¡UNO! Album

Sanity Loan

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Comparing UNO with Dookie.

Wow very mature.

Not sure what this is supposed to mean. It makes much more sense to compare Uno with Dookie than most other albums. Comparing it with 21st Century Breakdown is pointless, as they sound nothing alike.

And your post isn't very mature, so I wouldn't get too big for my boots if I were you.

personally, i fucking love songs on UNO!, but it is not a good green day album. The guitars are just to clean and pretty sounding. I was pleased with the album until Thursday when i had heard UNO just a few too many times, so i listened to 21st Century Breakdown. Holy shit. The sounds and lyrics on Breakdown just make UNO! look like a Weezer album. There are some fine songs on UNO!, but it just lacks punch, powerful lyrics, and passion that the previous two albums contained.

I'm not yet convinced that ¡UNO! is their best album, but I have to disagree with you that it's not a good album. Warning was fer clean and pretty sounding, and it's among their best and most-overlooked work.

The sound of Breakdown, the sonics and production of it, kill me. It's too smooth and compressed. I feel like Butch Vig brought the whole thing down a notch, and I can't help but wonder what Cavallo's magic touch could have added to those songs had everyone been on speaking terms at the time.

The punch, passion and lyrics are there on ¡Uno!. The punch may be a little harder to see with the clean guitar ounds, but it's there. The passion is hard to miss, especially in songs like Fell For You and Sweet 16. The lyrics are like any other non-Rock opera Green Day stuff; they're honest, direct and soul-baring.

Where's the Weezer comparison, by the way? Some of Rivers' lyrics are silly, but they're generally good. They get some big guitar sounds too.

Sorry for the rant. I respect your opinion! I just can't agree with it. :)

Not sure what this is supposed to mean. It makes much more sense to compare Uno with Dookie than most other albums. Comparing it with 21st Century Breakdown is pointless, as they sound nothing alike.

And your post isn't very mature, so I wouldn't get too big for my boots if I were you.

I just meant that the band was in a different mindset and the circumstances were different during Dookie and its totally different for UNO.

All I'm saying is both albums are different. 1994 and 2012. Dookie was path-breaking. Well, both are different, that's it. I won't compare it.

Well, that's my opinion.

I just meant that the band was in a different mindset and the circumstances were different during Dookie and its totally different for UNO.

All I'm saying is both albums are different. 1994 and 2012. Dookie was path-breaking. Well, both are different, that's it. I won't compare it.

Well, that's my opinion.

Okay then, sorry, I took that the completely wrong way. In this way, I do agree with you :)

I saw the Uno ad on tv and i thought it was weird the way it was cut and it sounded like 'far away. far away, waste away tonight on a noose'.

IMO the first half of UNO is my favorite so far but I guess the rest will grow on me as I listen to it more and more :happy:

Troublemaker sounds like a mixture of The Network's 'Right Hand-A-Rama' and FBHT 'Broadway'. An amazing combination and one of my favourite songs from Uno :)

IMO the first half of UNO is my favorite so far but I guess the rest will grow on me as I listen to it more and more :happy:

Rusty James is also amazing. Love how it reminds me of Scattered :D

Kill The DJ, Nuclear Family, Rusty James and Angel Blue are my favourites. I have 45 plays of Kill The DJ on my iTunes, that song never gets old :).

Rusty James is SO catchy. Don't think I've ever learned (and had the urge to join with) a chorus so quickly.

Troublemaker sounds like a mixture of The Network's 'Right Hand-A-Rama' and FBHT 'Broadway'. An amazing combination and one of my favourite songs from Uno :)

The guitar in the chorus is exactly the same (to my ears anyway) as the guitar just after the chorus in Alligator. And I love this, because my 5 year old nephew loves Alligator and one thing we've always done is "sing" along to that bit of guitar together going "da da da daaaaa", it's like the first bit of guitar he ever knew and whenever he pretends to play guitar that's the noise he makes. So hearing it again in this fabulous song is awesome :D, yet another little thing to enjoy about it.

After listening to UNO! many more times through I think I have to revise my previous review, and unfortunately, not for the better. I think what did it for me was popping in Shenanigans on a long drive and just having a listen to it in full for the first time in a long while. It blows UNO! away. But don't just take my word for it. If you have both CD's or the songs on your iPod or access to Youtube, check them both out side by side. Now the songs on Shenanigans are B-Sides from earlier albums and singles which means, at the very least, the songs on UNO! should have a leg up on them, but instead it's the other way around. If you listened without knowing, I'd be willing to bet most people would figure UNO! would be the B-Side compilation. There are a few reasons for this.

Lyrics-- There is absolutely no competition. Just listen for yourself. No I do realize that Shenanigans has three covers and one instrumental, but even excluding those numbers the lyrics on the album are so much more genuine. It doesn't feel like someone trying to fit a mold. UNO! on the other hand? Well let's just compare. These lines both appear in separate songs, "You're a princess, I'm a fucking clown" "I'm a mess and your a work of art" Neither one feels at all honest. It's like something a sixth grader without the experience or capacity for love writes in a letter to the girl he has a crush on. We have the cliche "Carpe Diem, a battle cry" chorus, the cringe worthy, "I'd rather get punched in the face" or "Always fuck-fucking with my head now" then there's "The bullet that you asked for killing you to death" or "I woke up in a pool of sweat, a first I thought that I pissed the bed" the nondescript caricature of insane lyrics 'We're all crazy, you're all crazy now' or even "and all the losers can't even win for losing." These are just some of the slew of bad lyrics that come to mind when considering UNO!

Now let's compare to Shenanigans-- From Sick of Me we have "Like a dog that just pissed on your barbecue, sick of me." and really, that's the only huge misstep I can see. Already it feels to me like Billie took more time to write these old B-sides than he did to craft or revise anything on UNO! But then we get to the music.

Maybe it is just the clean guitar sound that a few people are complaining about but I think it has more to do with Green Day trying to recreate an old sound. Everything on Shenanigans feels natural. It doesn't feel like a regression for the band. It feels just like B-sides should. Like outtakes that you can place at certain points in the band's history. UNO! is a musical mess for the most part. I will concede that Nuclear Family, Kill the DJ, and Troublemaker are fun and experimental, but they're also about the only three tracks I really have any urge to replay or hear again. Stay the Night sounds like something that definitely should have been cut in the early going if only for its drawn out structure and meaningless lyrics. Carpe Diem feels like a hasty rewrite from 21st Century Breakdown, Let Yourself Go proves why snottiness just doesn't work at forty. Fell for You seems like it wants to fit on Green Day's early EP's, but it doesn't even measure up to the energy of those, same goes for Angel Blue. I don't know what the point of Loss of Control is. It's painstakingly generic. Sweet 16 is a nice, genuine love song, but it's nothing to write home about. Rusty James I'm still on the fence about because it has the passion that some of the other numbers lack, but it just hasn't fully grown on me yet. Oh Love is another dive into the lyrically devoid. The point I'm making is, Green Day should not have done a record of power pop punk whatever label you want to give it because they haven't been that in a long time and they're not good at it anymore. Obviously, there is a chance that DOS! and TRE! will have enough good material to justify releasing three albums, but if we only actually get three or four decent songs per record, I'm not going to fully understand the whole trilogy concept.

New rating: 3/10. I can't go any higher when your own B-side compilation blows away the opening to your 'epic' trilogy.

YES^^^^ Try listening to 21st Century Breakdown back to back with it

Rusty James is SO catchy. Don't think I've ever learned (and had the urge to join with) a chorus so quickly.

This. One of the catchiest songs the band has put out in a decade imo.

Today's the release of UNO album here in the Philippines. :D

Got my cd and i sooo love it! Can't say what's my fave yet, but i love all the songs :bunny:

I'm not yet convinced that ¡UNO! is their best album, but I have to disagree with you that it's not a good album. Warning was fer clean and pretty sounding, and it's among their best and most-overlooked work.

The sound of Breakdown, the sonics and production of it, kill me. It's too smooth and compressed. I feel like Butch Vig brought the whole thing down a notch, and I can't help but wonder what Cavallo's magic touch could have added to those songs had everyone been on speaking terms at the time.

The punch, passion and lyrics are there on ¡Uno!. The punch may be a little harder to see with the clean guitar ounds, but it's there. The passion is hard to miss, especially in songs like Fell For You and Sweet 16. The lyrics are like any other non-Rock opera Green Day stuff; they're honest, direct and soul-baring.

Where's the Weezer comparison, by the way? Some of Rivers' lyrics are silly, but they're generally good. They get some big guitar sounds too.

Sorry for the rant. I respect your opinion! I just can't agree with it. :)

thats funny you should mention "Fell For You", because that is the one specific song that i believe could be a Weezer cover, from like Raditude or something! haha The Green Day i grew up with was the AI and 21CB era, so this new/old less grandiose sound will just probly take some getting used to. UNO will probly be the worst of the trilogy. DOS will be rocking and someone said TRE will be on a more epic scale, so WE SHALL SEE

Yeah I love the Grouch, and Troublemaker... I would definitely not classify as filler. Anything that's sort of a "stand out" track (whether you like or don't like it) is not really 'filler'. 'All The Time' and 'Extraordinary Girl' I might agree on, though.

The only filler song on this album is kill the dj. I love kill the dj though.

I remember being so excited, hearing Stay the Night live from that soundcheck track :lol: Kill thr DJ kicks so much ass. End of. I love it.

Yeah I love the Grouch, and Troublemaker... I would definitely not classify as filler. Anything that's sort of a "stand out" track (whether you like or don't like it) is not really 'filler'. 'All The Time' and 'Extraordinary Girl' I might agree on, though.

Extraordinary Girl is amazing.. one of my fav songs:/

thats funny you should mention "Fell For You", because that is the one specific song that i believe could be a Weezer cover, from like Raditude or something! haha The Green Day i grew up with was the AI and 21CB era, so this new/old less grandiose sound will just probly take some getting used to. UNO will probly be the worst of the trilogy. DOS will be rocking and someone said TRE will be on a more epic scale, so WE SHALL SEE

Okay, I have a much better idea of where you're coming from now. I grew up in the Dookie/Insomniac era, so those two albums that brought you in represent the biggest changes to me. From the sounds of things, you'll probably end up LOVING ¡Tré!. If it turns out that ¡Uno! is the worst of the trilogy, then we are in for such a thrilling ride the next few months!

I have to say that I hated Raditude, and my (totally biased) opinion is that nothing on that album comes close to being as catchy as Fell For You.

Extraordinary Girl is amazing.. one of my fav songs:/

The person you quoted defined a filler track as one that's not stand out in any way. By that rule itself you can't call Extraordinary Girl filler because they go out of their way to try a new musical sound in it. Some tracks in Uno sound like they were penned on Billie Joe's sofa, and not in that charming way they used to have.

if Warning came out today people would probably say it is horrible, uninspiring, the sound of the guitars is too clean bla bla blablabla... many people have afterwards said it was one of their best due to what critics said and eventually other fans, and sadly because it was not a very popular album. My suggestion for all of you is to try and listen to the album without giving an absolute fuck about what anyone says, or thinking in what way it differs or not to other Green Day albums. I think thats the best way to give an HONEST response about how you really feel towards UNO!. By the way claiming that you like Warning and not UNO because this one doesnt "sound" like Green day´s old catalogue is kind of stupid, taking into account that Warning was far from anything Green Day had ever done.

Archived