¡UNO! Album

Sanity Loan

I want an acoustic version of Fell For You. I know it'd sound amazing.

It would sound just like it could have come off of Warning! :).

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would sound just like it could have come off of Warning! :).

It already reminds my friend and I of Shenanigans, but I can see it sounding like Warning too.

I was hoping they'd move away from the political rock anthem trend they'd been on with the last two albums, so I'm pretty stoked. I'd enjoyed the Foxboro Hot Tubs album a lot more than 21st Century Breakdown - which I found a little bit alienating.

Not that they should stop fighting for a political/social/cultural cause, but just that they needed to tone it down a bit and bring it in closer to the fans, make it more accessible, more universal.

Anyway, definite thumbs up from me. :happy:

I thought of a complaint about ¡Uno!!! :lol:

It makes me forget the rest of the band is there. It just makes me think about Billie. The vocals are too forward, and you can barely hear the rest of the band, especially bass and drums.

I really like Mike's bass lines on albums up through Warning, but the past three albums, you can barely hear it...

I'm not saying bass as a frequency needs to be turned up. just the instrument. I love his little licks!

However, Billie's singing has improved a lot, so I guess it's sort of a trade off.

I was hoping they'd move away from the political rock anthem trend they'd been on with the last two albums, so I'm pretty stoked. I'd enjoyed the Foxboro Hot Tubs album a lot more than 21st Century Breakdown - which I found a little bit alienating.

Not that they should stop fighting for a political/social/cultural cause, but just that they needed to tone it down a bit and bring it in closer to the fans, make it more accessible, more universal.

Anyway, definite thumbs up from me. :happy:

I loved 21st Century Breakdown, though. But in their spirit they have continued to fight for causes, etc., it's just not featured as strongly on the records..

I remember at least one of the songs shows off Mike's fantastic bass skills. Just can't remember which one...

It makes me forget the rest of the band is there. It just makes me think about Billie. The vocals are too forward, and you can barely hear the rest of the band, especially bass and drums.

I really like Mike's bass lines on albums up through Warning, but the past three albums, you can barely hear it...

I'm not saying bass as a frequency needs to be turned up. just the instrument. I love his little licks!

However, Billie's singing has improved a lot, so I guess it's sort of a trade off.

I agree. I need some bass. But the guitar solos in these songs are excellent.

Haha there are some great bass moments but I think going back to the retro thing having the melody and harmonic vocals prominent adds to the poppiness of it.

I loved 21st Century Breakdown, though. But in their spirit they have continued to fight for causes, etc., it's just not featured as strongly on the records..

Yes, that's what I meant, sorry! They've kept the spirit, but without making it the overt centre-piece. Which is awesome.

I'm falling in love with Uno! more and more every day. I love the sound of it. It's kind of different, but yet so familiar. And I love the lyrics so much; they're emotional, arrogant, into face, and brutally honest. Loss Of Control and Rusty James definitely have one of the best lines Billie has written in years. Back to basics type of music suits the album really well. It reminds me of nimrod and Warning alot. It also wakes nostalgic feelings in me when I listen to it, especially Angel Blue. Reminds me of old days when I was discovering Green Day and why they are my favorite band and why they'll always be.

Uno! will definitely be a Green Day classic one day and I can't wait to hear Dos! and Tre!, especially Wild One and 8th Ave Serenade, since I've fallen in love with live versions.

It's kind of different, but yet so familiar.

Exactly. Green Day has managed to create something new, so it's not boring, yet nostalgic, so it's not a complete 180 and reminds people of why they first fell in love with them.

I have to disagree that

I have to disagree... this is the first time in a long time where things like drums and bass really pop out at me. Not on every song, certainly, and it's more drums than bass, but I still can really feel the hits of the entire band here.

I have to disagree that

I have to disagree... this is the first time in a long time where things like drums and bass really pop out at me. Not on every song, certainly, and it's more drums than bass, but I still can really feel the hits of the entire band here.

Certainly, it's more "raw" guitar, bass, and drums than 21st Century Breakdown.

but take a listen to Armatage Shanks, where the drums are in your face, and you can clearly hear every bass lick without even consciously having to think about listening to the bass.

Certainly, it's more "raw" guitar, bass, and drums than 21st Century Breakdown.

but take a listen to Armatage Shanks, where the drums are in your face, and you can clearly hear every bass lick without even consciously having to think about listening to the bass.

I agree that there are less interesting bass parts here, for sure. I still really enjoy Mike's subtle bass work though, I think he just writes for the songs, and Billie isn't writing songs that require these basslines generally.

Also, I feel that the vocals are way too muddled in the mix during all of Insomniac. And they sound clear throughout this entire record, and you're right, Billie's voice is better than ever.

I intentionally avoided "spoilers" on the album, except for the singles that were released. So I was able to listen to most of it with "fresh ears."

"Angel Blue" and "Loss of Control" are definitely standout tracks for me.

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/news/newsPage.cgi?news09134m01

Their banjo keeps strumming, and now Mumford & Sons have the year's biggest chart debut.

The Glassnote Records folk-rockers' new album, Babel, will score a #1 album next week, with a total between 575-625k, besting Justin Bieber's previous best debut of 374k by what could be more than a quarter of a million units.

That's a lot of picking folks, based on one-day sales reports from music retailers both physical, but especially digital, which could amount to nearly three-quarters of the total.

Coming on the heels of front man Billie Joe Armstrong's iHeartRadio Music Festival outburst over the weekend and subsequent trip to rehab, the first of Green Day's three Reprise albums, Uno, will debut with between 150-175k, which supports the notion there is no such thing as bad publicity when it comes to selling records. Call it a punk marketing set-up.

Interscope's new No Doubt album, Push and Shove, the Orange County ska-popsters' first in a decade, will do a quite respectable 120-125k in first-week sales.

Atlantic hip-hop artist Lupe Fiasco's Food and Liquor II is on target for sales of between 85-95k.

Ultra's new release from electronic dance music icon Deadmau5, Album Title Goes Here, should do in the 40-50k range.

Green Day is getting killed by Mumford (why I don't know), but I was spot on with my 150k prediction!

I really like how Nuclear Family ends with 54321

It's like....let's start this album! Good 1st song choice.

That counting down sounds like something that could have been Foxboro Hot Tubs.

Exactly, starting the album with a countdown sort of thing. It always gets me excited for the next song i.e. Stay The Night! xD

Like in the book too, the little comment before Nuclear Family , that sets up the feeling for the whole album.

So, I've finally been able to listen to Uno! -- loud on the subway coming home today. I'll admit I was not terribly excited about the album based on the pre-releases. HOWEVER, I really, really like the album. As I listened to it, I felt like Green Day had taken aspects of every genre of music that I grew up with, threw them in a blender, added caffeine (or a stimulant of your choice) and voila Uno! Can't wait so see more of this music played live, now that I'll know it a bit better. In the interim, it'll be featured in my workout and travel rotation.

A few things stood out to me --

1) The pop sounding music very much belies the darker lyrics. Everything about this album is subversive.

2) I found a pervasive theme of "I'm out of time" running throughout the entire album.

3) Although I could hear influences of a whole mess of bands, this was the first time I listened to a Green Day album and didn't think, "Oh, that's screams the Who, or Ramones, or Kinks, or Clash." When I listened to Uno! I thought, "That's very Green Day".

Selling 150-175K is not bad. 21CB sold about 200K in the first week so it's not bad at all. I believe the lead single may have thrown some people off

Archived