Billie getting treatment for substance abuse.

Jaddedkitten

I pray Billie gets better soon! He'll get through this because he has a huge support system! Love you Billie! Can't wait to see you on stage again.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This makes me kinda wonder how much we're missing from behind the scenes in their personal lives :mellow:

I'm kind of neutral on the overall situation though with the information that we/I know (i.e he was drunk).

I think that if he needs to deal with some demons that we're not aware of, then congratulations to Billie for taking the first step in facing those demons (even if it was b/c of Warner). If this is just kind of Warner's way of trying to make up in some weird way for the whole meltdown, I think that it's kind of ridiculous and it's not going to fix what's already been done.

I mean, I understand that the boys are going to party, get drunk, and have a good time while they're still young- that's kind of common sense. I also understand that if it happens once, it can happen again and Warner doesnt want to risk that. Could you blame them though? Who wants to be known as the record company with the artist who can't even control his temper while being watched worldwide?

That's just kinda my thought on it though. I'm glad that he's going to get treatment if he needs it, but if he doesn't then I don't see how it will truly help.

So... he wasn't just drunk.

That's not necessarily what it means when they say "substance abuse" :P

Technically, substance abuse just means "abusing" any addictive substance. That can range anywhere from alcohol abuse to pot abuse to meth abuse ;)

god love you Google for making me sound smart

:lol:

Has anyone thought of any ideas of what WE can do for Green Day right now during this crazy time?

One thing I thought of is buying two copies of UNO, to show support for the band, and then giving my second copy to someone who I know who might enjoy the album or someone who might not be able to buy one for themselves. I know for some people, buying one album can be a lot let alone two, but I thought this would be one way I could actually support the band right now in a small, but tangible way. Anybody else want to join me?

I'll be up for that if you wanna spot me $10 bucks.

It'd be nice if Mike and Tre made another video explaining all this. I understand if it'd be hard for them, but at least the facts would be straight.

Adrienne's such a sweetheart :wub:

It's nice seeing her tweet, kind of helps relax the situation a bit.

^asshole^

Can't take anyone who says Green Day are completely irrelevant "figures" that aren't making any impact in the music industry seriously ;)

There are a couple things I want to say. Number one, I have said it before and I will say it again, Billie should not have let substances impair his performance like he did. However, on the rant, the fixation on "set getting cut short" is due to the media. Usher was allowed to play MORE than his allotted time. BJ felt disrespected for not being given more time himself.

It is obvious that Billie Joe is in a rough patch in his life right now (midlife crisis, 30th anniversary of his father's death) and on top of all that the promo demands for the trilogy must be incredibly taxing. I definitely think that he needs to wind down. That is why I think the promo shows are being cancelled.

However, I do think that this statement is partly due to Warner. This news was all over the internet, and there is no doubt that BJ looked like a mess. Clear Channel, and managers of Usher and maybe even Justin Bieber are probably putting pressure on them for the performance. Not to mention the amount of f-bombs dropped was pretty obscene even for Billie. Warner could be using rehab as a way to take some of the heat off. Billie may be accepting this because he does need to take some time off and put his head together.

I am NOT saying there isn't anything wrong (because there definitely is). None of his other bandmates composed themselves like he did, and he was clearly fucked up to a degree that nobody should be at. I am also NOT saying he is not going to rehab. He very well may be, and he very well may need it. All I am saying is that the way this was handled (a haphazard apology) makes it seem like Warner is rushing to limit the damage, both for themselves and for the trilogy's sales, as well as for Billie's health. One of my main reasons for this conclusion is that they could have kept his health issues private, but by going public they limited negative reactions.

Whatever is going on with Billie I hope he is able to get through it. I literally love this man and this band and hearing that he is ill brought me to tears. I hope he does whatever he can to get himself back to health.

If people want to hate me for reading between the lines that is fine. If you want to disagree respectfully, I welcome your opinions. I think we can all agree that his health is of the utmost importance, and that he deserves some time to get whatever help he needs.

James Hetfield has a tattoo that says "Carpe Diem"

He also has a song...Carpe Diem, Baby. I think it was on Reload

This isn't TOTALLY on topic, but I think that this thread needs some positivity added to it.

I was with one of my good friends today because he wanted to hear Uno. He had only heard the singles up to this point and liked what he heard. He is a fan of Green Day and really appreciates everything that they do.

As we were listening through the CD, there were a few moments where he had the biggest smile on his face. After the listen, he said that felt the same joy that he felt after hearing Green Day for the very first time several years ago. He was in awe over what they accomplished and said that Dos and Tre really could put them over the top to the point where no other rock band can compete with them.

These are the types of thoughts that Billie and the boys bring to the hearts and minds of their fans. Billie's health is priority #1 and we need to respect that.

I think the reason this is so hard for a lot of us to process is simply because we can't decide how serious this is or how seriously we should take this. Not even with regards to the "publicity" crap, just in general... I mean, obviously Billie isn't constantly in an altered state, he's been fully capable of conducting normal interviews and performances until this point. He just posted a picture of his dog. On the other hand, it's a pretty huge thing to announce that he's seeking treatment, considering he's used dangerous substances at different points throughout his entire life and never felt the need to seek/announce treatment before. It's just a very suspect situation in general. We're not entitled to answers, of course, but the whole thing is more confusing than I think it would have been at other points in time.

I think the reason this is so hard for a lot of us to process is simply because we can't decide how serious this is or how seriously we should take this. Not even with regards to the "publicity" crap, just in general... I mean, obviously Billie isn't constantly in an altered state, he's been fully capable of conducting normal interviews and performances until this point. He just posted a picture of his dog. On the other hand, it's a pretty huge thing to announce that he's seeking treatment, considering he's used dangerous substances at different points throughout his entire life and never felt the need to seek/announce treatment before. It's just a very suspect situation in general. We're not entitled to answers, of course, but the whole thing is more confusing than I think it would have been at other points in time.

I think that's very true. And based on discussion of this news on other sites I read, I feel like there's a lot of confusion and images/assumptions people have in their head about what people who seek such treatment look and act like. Like you said, we're absolutely not entitled and as worried as I am about him and the band (and their career, specifically, their tour, because I'm a selfish bitch), I don't think it's any of our business to know.

Yknow, I really think it's sweet the way Adrienne is tweeting. She's not making Billie's problem super public or anything but she's willing to address them and address the support they're getting. No matter the severity of Billie's problems, it takes a lot to do that, IMO.

Finally read through all these posts, and I'm not even sure what to say. I've been pretty shaken up about this all day. Moments like this are tough for a fan base because we finally realize our idols are human, but whatever sadness or negative emotions we're feeling are obviously miniscule compared to his family, friends and fellow band members. We must remember that and not be selfish. I'm just so glad Billie's getting help for whatever he's dealing with (honestly, why speculate what it is, it doesn't matter, it's obviously a problem if it's been made this public by the band's reps) and I hope he gets better soon, for his sake and his family's sake. The first step to fixing a problem is recognizing it and admitting it's there.

I knew there was something odd about the iHeart performance. Not in like a conspiracy theory, "I knew this was gonna happen," way, because trying to claim we all "knew something was wrong" is stupid. In my opinion, this is out of the blue. No one was talking about anything until this announcement was made. But I think it finally explains why I couldn't place my emotions in reaction to the so-called "meltdown" (as I said in the forum on Friday night). The jokes didn't sit well with me, and everyone saying "this is awesome, so punk, so funny" pissed me off. I could just tell something was... off. But I didn't know what. Very few people agreed with me at the time, dismissing "conservative fans" for not understanding his rant or finding it amusing. Well, apparently none of us understood what was really happening, because clearly there's more to it than one drunken night in Vegas.

Is like they had too much too soon in a way... which makes it all worse 'cause they were so happy about everything, the trilogy, the tour...

Agreed. I'm just sad on the entire band's behalf that this is going to overshadow everything. Of course, the health of the bandmembers is more important that success, but now there's just gonna be so much discussion about his health that nothing they do musically for a while will be relevant in the media or people outside of this fandom.

Agree with both of you, by the way. My initial feeling when I heard the news was disappointment because of this. It's supposed to be such an awesome time for all of them, there's been so much hype for the last few months, and it's sad to see this happen now. But ultimately his health is what's most important, and when you have a problem, you can't pick when it happens. Here's to hoping for a swift recovery and the eventual press they deserve for the right reason — the trilogy kicking ass.

Stay strong, Billie. <3

Billie just posted a photo of his dog on instagram, so he hasn't disappeared from the world.

^ God, there's gonna be so much annoying shit in the comments. I'm not even gonna read them.

^asshole^

couldn't watch the whole video but isn't it ironic how he posts a video about billie joe bitching while he's bitching about billie joe's bitching. what a geek.

^ God, there's gonna be so much annoying shit in the comments. I'm not even gonna read them.

I looked through some. All I saw were people supporting him.

This isn't TOTALLY on topic, but I think that this thread needs some positivity added to it.

I was with one of my good friends today because he wanted to hear Uno. He had only heard the singles up to this point and liked what he heard. He is a fan of Green Day and really appreciates everything that they do.

As we were listening through the CD, there were a few moments where he had the biggest smile on his face. After the listen, he said that felt the same joy that he felt after hearing Green Day for the very first time several years ago. He was in awe over what they accomplished and said that Dos and Tre really could put them over the top to the point where no other rock band can compete with them.

These are the types of thoughts that Billie and the boys bring to the hearts and minds of their fans. Billie's health is priority #1 and we need to respect that.

I totally agree. Everyone is just concerned for him and wants answers and when they don't get them they just go off on crazy tangents. I just hope he is okay that's all.

Oh Jesus I may even have a LITTLE bit of hope in humanity right now (and naivety), because I really would like to believe that people aren't THAT awful. :ermm:

Something I just realized that nobody seems to be mentioning regarding the iHeart incident is that Mike ALSO was smashing his bass. Of course, he was following Billie's lead, but in the moment the band supported him and did what he did. Obviously not grounds for the three members of Green Day to go to rehab, but a detail that I thought was interestingly being overlooked :)

The Chicago Sun Times just posted this on their website:

I understand that Armstrong’s Green Day team — including bandmates Mike Dirnt and Tre Cool— were all part of an intervention to get Armstrong to agree to go to rehab to deal with his abuse of various substances, including both prescription drugs and alcohol.

“Billie Joe has been a loose cannon for a long time,” said a Green Day insider. “It’s long past time when he should be getting some serious help.”

They quote an anonymous person close to the band as their source: http://www.suntimes....s-to-rehab.html

As someone who aspires to work/has worked in the news business, this is the shit that makes me cringe.

I'm by no means an expert (I'm just finishing up journalism school), but even I know "anonymous" sources like this are extremely frowned upon, except in extreme cases, for stories that are imperative to get to the public right away. It makes me sad to see supposedly "respectable" newspapers resorting to this just to get the first scoop on new "news," when really it's just preying on someone in a vulnerable state.

"It now appears that may have been caused by a tough night of hard-partying." <-- This, for example. Said who? Your own speculation. Yeah, that's ethical. Fucking ass hole excuse for a reporter.

It makes me feel so weird knowing he's been admitted to 'rehab' as people are reporting everywhere. It's the sorta thing that I see famous people go into that makes me automatically, and extremely ignorantly, think little of them. Completely different when it's someone that I care about. The headlines are making me sick, stuff like 'Billie Joe Armstrong finally goes into rehab'. I wanna go punch the journalists in the face.

I promise, we're not all bad. :S

Archived