¡DOS! Album

Liam

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not only the leaked Dos people have been talking about, the album came out on different days in different countries so it was available for some people to buy on Friday and some (like for me in the UK) yesterday, it's just come out in the US today. Everyone's just been coming in here to talk about it and get excited about it when they've heard it, feel free to do the same :)

Oh I didn't know that. Cool :)

All right Dos, about 7 or 8 listens in, I never heard any of these songs before, as with Uno and new material in general; I don't listen to live versions of unreleased songs.

What I've come to expect and look forward to in Green Day albums is new vocal melodies, Green Day doesn't really write new instrumental music but Billie Joe usually manages to write interesting and catchy vocal melodies that make or break the songs, even though I enjoyed Uno I felt it somewhat lacked enough interesting vocal melodies but Dos more than makes up for it.

Interesting lyrics remain a problem with Dos as it was with Uno, early signs of that was clear in areas of 21CB but now I feel Billie Joe is truly out of ideas and just writes words that rhymes, which he's still good at btw.

Random impressions of Dos:

* Only two songs that sounds like Foxboro Hottubs IMHO and these are It's Fuck Time and Makeout Party. Not only do they sound like FHT songs but I could swear they copied some vocal melodies from the FHT album.

* This here is a no brainer choice for single, Nightlife is the most unique song Green Day wrote since Jesus of Suburbia, I'm a progressive metal snob and Green Day is about as soft and poppy as my music gets but I still loved that track and acknowledge the creativity in it's structure and execution. The vocal effect on Billie Joe's voice mixes in and blends so gracefully in the context of the music and his vocal melodies are so good and catchy on this one. By the way this song would make for a cool Bond movie song.

* Lazy Bone is a prime example of amazing vocal melodies with the added benefit of cool lyrics over traditional Green Day song structure. I simply love it, it's also worth noting that without fail every Green Day song that has a long chorus -or a chorus with two different consecutive melodies- is always a winner with me, big time.

* Again great vocal melodies and back up vocal harmony's; Wild One. Lyrics are up there with the better ones of Dos and Uno.

* I've been whistling that little guitar doddle of Wow That's Loud all morning, fun song that's missing something I can't point out.

* Amy, wow! complete cluster fuck here. I know it's tribute song but man it doesn't have to be so damn dull. Is it me or is the chorus vocal melody very similar to that of Shoplifter's?

* See You Tonight is supposed to be a Song of The Century type of little song but it's nowhere as good IMO, Billie Joe recording his own back vocals instead of letting Mike Dirnt do it as usual is a huge mistake, he couldn't pull off the harmony or range diversity.

Other songs didn't leave deep first impression but I know I like at least 3 more songs very much, Stop When Red Light and Ashley are good. Stray Heart's video was so dumb it turned me off to the song but I think it will probably grow on me as soon as I forget the video just like what happened with Oh Love heh

Bravo Green Day :hi:

Sounds like See You Tonight sounds like a home demo like Amy was but with the echo turned on the vocals

What's everyone's favorite song so far?

I really like Makeout Party and Wow! That's Loud at the moment

Ashley, then Baby Eyes, then Lazy Bones.

I like Dos a bit more than Uno, but in my opinion both these albums are the worst of their career and by a long way.

Edit: I actually like Uno more, but I agree with the rest.

I'm really happy that Green Day releases three albums! The thing I love with Green Day is that they have so much different kinds of music, and that clearly shows in these albums! :) I totally loved Uno! except from Oh Love (I liked it, but not loved it), and I hink Dos! is really great too. Though I needed a few listen before I knew if I liked it or not. My favorites are Ashley and Baby Eyes. After them comes Amy, Fuck Time, Nightlife (I usually don't like rap, but this was great!), Lazy Bones and Stray Heart. I'm not quite sure about the rest, though I like them. I don't think I like See You Tonight that much...

Anyway, in my opinion both Uno and Dos are awesome albums and I can't wait for Tré! :D:D

That's what happens when you take the risk of releasing 2 albums the same year. A remote example from Hollywood would be The Matrix Revolutions not doing as well as Reloaded in the box office.

See You Tonight 6/10 sort of pointless like Song of the Century, kind of gets you into the album but nothing more

Fuck Time 8/10 should be the first song really, great beginning and solo especially, Billie's singing is great! Nice high energy

Stop When the Red Lights Flash 10/10 fuck yes, everything about this song is great!

Lazy Bones 8/10 good song especially the second verse although is annoying how it stops then randomly starts only to repeat the chorus again, pointless

Wild One 9/10 great song, rhythm section nice and the solo is cool

Makeout Party 7/10 oddly not very exciting, nor meaningful, expect better. If there had been one album rather than a trilogy we wouldn't have heard this song

Stray Heart 8/10 nice groove to the song and fabulous lyrics, kind of doesn't fit in the album at this point

Ashley 9/10 great progression throughout, unpredictable unlike many of the other songs

Baby Eyes 7/10 great beginning but fades a bit, sort of creepy

Lady Cobra 8/10 nice song, 'I just wanna be your friend' is Billie at his best

Nightlife 5/10 ridiculous. Bassline is excellent however

Wow! That's Loud 7/10 strange song, I like the 'collapse' at the end

Amy 8/10 a song I expected to dislike but actually find it very moving and could be a great single

Overall I would give Dos 8/10, some stand out songs but also some poor ones. I also feel some of the tracks are in the wrong place, for instance Ashley and Wow! That's Loud should be near the beginning with Lazy Bones and Stray Heart towards the end, in my opinion. But is good fun and a definate party record. Also sounds very much like the second Foxboro Hottubs record. I think I prefer Uno as an album but there are some fabulous songs I can't wait to hear live (especially SWTRLF)

dos at 34 on itunes chart..wtf!! :(

Well, duh, the One Direction album came out on the same day, what do you expect?

dos at 34 on itunes chart..wtf!! :(

It's showing up at #10 when I look in iTunes, and the censored version is at #49

Gotta say, whoever said back awhile ago "Dos makes me appreciate Uno more", I totally agree. Sorry, I don't mean to keep ripping on this album, but it's pretty awful. On the bright side, Uno was good and if Tre is fucking amazing, I would still consider their little trilogy experiment to be worthwhile.

Gotta say, whoever said back awhile ago "Dos makes me appreciate Uno more", I totally agree. Sorry, I don't mean to keep ripping on this album, but it's pretty awful. On the bright side, Uno was good and if Tre is fucking amazing, I would still consider their little trilogy experiment to be worthwhile.

It's really weird, I thought the same thing, I thought it would make me appreciate Uno more, but if anything I appreciate it less because for me I prefer this one so much more. Just show's how people like different things :)

I wouldn't say awful, but it's flat for sure. There seems to be no passion in half of the tracks, almost just phoning it in. There are some gems (Baby Eyes, Wow That's Loud, Wild One, Amy) but there's just something missing here.

Uno is better for sure, and I KNOW that Tre is the album we've been waiting for.

Anyone noticed line in Lady Cobra "her black heart beats crimson and clover" and line in Nightlife "my black heart beats crimson and clover" ? :D think it's great...

In Fuck Time, in the second verse, do they say "Amanda" or "a man to"? Someone with the lyric book would be helpful now :P

In Fuck Time, in the second verse, do they say "Amanda" or "a man to"? Someone with the lyric book would be helpful now :P

It's Amanda Jones :)

It really surprises me to see people saying it feels passionless, because us as hardcore fans know how excited and passionate the band is about the new music. So I think saying that there's no passion, or that there phoning it in, is wrong to me. I don't care if people dislike it, but I wouldn't call it lazy or passionless. I'm somebody that loves the hell out of all of it, and yeah, if they put the best 12 of these songs onto one album, I think it probably would have been one of the best of their careers. With that said, I think both DOS and UNO stand up extremely well in their discography.

Well now I am on the opposite side of the fence, because I adored 21st Century Breakdown and a lot of you all seem to be critical of it, although it's funny, people were only "meh" about 21CB after the trilogy albums were announced and in first comparisons with Uno, everyone was fangirling over it back in 09 here, so I kind of wonder if some of the love for the trilogies will fade with time.

I'm not going to write my review yet, 'cause I'm not done enjoying it :P But it's wonderful, I'm seriously loving it in an insane way :wub:

I wouldn't say awful, but it's flat for sure. There seems to be no passion in half of the tracks, almost just phoning it in. There are some gems (Baby Eyes, Wow That's Loud, Wild One, Amy) but there's just something missing here.

Uno is better for sure, and I KNOW that Tre is the album we've been waiting for.

I don't really know how you can say that. No passion? Give me a break. Aside from the fact that nothing the band does lacks passion (and Billie's current state of affairs is clear evidence of this), if you can't hear the passion in his voice in every song on the album I don't know what you've been listening to. Nothing sounds flat.

I don't really know how you can say that. No passion? Give me a break. Aside from the fact that nothing the band does lacks passion (and Billie's current state of affairs is clear evidence of this), if you can't hear the passion in his voice in every song on the album I don't know what you've been listening to. Nothing sounds flat.

I'm with you 100% there, I think this is some of the most passionate music they've made in years. You know all those crazy solo's? You can't come up with and play stuff like that without passion, it doesn't work.

It really surprises me to see people saying it feels passionless, because us as hardcore fans know how excited and passionate the band is about the new music. So I think saying that there's no passion, or that there phoning it in, is wrong to me. I don't care if people dislike it, but I wouldn't call it lazy or passionless. I'm somebody that loves the hell out of all of it, and yeah, if they put the best 12 of these songs onto one album, I think it probably would have been one of the best of their careers. With that said, I think both DOS and UNO stand up extremely well in their discography.

Passion isn't measured though, by interviewing the band about the writing process and hearing what they have to say about it. You can't validate Dos as passionate by saying "well we know that's what kind of guys Green Day are." A good, passionate album can be felt by someone who has never heard of the band before.

I think unless you can look at Dos from outside a hardcore fan perspective and say, a person who has never heard of Green Day in their life can put on this album and think, the band is really emotionally invested in it, you can't really say Dos captures the energy of Dookie, American Idiot, or even Uno for that matter.

Archived