¡UNO! Album

Sanity Loan

Amazing, then ¡Uno! is a solid album :D

I was talking about their albums in general, actually. And please, don't take my opinion as the gold standard. But I do enjoy all of the tracks on Uno individually.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The more I listen to this album, the more I like it. The only problem I have is there's no fluctuation - all of the songs are kind of the same speed and tone, for the most part. There's no ups and downs. But I also think that just enhances the fun aspect of the record.

The more I listen to this album, the more I like it. The only problem I have is there's no fluctuation - all of the songs are kind of the same speed and tone, for the most part. There's no ups and downs. But I also think that just enhances the fun aspect of the record.

Yeah, if nothing else (and there is a whole lot else), it sure gets me up and dancing, and keeps me there.

I like how the album ends with a slower song, it will be interesting if Oh Love ties in with the first track of Dos, it would give a nice flow to the albums if that happened, if it is indeed like what Green Day stated with Uno being getting ready for the party, Dos being the party and Tre being the end of the party. That would tie it in more, as a journey.

Has anyone else noticed that, according to the lyrics, ove the progression of this record Billie has his heart crushed (by the one he fell for), completely stopped (cardiac arrest), stabbed (like a dart board), strangled (on a noose), and then just get out of his chest and run away (on the loose).

I know this is random but I when I was listening to all the lyrics I noticed that and just found it kind of funny and amusing for some reason...

Wow!

Alright, second listen. Star ratings, * is poor, ** is average, *** is good, **** is great and ***** speaks for itself

Nuclear Family: Pretty good, ***

Stay The Night: Starts good, drags, **1/2

Carpe Diem: Hummable, ***1/2

Let Yourself Go: Quite catchy, drags ***

Kill The DJ: Someone kill the chorus, shoot the fucking chorus *1/2

Fell For You: Plain. **

Loss of Control: Good shit. ***1/2

Troublemaker: Is this even a track? *

Angel Blue: **

Sweet 16: Flew right by me, n/a

Rusty James: I'm not impressed. **

Oh Love: **1/2

So yeah, that's the crux of it. I guess the first listen caught me off guard because I was expecting something that would really make me stop and take notice, and when that didn't happen I wondered what the point was. This album is more for "easy listening", but that being said a lot of these songs are far too 'easy'. I guess I'm just jaded.

When I hear the beginning of Fell for You, I think of Church on Sunday. I don't even know why.

When I hear the beginning of Fell for You, I think of Church on Sunday. I don't even know why.

Well, it's the same notes I think: A - D - E

Yikes. Sputnik hates Green Day.

And that review also demostrated that they aren't even objective. They just are entitled in hating Green Day, because they album is good and there's no way to deny it. You can say you don't like it, you can say you hate it, but you can't say it's bad.

Like all the songs on the album except sweet sixteen, losing control, and angel blue :) Pretty awesome album! :D

For some reason i love the part in Stay The Night where Billie sing's "Tooo Knoooowwww" right after the solo...

I still don't get the hate for Troublemaker :lol:. I mean, you don't like it, whatever. But... *scratches head*

Like all the songs on the album except sweet sixteen, losing control, and angel blue :) Pretty awesome album! :D

Come to think of it, *Loss of Control and Angel Blue sound like they could have come from somewhere between Insomniac and Nimrod.

Troublemaker sounds like a mixture of The Network's 'Right Hand-A-Rama' and FBHT 'Broadway'. An amazing combination and one of my favourite songs from Uno :)

That's what I forgot to say in previous post! Thank you!

God damn I'd love another The Network album more than anything.

One question I wanna ask everyone: it seems like a lot of people have a problem with the album lyrics, why? Isn't the message of "This is meant to look and sound like silly fun because it's silly fun" that the trilogy's cover and overall theme enough? It's clear to me that after too serious mostly ominous themed political albums Green Day are stopping for a break from serious, they might have overshot it cause these new albums are even more silly fun than their 90's albums but if we expect this silliness based on this knowledge then we should be fine with it.

Unrelated remark: I went through the entire GD discography yesterday and today on my long drives. I've been a Green Day fan since 1998 and I can honestly say American Idiot is not just the best Green Day album in terms of craft perfection but it's also one of the best rock albums ever made in that regard IMHO.

Unrelated remark #2: Insomniac is a close second because it's the only other album where my finger didn't reach for the skip button on any track.

Unrelated remark #3: Insomniac production sound in terms of bass:drums:distorted guitars:vocals ratio would have been perfect if applied to Uno.

Unrelated remark #4 (at this point it's unrelated to what?!): I really don't like the sound -or lack thereof- distorted guitars on Uno, Warning was had a lot of clean electric guitar songs but the ones with distorted guitars sounded like distorted guitars indeed. On Uno it's almost like all the tracks might as well have been clean electric guitars, I needed that distorted attack sound of Green Day, anybody hear what I'm talking about?

I love the bass in Nuclear Family, Stay the Night, LYG, KTDJ. I mean pretty much every song. Its amazing. Though I'm sad that we have only one bass solo.

Its like Mike Dirnt is back, bitches!

I love the bass in Nuclear Family, Stay the Night, LYG, KTDJ. I mean pretty much every song. Its amazing. Though I'm sad that we have only one bass solo.

Its like Mike Dirnt is back, bitches!

I thought of you in the bass solo, and wondered to myself "I wonder if Ritz knows this yet" :lol:

That's what I forgot to say in previous post! Thank you!

God damn I'd love another The Network album more than anything.

I think the reason for the Network album has ceased to be, when writing as Green Day is as free as they can be right now. The previous two albums, Billie Joe has said a number of times during the promotion for the trilogy, he found to be rather limiting in terms of what he was able to put out there. My guess is that in the process of writing for American Idiot, they wanted to write and release more than they were able to do through the concept album so they put something else out. The same goes for Foxboro Hot Tubs. Just letting off steam before the epic release.

CounterAct magazine review

Since the groundbreaking American Idiot, punk poppers Green Day have been synonymous with ambition; the scale of that album, the musical adaptation, and even now, with the trilogy of albums (¡Uno! is the first). For a band previously known for their singles as opposed to their LPs, it’s a brave move, but also leaves plenty of room for scope (many diverse changes are promised for this trilogy). On the surface, though, ¡Uno! is deceptively throwaway. It’s also strange, given that this is a US election year, that there’s not one mention of shady politico figures or governmental gaffes, instead Green Day plough a more simple furrow that was last seen on 2000’s hugely underrated Warning. Aided by the crisp production of Rob Cavallo, it’s lean and revved, openers ‘Nuclear Family’ and ‘Stay the Night’ brimming with impossibly adolescent bullishness. Similarly, there are sweeter, more melodic punk numbers in the shape of ‘Fell for You’ and the lead single ‘Oh Love’. The album is charged and pulsating throughout, the punkishness of ‘Angel Blue’ and ‘Rusty James’ bringing back memories of the Green Day your parents would get annoyed at. The only real miss-step is the lacklustre dance of ‘Kill the DJ’, which sounds like something Alex Kapranos could phone in. ¡Uno! is simple yet glorious, the high moments hitting the quality of ‘90s Green Day, whereas the low moments are too adrenalized to be truly low. If this is the ‘pre-party’ segment, they’ve done a very good job. The keg’s back there.

http://counteract-magazine.com/2012/09/25/album-green-day-uno/

I don't know, I think Sweet 16 is kind of a slower, more reflective song. It also seems to fit perfectly in between Angel Blue and Rusty James, which are far livelier.

I feel like Hearts Collide and Lights Out would fit right in on this album.

They totally would!

I feel like Hearts Collide and Lights Out would fit right in on this album.

I'd agree, and they're not even songs I'm particularly fond of, but they do have that kind of tone.

Actually, now that I think about it, Cigarettes & Valentines would have fit very well on Uno too. But I don't need them to do that.

Archived