¡UNO! Album

Sanity Loan

So, I've finally been able to listen to Uno! -- loud on the subway coming home today. I'll admit I was not terribly excited about the album based on the pre-releases. HOWEVER, I really, really like the album. As I listened to it, I felt like Green Day had taken aspects of every genre of music that I grew up with, threw them in a blender, added caffeine (or a stimulant of your choice) and voila Uno! Can't wait so see more of this music played live, now that I'll know it a bit better. In the interim, it'll be featured in my workout and travel rotation.

A few things stood out to me --

1) The pop sounding music very much belies the darker lyrics. Everything about this album is subversive.

Yes, yes, yes! Very this.

2) I found a pervasive theme of "I'm out of time" running throughout the entire album.

Yeah :/. But they had fun.

3) Although I could hear influences of a whole mess of bands, this was the first time I listened to a Green Day album and didn't think, "Oh, that's screams the Who, or Ramones, or Kinks, or Clash." When I listened to Uno! I thought, "That's very Green Day".

Yes! They've reached that point in their careers where they have a sound that is entirely their own which people can easily identify.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Selling 150-175K is not bad. 21CB sold about 200K in the first week so it's not bad at all. I believe the lead single may have thrown some people off

Yeah but 21CB is considered a huge flop based on expectations (took over a year to go platinum). I'm not sure what was expected sales-wise from Uno (or the rest of the trilogy), but I would bet this is about what they had hoped.

Again, I don't care how many copies something sells (sales don't equal quality), but I always like to see Green Day succeed.

I was thinking of something the other day: when it's all said and done, and all 3 of the albums had been released and whatever, will people pay more attention to the sales of each individual album or will they look at the sales of the trilogy all together?

Selling 150-175K is not bad. 21CB sold about 200K in the first week so it's not bad at all. I believe the lead single may have thrown some people off

yes! oh love, let yourself go, and kill the dj don't really sound like other songs on the album. i was so misled.

yes! oh love, let yourself go, and kill the dj don't really sound like other songs on the album. i was so misled.

Yeah none of them really give the feeling of the album. They fit with it but don't really showcase it.

Yeah none of them really give the feeling of the album. They fit with it but don't really showcase it.

i like those songs, but it's like, the 9 other songs fit together, and these are just random

Yeah but 21CB is considered a huge flop based on expectations (took over a year to go platinum). I'm not sure what was expected sales-wise from Uno (or the rest of the trilogy), but I would bet this is about what they had hoped.

Again, I don't care how many copies something sells (sales don't equal quality), but I always like to see Green Day succeed.

Selling albums now is a little harder than it was in 2004. Piracy is wayyyy higher than it was so that is a factor. 21cb wasn't a flop imo because American Idiot sold only about 50K more in the first week, and it was released 5 years later so a lot of the buzz was gone. As far as the succeeding goes, the fact that they're releasing a trilogy shows their success because a lot of labels wouldn't have faith in letting their artists put out three albums in a span of five months

I think Fell For You or Rusty James would have made spectacular singles. Or Stay the Night or Carpe Diem. I can't tell if this is just a case of always wanting what you can't have and never being pleased with Green Day singles choices... like maybe if they had chosen those as singles, I'd probably be saying "Why didn't they pick Oh Love or Kill the DJ?" Perspective, subjective....

Agreed. The only problem people seem to have is the fact that Oh Love was the first single. I would've preferred Let Yourself Go be the first single but I understand why it wasn't.

I think Fell For You or Rusty James would have made spectacular singles. Or Stay the Night or Carpe Diem. I can't tell if this is just a case of always wanting what you can't have and never being pleased with Green Day singles choices... like maybe if they had chosen those as singles, I'd probably be saying "Why didn't they pick Oh Love or Kill the DJ?" Perspective, subjective....

Exactly. We can never be happy xD

Fell For You would have been great, Rusty James would have been great... pretty much any of them XD. Cause... true to form, they've created another album full of winners without fillers. But. C'est la vie, it is what it is...

I don't have my hands on the physical copy yet... is the back cover actually a photo of Theo Stockman, or is it a picture of Billie TAKEN by Theo?

I don't have my hands on the physical copy yet... is the back cover actually a photo of Theo Stockman, or is it a picture of Billie TAKEN by Theo?

The latter.

d566e5be081f11e282c522000a1e957e_7.jpg

Billie looks like a sad clown.

I think if ¡Uno! was just by itself, Rusty James would make a great closing track. But Oh Love I think will be a nice transition into ¡Dos!

Picture taken by Theo I think.

Someone said it in this thread earlier, i dont have the physical copy too.

Which also makes me think that the cover photo, in addition to being a photo of Billie, was taken by Billie... on his computer or his phone or something.

After listening more to Uno! and leaks from Dos! and Tré!, i can understand why they said they are at the most prolific and creative times of their lives,. I mean, in this 36 (or 37 I don't know) songs I'm sure there will be a lot of songs that can enter to the classics of the Green Day's catalogue. Sorry if i can't explain myself right :P

Which also makes me think that the cover photo, in addition to being a photo of Billie, was taken by Billie... on his computer or his phone or something.

Yeah, he said they all took the pictures of themselves on their iPhones.

After listening more to Uno! and leaks from Dos! and Tré!, i can understand why they said they are at the most prolific and creative times of their lives,. I mean, in this 36 (or 37 I don't know) songs I'm sure there will be a lot of songs that can enter to the classics of the Green Day's catalogue. Sorry if i can't explain myself right :P

Don't worry, i understand you perfectly! Yeah it's all stuff that has "classic" written all over it. Sometimes perhaps iconic (though not in the same sense as American Idiot or something).

I think he said that the cover from the albums were taken by them. And in the booklet of Uno! it says "Cover photo: Billie Joe Armstrong"

Yeah, he said they all took the pictures of themselves on their iPhones.

That explains it :lol:. Ultimate in low-budget. "I took the album cover photo with my phone"...

I think he said that the cover from the albums were taken by them. And in the booklet of Uno! it says "Cover photo: Billie Joe Armstrong"

Yes that is why I said that ;).

If u got your at wal mart you got the clean wal mart does not sell unedited music sadly

My Wal-Mart sells PA albums. Ironically I bought most of my GD albums there, unedited.

was billie joe sitting in his car behind a school bus when the lyrics to Oh Love came to mind?

1230928763DimCXs.jpg

Exactly my thoughts! Don't stop when the red lights flash! My kid didn't think it was to funny when I busted out in these lyrics! I stopped Ok!

Don't worry, i understand you perfectly! Yeah it's all stuff that has "classic" written all over it. Sometimes perhaps iconic (though not in the same sense as American Idiot or something).

Yeah exactly! I can't wait to hear the whole trilogy :)

On regards to Uno!, today I put the album in my stereo and i played some songs with my bass, I'm sure everybody does it with a guitar/drums/whatever, it's always fun :)

Favorites for now: Sweet 16, Angel Blue, Rusty James.

I thought of a complaint about ¡Uno!!! :lol:

It makes me forget the rest of the band is there. It just makes me think about Billie. The vocals are too forward, and you can barely hear the rest of the band, especially bass and drums.

I really like Mike's bass lines on albums up through Warning, but the past three albums, you can barely hear it...

I'm not saying bass as a frequency needs to be turned up. just the instrument. I love his little licks!

However, Billie's singing has improved a lot, so I guess it's sort of a trade off.

I know what you mean, and i've thought the same. I wonder though if it's not a subtle theme that will run through the albums - with the bass coming a little more to the fore with Dos and the drums in Tre. It's a fun assumption..

Archived