Isnt leaking of an album bad for the bands sales and stuff?

GreenDay98

Not everyone who downloads a leak is doing so in lieu of buying the album proper. But generally, yeah- pirated music tends to translate into poor(er) sales.

I got the digital box set for the trilogy, but I'm still planning on buying all three in store. Plus the free download of Uno that came with my ticket purchase. That's essentially 7 copies of three albums.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had the box set pre-ordered since the summer and I listened to the leak.

Nothing wrong with that.

To each his own.

People who were going to buy it are going to buy it regardless of when a free download is available before or after the album's released. Likewise for those who weren't going to pay for it anyway. It's going to be free to download anyway, leak or not.

If anything, if big news is made about the leak, it might make people take a listen, get interested and they might buy it after that. Those who get interested and don't buy it after that weren't going to buy it in any case so no lost profits there either.

Got pre-sale for all three albums. Downloaded the leak the moment it came out.

No harm done.

I paid for the Box Set, concerts and merch so i feel no shame with listening/downloading/watching leaked stuff :toocool:

People who are not huge fans probably won't even know of the leak, or else they randomly see it on PirateBay and download it and that just means they wouldn't be paying for it in the first place. I think it all adds up in the end. There is probably a few people who were gonna buy it, and then for some reason decide not to after hearing the leak, but at the same time I think the attention it gets from pre-release online sharing equals it out. In five days it doesn't really matter anyway.

And for my own justification, I listened to both the iUNO! and iDOS! leak, even 21st Century Breakdown, but that didn't stop me from getting them on the street date in physical form. I even bought iUNO! on vinyl even though I had ordered the box set, and I intend the same for iDOS! and iTRÉ!

What i don't get, is why Green Day didn't work with somebody like Spotify to stream all of the albums in the build up to the release dates.

THAT would have been awesome to have seen.

With all the placements they've been doing (CSI:NY, Twilight, The Campaign & Playboy.com to name some) i think a worldwide streaming service like spotify would have done them wonders. It sure as hell helped Mumford & Son's get to the top of the charts with 'Babel'

Not really, most artists get their money from concerts and most money made from album sales goes to the record label. I download music illegally with intentions of buying it later, I do a try before you buy. I get an album that seems interesting, if I like it I'll buy it, if I don't I'll delete it. I don't see any difference between listening to it online and I can have it on my iPod when I'm not at my computer.

Without the leak, people would wait until the album's release and wait for a rip.

With a leak, people who wouldn't have bought the album anyways, get access to the album earlier. Oh well...

On the flip side, it may encourage people to buy the album if they hear something they like, but the same could be said for a rip, I really don't think it makes much of a difference.

I am buying each album twice, on CD and vinyl, a leak will not stop me from me from buying the physical media.

I need the CD and booklet/liner notes. A bunch of MP3 or even FLAC audio files will not cut it for me.

Heck, the CD doesn't even cut it for me, which is why I need the vinyl.

If you download the leaked album you wont buy the CD not buying the CD equals bad sales and chart performances

I downloaded ¡Uno! when it leaked. When it was officially released, I bought it. I downloaded ¡Dos! when it leaked. I have it pre-ordered, which means I've pretty much already paid for it. I'll download ¡Tré! when it leaks. I've pre-ordered that as well. Your argument is invalid.

I download the leak because I get way too excited, but I always buy the CDs and occasionally vinyls because I like to have the physical copies of music I really enjoy.

Archived