from the trilogy.

Like someone in here says, apparently Brutal Love is about sex? also, 8th Avenue Serenade is about sex too, It seems.

Like someone in here says, apparently Brutal Love is about sex? also, 8th Avenue Serenade is about sex too, It seems.

I don't really know. Of course it could be, since it mentions it :P but in another site people talk about it as if about an addiciton to alcohol or something like that...

Why you say that about 8th Avenue Serenade? :unsure:

I am literally laughing my ass off when I read some of the reviews off tre.I mean just because they HAVE to give a bad review, they are writing ALL SORTS OF EPIC NONSENCE CRAP.Their justification of The Forgotten being the worst song of 2012 is that IT'S BORING.WHO THE FUCK MAKES THESE GUYS REVIEWS.I MEAN WHAT THE FUCK ELSE DO YOU EXPECT OUT OF A PIANO BALLAD? Another amazing reason for Dirty Rotten Bastards to suck is that it's LONG.ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME.JESUS OF SUBURBIA WAS FUCKING 9 MINUTES LONG AND NOBODY SAID SHIT JUST BECAUSE THAT WAS GREEN DAY'S TIME.You review a song by it's quality and not how long or short or boring it is!!!

That awkward moment when Justin Beiber's Believe gets 74/100 on Metacritic and Tre gets just 65!!! I REQUEST ALL OF YOU TO COMMENT THE HELL OUT OF ANY OF THESE WANNABE CRITICS POSTS PLEASE.WE CAN'T HELP GREEN DAY WIN A PEOPLE'S CHOICE AWARD BECAUSE WE ARE TOO BUSY.THIS IS THE LEAST WE CAN DO TO SUPPORT OUR BAND!!!

Why shouldn't a Justin Bieber album get good reviews if it's a good album? Because it's Justin Bieber? Have you ever bothered to sit down and actually listen to one of his albums? Or are you amongst the millions of others that hate on him just because it's the "in" thing to do?

Btw boring factors into enjoyment, and reviews are based partially on enjoyment, which is why it's considered an opinion.

If a song is boring, shouldn't that be considered a negative? There is so much irony and hypocricy in some of what you're saying that you almost seem like a parody. iTre! was nothing more than standard Green Day with two piano tracks and 3 Green Day songs rolled into one, zo what makes it deserving of acclaim? Because it used piano in a couple tracks and some strings and horns? Oh wow, that's so deep man.

I don't really know. Of course it could be, since it mentions it :P but in another site people talk about it as if about an addiciton to alcohol or something like that...

Why you say that about 8th Avenue Serenade? :unsure:

oh maybe, alcohol is also a recurring theme.

I say that because of the chorus, but I don't know, I could be wrong of course.

I've been listening to Tre a hell of a lot over the last few days. As a stand alone album, I feel it's really strong, and there's a few songs on there that stand out as some of the band's best work. I like Uno and Dos, but there's just that something extra about Tre that keeps me coming back to it. I really think that Tre could have been a really good album in it's own right. Definitely my favourite of the triology, and I hope that any future releases carry over the same kinda sound and raw energy that Tre provides.

With regards to reviews, music is, and always has been totally subjective. I pay absolutely no attention to them, if I enjoy an album, then I couldn't care less if anyone else does. It makes zero difference to me if a bunch of internet music critics like it or not, the music isn't made for them anyway.

I'm listening to it for the first time right now. Seems like a good album so far (I'm currently on 8th Avenue Serenade). If the album keeps this up, it might rival my love for Uno. We'll see, lol. I'll deliver my verdict later.

Why shouldn't a Justin Bieber album get good reviews if it's a good album? Because it's Justin Bieber? Have you ever bothered to sit down and actually listen to one of his albums? Or are you amongst the millions of others that hate on him just because it's the "in" thing to do?

Btw boring factors into enjoyment, and reviews are based partially on enjoyment, which is why it's considered an opinion.

If a song is boring, shouldn't that be considered a negative? There is so much irony and hypocricy in some of what you're saying that you almost seem like a parody. iTre! was nothing more than standard Green Day with two piano tracks and 3 Green Day songs rolled into one, zo what makes it deserving of acclaim? Because it used piano in a couple tracks and some strings and horns? Oh wow, that's so deep man.

Sadly, my girlfriend likes Justin Beiber so to save my relationship, I was FORCED to listen to his album, while sitting together with her.It's not like it was bad or UNBEARABLE and stuff.But when you compare that to stuff Green Day does, it's BULLSHIT.When I use the word Bullshit anywhere, I use it to compare an artist's work to Green Day.I definately won't call LP's work bullshit, or ACDC, or even Eminem's for that matter.That work is COMPARABLE.You see all these artists Im talking about being Comparable to Green Day come under the GOOD category of musicians

Getting back to the point, okay Believe maybe a good album for some.But when you compare it to Green Day's work, its SHIT(I changed from Bullshit to shit because people think using this word is offensive).The fact that just because it's sales are good, JB has a better fan base and stuff does not mean that his work is good enough.Even when Babel debuted at #1 on billboard instead of Uno, I did not say shit about it.I am not that kind of a person who says shit for balls.I heard that album and honestly, it was better than Uno and deserved whatever critical and commercial acclaim it was getting.

I NEVER IN MY LIFE SAID UNO WAS BADLY RECIEVED FROM CRITICS, OR DOS OR EVEN TRE.I SAID THAT SOME OF THE REVIEWS HURT ME.I NEVER SAID ALL WERE BAD.GODDAMN READ WHAT I WROTE BEFORE YOU SAY SHIT.

And coming to Tre, musically and Lyrically, Tre did it's job better than Uno or Dos.That's why I called it a better album.Apart from 2 piano ballads and three songs rolled into one, there is a lot more to that album.The three songs rolled into one is a song that most of the people here at GDC like.The piano ballad was added into a Movie's soundtrack, and featured in a CSI episode.Without it being released as a single, its charting in a few countries.And tell me one song from tre that you think is not good.I can prove it yto you it is not so.I can't say the same thing for Uno and Dos because yes, there are elements in that album which are not good.But tre is surely a masterpiece.If it is not doing well commercially you have no right to call it a bad album!!!

Sadly, my girlfriend likes Justin Beiber so to save my relationship, I was FORCED to listen to his album, while sitting together with her.

You poor thing!! Nobody deserves to have to go through such a thing :sick:

But the trilogy DID get some good reviews, and Green Day have won many awards and are generally a well-respected band. Pop artists get terrible reviews and are constantly hated on, perhaps more than Green Day because they're always in the public eye. It's not really about whatever each of us listens to or how many songs are in our iPods... We have in fact both been in bands but that isn't what I was saying. In terms of the review, it is fair to disagree with it, but don't bring in irrelevant artists. That's like comparing reviews between Metallica and Carly Rae Jepson. Pointless.

Besides, you've just criticised a pop song for having a "BULLSHIT" message, how is that better than criticising a song for being boring? They're not wrong, it's just their opinion.

Never in my FUCKING life did I say that the trilogy got bad reviews.Goddamn read what I wrote.I said A FEW of the reviews bothered me, not because they were bad, but their justification of BAD was unacceptable.

I mentioned the ipod thing because a person can be close minded about music only if he has not heard much music.I am definately not that kind of a guy.Many people here do share my feelings about Taylor swift or Justin Beiber.Actualy not only here, THROUGHT THE FUCKING WORLD PEOPLE SHARE THE SAME OPINION AS MINE.

I never said pop music sucks or something.According to me it's the best music after rock.But artists there days have started fucking around with it, which is bad.

Ok so taylor swift:

She is good.She has earned so much of fame in less time, withOUT emphasizing on her boobs or ass, but creating pleasant music.She is good live too.BUT MY POINT WAS that we are never and stray heart are similar as far as lyrical build is conserned.But we are never is recieved better and not stray heart, or even coldplay's new single hurts like heaven or castle of glass from LP.

Well, after time to digest Tre with the entire trilogy, here are my thoughts:

Honestly, I think that this album is the natural progression for the band. Whereas Uno and Dos seemed rather forced (Uno: "hey guys lets make Dookie again!" Dos: "hey guys let's try and be the Tubbies but with GD!"), Tre feels like a good fit after 21CB - it has the maturity of the two concept albums but also has the return to more pop-rockish sounds that made Green Day so popular to begin with. Due to this, I really feel like Tre could've stood alone as 1 album and would've done fine with proper promotion. Although if it were 1 album, I'm sure the band would take out Little Boy Named Train and Sex Drugs & Violence and put in some other songs, such as Nuclear Family, Stray Heart, or Let Yourself Go. While I'm not gonna complain about 37 new Green Day songs (sometimes I'm in the mood for Uno or Dos!) it seems that Tre would've been the 1 album Green Day would have naturally released if the trilogy wouldn't have happened. Tre is almost a masterpiece and I think removing its weaker tracks and adding the best off of Uno/Dos would've made it one of the better GD albums to date, and would've been received well by both fans and critics and sold very well.

Just how I'm feeling after this whole whirlwind of Green Day seems to have subsided. I'm sure my thoughts will change at some point, and I'm hoping to see the guys back in action soon :)

You poor thing!! Nobody deserves to have to go through such a thing :sick:

I know :/ I changed her mind about JB when I played Nimrod for her :D

Well, after time to digest Tre with the entire trilogy, here are my thoughts:

Honestly, I think that this album is the natural progression for the band. Whereas Uno and Dos seemed rather forced (Uno: "hey guys lets make Dookie again!" Dos: "hey guys let's try and be the Tubbies but with GD!"), Tre feels like a good fit after 21CB - it has the maturity of the two concept albums but also has the return to more pop-rockish sounds that made Green Day so popular to begin with. Due to this, I really feel like Tre could've stood alone as 1 album and would've done fine with proper promotion. Although if it were 1 album, I'm sure the band would take out Little Boy Named Train and Sex Drugs & Violence and put in some other songs, such as Nuclear Family, Stray Heart, or Let Yourself Go. While I'm not gonna complain about 37 new Green Day songs (sometimes I'm in the mood for Uno or Dos!) it seems that Tre would've been the 1 album Green Day would have naturally released if the trilogy wouldn't have happened. Tre is almost a masterpiece and I think removing its weaker tracks and adding the best off of Uno/Dos would've made it one of the better GD albums to date, and would've been received well by both fans and critics and sold very well.

Just how I'm feeling after this whole whirlwind of Green Day seems to have subsided. I'm sure my thoughts will change at some point, and I'm hoping to see the guys back in action soon :)

Great post, I agree completely. I liked Uno, I was pleasantly surprised by Dos, but after hearing Tre, it is sailing up as my favorite of the 3. Beautiful album, no filler tracks, could have been a stand-alone album (and I'd take Oh Love as a bonus track, please :D )

All in all, Tre is a masterpiece. I was really pleasantly surprised by this whole trilogy, though.

Well, I know you don't have to be agree with me; but there's no such "hype" about Brutal Love. I loved it from the first time I heard it and I think if some people don't like because is too slow, that's not enough reason. What I appreciate the most is the melody of Billie Joe's voice. I heard him like in any other song from the albums and I dare to say it's one of the strongest songs from the trilogy.

I think it needs to grow on me :D And please, do you have the pic for your avatar? I love it!

Completely OFF TOPIC: how do you guys make those trilogy inspired cover pics, I mean with your face on uno dos or tre artwork? I really want that :D

Archived